Clubplanet Nightlife Community

anyone going to junior

I have been trying to avoid Junior for years now and have a done a great job.
I have ZILCH against JR and his style of music.

You seem like a cool guy Computerjockey, but I have to say you seem to flip flop your opinions of Junior Vasquez.

Um, JR was NOT playing anything remotely electro or ANYTHING that I wouldn't hear on KTU (it's a joke people).

Even though it is a joke Boris, Tiesto, Oakenfold, Morales, Viscious, etc, all play on WKTU, but many and I mean many of the songs they play you don't hear on the usually rotation of the radio station. So perhaps you may hear some songs Junior plays on the Hour 1 of XM satellite, the Hour 2 you would never hear them on that station unless it's weekends after 1:00 am in the morning when the other djs mention above are playing club music on WKTU.

I don't consider something with "electro bleeps" to be electro.

Of course it's your opinion but I have to disagree. Lets use Kraftwerk for example, electronic sounds with electronic bleeps with repetitve lyrics added in and was catagorized as one of the first electronic groups around from the late 1970s to the 1980's and is still around. They are the ones that just about started the electro sounds, with a miminum touch.

He was playing the typical "big room" slightly generic and kinda gay house.

Junior plays at a straight clubs with only staight people who do not know of him, and they do not even think of the term gay house. Just because there were gay people there, you are saying that, but what about us straight people that are male and female. We go because it's good dance music not because one may think it is gay music. There is no such thing as gay music unless the lyrics are pertaining to gay people, which Junior Vasquez did not do.

The comment about "typical big room music" well Larry Tee used to play at Crobar on Thursday nights. So I guess Larry Tee's music is big room also. Correct? or since he is not there anymore you can not label his music as big room anymore?

Sorry for quoting you so much but I have to say, your comments do seem a little ignorant, and I am surprised at that since you try to teach us on the board about respecting each others differences,but you seem put down others like the ones who act very naive on these messageboards. Just remember ComputerJockey, hetersexuals do enjoy Junior Vasquez, it is not a gay thing, it's a musical enjoyment thing.

Music for the all, not for several:)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no there was almost zero 'electro' in juniors set.

I think it was more about 45% electro tunes. Just because it was not all in your face electro beats doesn't mean it was not electro. Since we expect electro to sound so bleepy, which the songs Junior played didn't, we conclude that they were not electro tunes at all. Its like trance music. There is some Trance music that you can identify quickly, and there are some that sound so good that you would never label it as Trance because it does not have that over blown Trancey sound. :)

I wasn't at Bank, but there's something odd about saying JR set was not edgy, not like what Larry Tee plays. I'm sorry to say, if you know how Larry sound and already know what to expect, then it's safe to say that it's already past edgy.

Dont' get me wrong, I live for Larry Tee. He's certainly a great DJ, one of the few in the city that "gags me". Great energy in the set, great selection, and he knows his classics too.

Now I wonder, CPTR_JCKEY, do you ever go hear something else than the typical sounds they play at Bank/HappyValley/DiskoDistortion? It's a real open question, not an attack or anything.

I know I still LOVE to hear DJs like Francois K, or Joe Claussell, or (up to recently!) Danny Tenaglia.

They are old school, have a definitive sound, but I can really enjoy what they create throughout the night. I heard Francois K last Monday and there was some stunning tunes in his set, very deep Detroit, minimal, with a dark groove. I'm glad I went because I know I wouldn't hear that at Happy Valley for example. The same goes for "Tony The Beat" (a song I like) for example, not something I would hear Joe Claussell play.

Liking more Rock-oriented parties like Motherfucker or Misshapes, or "electro" parties like Bank/Disko/HappyValley certainly shouldn't prevent anyone to enjoy other sounds.

I know Junior is able to craft a night of amazing high and emotions when he's in a good day. Sure it's house, New York House. It's not new, but it's okay to read a book that didn't come out last week too you know. Junior is Junior and he's not going to change (anymore) I think.

Also, not to read, but the edgy electro sound you are talking about is, what, like half a decade old already? I live for Larry, but I think he was considered "edgy" when he was playing in Williamsburg. Personally I don't care about edgy too much. Good music is good music.

Anyway, I'm happy Bank is there. I'm happy Larry Tee's playing there, and I'm happy Junior gets to play to another crowd.

I wasn't planing on writing a long answer, but it turned out this way ...

PS: the term "gay house" is indeed a little shady and condescending (not to say homophobic even if coming for a gay person).

queen & danceshake great ideas & we are all devoted and more to junior - after all these years I still get excited to hear him & lord knows ive been going to clubs forever junior since late 80s at least.

just a funny point tho: if we went up to junior & said 'I LOVED the 45% electro you played on saturday" !! you know he'd look at you & say , "Uh, I dont know what you heared but i played 100% HOUSE music!!"

at least thats what I heard saturday!! 100% house!

now rippen kitten, ok THAT was electro, but that was 2002/03 junior!!!

