Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Are the Mets gonna get Zito?

someclown

I don't know what the Mets are thinking right now but a better question would be - WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE INDIANS THINKING?? Seriously. Giving up a 26 yo CF AND David Riske(one of the best WHIPs in the league last season) with huge potential for Marte, Mota(arm troubles) and Shoppach.

This deal essentialy becomes Renteria for Crisp.

Gross.

Oh and Billy Beane told the Mets he won't offer Zito until at least midseason, if then. And even then, it'll be tough; Beane would insist on Lastings Milledge and the Mets see him as a potential replacement for Cliff Floyd in '07.

I hear there's some interest in Jeff Weaver.

-Pedro

-Glavine

-Tracshel

-Heilman

-Zambrano/Soler/Bannister

That's how the Mets' rotation looks right now. That is, if they don't get Weaver or someone like that.

Humber may be ready toward the end of the season.

im gonna go out on a limb and say Zambrano is gonna step up and have a breakaway year

Would have preferred getting rid of Zambrano over Benson...I actually liked Benson for the most part even though he didn't pitch well towards the end of the season. They cut payroll though...not sure how confident I am in their starting pitching right now. Pedro is another year older, we need Glavine to have the same type of year as last year. Zambrano, well he's Zambrano...Trachsel is pretty consistent and the 5th spot is up in the year.

I think I'm getting one of the 7 game packages that are on sale where you get the home opener and a Mets/Yankees game included...looking forward to the season

-Pedro

-Glavine

-Tracshel

-Heilman

-Zambrano/Soler/Bannister

That's how the Mets' rotation looks right now. That is, if they don't get Weaver or someone like that.

Humber may be ready toward the end of the season.

Weaver would be a good pickup. I just hope he's ready for the New York fans this time. You're right though. Humber may be ready in September. How'd he do last year?

I don't know what the Mets are thinking right now but a better question would be - WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE INDIANS THINKING?? Seriously. Giving up a 26 yo CF AND David Riske(one of the best WHIPs in the league last season) with huge potential for Marte, Mota(arm troubles) and Shoppach.

This deal essentialy becomes Renteria for Crisp.

Gross.

that was a pretty good trade for the indians considering they have a better CF is Grady Sizemore and some arms to fill the void starting. The deal essentially becomes the sox dealing the best prospect in the world and a catching prospect for a center fielder that can play and a guy that has a ton of upside

good trade for both teams....and if they sox werent desperate for a CF, I'd be flippin my lid right now

that was a pretty good trade for the indians considering they have a better CF is Grady Sizemore and some arms to fill the void starting. The deal essentially becomes the sox dealing the best prospect in the world and a catching prospect for a center fielder that can play and a guy that has a ton of upside

good trade for both teams....and if they sox werent desperate for a CF, I'd be flippin my lid right now

Coco can definitely play. I betcha hitting leadoff for the Sox he does .300-100-15-85-25 this year. Not too bad.

Well, this deal is sort of confusing and can be looked upon at many different angles.

First of all, if the Indians do trade Crisp they would then almost definitely go ahead and trade a reliever (Rhodes?) for Jason Michaels to start in CF. So Sizemore doesn't factor into this. Jason Michaels has yet to be a regular starter in the majors so that would be a downgrade for sure.

Second, Kelly Shoppach was one of the best catching prospects in baseball a couple of years ago but for some reason his career has stalled. But, that still doesn't explain why the Indians would want him since they already have Victor Martinez. Unless of course they plan on letting Martinez go when he becomes a FA and have Shoppach step in to start.

Third, I'm really starting to question Marte's value. He may be one of the best prospects in baseball but then why are these teams giving up on him? First the Braves and now the Red Sox. I know he has awesome power (doesn't hit that well for average, though)and a great arm and could turn into a Mike Schmidt type, but he's still raw and could end up a Matt Williams type player instead. Who the fuck knows...

Besides the Indians are built to win now and Marte is still a year or two away. And don't forget how popular Crisp is in Cleveland.

I know the Indians don't have a legitmate 3b prospect and Boone's contract is only through '06 so GM Shapiro feels he needs to do this. I hope for his sake this is one of those Shapiro 'hate it now, love it later' trades.

Again, there are so many rumors going around as to how this deal will actually go down but in this variable I definitely think the Indians are getting squeezed.

Well, this deal is sort of confusing and can be looked upon at many different angles.

