Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does anybody think its a problem when mostly only "DJS" are buying the music

Was having a conversation a few mins ago and this topic came up, what do you guys think. Like in most music genres it seems alot more fans are willing to buy the music they like while here in the house scene it seems every fan wants the songs for free and even some djs dont even buy their stuff (im not talking about big name djs of course). DISCUSS:

Lots of big name DJs don't buy much of their stuff. When you get as big as DJs like Digweed and Tenaglia, you have promos, edits, CDRs and exclusive music flying out of your ass, long before they are released (assuming they are ever released). Sasha is so big that he apparently has people that work for him that screen music, because he can't keep up with it all. With Beatport and other online sites I buy almost all my stuff, and whatever I can't get there I buy on vinyl.

Lots of big name DJs don't buy much of their stuff. When you get as big as DJs like Digweed and Tenaglia, you have promos, demos, CDRs and exclusive music flying out of your ass. Sasha is so big that he apparently has people that work for him that screen music, because he can't keep up with it all. With Beatport and other online sites I buy almost all my stuff, and whatever I can't get there I buy on vinyl.

same can be said bout Armin Van Buuren, Pete Tong, Markus Schulz or basically any big name DJ that has a radio show

I " BUY " my music, but what completely turns me off to the dance music practices of retailing, is when the big DJ,s have a mix of something thats never released and of course this will be the mix that really kicks ass, but WE cant buy it! Or a label sends out something to 100 of the big DJ,s but doesnt release it, and instead releases some cheesey track.

How many times do you go to the record store but you have to sift through 50 pieces of shit, to find one decent record?

If the labels would release stuff people want to buy.......

I also understand a label doing advance copies, and promos, but theres alot of really good stuff that never makes it to market! Then what they do put on the shelves doesnt sell cause it sucks! I WONT buy something just because its on a particular label, it has to be WHAT I WANT!

Look at the auto industry! Cars, particularly Chrysler! They got the hottest looking cars in the 30 to 40 thousand dollar class, and all i see out there is MANY 300,s and that cool litle station wagon, and Im starting to see the new Dodge Charger out there, etc!

If you give the people what they want, they seem to be buying it!

I think part of the problem is that its hard to find the name of, for example, an instrumental tribal drum track when all you know is dum dedum, dum dedum. Or a track with a one word vocal sample, and then the title has nothing to do with that one word. Or loving a track when you are, uh, elevated and trying to remember later.

Also, I know that with certain big or vocal tracks, we've heard them enough that by the time they make it to cd single we're sick of the track already. Its great nyc djs get stuff so early but the lag in time until release can hurt (and ofter its released you know you'll get sick of it all the time in smaller clubs / bars).

Last, probably for some people, music that sounds so amazing and crisp on a perfect sound system, under flashing lights and surrounded by lots of happy beautiful people, just doesn't hold up played at home on their tiny stereo and not sequenced into an energetic dj set.

Last, probably for some people, music that sounds so amazing and crisp on a perfect sound system, under flashing lights and surrounded by lots of happy beautiful people, just doesn't hold up played at home on their tiny stereo and not sequenced into an energetic dj set.

There's also no marketing of house music. You hear it on a commercial or a artsy site, but that's about it. No marketing, no mass appeal, no purchases.

There's also no marketing of house music. You hear it on a commercial or a artsy site, but that's about it. No marketing, no mass appeal, no purchases.
This is 100% true! Part of the problem is YOU cant market instrumsental tracks with no image behind the music i.e. An Artist!

The second part is because House music became so instrumental Hollywood and the fashion industry turned to Hip Hop! Once Hollywood went Hip Hop, that was the BEST marketing you could ever hope to get, IT works, and America followed!

Think about it! Disco! Disco was around before they called it Disco, 1976 or so! R & B flavored dancey tunes were around. But in 1976 with the movie Saturday Night Fever, Disco became the hottest thing, ever! Hollywood made it happen, and an entire industry developed to market the cool new Hollywood thing! As it happened, an entire sub culture was born of it, and we had lots of pop dance tunes with lots of artists,bands vocals and marketing, as well as more serious underground dance music, but also, this music was radio freindly, and movies used it in their soundtracks, commercials used it, this is what House, or EDM does NOT have anymore!

..part of the problem is that its hard to find the name of, for example, an instrumental tribal drum track when all you know is dum dedum, dum dedum. Or a track with a one word vocal sample,

Agree.. and it's not helped by artists that release tracks titled things like "10.mp3" and no b***** mp3 tags! I have a couple of tracks right now that I want to buy as albums, but can't coz I don't remember where I downloaded them and there is no other info in the files !!

Come on guys, help us to help you eh ?

This is 100% true! Part of the problem is YOU cant market instrumsental tracks with no image behind the music i.e. An Artist!