I LOVED bank & Im looking forward to his saturday party at end of july...where ever it may be!!

:))))))))))))))))))

just a funny point tho: if we went up to junior & said 'I LOVED the 45% electro you played on saturday" !! you know he'd look at you & say , "Uh, I dont know what you heared but i played 100% HOUSE music!!"

at least thats what I heard saturday!! 100% house!

:))))))))))))))))))

True,

As one would say All Dance Music is House Music......

I wasn't at Bank, but there's something odd about saying JR set was not edgy, not like what Larry Tee plays.

Now I wonder, CPTR_JCKEY, do you ever go hear something else than the typical sounds they play at Bank/HappyValley/DiskoDistortion? It's a real open question, not an attack or anything.

Also, not to read, but the edgy electro sound you are talking about is, what, like half a decade old already? I live for Larry, but I think he was considered "edgy" when he was playing in Williamsburg. Personally I don't care about edgy too much. Good music is good music.

PS: the term "gay house" is indeed a little shady and condescending (not to say homophobic even if coming for a gay person).

Yo Ms. Queen -

Where did I say Larry's stuff was "edgy"? You missed the mark on that one seeing I never referred to Larry as "edgy". Sure some of the stuff Larry plays is totally 'edgy' but the biggest problem in our friendship came when I started bitching about him playing too much Madonna (tho her new album, IMO, is her best (w/all the remixes and stuff)).

As for other clubs I go to Cain & Marquee on Wed, The Cock on Mon, Opaline & Mr. Black on Fri and Apt & Hiro on Sun. However except for the one time the rez blew me away at Cain I haven't found a DJ I'm all excited about. As it's always been, NYC ain't the greatest city in the world for a 'grade-a' music scene.

When I state my opinions I'm not trying to knock anyone else from enjoying anything else. I just state what's going on in my head at the time.

Um, NYC electro is involving and the sound I'm talking about has hardly been around for half a decade. You must be referring to "electroclash" when you mention Larry & Williamsburg and 'electroclash' IS NOT 'electro'. Compared to every other genre out there (Tribal, Techno, Trance, House, WHATEVER) NYC Electro is the most recent and most edgy thing out there. Even if you do want to say it's been around for 5 years that's cool but considering stuff like Trance has been around for over 15 years then yeah it's edgy.

"Good music is good music" - good grief lady. Have you ever checked out my Myspace of New Wave House jukebox??? If you had you'd know most of the shite I listen to is at least 10 years old so altho I may only talk about new stuff on this board I hardly disregard music that isn't considered edgy anymore. Don't get me wrong tho - all the music I listen to was, in it's day, the most technolgoical advance sound out there.

AND please - "gay house" - if it's music that you can expect to see a bunch of gay guys running around w/out their shirts on then let that be "shady" if you want. It's a fact jack.

You seem like a cool guy Computerjockey, but I have to say you seem to flip flop your opinions of Junior Vasquez.

Of course it's your opinion but I have to disagree. Lets use Kraftwerk for example, electronic sounds with electronic bleeps with repetitve lyrics added in and was catagorized as one of the first electronic groups around from the late 1970s to the 1980's and is still around. They are the ones that just about started the electro sounds, with a miminum touch.

The comment about "typical big room music" well Larry Tee used to play at Crobar on Thursday nights. So I guess Larry Tee's music is big room also. Correct? or since he is not there anymore you can not label his music as big room anymore?

Sorry for quoting you so much but I have to say, your comments do seem a little ignorant, and I am surprised at that since you try to teach us on the board about respecting each others differences,but you seem put down others like the ones who act very naive on these messageboards. Just remember ComputerJockey, hetersexuals do enjoy Junior Vasquez, it is not a gay thing, it's a musical enjoyment thing.

fun fun fun:

1st off altho i 'avoided' JR doesn't mean the man doesn't deserve respect. I just avoided him because everyone else was jumping on his bandwagon. Never once did I saw he was a crap DJ.

It's funny you used Kraftwerk - perfect example - when they were out and I was all into New Order & Depeche Mode I thought Kraftwerk sucked. Even tho they all use computers I would hardly say they're the same exact genre. So if you want to consider something that has the occasional "electro bleep" as electro feel free. But I might as well start calling everything 'techno' like we used to do in the early days since officially it's all 'technological music'. (Side note: in the early days there were 2 forms of music: house & techno)

"Big room" music is "BIG ROOM MUSIC". It has ZERO heart, very little soul and doesn't do a thing to bring in any spirituality. Basically when all you hear all night long is "BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM" with the occasional 'electro bleep' then to me that's "Big Room Music".

