Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Seriously what is the problem with trance?

I understand that NYC has its roots more attached to house/tribal/progressive but I enjoy good trance music. I know when trance djs play live they don't have extensive mixing or technical procedures as calderone, DT, or any other house dj you want to throw out there. But in the same effect I like not hearing the same song for 30 minutes. I think the song turnover with armin, gabriel and dresden, markus schulz, etc. makes for better sets because you dont get stuck with a beat or song that u dont like for that long of a time period. At all five trance sets that I have attended since armin at spirit in june I have heard non-stop hit after hit the whole nite. True one may argue that its like listening to a greatest hits cd on a unbelievable sound system, but I like that I can hear 30 different tracks in one nite, rather than run the risk of hearing a tribal beat that I dont particularly like for 20 minutes.....do what u want with this post....but keep the comments at a high level of discussion

I understand that NYC has its roots more attached to house/tribal/progressive but I enjoy good trance music. I know when trance djs play live they don't have extensive mixing or technical procedures as calderone, DT, or any other house dj you want to throw out there. But in the same effect I like not hearing the same song for 30 minutes. I think the song turnover with armin, gabriel and dresden, markus schulz, etc. makes for better sets because you dont get stuck with a beat or song that u dont like for that long of a time period. At all five trance sets that I have attended since armin at spirit in june I have heard non-stop hit after hit the whole nite. True one may argue that its like listening to a greatest hits cd on a unbelievable sound system, but I like that I can hear 30 different tracks in one nite, rather than run the risk of hearing a tribal beat that I dont particularly like for 20 minutes.....do what u want with this post....but keep the comments at a high level of discussion

I thinks to me, its because trance dj is just that... a trance dj.

I hate going out to a club and listening to one entire style of music the whole night. I like to hear a combination of trance, tribal, techno, ect...all mixed in, and trance Dj's are just that... a trance Dj

I respect trance. I went thru my trance period in the early 90s when it didn't sound like what it sounds like today, it was alot more ambient and etheral. BUt i will say that trance today has some of the best production out there..think about it.. it's very difficult to make a trance record that progresses and has a great melody if you don't know alot of programming and abit more music than your usual joe schmo

producer doing other genres. so respect and give credit where it's due.

Trance did change alot in the past few years. It used to be much more melodic,and more emotional. Today, Trance has become much more upbeat, and borderline techno.

Armin, Tiesto, PVD, they all changed from the way they used to spin. I know part of being a good DJ/Producer is to evolve, but I am not sure I like the directions they are going.

I think Armin is definatley the next big Trance DJ. :)

Thant's just my opinion.

to me, trance all sounds like the same...it's basically just a personal preference. I think any kind of music you're not into can seem pretty monotonous. I really don't like trance myself, but I'm not going to hate on it just because I don't happen to like it...the crowd that trance parties tend to draw is a different story...

My issues with trance are its predictability and the fact that once you drop a track you can't do anything with it all, except mix in and out of the front and back end loops.

A very close friend is a really big trance producer and I respect the production a lot, but there's just not enough variability w/ it live. I like to be surprised, not hit with the same 135 BPM beat all night with differing, yet, predictable melodies.

That said, I went through a big trance phase :-)

A very close friend is a really big trance producer and I respect the production a lot, but there's just not enough variability w/ it live. I like to be surprised, not hit with the same 135 BPM beat all night with differing, yet, predictable melodies.

:-)

And minus the BPM part, Progressive house is exactly the same thing

I thinks to me, its because trance dj is just that... a trance dj.

