Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn: Crobar Personel

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the burden of proof would be nearly impossible...

not saying you don't have a good point, it's just proving such discrimination is much harder then a few depositions and eye witnesses

Fast:

The US DEpt. of Justice and the State of NY Civil Rights Division handle these types of cases all the time. Just recently, there was a night club in VA that purportedly discrminated against blacks and Justice investigated the allegations and brought a suit against the club and the club was fined and made to post a sign up saying that all races are welcome.

I personally can't believe this because I am Asian and Crobar has always been welcoming to me but whether its Crobar or anoy other club, restaurant, hotel, or whatever that is open to the public can't discrimnate on the basis of race.

Mangled Asians can totally kill the vibe so personally I'm happy about Crobar's selective door policy. Keep those cornballs away until they learn how to speak English, dress well and behave like human beings. I'm sick of those mofos walking into me or talking to me when they are cracked out..ewww I get so grossed out by that shit. Last time I had a bad experience was at Roxy and never went back there again. Crobar knows how to run a successful club, let's just all STFU and stop complaining and saying they are racist cuz we all know that's not true.

I hang out with a very mixed crew of people. All my Asian friends speak English as well as me or you, dress no differently than the white, black or spanish people in the crew, and behave better than most "accepted" people in the club.

So you had a bad experience w/ Asians. :nopity: We've all bad experiences at clubs. Shit, I've had more bad experiences with white people than I care to count. Every group has its assholes. Period.

I love Crobar, but unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard of this "door policy." I'm having a party there on the 12th. If any of my Asian friends have a problem getting in this board will be the first to know.

Fast:

The US DEpt. of Justice and the State of NY Civil Rights Division handle these types of cases all the time. Just recently, there was a night club in VA that purportedly discrminated against blacks and Justice investigated the allegations and brought a suit against the club and the club was fined and made to post a sign up saying that all races are welcome.

I personally can't believe this because I am Asian and Crobar has always been welcoming to me but whether its Crobar or anoy other club, restaurant, hotel, or whatever that is open to the public can't discrimnate on the basis of race.

they probably didnt let ANY blacks in.. that is not the case here

clubs turn down groups of guys all the time....I dont see them complaining about lawsuits and shit ...

it would be near impossible to prove in a court of law, no matter how many deposition you have , you would need hard evidence.

maybe someone standing there with a video camera, and still the club has every right to come up with reasons why they did not want to let the people in ie, clothes, drunk, too many guys etc etc etc

unless you have a audio recording where a door man said "your asian you cannot come in " you have shit

and even with that recording you have shit, cuase illegally taped audiorecording are inadmissable in court

it is a fucked up situation, but lawsuits aren't going to get you anywhere..

My thoughts exactly...! ..well said!

Groovie Poo, I love you but you're wrong

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CR

THURSDAY, MARCH 27, 1997 (202) 616-2765

TDD (202) 514-1888

JUSTICE DEPARTMENT SUES WEST VIRGINIA NIGHTCLUB FOR

ALLEGEDLY CLOSING ITS DOORS TO AFRICAN AMERICANS

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Justice Department today sued the

owners of a West Virginia nightclub for allegedly refusing to

allow African Americans to enter.

According to the suit, filed in U.S. District Court in

Wheeling, West Virginia, Images Nightclub in Kearneysville

engaged in a practice of turning away African American customers

in violation of Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The

complaint alleged that the club implemented a policy of

discrimination, among other ways, by falsely telling African

Americans who wanted to enter the club that it was private and

open only to members, even though white persons were routinely

admitted without regard to membership.

The Justice Department became aware of the practice in

April, 1996 after receiving a complaint from a West Virginia

couple. The Department filed suit after conducting an

investigation which found that the club routinely denies

admission to African American patrons.

"More than three decades ago, Congress spoke for all decent

Americans by making it illegal to exclude people from places such

as restaurants and nightclubs simply because of the color of

their skin," said Acting Assistant Attorney General for Civil

Rights Isabelle Katz Pinzler. "We will continue to make certain

that all Americans are free to exercise their right to visit any

place of public accommodation."