The second part is because House music became so instrumental Hollywood and the fashion industry turned to Hip Hop! Once Hollywood went Hip Hop, that was the BEST marketing you could ever hope to get, IT works, and America followed!

Think about it! Disco! Disco was around before they called it Disco, 1976 or so! R & B flavored dancey tunes were around. But in 1976 with the movie Saturday Night Fever, Disco became the hottest thing, ever! Hollywood made it happen, and an entire industry developed to market the cool new Hollywood thing! As it happened, an entire sub culture was born of it, and we had lots of pop dance tunes with lots of artists,bands vocals and marketing, as well as more serious underground dance music, but also, this music was radio freindly, and movies used it in their soundtracks, commercials used it, this is what House, or EDM does NOT have anymore!

Yeah but say house music did become big, we'd all be sitting here complaining how the club scene is filled with house music posers and how it isn't what it used to be.

Catch 22

Yeah but say house music did become big, we'd all be sitting here complaining how the club scene is filled with house music posers and how it isn't what it used to be.

Catch 22

Ok, umm, well, actually, House music already had been BIG! Think back, or maybe you might not know, but in the 80,s all the house like the Chicago stuff etc, many didnt think much of it! Many said it would never make it commercially, that it wasnt music. But things happened, C & C Music Factorys "Gonna make You Sweat" DID open up House music to the world, C & C wons grammys for that record, and house did start to take off all over the place, and house songs were in fact making it onto the airwaves and into movies and commercials! But, the music had artists, and vocals, unlike what we have now, mostly! By 1994, the house and underground club scene was being invaded by the posers! And it did get watered down! Then the music changed, going back underground, but, this time, and for the first time since I have been into music, we went almost totally instrumental, this is when it started to fall off!

Truthfully, the house music, and its scene is nothing like it originally was, everything does change, but house and EDM got stale! Too much music relying on sampling, computers, rather than original ideas and music with individuality. People want to hear songs, people go out and buy songs, people driving in their cars sing the songs they are listening to on the radio, or CD or satellite radio!

Hip Hop, and R & B, even though not my personal taste in music, appeals to people BECAUSE it has lyrics they can sing along, or just listen to! Hip Hop and R & B also have artists with images that sell the music, and people follow what they see in the media! Doesnt media and entertainment stars create trends and styles of dress and whats cool, that the public follow and emulate? During the 80,s through the reign of Madonna, didnt every young woman dress like Madonna, wanting to be the " Material Girl " ? I remember 1976, after Saturday Night Fever came out, every store was running out of white suits and black shirts! And every club you went to, men looked like John Travolta did in the movie! Everyone was "Ah Ah Ah Ah Staying alive, staying alive", and we were all looking for " More Than A woman, More than a Woman to me ". Before the Hip Hop stars began driving Hummers, how many did you see on the roads? But once Puffy and a few others got them, everybody had to have a Hummer! Get my point?

Some of the music made now for dance floors is cool, but, tracks, not songs, and the mainstream general public is not looking for tracks, for them, songs with artists are what catch them!

Everyone knows the words to all Missy Elliots cuts!

You have to have a product they want to buy, then you can market it!

Was having a conversation a few mins ago and this topic came up, what do you guys think. Like in most music genres it seems alot more fans are willing to buy the music they like while here in the house scene it seems every fan wants the songs for free and even some djs dont even buy their stuff (im not talking about big name djs of course). DISCUSS:

If I have to pay 50$ (average) to get into a club, they better be the ones buying the music. If they want me to go out and buy them myself, then lower the cover. Until then... Limewire

i dont think its just house, i know plenty of djs who dont buy ANY of the stuff the mix if its mp3s and most ppl just prefer to download these days anyway. It's all about the quality of music most the time, a lot of it sucks, so we just want that one really great song and not the entire shitty album.

Its rare nowadays that anyone will pay for shit. Although now with sites that offer downloads of songs for a small fair price, its slowly becoming more the norm. I try to find stuff I want off of pay sites and i dont mind paying a dollar or a bit more for just one song I really want digitally or as a single with a few good remixes.

The other thing is, djs especially have over the years shelled out LOTS of cash on vinyl most of all even cds and to be honest they dont make back a lot of that money even with the gigs they get, there are a few that break even but most dont. Yah thats pretty much it.

If I have to pay 50$ (average) to get into a club, they better be the ones buying the music. If they want me to go out and buy them myself, then lower the cover. Until then... Limewire

Maybe prices would be lower at parties if some djs were able to make a living off of their productions/cds if people would purchase them and not steal them, as well as their gigs. Who knows.

