Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why is Dance Music so Anti-producer/ Pro-DJ?

edubz

Ok, I am pretty sure we have all been there. You hear a good track in a DJ set, go to the booth, ask the DJ, hear a mix online, ask the DJ, only not to get a response... almost like the DJ doesnt want to many people to find out the name of a track...

Is this bad, when the people MAKING and PRODUCING the music are not getting the fame, while the people just PLAYING the music are getting all the fame?

I don't know if it's really the reason, but club music really isn't fit too well to get fame for its producers. I go to clubs to party, relax, have a good time, unwind after work, forget about the hassles of life. Although I have to like the music, it's not likely I'm going to want to listen to one particular track outside the club - therefore I don't really care what it is.

What I do care about is hearing a consistent set of stuff I like, and getting a great vibe from the party crowd. It's the DJ's job to put together sets like those - that's where DJs get their fame from. That's exactly why I like Boris so much - he delivers 5 hours of awesome tribal, consistent, not boring, gets the crowd crazy, but I never remember a single particular track from those nights.

I don't know if it's really the reason, but club music really isn't fit too well to get fame for its producers. I go to clubs to party, relax, have a good time, unwind after work, forget about the hassles of life. Although I have to like the music, it's not likely I'm going to want to listen to one particular track outside the club - therefore I don't really care what it is.

What I do care about is hearing a consistent set of stuff I like, and getting a great vibe from the party crowd. It's the DJ's job to put together sets like those - that's where DJs get their fame from. That's exactly why I like Boris so much - he delivers 5 hours of awesome tribal, consistent, not boring, gets the crowd crazy, but I never remember a single particular track from those nights.

After 5 hours of pots and pans from boring boris I don't blame you freak.

Ok, I am pretty sure we have all been there. You hear a good track in a DJ set, go to the booth, ask the DJ, hear a mix online, ask the DJ, only not to get a response... almost like the DJ doesnt want to many people to find out the name of a track...

Is this bad, when the people MAKING and PRODUCING the music are not getting the fame, while the people just PLAYING the music are getting all the fame?

There's def some truth to this. However.....

To believe that 'credit' should be given fully to the producer and not the DJ, is to deny the fact that the club experience, like the concert experience is very much a visual and personal experience. The DJ is the one getting you excited, jumping around, getting the crowd amped up. Not the pale and pasty dude who never leaves his studio, and put out the dope track,

its just how it goes. in all the music genre's that get fame in this country and play on tv its the artist/singers not producers that get the fame. in dance its opposite the dj gets the fame and not the producers. thats y the dj's are the one making all the tunes these days

and some djs have a magic record. it's a record that he likes so much and thinks will wake up any dance floor. but he wants to keep it a secret so you won't hear it everytime u people out.then it won't be special anymore.

i've actually heard this before so it's not something i just made up.

and some djs have a magic record. it's a record that he likes so much and thinks will wake up any dance floor. but he wants to keep it a secret so you won't hear it everytime u people out.then it won't be special anymore.

i've actually heard this before so it's not something i just made up.

belive it or not the theory works :) at red zone morales had everyone looking for this one record...."hit'em with the bass" .... i believe it never saw the light of a release date and well it would make the dancefloor go ballistic every single freaking time.... aaaaaaaaaaahhh those secret BOMBS~!

As a matter of fact it is this that made junior vasquez who he is....

people woould come just cuz junior was playing this music that no one else had ...and no he wasn't telling you what the tracks were...most of it turned out to be his own productions, edits , etc. that he would play on reel machines, dats.... but that was part of the magic @ SF you were hearing music that was so exclusive it was really sickening to other djs...it was a testing ground . if you paid attention yand went week to week you could tell how he changed tracks and edited them to fit the dancefloor better (most of the time)

Ehh...people usually ask me what a record is and I just tell them because ultimately I don't care, it's not a big deal to me...lol..It's only when another Dj pulls out a pen and pad and starts going through my records that I'll start caring (and it's actually happened)..a Dj is only as good as the music that gets put out so producers do need a little more credit and if you're a Dj who puts out your own music more power to you..(most of the time that's not the case) and some Dj's want to play the whole secrecy game for whatever reason whether it's insecurity or just for the sake of wanting to be fierce *ack*...whatever, music belongs to everyone...keeping it locked away up your own a** for no one else to enjoy sometimes is ridiculous to me...

p.s. MERRY XMAS

M

if you want to make it in this industry now.. you HAVE to be a producer as well//

also Djs dont want people to know the name of the track b/c it is these exclusives that separate the good djs from the rest..

but i see producers getting mad love..

look at how many people went to MADE IN SWEDEN party.. sebastion and steve arent known for being djs but being producers and they had an excellent turnout

look at how many people went to MADE IN SWEDEN party.. sebastion and steve arent known for being djs but being producers and they had an excellent turnout
Absolutely.

