anyone going to junior

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quote from Gregory T. Angelo a music editor, represents my view,

:type:

...it basically goes without saying-anyone who has experienced a

Junior Vasquez Pride party before knows that the crowd is a mix of everyone you can think of :gay, straight, black,white, latin, tranny, preppie, frat boy, and twinks.

The music selection, a good mixing variety of beats & vocals new and classics) was great to hear,plus the sound system was cripsy clear.:) I enjoyed hearing Junior mixing in and out between songs with

Kobbe & Austin Leeds: Bodyshaker.

Spanking tribal cut on Tumbata Records from Kobbe & Leeds's Bodyshaker.Killer mixes,which both feature a dark vocal basically repeating the title of the track and highlighting over some chest beating tribal drums and releasing electro based synth hooks Deffo a biggy for the big rooms here in NY.

http://perfectbeat.com

Looking forward to his next marathon event.

LOL DEAL WITh IT!!

Sorry - it's just I'm one of those "if everyone's doing it I'm not doing it" (except, yeah, if everyone was jumping off a bridge i'd have to jump too) and Junior as been the biggest and most popular 'gay' dj for eons. But it should be fun at Bank so i'm looking forward to it.

Sorry - it's just I'm one of those "if everyone's doing it I'm not doing it" (except, yeah, if everyone was jumping off a bridge i'd have to jump too) and Junior as been the biggest and most popular 'gay' dj for eons. But it should be fun at Bank so i'm looking forward to it.
In the case of Vasquez, recently it's more like "no one's really doing it", specially the kids who usually hang out at Bank and the electro-type places. They usually hate jr and anything typically-Chelsea basically.

Ive been anticipating jnr at element since the week it opened.

does anyone have an e mail for guestlist/reduced? I cant seem to reach this josh wood? is there a correct e mail for him?

go junie!!!

try going to the actual website of the place - HOWEVER they're even charging memebers that night so the guest list is like way strict and way cut back that night. or better yet try reaching larry tee on myspace by going here

he's kinda busy but i know he's pretty good about getting people on his list via his myspace page. i would say tell him 'mcmike' sent you but seeing i'm suppose to have a list then that's not a good idea. i just don't want to deal with that list full of peopel i don't really know that night....

was awesome. straight up house music all night, with an old school twist espec as it got later. at least as good as the bassline debut set, maybe better. i was there from 1145 til last record at 5 am. 430 to 5 was bliss with a major love sensation hard house remix, some reap chords, his superb XTIna remix, what a groove very euro, very hypnotic then her major vox & the horns punched in, and then that gospel house monster 'yes he is' that closed out the night in sunday school mode. great energy from crowd all night. early he played a remix of change 'searching' that was the bomb, hard house but twisted. maybe not as many newer tracks as at bassline I, a focus on 90s sounding house melodic tunes that worked amazingly in that room. i hope junior starts a residency at bank its a brilliant place to hear him play. still collecting my thoughts & trainspots but Id rate the night ****3/4 of 5 stars at this point.....that crwd was VERY friendly very up for it very into juniors sound...when the record skipped at 1230 junior took it right off & played another- hilarious- hes more in charge than most djs- junior has the vibe & he makes it look ez....stunning night one of 5 best events of 206 so far......kudos

in one word:

BLECH!

Seems like a really nice guy and maybe those tunes keeps the typical JR crowd happy but give me AUTHENTIC NYC ELECTRO any day. Shite - if I kept my eyes wide open all night long I still couldn't have found any edge in that set. Even the basement DJ had enough in him to play a song that sampled the Orb.

The crowd seemed to love it BUT the "Bank" crowd was hardly there. I mean there were ZERO Tee Kids and only a handful of "employees". I sat looking at the empty reserve tables til 1am. Granted I must admit Jack, Sophia and Skyla dancing by the rails did one hell of a job making sure JR's night had that "Larry Tee" stamp on it but if that was the only night you've ventured out to see Larry Tee you can hardly consider that authentic Tee.

Thing is having Larry out of town is making me respect and admire the guy a hell of a lot more then I already did.

that was one of the most cheerful & happy & satisfied nyc crowds Ive seen all year. would that every nyc party espec on a saturday night had such an enthusiastic & fun crowd- zero bad vibes anywhere to be seen.

jnr's house is propulsive, why would you expect electro from him? larry tee knows 1000% what junior plays and junior did what we wanted & more.

juniors set was wondertul from start to finish.

