Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Comparison - Los Angeles nightclubs vs. Las Vegas nightclubs

mrvip

We just wanted to get a brief concensus about how the nightclubs in Los Angeles compare with the nightclubs in Las Vegas, for those of you who have been to a number of clubs in both cities. Any opinions would be appreciated.

• 11 months later...
It Doesnt Compare. Las Vegas Crushes La In All Aspects.

eh i wouldn't say that. to me, there are waaay too many "commercial" clubs in both cities. too many vip, bottle service, all the hip hop on the radio mixed with 80's, oh let's stand in long lines to pay too much for drinks-type spots. i'm fairly sure there are some vibey, soulful, funky, no attitude, all are welcome-type spots in vegas, but i've never found any myself. there are some great spots like that here in la.

In terms of the quality of the venues, there is no comparison at all. The only really good venue in LA is Avalon. Quality plummets dramatically from there. The venues here are spectacular, even if they do host cheesy parties every week. Clubs here are just so nice, really classy venues. I don't see that in LA. The big places, like Circus Disco and Vanguard, are really not on the level of anything in Vegas IMO, although Vanguard has an awesome sound system. Las Vegas has some of the most impressive venues you'll find anywhere.

i hear ya vegas guy, but for me a nice room filled with lame people (not a judgement on vegas people as much as the tourists), bad music and overpriced drinks doesn't equal a great night out, either in la or vegas. if the question is truely just rooms vs. rooms i agree. if the question is what place can give a better night out, well i'd have to say la. again just my opinion, but that is what was asked for.

I agree with deepfunk, in L.A. I dont have to worry too much about what I am wearing to get into the club, stylish with tennis shoes is usually the attire. I dont have to worry about whether or not I look cool enough,or have an extrodinant amount of money to spend. Here I look nice, feel comfy, and know that if I bought my ticket online, I wont be yanked around by some greedy, arogant door guy, and get in to the club. I feel that in Vegas it's all about image, and here (at least in the electronica scene) it's all about vibe:)

The only club that I have always had fun at and only got harrassed once at is ICE. (my first time there they said no tenny's, but said if we changed he would let us in just come right up to the front of the line) Now that's coolness:aright:

I used to have a problem with dressing a little nicer to go out here in Vegas, but that doesn't bother me at all anymore. In fact I've come to like it because you're assured a much more well dressed crowd at the club. Also, you don't need anymore money to party here than you need in LA. Cover charges are pretty much the same, and so are drink prices. Tables and bottles probably cost more here, but they all get sold, every night, so clearly there are a lot of people who do not perceive the prices as unreasonable. Besides, selling bottles at 1,200% markups is what allows $20 million venues to be profitable. Without that revenue source we'd be partying in venues that look like, well, LA venues.

For the people who complained about the door staff at some of the venues here though, you are right on about that.

I used to have a problem with dressing a little nicer to go out here in Vegas, but that doesn't bother me at all anymore. In fact I've come to like it because you're assured a much more well dressed crowd at the club. Also, you don't need anymore money to party here than you need in LA. Cover charges are pretty much the same, and so are drink prices. Tables and bottles probably cost more here, but they all get sold, every night, so clearly there are a lot of people who do not perceive the prices as unreasonable. Besides, selling bottles at 1,200% markups is what allows $20 million venues to be profitable. Without that revenue source we'd be partying in venues that look like, well, LA venues.

For the people who complained about the door staff at some of the venues here though, you are right on about that.

good for you man. i'm glad you dig the scene in vegas. enjoy.

For non-commercial venues in Vegas, try these:

The Beach

702-731-1925

One of the oldest free-standing clubs in town. No big-name DJs but lots of the college crowd. I understand it's a popular pick-up spot for the younger set. Located just off the Strip.

Beauty Bar

702-598-1965

Part of the same company that owns the one in LA. A variety of different DJs and music on different nights. Their First Friday party (first Friday of each month) is legendary. Located downtown.

Empire Ballroom

702-883-8847

A throwback to the "old" club days. Various live rock acts early in the night and then one of the top after-hours beginning at 2 or 3 a.m. (but doesn't really get going until around 5). Great DJs, lots of house. On the Strip behind the Walgreens, across the street from the Monte Carlo.

Icehouse

702-315-2570

Stand-alone lounge/restaurant downtown. Various nights, some with DJs, some with live music, some with poetry even.