First of all, if the Indians do trade Crisp they would then almost definitely go ahead and trade a reliever (Rhodes?) for Jason Michaels to start in CF. So Sizemore doesn't factor into this. Jason Michaels has yet to be a regular starter in the majors so that would be a downgrade for sure.

Second, Kelly Shoppach was one of the best catching prospects in baseball a couple of years ago but for some reason his career has stalled. But, that still doesn't explain why the Indians would want him since they already have Victor Martinez. Unless of course they plan on letting Martinez go when he becomes a FA and have Shoppach step in to start.

Third, I'm really starting to question Marte's value. He may be one of the best prospects in baseball but then why are these teams giving up on him? First the Braves and now the Red Sox. I know he has awesome power (doesn't hit that well for average, though)and a great arm and could turn into a Mike Schmidt type, but he's still raw and could end up a Matt Williams type player instead. Who the fuck knows...

Besides the Indians are built to win now and Marte is still a year or two away. And don't forget how popular Crisp is in Cleveland.

I know the Indians don't have a legitmate 3b prospect and Boone's contract is only through '06 so GM Shapiro feels he needs to do this. I hope for his sake this is one of those Shapiro 'hate it now, love it later' trades.

Again, there are so many rumors going around as to how this deal will actually go down but in this variable I definitely think the Indians are getting squeezed.

you can never tell with prospects. looking at it as a team looking to win right now, the sox are getting the better part of the deal, but maybe a year or three down the line is when this deal will actually come to.

i dont think anyone is giving up on marte, he's just a great bargaining tool. think, the braves got renteria for him who had a real BAD year with the sox, but was one of the best shortstops period prior to. if marte turns into matt williams instead of mike schmidt, i wouldnt be complaining. didnt williams win an MVP? all i know is he had a couple years where he was the best power hitter around

i've heard that shoppach had a lot of issues of motivation being a catcher in the sox' system hence why his numbers and play went down (playing behind varitek and maribelli, the best backup in the game, will do that to you). and correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt victor's defense suspect?

i dont know, but this could be the varitek and lowe for heathcliff slocumb trade for the indians (which took about three or four years before those guys fully developed)

i agree the sox are definitely getting a good deal here though with crisp and riske

Would have preferred getting rid of Zambrano over Benson...I actually liked Benson for the most part even though he didn't pitch well towards the end of the season. They cut payroll though...not sure how confident I am in their starting pitching right now. Pedro is another year older, we need Glavine to have the same type of year as last year. Zambrano, well he's Zambrano...Trachsel is pretty consistent and the 5th spot is up in the year.

I couldnt have quoted the Post better myself

Well, Mota failed his physical. Now if Boston steps up and replaces Mota with Delcarmen, the then at least Indians will be getting a young fresh arm instead of that tired one in Mota.

dammit

how's the guy gonna pass a physical to get on the red sox and fail when they are trying to move him. btw, did the sox even give this yahoo a physical?

seo wasnt that good. its better to get rid of them while they had some value left.
are you writing him off? cause i hope this isn't true, as seo is a dodger now. perhaps he will benefit from a change in management? plus, he should get a lot of support in l.a. from korean fans who, other than choi, haven't had a lot to be excited about since chan ho park.

benson wasnt that good. seo wasnt that good. its better to get rid of them while they had some value left.

agree they weren't all that good but i don't like how it leaves our starting pitching a little thin now...with Pedro, Glavine and Trachsel a year older and Heilman with not much experience as a starter, it leaves me to worry a bit.

are you writing him off? cause i hope this isn't true, as seo is a dodger now. perhaps he will benefit from a change in management? plus, he should get a lot of support in l.a. from korean fans who, other than choi, haven't had a lot to be excited about since chan ho park.

sorry, the dodgers got hosed.

sorry, the dodgers got hosed.

LMAO hosed? Do you ever make a post that has at least some logical reasoning behind it? Seo is only 28 years old and was the youngest pitcher in the Mets' rotation. He went something like 8-2 with a 2.5 ERA.

The two players the Mets received in return were Duaner Sanchez and Steve Schmoll. Schmoll last year had a sparkling 5 ERA and a 1.48 WHIP. Gross numbers, especially for a reliever. Sanchez wasn't much better either. With an ERA nearly 4 and a 1.35 WHIP.

The Mets also traded Benson (generally regarded as the worst trade this offseason) for Jorge Julio. Another reliever who can throw "hard" but hasn't had an ERA below 4.4 in the last 3 years...Last year it was nearly 6.

So is this your definition of getting hosed? Trading seemingly strong starters for tired, relief pitching?