Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Funk house is kool when it used to be gay. <rolls eyes>

When people loved pots and pans, there was a smaller subgroup that used to listen to disco house and funk.

As far as i remember.

80% of the people in the NYC scene would say(97-2k)

"Thats soo cheesy"..(or) its sounds "gay"..."It sounds like disco...i need something i can feel..something hard" BLAH BLAH

Now,

stuff like roger sanchez - turn on the music are loved by the majority of the dance culture participants in ny.

So my question is.

what happened?

does something need to be widely spread and loved by many for people to give it a chance and be like.."yeah its good..i like it"

because it seems that so many people can hear a song..and say.."eh..its ok"

but after the radio plays it and it starts getting widespread exposure in club(or whatever).

People are like..OHHH I LOVE THAT SONGGG! - I hope he plays it! (when originally on their first listen, they werent too moved.

So when did funk house become so popular?

(dont tell me it always was..cause it was....... IN EUROPE NOT NYC (minus the gay culture-JV etc)

it was "gay" in NYCfor soooo long, up until a few years ago when it started getting played(mainstream) and people starting using terms like...its happy..uplifting..REAL house

"not that pots and pans shit".

Sems like people pre program themselves with reasons as to why they like something...after hearing others say it. BUT WHERE DID THE THOUSANDS OF "hard house" fans go..with their ..FUNK HOUSE IS SOO GAYYYYY attitude?

not looking to argue..just curious..

comments?

extacy isnt what it used to be ...

Very true. I'm gonna go a bit off the original topic here, so forgive me. But it seems that everyone and their mother seems to complain how the scene today is dying and that it isn't like it used to be during the heyday of Twilo, Tunnel, etc. A big reason is that E isn't really in vogue like it used to be. Of course, there's still a lot of people rolling on any given night, but certainly not as many as there used to be. Good quality pills are more difficult to come by then they were in the past and the use of E has kinda fallen out of vogue. This is not to say that there aren't still a lot of people taking them on any given night, but certainly not as many as there used to be. E has been replaced as the drug of choice by stuff like tina, K, G, etc.....When 80% of an entire club was hopped up on E, of course the vibe is gonna be good....but those days are over. Now, you're more likely to see people using other substances that don't produce the same kinda euporic feeling. So that element, and the feelings that it produced amongst everyone are gone.

of course there is always going to be the people who wont give things a chance till its accepted by others .. that is natural.

I understand what you mean about the hard house scene and how some of the people who were into that would talk shit about the more deep/disco/funk house. Since alot of older songs have been remixed into more electro-funk house sounds ... people have kinda gravitated to the progression of the new sound, even though its been around for a while.

So if your a fan of the "gay funk house" then enjoy that its starting to get more exposure.

well I think its that people moved on.

for example, I see alot of people bashing the JP crowd... things like "gonna rip it sick",ect,ect...

I bet you these people where the ones "rippin it sick" back in the days, but after the XTC wore off, they were like, huh, what the?

its more like the younger crowd now that likes that hard stuff... alot of hard core people I use to know cant stand dance music anymore, but they were the ones staying in the club closing the place out, dancing going crazy with their glow sticks, in circles, bringing extra cloths to change...

So they grow up, cant do the whole hard house anymore, make fun of the younger kids, and listen to more of a filter disco sound, because that sound draws an older crowd, a more drinking crowd, where as the younger crowd draws more people on drugs.

Also, a DJ's job is to educate the crowd, expose them to new styles, and genre's... thats why when I go out, probably the only DJ I would want to hear, out off all the Dj in the world, is Junior Vasquez, because he plays everything from disco, to tribal, to tech, to soulful vocals in a set... not many, if any DJ's are as versatile as junior

if there is one thing that drives me crazy, hearing a DJ play one genre ALL night... be it hip hop, tribal, trance, techno... its gotta switch

hm.. why does drugs have to be related so tightly? I'd say a good reason things got shitty was because people want to just go to get fucked up instead of enjoy the music.

Agree totally!! this is a big reason why i think the scene is so so right now!! because its more about gettin messed up and less about the music!! granted i am not angel. BUT i party sober way way more than even toching a drink or other substance and still have an amazing time!!

THERE SHOULD BE A LAW TO CLUBBING YOU MUST PARTY SOBER AND PAST THE TEST OF HAVING A GREAT TIME BEFORE BE ALLOWED TO DO ANYTHING!! JK LOL!!

I went out for the first time in a few years over halloween to hear Teneglia. I hated the music. Nothing happened all night. Teneglia's big move was turning the base so far up that it got distorted for a few seconds ??? Yet it seemed everyone was liking the music. To me it felt like the whole scene and the music somehow got set back 10 years and needs to rebuild itself all over again. What ever happend to everyone just dancing and not facing the DJ ??? and where the hell did everyone go who could dance ??? seems like the whole crowd just shuffles in there spot and are happy about it.

I went out for the first time in a few years over halloween to hear Teneglia. I hated the music. Nothing happened all night. Teneglia's big move was turning the base so far up that it got distorted for a few seconds ??? Yet it seemed everyone was liking the music. To me it felt like the whole scene and the music somehow got set back 10 years and needs to rebuild itself all over again. What ever happend to everyone just dancing and not facing the DJ ??? and where the hell did everyone go who could dance ??? seems like the whole crowd just shuffles in there spot and are happy about it.

go to different parties, dancers are around.

lol the annoying part of that night was when the fire alarm went off... that seemed like it was going off for like 30 minutes. wth

go to different parties, dancers are around.

Maybe, but I'm talking about the kids who went out with a change of clothes. Liquiding their asses off all night. Hell, it totally was not my scene but even the guidos in SF who swung the glowsticks on the strings were good. Everyone now complains about glowsticks and I don't blame them after seeing the morons who carry them around, making lame ass attempts at using them.