Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Talks about No Afterhours

metro had an article about that this morning.. apparently that idea was in the works.. a proposal to have bars close at 1 am .. that was back in february and since then bloomberg has said that issue has been closed.. they're NOT doing shutting down bars early..

however there's this site called barsagainstblooomberg that claims before election time it'll seem like that topic's been closed but they'll bring it up again later.. after he's reelected.. those are just rumors however..

the NY scene sucks now....... plain and simple.

let them chip away at your right to dance.... a 80 year old law, requires a license to dance....

http://bars.firebloomberg.org/nytimes_article.html

the 78-year-old cabaret law, which requires a license for any establishment that allows dancing. In the past, bars have been padlocked when a few patrons were caught swaying to a jukebox or a jazz singer, and the Giuliani administration often used the law as a weapon against clubs that had made themselves nuisances in other ways. Under the draft Bloomberg proposal, the cabaret license would be replaced with a more general license for all bars, clubs and restaurants that can hold more than 70 patrons, that stay open past 1 a.m. and that are noisy.

soon, there will be no after hours, you see how crippled the dance scene is now compared to like 5 or 6 years ago....

keep going to the shitty big clubs and you will continue thinking like that

you have no idea what your talking about....

I haven't been to a big club in like 4 years... but look around, hardly any Dj can even hold a residency in a club anymore due all the problems.

Junior Vasquez hardly plays in NYC anymore, jonathan peters is here and there... even hex hector stopped remixing music, and relocated to miami...to DJ.

what u sayin...

That's cause both of them are past their prime

lol, you must have not seen the lines for roxy or the limelight/avalon on halloween... if thats for DJ's "past their prime", I would hate to see the lines for Dj's "in their prime"....

this thread is not about who's past their prime and what is one persons opinion about what quality is... the OP asked about after hours getting shut down....

I found this interesting article on the blatant abuse of our first amendment rights and how they get chipped away with each club that closes.... granted it's a little old, but it just shows how our rights are trampled on by this right wing administration.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0128,romano,26285,1.html

Giuliani and his successor will no longer need to rely on such local laws. The remainder of New York's increasingly anorexic club scene now has an even bigger demon to deal with: the feds.

According to the ACLU, the feds' new usage of the statute raises several freedom of speech concerns. The New Orleans plea states that glow sticks and dust masks, as well as vapor rubs and inhalers—all typically associated with raves—can be considered drug paraphernalia. The feds also nixed massage tables and "chill rooms," or "areas in the theater which are purposely kept 15 degrees cooler than the rest of the theater."

But, as Gatien points out, drug-free clubs and raves are an unrealistic, impossible goal. ."Maximum-security prisons have a big drug problem. You can't expect clubs to be an oasis where no crime occurs," says Gatien.

Across the country, city governments are using new methods to stem raves and electronic music events, which they see as havens for the use of Ecstasy and other drugs. In Chicago, an ordinance passed in May 2000 subjecting promoters of events in unlicensed venues up to $10,000 in fines (written so widely that even the DJ could be hit); in Saint Louis, Missouri, promoters are now required to end events at 3 a.m.; and, says Patterson, cities like Detroit are using local laws similar to the crack house statute to go after club promoters and owners.

So it's no longer a matter if the feds will use this law in New York, but rather, when. And the biggest question is, Who's next?

"If they succeed with electronic music," says Patterson, "then hip-hop and rock-concert promoters have something to worry about."

most recently, the banned some attire for NBA players, which to me is racist. Although thats the NBA, and not a club thing, it just shows how freedom is being chipped away, and the music, and the club scene is NOT that same, and is dying down....

I was at the nokia theater about a month ago, at some hippy show with my cuzin, and her friend had glow sticks....security came and took these away from her..... this is in NYC.....sad.

lol, you must have not seen the lines for roxy or the limelight/avalon on halloween... if thats for DJ's "past their prime", I would hate to see the lines for Dj's "in their prime"....

I never said that JP and Junior weren't still popular. I said that they are past their prime. JP's prime was during his SF residency and Junior's was during his time at the original Sound Factory and Twilo.

I never said that JP and Junior weren't still popular. I said that they are past their prime. JP's prime was during his SF residency and Junior's was during his time at the original Sound Factory and Twilo.

juniors prime defiantly was ALOT longer then just SF and Twilo... nobody takes the title "worlds most famous DJ" by being at their prime in 2 clubs...

http://www.thedjlist.com/djs/JUNIOR_VASQUEZ/

The most famous DJ in the world, NYC-based Junior Vasquez, has become a legend in his own time. When the Paradise Garage and The Saint both closed in the late 80s, Junior emerged as the singularly most admired and followed DJ in NYC and later, the world. He co-founded the underground Bassline club and the legendary Sound Factory, and later transported his massive following to legendary club world venues such as the Tunnel, Arena @ Palladium, Twilo, and most recently, Earth (at Exit). No other DJ in the world has held the attention of such a demanding, musically savvy dance floor for over a decade.

the real moral of the story is not to praise a Dj(s) or a club(s), the moral is that we have elected officials who are taking away our first amendment rights to freedom and speech and expression. Your old enough to go clubbing you can vote. Bloomberg gets a second term its a wrap.

bullshit!

there will always be afterhours, as long as there are elements, including alcohol people will party at whatever hours... my friend has started parties @

all kinds of hours just to not be bothered by police...

5am

9am

12 noon

3pm

7pm

afterhours is whenever!

there will always be afterhours...who cares if it isnt some superclub that does them? i've been to underground afterhours here in nyc many times. theres no stopping parties. and the cabaret law is a highly unenforceable law. whens the last time u even heard about a bar getting cited for it?

there will always be afterhours...who cares if it isnt some superclub that does them? i've been to underground afterhours here in nyc many times. theres no stopping parties. and the cabaret law is a highly unenforceable law. whens the last time u even heard about a bar getting cited for it?

Umm that's what closed down Twilo; When bloomberg gets elected again he will end all afterhours at major clubs on the west side.

this is the problem... everytime someone came from another state to NYC to visit(and they have never been here) , they wanted to go to a NYC club, as NYC is famous for them...

there will always be after hours everywhere, but the fact that others growing up in the next generation cant experience what previous generations experienced because of a law that basically violates the first amendment.

Is this what NYC has be reduce to... underground after-hours? Like I said, its been years since I went out, but now as I get a little back into it, I find it shocking that so much has changed, and it makes me mad that my first amendment rights have been violated by a billionaire named bloomberg who just spent 66 million dollars of his own money to get re-elected. Thats a more serious crime, having billionaires as elected officials, and allowing them to use their wealth to be elected into office, while all of our rights are trampled on, and we are forced to go underground and hide. Sickening! This is NYC god damn it, not some mother fucking town in the midwest.