Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Calderone=monotonous, boring, snoozefest

Saw Calderone after hitting Carl Cox this past weekend. I'd been wanting to check out his afterhours thing for a while. Sucked.

I've no idea why people are crowding in to hear him. Stayed there for 3.5 hours (had no choice) and all I heard was tribal drums, repeated ad nauseam, all the sounding the same, hardly any basslines even. That's cool for 1-2 songs, every now and then, but then you have to bring it somewhere...and he didn't. There was no energy in that room, as packed as it was...just a lot of shirtless guys standing around, looking at teach other.

I though it was 1999. Actually that's unfair to 1999, since there was a lot of great music then.

I'm guessing it must be a k-hole, drug-fueled thing to appreciate, or something, maybe it's strictly a meatmarket thing.

uhmm.. yeah... i love how people talk down on a great dj the guy's specialty is tribal.. just like some crack heads like electro and all that shit.. everyone's got diffrent music tastes. dont judge.. and by the way about the k-hole thing who ever was doing shit like that on the night of calderone was their own choice i wasnt fucked up on nothing and still had a blast. so dont be so fast to say that it must be a k-hole thing. just my three cents 1L mate

Once Victor took the decks it was over. I enjoyed victor way more than cox. Actually once Cox started infiltrating some tribal rhythms I really started feelin it. I agree with Arg I find electro to be somewhat monotonous but I don't go chasing after it to complain about it later. If you don't like tribal drums then victor is not your way to go. As for me night was totally ill and VC was totally on!

Same here...am not a big fan of tribal...but thought the music was on point and vic kept the floor moving! This was a first time for me.

I went for Cox because I haven't seen him live since Twilo. Luv how he gets the crowd involved... but hate peeps standing and staring at him DJ without dancing...that's when I gotta pull out the elbow moves :gang:

"you just don't have the attention span to feel the energy build over a longer span of time than one song. Sorry if you need vocals or pretty trance synth lines to get off."

1. I gave him over 3 hours. A lot more than 1 song. Although, you might have something there, it did sound like 1, maybe 2 reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long songs...maybe that 3rd song in the 4th hour was gonna kick it up a notch.

2. Actually don't usually like vocals or pretty trance.

If you do get off on tribal, strictly tribal, and nothing but tribal...then yeah, I imagine you'd have a good time. That doesn't mean it's not monotonous.

I still cannot understand people.

Just because you dont particularly care for his style doesnt mean hes bad.

Is everyone on here so close minded to think the style they prefer is the best.

ITS CALLED TASTE!

I dont eat vegetables, does that make them bad, no.

Open your mind to new things. Experiment. If then you still dont like something, leave it at that - that you do not like it.

If everyone in this world had the same taste in things it'd be a very boring world.

Saw Calderone after hitting Carl Cox this past weekend. I'd been wanting to check out his afterhours thing for a while. Sucked.

I've no idea why people are crowding in to hear him. Stayed there for 3.5 hours (had no choice) and all I heard was tribal drums, repeated ad nauseam, all the sounding the same, hardly any basslines even. That's cool for 1-2 songs, every now and then, but then you have to bring it somewhere...and he didn't. There was no energy in that room, as packed as it was...just a lot of shirtless guys standing around, looking at teach other.

I though it was 1999. Actually that's unfair to 1999, since there was a lot of great music then.

I'm guessing it must be a k-hole, drug-fueled thing to appreciate, or something, maybe it's strictly a meatmarket thing.

:lol3: probably a waxman "fan"

Nope, not a Waxman fan.

Howells. Burridge. Zabiela. Sander. Howells. Deep Dish. Graham. Plump DJs. Hawtin. Tenaglia. Warren. Howells...

They play the tribal thing a bit, too. But they're aware that there are tons of tracks out there, old and new, many styles.

As I said, if you are into repetitive, tribal beats and not much else, then you will probably think Victor is the king. If that's your favorite iceburg lettuce, good for you. But lettuce is boring, doesn't really do anything except provide a little crunch to the food around it. I was expecting at least a good sandwich from Victor...all I got was a bowl of lettuce. Lettuce is old. It's been done years ago. Time to at least try some mixed field greens.

I did experiment (tried Calderone)...and didn't like it.

Guess you can't read or failed to read my last post, clarifying an earlier one. No, Plump DJs don't play tribal, Sherlock.

Never claimed to have superior musical knowledge, just pointed out DJs that I've seen/heard and like, all of them live, as well as CDs/online/etc, a few of which play "a bit" of tribal or tribal based tracks at times. Not sure why you have such a hard time with that. Are you a Calderone fan? Good for you. Did I hurt your feelings? Sorry, grow up.

My post/point/opinion was pretty simple...I don't like him, I was disappointed to find that out after wanting to hear him for a long time, and I was surprised at the number of people that go out of their way to hear hour after hour of tribal beats and nothing else.

In either case, you are the one who clearly is the musical genius...how could someone with nearly 20,000 posts in 18 months to this messageboard alone be anything but?

I still cannot understand people.

Just because you dont particularly care for his style doesnt mean hes bad.

Is everyone on here so close minded to think the style they prefer is the best.

ITS CALLED TASTE!

I dont eat vegetables, does that make them bad, no.

Open your mind to new things. Experiment. If then you still dont like something, leave it at that - that you do not like it.

If everyone in this world had the same taste in things it'd be a very boring world.

took the words rite out my mouth