Title II prohibits places of public accommodation, including

nightclubs, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, movie theaters,

and other places of entertainment, from discriminating on the

basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. The law

authorizes the Justice Department to sue owners of such

establishments to prevent them from discriminating in the future.

Under other federal civil rights statutes, any individual

who may have been turned away from an establishment on the basis

of race can file a private action to seek monetary damages.

"This case demonstrates the sad fact that even in 1997,

illegal discrimination in our public places continues to plague

our society," said William D. Wilmoth, the U. S. Attorney for the

Northern District of West Virginia. "We hope that by taking

legal action such as this, we will stop the despicable practice

of denying access to public facilities solely because of the

color of one's skin."

The Justice Department previously sued two Louisiana

nightclubs -- Evelyn's Lounge in Holly Beach and La Poussiere in

Breaux Bridge -- for discriminating against African Americans by

falsely stating the clubs were private. The Justice Department

settled the Evelyn's Lounge case last month and the La Poussiere

case in February 1996.

Today's complaint seeks a court order barring the club's

owners from discriminating in the future and requiring the club

to take affirmative steps to remedy the effects of any past

discrimination.

Just recently, there was a night club in VA that purportedly discrminated against blacks and Justice investigated the allegations and brought a suit against the club and the club was fined and made to post a sign up saying that all races are welcome.

:laugh: that did not happen. :laugh:

Fast:

I never said it couldn't happen ...i was saying IT WONT cause the burden of proof..

I doubt a clubbing asians are going to have the time / money to get enough witnesses, depositions, hard evidence (that would be bearly impossible to prove) to drag crobar into court...

maybe if they complain to fox 5 and get that douche arnold diaz on the scene that would help

discrimination cases are waged all the time, I just feel one against a club is very hard to prove...

the case you cited, was prob easily proved since no blacks visit that estaliblishment, like when people sue a country club,

crobar on any given night has asian people in it.. thus throwing out any argument made against them that they are being discriminatory ,

last night there were tons of asians there for TIESTO, what would the asians argue in a court of law about that ??

i am not for the discrimination BTW, just pointing out that LAWSUITS are very far fetched in this situation

IMO of course, studied law, but far from a lawyer...

Groovie Poo, I love you but you're wrong

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CR

THURSDAY, MARCH 27, 1997 (202) 616-2765

TDD (202) 514-1888

JUSTICE DEPARTMENT SUES WEST VIRGINIA NIGHTCLUB FOR

ALLEGEDLY CLOSING ITS DOORS TO AFRICAN AMERICANS

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Justice Department today sued the

owners of a West Virginia nightclub for allegedly refusing to

allow African Americans to enter.

According to the suit, filed in U.S. District Court in

Wheeling, West Virginia, Images Nightclub in Kearneysville

engaged in a practice of turning away African American customers

in violation of Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The

complaint alleged that the club implemented a policy of

discrimination, among other ways, by falsely telling African

Americans who wanted to enter the club that it was private and

open only to members, even though white persons were routinely

admitted without regard to membership.

The Justice Department became aware of the practice in

April, 1996 after receiving a complaint from a West Virginia

couple. The Department filed suit after conducting an

investigation which found that the club routinely denies

admission to African American patrons.

"More than three decades ago, Congress spoke for all decent

Americans by making it illegal to exclude people from places such

as restaurants and nightclubs simply because of the color of

their skin," said Acting Assistant Attorney General for Civil

Rights Isabelle Katz Pinzler. "We will continue to make certain

that all Americans are free to exercise their right to visit any

place of public accommodation."

Title II prohibits places of public accommodation, including

nightclubs, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, movie theaters,

and other places of entertainment, from discriminating on the

basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. The law

authorizes the Justice Department to sue owners of such

establishments to prevent them from discriminating in the future.

Under other federal civil rights statutes, any individual

who may have been turned away from an establishment on the basis

of race can file a private action to seek monetary damages.

