Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wuts the deal with trance?

i've been coming on this board alot for the past year but only signed up recently to try and make sence out of some of the things I've see people saying. so wut is the deal with people hating on trance. every time i start getting more into the tribal/electro material of today I'll go back and listen to some of the trance classics from around the break of the millenium and it kills the new stuff. there's such an energy behind it that just isn't really found today. And about JP - everyone says he sucks now but that he was the man 5 years ago yet 5 years ago he was playing hard trance (the same music people hate ?) makes no sence to me. just curious other peoples opinions on the subject ... and wondering if theres anyone out there still wanting to go out and listen to hard dark trance?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been coming on this board alot for the past year but only signed up recently to try and make sence out of some of the things I've see people saying. so wut is the deal with people hating on trance. every time i start getting more into the tribal/electro material of today I'll go back and listen to some of the trance classics from around the break of the millenium and it kills the new stuff. there's such an energy behind it that just isn't really found today. And about JP - everyone says he sucks now but that he was the man 5 years ago yet 5 years ago he was playing hard trance (the same music people hate ?) makes no sence to me. just curious other peoples opinions on the subject ... and wondering if theres anyone out there still wanting to go out and listen to hard dark trance?

people are haters, they thing there "genre" of house/dance is better then the rest, mean while all the rest of the people in the world who care less call it "techno"

Everything is house these days. Even some trance-y sets could be classified as progressive. You find less and less trance DJ's spinning in a big room on fridays/saturdays every month.

Everything is not about house music these days. Everything is about many types of Music. House and Trance will always be big in the music scene. Trance is very HUGE just as much as house. Not knocken down house lovers but trance djs have been ranked #1,2,3,4,5 for years now. This past year PVD was ranked #1 and from around the globe the most votes PVD got was from the U.S. Its good to see more house djs come to NYC though. Its good to see a lot of all types of djs come and play in NYC.

Victor Soto

It seems that many people who dislike trance don't dislike the music itself as much as the whole trance scene itself. Many trance parties are filled w/ DJ worshippers who simply stand on the floor facing the DJ with the hands up in the air. Needless to say, this creates a non-existant vibe which many people don't really like. Also, many people (myself included) aren't really into that hard and fast trance sound, but instead prefer music that has a little more funk/soul to it. I don't think there's anything wrong w/ trance music itself. I will listen to some trance music from time to time, but you probably won't see me at any trance parties for the reasons listed above. Truth be told, I'd rather listen to trance than that electro garbage that's in vogue now....I find that sound to be extremely boring and difficult to dance to. I'm not a huge fan of tribal either....again, it's very repetitive and just doesn't do it for me. I prefer progressive house with a funky/soulful element. But to say that trance is dead is kinda ignorant. Trance is the #1 genre of EDM in the world, and all of the big trance DJs draw big crowds in NYC; however, house is certainly more prevalent in the city. Anyways, listen to what you like, and don't worry about what anyone else says sucks. It's all a matter of opinion anyways.

Trance is the best in my opinion. It has the best energy, and emotional melodies that can really move you.

The problem is the people that Trance has been attracting in the past years. The scene had been ruined by drug addicts, and people who simply go to parties because they think they are cool. Every time a big Trance DJ comes around, they go to see him so they can talk about it the next day, and say there were there. They don't really go to listen to the music, and enjoy.

I love Trance. But the Trance scene in NY is making me sick.

It's important to keep in mind that this is not the same at other places around the world. It's mostly in NY, and some other US cities.

Everything is not about house music these days. Everything is about many types of Music. House and Trance will always be big in the music scene. Trance is very HUGE just as much as house. Not knocken down house lovers but trance djs have been ranked #1,2,3,4,5 for years now. This past year PVD was ranked #1 and from around the globe the most votes PVD got was from the U.S. Its good to see more house djs come to NYC though. Its good to see a lot of all types of djs come and play in NYC.

Victor Soto

No doubt. Im not knockin trance at all. But you also have to remember that those "DJ Lists" are world-wide. So a majority of those fans are from overseas, where trance music is big, and music festivals are plentiful. For the New York scene, which is what board this is, it's gunna be house, and all spectrums of it. You gotta remember, this city's clubscene was built on house, not trance. I like my trance as well, but a majority of the board is comprised of househeads :half:

funky/electro house can be cool to dance and hang out to but trance seems to be so much more powerful. And what happened to all that dark trance- today everything is light melodic trance for the most part. Is there really no market for say cosmic gate/scot project/plasmic honey/hi-gate etc. - this type of music fueled the biggest club era in nyc and now nobody likes it ? kinda doesn't make any sence.

nobody cares about trance in nyc anymore

Thats why when Trance Dj comes to NYC its already talked about before he comes and plus the party is mobbed til full capacity. The facts are right there drillz. If no one cared about Trance no one would be going to see these Dj's.

Victor Soto

Victor Soto

Thats not true

Sasha, Deep Dish, Carl Cox, there in the top 5, and they are not even close to trance. In Europe trance is Hugh, its number 1, In USA House rules, tribal being the most popular well at least in NYC anyway

Thats not true

Sasha, Deep Dish, Carl Cox, there in the top 5, and they are not even close to trance. In Europe trance is Hugh, its number 1, In USA House rules, tribal being the most popular well at least in NYC anyway

you are wrong..... PVD, Tiesto, AVB, Sasha, and Ferry Corstein round up the top 5 and 4 out of the 5 spin trance heavily.. Sasha was spinning trance in the past.. but regardless who cares, the list is a popularity contest and it goes to show how popular trance is over here.. its more popular than house music.. freakin Tiesto can fill up stadiums.. lets see a house Dj do that..

and rayray, tribal is NOT the most popular genre of house.. even in NYC.. i would say electro at this point..but that is on the decline..

sorry dude, but stop talking out of your ass..you come across like such a noob..

you are wrong..... PVD, Tiesto, AVB, Sasha, and Ferry Corstein round up the top 5 and 4 out of the 5 spin trance heavily.. Sasha was spinning trance in the past.. but regardless who cares, the list is a popularity contest and it goes to show how popular trance is over here.. its more popular than house music.. freakin Tiesto can fill up stadiums.. lets see a house Dj do that..

and rayray, tribal is NOT the most popular genre of house.. even in NYC.. i would say electro at this point..but that is on the decline..

sorry dude, but stop talking out of your ass..you come across like such a noob..

EXCELLENT Points...

Ferry Corstein

Corstern! He's not a Jew. :rofl:

freakin Tiesto can fill up stadiums.. lets see a house Dj do that..

From what I understand, Sasha and Digweed did as well in Miami last WMC.

and rayray, tribal is NOT the most popular genre of house.. even in NYC

I don't know Boris - reigns supreme in terms of numbers.

i would say i just dont like the trance sound anymore. at some point in time i loved it