Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The power of The PARADISE GARAGE and LARRY LEVAN, video

Well im sure most of the people on this board by now know that the PARADISE GARAGE(1977-1987) on 84 king street nyc was either one of or THE MOST INFLUENTIAL AND BEST CLUB EVER TO HAVE BEEN OPEN. And its dj LARRY LEVAN has been regarded as the BEST DJ TO EVER LIVE.

Ask all the legendary djs such as danny tenaglia,david morales,paul oakenfold, junior vasquez, francois k, louie vega, danny krivit, angel moraes,joe claussell,frankie knuckles, roger sanchez,etc and they will all tell you everything fails in comparison to the vibe, lighting, soundsystem, staff, dancefloor, food, music, and dj that the garage had.

You can do a search on this board for the countless threads ive made with articles, pictures topics based around this club and dj. Also the dvd documentary MAESTRO talks about this club and other legendary nyc parties djs clubs that was the blueprint for the global dj house music culture. Also what other dj do you know who has his bday celebrated every yr in a club in nyc 14yrs after his death.

Heres a quick clip from the DVD MAESTRO the first 7 mins or so. But at around the 2min 52 sec mark you can see the inside of the paradise garage at its glory with "time warp" a very big garage track from 1983 being played over the video footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWDQqITKbs

Liquidskyny will probably throw in some negative comments after a few posts but dont mind him. Enjoy everyone who hasnt seen maestro before or even those who have enjoy.

I am going to have to disagree about the part about him being he best dj to ever live. I know many people that were there and would say that he actually was not a very good dj at all. HE was more famous for knowing just what track to drop. Of course people from the past are going to say there time was best and nothing today compares...but i would say org. SF,Arena and twilo would stand up to that club. Can you imagine how popular Jr will be years after his death..i think it will be nothing in comparison. I am not saying i dont have respect for larry for what he did...but i think others after his passing took it to a much much higher level.

Well im sure most of the people on this board by now know that the PARADISE GARAGE(1977-1987) on 84 king street nyc was either one of or THE MOST INFLUENTIAL AND BEST CLUB EVER TO HAVE BEEN OPEN. And its dj LARRY LEVAN has been regarded as the BEST DJ TO EVER LIVE.

Ask all the legendary djs such as danny tenaglia,david morales,paul oakenfold, junior vasquez, francois k, louie vega, danny krivit, angel moraes,joe claussell,frankie knuckles, roger sanchez,etc and they will all tell you everything fails in comparison to the vibe, lighting, soundsystem, staff, dancefloor, food, music, and dj that the garage had.

You can do a search on this board for the countless threads ive made with articles, pictures topics based around this club and dj. Also the dvd documentary MAESTRO talks about this club and other legendary nyc parties djs clubs that was the blueprint for the global dj house music culture. Also what other dj do you know who has his bday celebrated every yr in a club in nyc 14yrs after his death.

Heres a quick clip from the DVD MAESTRO the first 7 mins or so. But at around the 2min 52 sec mark you can see the inside of the paradise garage at its glory with "time warp" a very big garage track from 1983 being played over the video footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWDQqITKbs

Liquidskyny will probably throw in some negative comments after a few posts but dont mind him. Enjoy everyone who hasnt seen maestro before or even those who have enjoy.

that clubs looks pretty awesome, i was only a young kid when that club was around....i liked that dj's description of the doves coming through the doors, could totally imagine it - love that imagery. when doves cry afterwards, hot.

???

As has been the case for a while now mike tries to put me down any chance by mentioning that i only graduated from high school and work weekends at a real estate office answering phones and putting in listings. But also forgets to mention that i dance in commercials,movies,videos,ads as well from time to time. Also that i use to manage a hair salon for 4 yrs in the upper east side but decided to take a long break from workin 50+hrs a week.

If you search his posts he has a great history about either trying to talk down to me or make negative comments regarding stuff that i post about. I hope this clears up any more questions you may have on this subject. Now also remember something since it seems that hes trying to say hes done and is doing better and bigger things than i am in this life. We are on the same messageboard and at least i dont try to put anyone down i didnt need to go to college to learn that.

As has been the case for a while now mike tries to put me down any chance by mentioning that i only graduated from high school and work weekends at a real estate office answering phones and putting in listings. But also forgets to mention that i dance in commercials,movies,videos,ads as well from time to time. Also that i use to manage a hair salon for 4 yrs in the upper east side but decided to take a long break from workin 50+hrs a week.