"This case demonstrates the sad fact that even in 1997,

illegal discrimination in our public places continues to plague

our society," said William D. Wilmoth, the U. S. Attorney for the

Northern District of West Virginia. "We hope that by taking

legal action such as this, we will stop the despicable practice

of denying access to public facilities solely because of the

color of one's skin."

The Justice Department previously sued two Louisiana

nightclubs -- Evelyn's Lounge in Holly Beach and La Poussiere in

Breaux Bridge -- for discriminating against African Americans by

falsely stating the clubs were private. The Justice Department

settled the Evelyn's Lounge case last month and the La Poussiere

case in February 1996.

Today's complaint seeks a court order barring the club's

owners from discriminating in the future and requiring the club

to take affirmative steps to remedy the effects of any past

discrimination.

like I said earlier, this is different from this crobar issue. In the VA case, NO blacks were allowed in the club.

There were already many asians in the club when they turned this kid away. 2 different cases.

Look, they did not win any of those cases, they were settled, probably to minimize bad PR. No law exists purporting to do what you are talking about. Period.

Groovie Poo I hate to say you are wrong, but again you are wrong.

These clubs all settle because going to trial will either put the owner in jail or shut their clubs down

here is a club in NYC that did not let asians in:

I hope you are next crobar!

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2003/jun/jun03b_03.html

Department of Law

120 Broadway

New York, NY 10271

Department of Law

The State Capitol

Albany, NY 12224

For More Information:

(212) 416-8060

For Immediate Release

June 03, 2003

SETTLEMENT WITH MANHATTAN NIGHTCLUB ENDS INVESTIGATION OF DISCRIMINATION ALLEGATIONS

State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer today announced a settlement that resolves an investigation of a Manhattan restaurant/nightclub's admission policies that were based on race or national origin. The establishment would routinely turn certain patrons away in an effort to maintain what it believed was a racial or ethnic "balance".

Under the terms of the agreement, the restaurant/nightclub, formerly called Remedy Restaurant and Lounge, located at 36 East 20th Street, now doing business as Anju, will reform its admission policies to conform to state and federal civil rights law. In addition, the club's managers will inform the Attorney General's Office of any complaints of discrimination made by patrons or prospective patrons of the nightclub.

"As this agreement makes clear, we will not tolerate any racial or national origin discrimination in restaurants, bars, nightclubs, or any other place of public accommodation," Spitzer said. "This office's efforts to enforce the civil rights law are substantially aided when the victims of discrimination come forward to report their experiences, which can often be painful."

Spitzer's office began its investigation in July of 2002, after receiving complaints that Remedy had refused to admit a group of South Asian persons to the establishment. According to the complaint, more than 300 people had been invited to a party being held at the nightclub by two of the complainants. The party hosts were assured their guests would get into the club, provided they supply a guest list, which they did. While the doorman repeatedly allowed non-South Asian patrons to enter the club, most South-Asians were denied entry. When asked about the guest list for that night's party, the doorman said it did not exist. Later, in a televised news interview, the doorman confirmed the club's discriminatory admission policy by stating: "It's my responsibility to blend this club. There has to be a balance, there has to be."

To ensure compliance with the agreement, representatives of the Attorney General's office may visit the club and inspect its records for two years. The club has also agreed to pay $10,000 to the State for the cost of the investigation.

The case was handled by Assistant Solicitor General Sachin S. Pandya and Assistant Attorney General Brian J. Kreiswirth, under the direction of Deputy Bureau Chief Natalie R. Williams of the AG's Civil Rights Bureau.

I hang out with a very mixed crew of people. All my Asian friends speak English as well as me or you, dress no differently than the white, black or spanish people in the crew, and behave better than most "accepted" people in the club.

So you had a bad experience w/ Asians. :nopity: We've all bad experiences at clubs. Shit, I've had more bad experiences with white people than I care to count. Every group has its assholes. Period.

I love Crobar, but unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard of this "door policy." I'm having a party there on the 12th. If any of my Asian friends have a problem getting in this board will be the first to know.

I wonder if they can see normal like "us" since they have slanted eyes and all hmmm...