Almost all big djs are also producers/remixers. I don't even know if you can separate or oppose DJ and producer/remixer anymore. Can someone name a DJ who's not a famous prod/remixer?

And you're also correct on why djs don't want to share some of the info on their tracks: that's their edge in a difficult business!

Can someone name a DJ who's not a famous prod/remixer?

Lee Burridge for example. You don't HAVE to produce to be successful, but it's a lot harder to do if you're not. Another thing is, there are many DJs nowadays who become producers AFTER they make it big. Howells is a good example of that; he didn't start off his career by producing.

it still doesnt make sense.

Some producer makes a bomb track.... and a DJ gets it, plays it, but hides who make it....

this is Anti-producer.

Did the producer produce that track so its name and the person who created it would be hidden?

Its like me putting together a DJ mixed CD, and just putting my name on it, no track listing to give credits for the song or producer.

Its like, where would snoop dog be without Dr. Dre?

My whole point is, unless that producer produced a track PERSONALLY for a certain DJ, how can a DJ, who is basically just playing other peoples music, be selfish and "hide" the track?

Absolutely.

Almost all big djs are also producers/remixers. I don't even know if you can separate or oppose DJ and producer/remixer anymore. Can someone name a DJ who's not a famous prod/remixer?

And you're also correct on why djs don't want to share some of the info on their tracks: that's their edge in a difficult business!

lets not get into the "famous" DJ's. Jonathan Peters, Junior Vasquez, Danny T, Vicious,ect,ect... these Dj's and such have paid their dues and then some.

What I always here about are these "up and coming" DJ's, these "new talent". Lets keep it locally for a second. What up and coming DJ's are doing production work like that, on their level?

They have a chance to be dropping their own remakes, remixes,ect,ect, at the clubs, but I havent heard any real buzz about some DJ's new remix.

Me personally, if I was Djing somewhere on a weekly basis, I would be sure that ever week, be it friday or saturday, that I would drop at least 1 remix of mine at the club, and see how the floor reacts.

and being shady about playing other peoples music and hiding who made it, is a slap in the face to the producer who made it.

IMHO, if you want to hide something, let it be your own remix. because the person who made that bomb track, wants to get known....think about it.

it still doesnt make sense.

Some producer makes a bomb track.... and a DJ gets it, plays it, but hides who make it....

this is Anti-producer.

i still dont get your point?? how is THIS anti producer??? just cuz he doesnt want you to know the ID of a track that is one of his secret weapons?? maybe it took him days or months of digging through crates to find a track that everyone slept on?? why should he tell u what it is and cut out all the hard work of finding it for you?? how do u expect dj's to keep their edge??? i know when someone comes up to me and asks me for an ID, and its a secret weapon of mine, i sure as hell dont tell em. and if someone comes into the booth looking through my crate i kick em out with the quickness. do your own research!!

i still dont get your point?? how is THIS anti producer??? just cuz he doesnt want you to know the ID of a track that is one of his secret weapons?? maybe it took him days or months of digging through crates to find a track that everyone slept on?? why should he tell u what it is and cut out all the hard work of finding it for you?? how do u expect dj's to keep their edge??? i know when someone comes up to me and asks me for an ID, and its a secret weapon of mine, i sure as hell dont tell em. and if someone comes into the booth looking through my crate i kick em out with the quickness. do your own research!!

no! a DJ's secret weapon should be their OWN remixes, not someone elses...

how should DJ's keep their edge, by making their OWN remixes! Thats cutting edge, cutting edge is NOT playing other peoples music, and hiding it, thats selfish!

my whole thought on the dance genre has changed now that I do more production work. Especially in hip hop, where I have given out my beats, only for it to be copied and then I heard this other kid saying HE made the beat, to impress his friends, girl or what ever. I feel that if a DJ is playing a mix, and hiding it, how is that any different from someone taking someone elses music and claiming it as theirs????

before I got into production I use to hide the names of tracks when I DJed. Even people I was close with I never gave them or told them what it was... if they wanted it, I could make them a mixed CD.. there u have it now, leave me alone.

but that is selfish, because who makes music just for one person, or certain Dj's? maybe a producer among the an elite circle, but in general, if a record is out, its released, and how many great producers have made tracks only for the DJ to selfishly hide the name and producer who made it?

If you want to stay cutting edge, IMHO make your own beats! Dont player hate on others!