Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"No English, No Cheesesteak"

Is english our national language? no, because we dont have one, because we are a country of immigrants.

Sorry peeps but times are changing, you can come along on the ride or be left behind.

Most of Your xenophobia will fade in time (hopefully)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, but there are no laws that say that things MUST be in english

In parts of Maine School is taught in French

In the urban south just as many young kids take class in spanish as do english.

And the reason you can take the road test in other languages is because driving is based on symbols and numbers, not on reading.

even a kid who is illiterate but speaks english knows that a red octogon with s-t-o-p on it is a stop sign, even though he cant read it

......u can go apples and oranges all u want.....but when it comes down to it ...english is the predominant language....our money is printed in english....official documents...english.....american television networks english.........it's a matter of respecting the country that WELCOMES IMMIGRANTS.....u want a better life great come on in ......but make a fucking effort....if u don't wanna change anything then stay the fuck in your country.........and that goes for all languages ......back in the day no one would be having this argument cause the people were proud to come here and learn the language...now people come here and have no pride in the country and hold no value to the fact that they are here making better for themselves and family .....

......u can go apples and oranges all u want.....but when it comes down to it ...english is the predominant language....our money is printed in english....official documents...english.....american television networks english.........it's a matter of respecting the country that WELCOMES IMMIGRANTS.....u want a better life great come on in ......but make a fucking effort....if u don't wanna change anything then stay the fuck in your country.........and that goes for all languages ......back in the day no one would be having this argument cause the people were proud to come here and learn the language...now people come here and have no pride in the country and hold no value to the fact that they are here making better for themselves and family .....
:bowdown: :bowdown:

i like your thinking...

Half the citizens of this country need to take an English class themselves. As far as the people who come here, we as a nation don't make it very easy for them to get an education. We double the tuition in schools for them, make it nearly impossible to get any sort of decent job, and we are not the most welcoming of countries from what I have witness. I think this country is a bunch of lazy people who don’t want to accept that the world is becoming one. What that one language is, is to be seen in the future, but it’s defiantly molding as one. Other countries students learn more then one language in school and our country kicks and screams when they have to learn something outside of their culture. I think language is a wonderful thing to learn. It teaches courtesy and respect and for people not to become so prejudice towards one another. If you know someone’s language, or even make an attempt to learn someone’s language, you earn a ton of respect.

Half the citizens of this country need to take an English class themselves. As far as the people who come here, we as a nation don't make it very easy for them to get an education. We double the tuition in schools for them, make it nearly impossible to get any sort of decent job, and we are not the most welcoming of countries from what I have witness. I think this country is a bunch of lazy people who don’t want to accept that the world is becoming one. What that one language is, is to be seen in the future, but it’s defiantly molding as one. Other countries students learn more then one language in school and our country kicks and screams when they have to learn something outside of their culture. I think language is a wonderful thing to learn. It teaches courtesy and respect and for people not to become so prejudice towards one another. If you know someone’s language, or even make an attempt to learn someone’s language, you earn a ton of respect.

American schools now teach other languages at early ages. My little sister learned how to speak Spanish in kindergarten. If these people don't like getting $5 an hour for picking strawberries then they can stay the eFF out of our country and get $5 a month for cleaning up donkey shit.

American schools now teach other languages at early ages. My little sister learned how to speak Spanish in kindergarten. If these people don't like getting $5 an hour for picking strawberries then they can stay the eFF out of our country and get $5 a month for cleaning up donkey shit.

Yes, but "these people" need to eat... and I don't think they can afford a five star resturant, and going to get some cheesesteaks puts money in the owners pocket, thus putting his money spent into your pocket.

Half the citizens of this country need to take an English class themselves.

right... isnt that what this debate is about??

As far as the people who come here, we as a nation don't make it very easy for them to get an education.

right... by offering free schooling and going above and beyond that by hiring more teachers, to teach english as a second language classes.. we're not doing nearly enough.. :rolleyes:

We double the tuition in schools for them, make it nearly impossible to get any sort of decent job, and we are not the most welcoming of countries from what I have witness.

double the tuition?? where do you get your info from??

They cant get a decent job.. let me bust out the violin here..

millions of well educated people are having trouble finding jobs.. out here in california i saw ads offering masters level social workers 8.54 an hour jobs.. that's 8.54 an hour for 6 years of schooling.. but i guess some foreigner who barely speaks english, makes no effort to assimilate in to the country he/she just moved to, deserves better..

Other countries students learn more then one language in school and our country kicks and screams when they have to learn something outside of their culture.

wrong... in 6th grade i took a foreign language class... throughout the year we learned the basics of 4 different languages.. latin, spanish, french and italian.. this was to prepare us for choosing what our 7th and 8th grade foreign language class was gonna be... which kinda made it easier to decide what foreign language to take in high school..