And please - I'm hardly ignorant when it comes to computer generated music. You might not agree with what I say but I'm the biggest music freak I know and have always been that way. So to call me "ignorant" when it comes to music is to say you don't know me at all. I'll go head to head with anyone on this board about computer generated music (since the 80's days of New Wave) with pride (altho, yeah, I'm a bit devoid of anything from 95-04 but as far as I know nothing new and earth-shattering came out of music from that era and I can assure you anyone on this board wasn't listening to anything new during that era that hadn't already come out).

And whatever - straights can enjoy JR too - in fact it took a straight guy to point this out to me but straight guys are the biggest fags todays. The typical gay guy is way more straight in his appearence (No, NJ, this does NOT include you).

Yo Ms. Queen -

Where did I say Larry's stuff was "edgy"? You missed the mark on that one seeing I never referred to Larry as "edgy".

Oh, I read this

give me AUTHENTIC NYC ELECTRO any day. Shite - if I kept my eyes wide open all night long I still couldn't have found any edge in that set.

followed by a praise to Larry Tee and I concluded that you thought Larry was edgy. Doesn't matter.

Given that I'm confusing Electroclash and Electro, can you give me example of Electro then? I'm not an expert, what would Vitalic be for example? Electro with or without clash? House?

What would you say is a great party playing Electro (sans clash)? Are Junior Sanchez or Tommie Sunshine considered Electro Djs?

Also, you go out too much!!! Just joking.

It bothers me a litle bit you don't think NYC is a grade-a music scene. I think there's a LOT of things happening in NYC, be it older Djs playing great music (I'm not going to talk about Francois K again), rock bands (Interpol for example), and even electro-thing happening. If not the best in production I think it's diverse and of top quality in musical offering any day of the night. No?

anything from 95-04 but as far as I know nothing new and earth-shattering came out of music from that era and I can assure you anyone on this board wasn't listening to anything new during that era that hadn't already come out

What new sound came out after '04? I can't think of any major new sounds coming out of 95-04 too, but I don't see any out of 04-06 either.

big room music has zero heart and little soul you say yeah sureeeeeeeeeeeeeee.you really are ignorant.

I'll say it again: "BIG ROOM" SHITE HAS ZERO HEART AND SOUL (unless of course you're on like 3 pills which I imagine everyone is)

here are a couple of songs that have come out in the past year that i consider to be 'electro'. yeah it's not something brand new but whatever - i haven't been able to get any new music in the past few months so forgive that i'm using old tunes as references:

Tiga's "U Gonna Want Me" - which, btw, imo, is the best 'gay themed' love song to come out in a long time (notice he's singing to a 'boy')

Royksopp's "What Else Is There?" - when I talk about soul, spirit and heart - well this song has tons of it

Mylos' mix of "No More Conversation" - this has literally been the 'biggest' song in the past year

Goldfrapp's "Number 1" - soul soul soul & lot's and lot's of heart with a huge dose of spirituality

and ill say it again your ignorant.listen buddy i dont need your 5 paragraph responses..i have been going to big room events for 14 years don't tell me when im not even ON ANYTHING that it has no heart or soul.am i sitting here saying Electro has no heart or soul? NO.just because certain music has no meaning to you doesnt mean it doesnt have alot of meaning to others.

Love me some Junior Vasquez classics , I should be at Cielo NYC Sunday 7.23.06 after hanging out at the beach .

Bassline

Sound Factory 27th Street

Tunnel

Arena/Palladium

Twilo/JuniorVerse

Earth/Exit

Discotheque

Sound Factory 46-47th Street

Roxy

Spirit......

Many choices from many memories...:getdown:

juniorvasquez.jpg

and ill say it again your ignorant.listen buddy i dont need your 5 paragraph responses..i have been going to big room events for 14 years don\'t tell me when im not even ON ANYTHING that it has no heart or soul.am i sitting here saying Electro has no heart or soul? NO.just because certain music has no meaning to you doesnt mean it doesnt have alot of meaning to others.

aren\'t you that gay guy who got NMN banned?

lighten up buddy and take the dick out of your ass (no pun intended)

Even though it is a joke Boris, Tiesto, Oakenfold, Morales, Viscious, etc, all play on WKTU, but many and I mean many of the songs they play you don't hear on the usually rotation of the radio station. So perhaps you may hear some songs Junior plays on the Hour 1 of XM satellite, the Hour 2 you would never hear them on that station unless it's weekends after 1:00 am in the morning when the other djs mention above are playing club music on WKTU.

Junior plays at a straight clubs with only staight people who do not know of him, and they do not even think of the term gay house. Just because there were gay people there, you are saying that, but what about us straight people that are male and female. We go because it's good dance music not because one may think it is gay music. There is no such thing as gay music unless the lyrics are pertaining to gay people, which Junior Vasquez did not do.

Thank you very much. I thought I was the only one getting the CompJock treatment.