If you search his posts he has a great history about either trying to talk down to me or make negative comments regarding stuff that i post about. I hope this clears up any more questions you may have on this subject. Now also remember something since it seems that hes trying to say hes done and is doing better and bigger things than i am in this life. We are on the same messageboard and at least i dont try to put anyone down i didnt need to go to college to learn that.

WoW Gabe. Nicely said

HE was more famous for knowing just what track to drop..

that's 99.99% of the job right there.

that video clip with time warp playing reminded me to Twilo with junior playing "Feel Like Singing" (time warp remix) ... except Twilo was more of a white club than a black club like the Garage.

I am going to have to disagree about the part about him being he best dj to ever live. I know many people that were there and would say that he actually was not a very good dj at all. HE was more famous for knowing just what track to drop. Of course people from the past are going to say there time was best and nothing today compares...but i would say org. SF,Arena and twilo would stand up to that club. Can you imagine how popular Jr will be years after his death..i think it will be nothing in comparison. I am not saying i dont have respect for larry for what he did...but i think others after his passing took it to a much much higher level.

larry levan wasnt a great dj as far as mixing tracks well.....but he was one of the first to show emotion in every track he played and to have the ability to make a crowd actually cry from his amazing sets!!!!!! and everyone knows crowd control and communicating with ur crowd is the most important part of djing!!

that's 99.99% of the job right there.

that video clip with time warp playing reminded me to Twilo with junior playing "Feel Like Singing" (time warp remix) ... except Twilo was more of a white club than a black club like the Garage.

what does the color of those in attendance have to do with anything? A good time is a good time.

Guest onisakura
ah yes, little high school degree, p/t receptionist...you are just so much cooler than me...i'm jealous

A person's choice of profession and level of education shouldn't be used against them to ridicule. Any moron with mommy and daddy footing the bill can get a degree, its not a measure of your intelligence. And you can tell from Gabe's posts that he's not a dumbass. So why knock on him? Cause basically you're insulting anyone else that doesn't have a college education.

Like myself.

A person's choice of profession and level of education shouldn't be used against them to ridicule. Any moron with mommy and daddy footing the bill can get a degree, its not a measure of your intelligence. And you can tell from Gabe's posts that he's not a dumbass. So why knock on him? Cause basically you're insulting anyone else that doesn't have a college education.

Like myself.

Don't you work in a law firm? How did you get in there with no degree? just curious, not being mean.

is there any video of him passing out while djing because he took too much drugs? would love to see that one. Its all about the music baby

Well it was an underground club with strict rules, so no video cameras nor regular cameras were allowed. And in case some people dont know there was no alcohol as well. And it was a members only club but members could bring guests. So imagine that a club in nyc that can hold 2-3 thousand people didnt serve liqour each week and lasted for 10yrs. That should tell you something about the dedication of the crowd and the people in charge of the club.

Guest onisakura
Don't you work in a law firm? How did you get in there with no degree? just curious, not being mean.

I do work at a law firm, as a paralegal in the real estate department. I started out as a weekend receptionist at a real estate company when i was 16, and when i finished highschool at 17 i went full time. A few months later i was hired by a title company owned by an attorney. Since then i have worked with attorneys and gained way more experience and knowledge than i would have had i decided to go to college. So now i have almost 11 years of varied real estate experience. Some places wont even look at my resume since i dont have a degree, but apparently my firm placed a higher value on actual experience. I know i'm lucky, but i also know my industry damn well.

I do work at a law firm, as a paralegal in the real estate department. I started out as a weekend receptionist at a real estate company when i was 16, and when i finished highschool at 17 i went full time. A few months later i was hired by a title company owned by an attorney. Since then i have worked with attorneys and gained way more experience and knowledge than i would have had i decided to go to college. So now i have almost 11 years of varied real estate experience. Some places wont even look at my resume since i dont have a degree, but apparently my firm placed a higher value on actual experience. I know i'm lucky, but i also know my industry damn well.

Interesting. I'm sure you know it well, I'm just surprised that you could get in with no degree. Like you said about the places that won't look at your resume, I would have thought it would be like that across the board.

Congrats!

Guest onisakura
Interesting. I'm sure you know it well, I'm just surprised that you could get in with no degree. Like you said about the places that won't look at your resume, I would have thought it would be like that across the board.

Congrats!

Thanks. :)

what does the color of those in attendance have to do with anything? A good time is a good time.
it does if you are into black boys! more seriously, a lot of the good dance music broke out in black night clubs (warehouse, music box, garage, ...) and was made by black artists (early chicago house, techno, ...). It matters somehow.

• 2 months later...