Ok, umm, well, actually, House music already had been BIG! Think back, or maybe you might not know, but in the 80,s all the house like the Chicago stuff etc, many didnt think much of it! Many said it would never make it commercially, that it wasnt music. But things happened, C & C Music Factorys "Gonna make You Sweat" DID open up House music to the world, C & C wons grammys for that record, and house did start to take off all over the place, and house songs were in fact making it onto the airwaves and into movies and commercials! But, the music had artists, and vocals, unlike what we have now, mostly! By 1994, the house and underground club scene was being invaded by the posers! And it did get watered down! Then the music changed, going back underground, but, this time, and for the first time since I have been into music, we went almost totally instrumental, this is when it started to fall off!

Truthfully, the house music, and its scene is nothing like it originally was, everything does change, but house and EDM got stale! Too much music relying on sampling, computers, rather than original ideas and music with individuality. People want to hear songs, people go out and buy songs, people driving in their cars sing the songs they are listening to on the radio, or CD or satellite radio!

Hip Hop, and R & B, even though not my personal taste in music, appeals to people BECAUSE it has lyrics they can sing along, or just listen to! Hip Hop and R & B also have artists with images that sell the music, and people follow what they see in the media! Doesnt media and entertainment stars create trends and styles of dress and whats cool, that the public follow and emulate? During the 80,s through the reign of Madonna, didnt every young woman dress like Madonna, wanting to be the " Material Girl " ? I remember 1976, after Saturday Night Fever came out, every store was running out of white suits and black shirts! And every club you went to, men looked like John Travolta did in the movie! Everyone was "Ah Ah Ah Ah Staying alive, staying alive", and we were all looking for " More Than A woman, More than a Woman to me ". Before the Hip Hop stars began driving Hummers, how many did you see on the roads? But once Puffy and a few others got them, everybody had to have a Hummer! Get my point?

Some of the music made now for dance floors is cool, but, tracks, not songs, and the mainstream general public is not looking for tracks, for them, songs with artists are what catch them!

yeah I know what you mean. I was a techno DJ in the 80's. I remember the house stuff happening then. Completely forgot.

Awesome post, i also think the problem with songs today are the vocals tracks they all follow a similar formular now adays and sound like water down stuff. Souless singers is what im trying to say.

I may be the minority here, but personally I think it's not worth buying CDs for what they cost in megastores when I get tired of listening to the same track (or the same mix, for that matter) very fast. I can only listen to a track (or a mix) a few times - I want to hear new shit all the time! That reminds me of a few months back when every other mix CD contained Deep Dish's "Say Hello" - to this day I feel like vomiting whenever I come across it...

There are so few tracks that I admire years and years after - "Sandstorm" is still my absolute all time favorite. But that's probably because of that incredible night in Dady-Os in Cancun the description of which belongs in the "Drama" forum...

I may be the minority here, but personally I think it's not worth buying CDs for what they cost in megastores when I get tired of listening to the same track (or the same mix, for that matter) very fast. I can only listen to a track (or a mix) a few times - I want to hear new shit all the time! That reminds me of a few months back when every other mix CD contained Deep Dish's "Say Hello" - to this day I feel like vomiting whenever I come across it...

There are so few tracks that I admire years and years after - "Sandstorm" is still my absolute all time favorite. But that's probably because of that incredible night in Dady-Os in Cancun the description of which belongs in the "Drama" forum...

Theres an old saying that good music comes and goes but great music never fades. Its part of the conversation that the quality of some of the music that is out tehre now adays isnt really that good. How many tracks can you name that have come out that will be endured and played in 15 yrs or so and looked back with a wow that was such a great song then and influential and still sounds good now. PLay a song at a party like DEEP DISH "FLASHDANCE" and people will be like oh wow yeah that songs old, some will say sounds ok, some will say im tired of it. But play a classic from later 80's like ROYAL HOUSE "CAN YOU PARTY" and watch how the floor goes crazy.

Good music is timeless, I never get tired of things Like Soul Makossa by Manu Dibango, as funky now, as it was back in 1973! Really is, too! Marvin Gayes, Sexual Healing always evokes some kind of emotional response, its when you start listening to todays disposable repetitive tracks, and you have a dozen other tracks unremarkably very similar if not almost the same, that I become bored listening to the music!

Havent gotten tired of Marshall Jefferson,s classic Move your Body, either!

As a matter of fact, i was playing Royal House " Can U party " alot this summer, and you know, people still love that song/track, even the kids that have no idea what it is! It just MOOOVES you!

problem is DJ are buying the music, and the music fans arent buying it, they are stealing it by downloading it, and stuff

a friend of mine is a hip-hop / r&B dj and hardly buys any of his own music. i'm sure as he does it there are thousands who do the same thing yet it doesn't seem to bother the hip-hop "establishment"

so i say it's a marketing problem and the consumer not being able to relate to this instrumental, sample driven music.

there aren't any proper artists presented to us as consumers therefore we have nothing to relate to....

2 b cont'd