Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what are your feelings on avaland (avalon on saturdays)?

weyes

pros:

- best DJs in town

- best soundsystem in town

cons:

- nowhere to sit/chill except for the shady stadium seats

- no real personality to the place, it's just a big room

- without fail, after 4AM, full of shady ass 40-year old asian dudes fucked on K or G, standing & swaying on the dancefloor, not dancing or talking at all

cons:

- without fail, after 4AM, full of shady ass 40-year old asian dudes fucked on K or G, standing & swaying on the dancefloor, not dancing or talking at all

sounds like avalon in ny. soundsystem sux there too.

pros:

- best DJs in town

- best soundsystem in town

cons:

-- the restaurant on the side is a good spot to sit if u are gonna throw back some grub

- the comments about the crowd, some weekends yes, other weekends really no.

Generally -

you can read my archives comments. When it first opened, hated it. Now, adore it. An incredible venue.

--

- the comments about the crowd, some weekends yes, other weekends really no.

i have to disagree - i've been there 5 times since i moved here, and this happened every time. it's like a changing of the guards. every late night spot has shadiness for sure, but i've been clubbing for a long ass time and the place WEIRDS ME OUT after 4am.

avaland used to be much better with the crowd. now, the bouncers are shady and the whole place is pretty much crack heaven after 5am. the peeps that can't stand the noise AHP makes on the main floor gather on the terrace.

NYE, i was expecting an extended set by Sander, but sander spun like 5 hours and AHP came on. general admission was $120 for some peeps, ridiculous how the venue is starting to get really greedy on its patrons. the club still brings in some of the best DJ on saturday nites, imo.

the first reason why i stopped going there was back when it was the palace - before avalon got a hold of it. the place was so damned loud that high-quality earplugs didn't even put a dent in the pain. i had to leave great sets just 'cause it hurt too much. i attributed that to the venue figuring itself out, though. that'd change in time, i thought. [though it was still deafening, last time i checked.]

but when avalon got in full swing, the crowd turned into a bunch of hollywood wannabes with perma-"cooler-than-thou" stuck on their faces. the music fans got fewer and fewer, the posers multiplied, and that wasn't my scene.

the problem for me was that i gave up my love of music and dancing because i and people like me got outnumbered.

yes, it's no question that avaland gets the best djs, and deep dish is coming around again. i've passed them (or one of them, when it's just been 1/2 the dish) up the last 4 times or so, because they've been at avaland, but i don't think i will this time. what it's come down to, for me, is avaland or nothing --- now that spundae rarely gets anyone worth seeing :( .

but when avalon got in full swing, the crowd turned into a bunch of hollywood wannabes with perma-"cooler-than-thou" stuck on their faces. the music fans got fewer and fewer, the posers multiplied, and that wasn't my scene.

the problem for me was that i gave up my love of music and dancing because i and people like me got outnumbered.

yes, it's no question that avaland gets the best djs, and deep dish is coming around again. i've passed them (or one of them, when it's just been 1/2 the dish) up the last 4 times or so, because they've been at avaland, but i don't think i will this time. what it's come down to, for me, is avaland or nothing --- now that spundae rarely gets anyone worth seeing :( .

I have to agree about the frickin wanna bees, it's like all of a sudden our scene got hip with the trendy people, so they infiltrated. These are the people who think our scene is all about getting high and finding someone to go home with...dumb arces! But I did have a good time when I went to Rabbit in the moon there. So I think what I always think.. It is very hit and miss with Giant.

And by the way, we were contemplating Deep Dish next week as well.:)

When a psytrance act is at the Avlon you all should go. The LA burning man community takes it over and all the trendy people get freaked out and leave. I had a fucking awesome time at astral projection, Hallucinogen and infected mushroom (on christmas) and I don't even LIKE psy-trance.

Unfortunately I have to go there for my birthday. James Zabiella and Sasha are spinning the 18th and I turn 25 on the 19th. I was hoping Spundae would get someone to go up against that, but its Tall Paul. I could pass on Zabiella or Sasha playing by themselvesm, but together......my hands are tied. I am gonna try to get as many people as I can to dress like a freak and go to the Avalon and make it not suck on my Bday. So all you cool kids better show up and help me out! ;)

I don't like Avalon for many reasons which also include:

- hardly any decent place to dance because of the people not dancing or talking at all

- parking costs just as much as to get in

I don't know about Avalon booking the best DJs. I've heard better sets by other DJs. The other thing is the promoters entice you with a so-called "extended set" or some other false line. There's just too many hit & misses for that place. When I go out, I don't want to bother with any BS. I want to go out, have fun and enjoy the whole night.

Unfortunately I have to go there for my birthday. James Zabiella and Sasha are spinning the 18th and I turn 25 on the 19th. I was hoping Spundae would get someone to go up against that, but its Tall Paul. I could pass on Zabiella or Sasha playing by themselvesm, but together......my hands are tied.

if either of these guys were playing in a sewer*, i'd go. together? fuckin ay, CANNOT WAIT.

*manhattan beach would suffice.

I tried to go last night to see Deep Dish. Had a horrible experience and never even made it inside. I will not be going back, ever. I had this to say in my own post:

Got there at 10, waited in an insane line, and after an hour and a half of not moving, having about 500 people cut in through the sides of the line and making it 15 people wide, I called it quits and left. But it wasn't just the line...what's with that crowd? I mean, we're talking fugly fat chicks and old moms and dads...like 50 year olds??!! I asked them if they'd heard Deep Dish before and they didn't even know who they were. Gimme a break! Who the fuck are these people? I've never seen a more sorry ass crowd of idiots in my life. And what kind of weak club has an Anthrax show prior to a dj event? Ridiculous. It's really sad to see the state of what clubbing has become; the best DJs only play in the clubs that can afford to pay them and the only people that go don't have a clue who they are listening to. They're just there to try and look good amongst the other poseurs, what with their fake tans, boob jobs, really bad and wrinkly skin, and c-sections...

if either of these guys were playing in a sewer*, i'd go. together? fuckin ay, CANNOT WAIT.

*manhattan beach would suffice.

I would go and see them if they were in a sewer as well, that would easily be better than the avalon.

I wouldn't go see Timo Maas there and he is me all time favorite. Last time I saw him there he SUCKED. Thankfully I got to see him at the Vangaurd and had a great time.

I tried to go last night to see Deep Dish. Had a horrible experience and never even made it inside. I will not be going back, ever.
:( that sucks. i'm not a fan of deep dish, but knew it would be bad and convinced the friends to try out spundae & lee coombs that night... which was amazing!

Almost anything is better than "avaland" after about 3am, it is just scary.

they do get the best talent, though. i'm gonna go for a few hours of howells on saturday and then bounce to avb, interstate, & rank 1 before it gets ugly.