Seems like a really nice guy and maybe those tunes keeps the typical JR crowd happy but give me AUTHENTIC NYC ELECTRO any day. Shite - if I kept my eyes wide open all night long I still couldn't have found any edge in that set. Even the basement DJ had enough in him to play a song that sampled the Orb.

:type:

I got there around 12:00am and Junior Vasquez was playing moslty electro tunes, but the tracks were considered minimum electro beat tunes, not the heavy electro tunes. Since I never heard Larry Tee and concluding from you comment ComputerJockey it seems that Larry plays maximum electro beat tunes. As the night continued Junior did play several of his signature remixed tunes and house vocals along with tribal tracks. I also heard him play several Depech Mode tunes(that has a electro feel ). So in my opinion the edge in Junior's set was there. I would also comment, Junior did not pump up the volume until about 1:00am so perhaps to get a good feel of Junior's electro tunes at the beginning was some what not to audible until later on.

As for the basement DJ, he was good. The set he played was Sound Factory 27th St revisited tunes of Junior Vasquez's second return to Sound Factory 27th , playing homage to Junior Vasquez's early Factory days, hearing classic tunes after classic tunes that I heard Junior play about 15 years ago in Sound Factory 27th St, which were very electro, acid, techo sounds, and were ahead of it's time. Toward the end of the closing party,the downstairs DJ played a unreleased slow and sexy song from Janet Jackson's album Damita Jo,not a Orbit sound at all but a sexy song that I did not mind hearing at all.

:)

Um, JR was NOT playing anything remotely electro or ANYTHING that I wouldn't hear on KTU (it's a joke people). I don't consider something wtih "electro bleeps" to be electro. He was playing the typical "big room" slightly generic and kinda gay house. And I never said anything about what 'vibe' was going on. I have ZILCH against JR and his style of music. I pretty much got exactly what I thought JR would spin. However I hate that "big room" sound because it lacks anything resembling an 'edge' to it. The crowd was fun but it was your generic gay crowd and there was maybe 1/10th of "Tee regulars" there so IMO it was a fantastic crowd but not your typical Tee-crowd (don't get me wrong - I am NOT saying one's better - I just don't go for the typical 'gay bar' crowd).

On another musical side-note Larry does not play "MAXIMUM" electro. To me "MAXIMUM" electro is like Belgium electro and that shite doesn't even get played in NYC as far as I know. Trust me, if I knew of a club that played anything remotely like Belgium electro I'd be there every night. However as far as very very good NYC electro go Larry Tee is by far IT.

It was kinda fun tho being at the club before it opened and watching JR run around. I could have sworn I was 6 years old at Disney World watching Chip or Dale run around. I might not be hardcore into him but there's no denying the man is a living legend in his scene. If any DJ deserves respect it's JR.

As far as the basement DJ - I only heard a song or two. I only made reference to him because the 1st song I heard him spin was sampling the shite out of "Little Fluffy Clouds" by the Orb and 3 weeks ago when a different DJ at Cain played "Lush 3.1" by Orbital he had ZERO clue to who Orbital was (and that time the song wasn't just sampling the original but was basically the entire song).

no there was almost zero 'electro' in juniors set. i dont know why youd expect him to change hios style for bank or anyone. when larry booked junior he knew what he plays. i thought junior was excellent & it was a really fun party but i see some people didnt enjoy the night as much as I did. there was quite a few hot tracks for me and thats what i expect from jnr & like to hear.

i think larry tee is a great dj as is jon jon battles. - residents at great crobar disgraceland party late 2004.

jnr has played electro ish trax in the past like miss kitten rippen kitten & also avenue d, but if anything Ill hear 1 or so electro iosh tracks in an occasional set but i expect HOUSE and thats what jnr played & I LOVED that set.

partial setlist:

Mario Vasquez - Gallery (Junior's mix)

Love Sensation 06

Kiss You All Over (Johnny Vicious mix?)

Bodyshaker into Be Quiet

This Royal Joy

Elements 06 (Ronen M.'s mix)

Noises

Believe in Me

Lift up the Needle

TRL, U Gotta Luv

Pier Pressure vs. Princess Julia - Want My Body