I hate going out to a club and listening to one entire style of music the whole night. I like to hear a combination of trance, tribal, techno, ect...all mixed in, and trance Dj's are just that... a trance Dj

you havent seen PvD or Armin or Scot Project or almost any trance DJ that has been in New York in the past few years then? PvD will play some of the most amazing trance melodies and then lay down some hard tech and somehow, amazingly change into a period of house that will get any crowd going wild... plays some breaks now and then too.... Armin the same although he travels less on the perifery of other music... Scot played "yeah" by Steve Angello and Seb Ingrosso... i dont see Steve Angello and Seb Ingrosso playing anything by Scot Project do i?.... have you seen G&D spin before? some like to claim them as their own, as HOUSE DJs, but no, theyre trance DJs, and like it or not, they rip it everytime with such a varied track selection... think about the house DJs that run New York right now.... Roger Sanchez, Boris, (Sander K is an exception, hes the best in my opinion), Morales, Calderone.... do they play anything besides house? think not..... have you ever seen a live trance PA? something like Nu NRG or PUSH or Rank1? theyre as unpredictable and live as you get... no spinning records, no beatmatching... just live insanity with tons of gear they use to make and manipulate sounds right there on the spot, you dont get any better or more talented than that

thats what i like to hear.... i myself left Scot Project @ Avalon around 5 to head over to Spirit for Armand Van Helden back in September (you guys know what happened that night) haha but the point is, it doesnt get more varied than that... the key is to be open minded.... Danny Howells on Friday night and Filo and Peri the night after... gotta show love for all the genres... ive even supported Timmy Regisford at Shelter.... and yes, im only 18... i wish people my age would be just as open minded

you havent seen PvD or Armin or Scot Project or almost any trance DJ that has been in New York in the past few years then? PvD will play some of the most amazing trance melodies and then lay down some hard tech and somehow, amazingly change into a period of house that will get any crowd going wild... plays some breaks now and then too.... Armin the same although he travels less on the perifery of other music... Scot played "yeah" by Steve Angello and Seb Ingrosso... i dont see Steve Angello and Seb Ingrosso playing anything by Scot Project do i?.... have you seen G&D spin before? some like to claim them as their own, as HOUSE DJs, but no, theyre trance DJs, and like it or not, they rip it everytime with such a varied track selection... think about the house DJs that run New York right now.... Roger Sanchez, Boris, (Sander K is an exception, hes the best in my opinion), Morales, Calderone.... do they play anything besides house? think not..... have you ever seen a live trance PA? something like Nu NRG or PUSH or Rank1? theyre as unpredictable and live as you get... no spinning records, no beatmatching... just live insanity with tons of gear they use to make and manipulate sounds right there on the spot, you dont get any better or more talented than that

to be honest, I like trance back in the late 90's... songs like dream universe, greece 2000, Bilamos, Cream,Twilo Thunder....

the trance these days has changed, and I dont like it. It like all fluff, or just filler tracks... still some good trance tracks, and I still put a couple in when I make a cd, but overall, more junk then good.

My favotire dance track of ALL TIME is I never knew love like this by matt darey. So its not that I am a trance hater, its just that these days trance is not really as exciting as it was.

a song like I never knew love like this , now thats incredible... but the trance vocals these days are way, way to fluffy...

you gotta get the right vocals! dont go by a Ultra Trance compilation, i dont think theres any CDs out in New York that can give you the real shit... some amazing vocals in the past year, "need to feel loved" by Reflekt and Delline Bass.... "shivers" by Armin... just too many to name, i dont know where to start... sure, CDs back in 2000 or earlier stayed TRUER to true trance than the "trance compilations" of today... the Tranzworld CDs back in 2000 and then were as trance as it gets, just amazing stuff straight from Europe... now, all we have is Ultra Trance, mixed by The Riddler and the once in a while export that makes it big, like PvD's latest CD, "POD2" (amazing)... but if you look hard enough elsewhere, youll see its just as quality as it ever was...

Guys.

If you are looking for some good consistent Trance, you may want to check out the Trance Channel on Digitally Imported Radio. (www.di.fm)

I've been listening to them for a few years now and I am hooked.

:)

I use to listen to DI when they ONLY had trance for like a few hundred people.

Their deep house is much much better.

I loved most of the trance that was coming out before 96, after that it's mostly crap, but i still go to 1 or 2 shows a year.

some psy stuff is good, but its pretty mindless stuff

i usually prefer the harder stuff

I agree Psy can be good. Personally, I can only tollorate it its mild Psy with alot of melodies. Yahel is great, Infected Mushrooms can be good...etc.