Yes, but "these people" need to eat... and I don't think they can afford a five star resturant, and going to get some cheesesteaks puts money in the owners pocket, thus putting his money spent into your pocket.

you're right they do need to eat.. but gino's is a luxury.. i went there about 6 years ago and from what i remember the cheesesteak was pretty expensive.. if they really need to eat that bad they can go to the store and buy a 20 cent bag of ramen noodles.. i dont think gino's new rule is gonna cause them to starve

...u don't need to go to school to pick up some CONVERSATIONAL english...like i said ...i don't care if u speak your own language at home....but when u come into my store/restaraunt whatever......don't expect me to run back and get the dishwasher to translate your fucking order...

...u don't need to go to school to pick up some CONVERSATIONAL english...like i said ...i don't care if u speak your own language at home....but when u come into my store/restaraunt whatever......don't expect me to run back and get the dishwasher to translate your fucking order...

i agree

right... isnt that what this debate is about??

I said citizens.

right... by offering free schooling and going above and beyond that by hiring more teachers, to teach english as a second language classes.. we're not doing nearly enough.. :rolleyes:

I don't see that.

double the tuition?? where do you get your info from??

They cant get a decent job.. let me bust out the violin here..

millions of well educated people are having trouble finding jobs.. out here in california i saw ads offering masters level social workers 8.54 an hour jobs.. that's 8.54 an hour for 6 years of schooling.. but i guess some foreigner who barely speaks english, makes no effort to assimilate in to the country he/she just moved to, deserves better..

Its double the tuition in colleges if you are a non-citizen. At least in the CUNY system.

As far as the jobs, well who's fault is that really... the employee or the employer?... If the jobs are not done cheap here, they will just outsource them anyway. So its more of a debate as to who we as a nation should point the finger to... I agree with the social work salary comment. It's sick... and I have no idea on how to solve that, other then for people to protest it, and not apply.

wrong... in 6th grade i took a foreign language class... throughout the year we learned the basics of 4 different languages.. latin, spanish, french and italian.. this was to prepare us for choosing what our 7th and 8th grade foreign language class was gonna be... which kinda made it easier to decide what foreign language to take in high school..

Do you speak fluent in this language now?

For those of you on the English debate, we Americans don't speak English, we speak American. Go to England and you'll get by with what little you know, but it's like a Mexican going to Spain.

Us colonialist here in America dropped proper English due to lack of education and also a bit of rebellion against the country that forced the us away. This country was founded on freedom, if people choose not to learn the language, that is thier choice. However, I am a lazy american that has no intention of making it easier for them. And trust me, when I call Dell customer service and get somebody in India making 2 rupies an hour to take my call, I'm pissed. I want to speak to someone who I can understand.

Additionally, My gf's son has been watching some fucking cartoon where they speak spanglish trying to influence him to learn a new language. I am all for learning many languages, I myself attempted German. Europeans (most of them anyway) speak multiple languages, why can't us americans do the same.

For those of you on the English debate, we Americans don't speak English, we speak American. Go to England and you'll get by with what little you know, but it's like a Mexican going to Spain.

Us colonialist here in America dropped proper English due to lack of education and also a bit of rebellion against the country that forced the us away. This country was founded on freedom, if people choose not to learn the language, that is thier choice. However, I am a lazy american that has no intention of making it easier for them. And trust me, when I call Dell customer service and get somebody in India making 2 rupies an hour to take my call, I'm pissed. I want to speak to someone who I can understand.

Additionally, My gf's son has been watching some fucking cartoon where they speak spanglish trying to influence him to learn a new language. I am all for learning many languages, I myself attempted German. Europeans (most of them anyway) speak multiple languages, why can't us americans do the same.

....we can ...no one is saying u can't be multi lingual......just saying make an effort to speak the language most of the countries business is conducted in ...

Rage sucks.

Look at me, I'm Tom Morello, check out my wah-wah pedals. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Rage was the first band i saw in concert... they opened for House of Pain at the State Theater in Detroit... this was before they were even popular... they were fucking awesome..

loved the first album... then i kinda got over them.

All though i did see them 2-3 times in concert. lol

Rage was the first band i saw in concert... they opened for House of Pain at the State Theater in Detroit... this was before they were even popular... they were fucking awesome..

loved the first album... then i kinda got over them.

All though i did see them 2-3 times in concert. lol

I got lucky. My first "concert" was Woodstock '94.

Also went to Ravestock there which opened my eyes to the whole "clubbing" atmosphere.

I'll never forget watching Cypress Hill from on top of a porta potty with people sliding down a muddy hill that was only muddy from piss and shit.

I also went to Woodstock '99 and Up In Smoke.

Definately pieces of history I'll never forget.