Clubplanet Nightlife Community

[Review] And at 1:30 Armin said: "Let there be Trance"...

... and there was trance. But first there was a line, the longest line I have ever seen at Spirit at 12:30. It must've took like half an hour to get in, and absolutely everyone on the line had pre-paid tickets. I couldn't understand at all what was that system the bouncers came up with - they split the line in two, one line was faster than the other... Anyway, so then all coat checks were completely full, and somehow my friend convinced the guy to stash our coats somewhere. That, surprisingly, worked and we even got our coats back at the end of an evening.

Inside. Once inside we tried going to the main floor and realized right away that wouldn't work: it was overcrowded worse than Crobar on Saturdays. So we headed to the lounge upstairs right when Armin came on at 1:30. The crowd down below went absolutely crazy when they saw him. I thought that kids were going to tear him apart, people were trying to climb the stage to get his autograph. Some people actually had records, vynil that is, that they wanted Armin to sign - that must've sucked walking around the club with a record in your hand all night, doesn't it? The packing on the main floor eased around 3:00, so we went downstairs and enjoyed the rest of it.

The vibe. This concert (I wouldn't call this a party) was exactly what Silverbull hates so much. A lot of people just stood around and stared at Armin while raising their arms periodically. I agree that Armin is a really handsome and charismatic guy, but this was far from Danny T's holiday party where everyone danced and had a great time. Speaking of great time, however, there was one person who had a time of his life - and that was Armin himself. Unlike Gabriel and Dresden who sat behind the deck looking busy, clicking around on a Mac laptop and chewing gum nonchalantly, Armin was grinning at the crowd, he jumped around, danced, and even though he did raise his arms in that unmistakable Tiesto manner a little too much - it was awesome to stare at him!

The music. So Armin started off with melodic trance, and I loved that stuff on video screens with the railroad and trees. Speaking of screens - the lighting for the show was absolutely awesome. Overall the music felt consistent all night, mostly pretty melodic trance, some tracks a little harder, a few tracks with an Electro feel around 5:30 or so. The system sounded amazing - the highs and mids were incredibly clear, the bass felt deep but not tearing (except for the most bass-intensive tracks) and the beat went just perfect. It was definitely a great set, we left at around 7:30 and the music was still beautiful. Very good night - if it weren't for the overcrowding and too many confused people in the crowd - it would've been perfect.

excellent review... i think armin really knows how to build a party... i'm not a fan of trance but last night was a sickkk experience.. i loved the tech-house/electro phase that he went through for an hour or so. lol . He dropped a few bombs... overall he played his usual trance set... he knows his playlist well and knows how to work the tracks .. ill give him that... it was the first time i heard armin live and it def wont be the last...

Armins crowd cannot be held by Sprit. Went to Gabriel and Dresden there in December and that was perfect. Plenty of room to dance, but still crowded enough to be a great party.

Saw Armin at Spirit about 1 yr ago and will never see him there again. Places like Roxy are built for the large crowd that big names like Armin can fill comfortably.

ive been regularly seeing Armin at Spirit since December 11 2004 IMO - his June 10th show...Usually i totally look forward to these gigs...but Friday's party was DEF a lil too much for me...

I wasn't expecting him to throw down so much TECH trance either, it got very boring...it got WAY crowded TOO early on and we were packed in like sardines...maybe seeing a bunch of guidos right in front of Spirit at the beginning was an OMEN **shruggs** standing RIGHT in front of the dj booth made my ears bleed, and the ppl who tried to climb the dj booth to get to Armin almost fell on me.

But, as it got toward 530ish, ppl started leaving, there was more room to dance, and i actually met some realy cool pplz other than the ones that I was there with. Busted out some new dance moves, not bad not bad heh. Met this cool guy named Chris, this cool guy named James in a black shirt with the white glowsticks and he was madd chills. very cool but at the end of the night everyone just upped and said bye. lol maybe ill see him again at another party. haha

-Alyssa

Just aren't enough big venues in the city to hold these guys.

I couldn't agree more! Not that these guys come to NYC as often as they should, but nonetheless the City could definitely use more big floors. Looks like "Roseland" is trying to fill this spot: first JP and now PVD?

1st encore= Communication part 4...what a fucking tuune

tracks that were played

Coldplay-Talk ( Junkie XL remix)

AvB-Who Is Watching ( Remy remix)...those were the 1st two tracks

Marco V-False Light

Interstate-Remember Me ( Terry Bones remix)

Ronski Speed with Stoneface and Terminal-Incognition

AvB-Control Freak ( Sander van Doorn remix)

Blank and Jones-Revealed ( Classic Trance mix)

Hammer and Bennett-Language(Santiago Nino Dub Tech remix)

Push-Strange World 2006

Marcel Woods-Advanced

Mark Norman-Touchdown

Gabriel and Dresden-Tracking Treasure Down

U2-Where The Streets Have No Name ( Nu Nrg remix)

Ferry Corsten-Whatever ( Marcel Woods remix)

Purple Haze-Eden

Airbase-Escape

Nic Chagall-Monday Bar

Allure-The Loves We Lost

AvB-Sail

The Thrillseekers-By Your Side ( Martin Roth Dub mix)

Nico Parisi vs Erik Hubo-Metro

Soldout vs Nova-Maybe Tomorrow

Giuseppe Ottaviani-Linking People

Mark Otten-So Serene ( Menno de Jong Fierce Dub)

tracks that were played

Marco V-False Light

Push-Strange World 2006

Marcel Woods-Advanced

Mark Norman-Touchdown

Purple Haze-Eden

Airbase-Escape

Nic Chagall-Monday Bar

Allure-The Loves We Lost

AvB-Sail

haha i love how i posted this tracklist on Armins forum and it ended up on TA and clubplanet...

AvB was soooooooooooo siiiiiick....I didn't leave 'till the very end @7 am....he's so good now, right up there on my list...plays really hard trance @ times, and varies to soft at times, but good...then hits you again with the good, hard stuff...man, he really knows what he's doing...:-)

• 3 months later...

tracks that were played

Marco V-False Light

Push-Strange World 2006

Marcel Woods-Advanced

Mark Norman-Touchdown

Purple Haze-Eden

Airbase-Escape

Nic Chagall-Monday Bar

Allure-The Loves We Lost

AvB-Sail

haha this is my tracklist...i remember posting it up on Armins forum or something and the next thing u knew it was all over...someones gotta ID the tracks!