Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Junior @ Stereo reviews?

funkd

I went..i thought he was great! He played very hard and dark. A lot of regulars said the music was strange for a junior set. I live for jr when he plays this way...it was almost like he was angry about something and it showed through his music selection. There were some evil tracks played and this was supposed to be a classic nite....not that i would like him to play this way all the time but it was a nice change and definitely a surprise. I think the sound needs some work...yes it is loud and powerful but kind on your ear drums it is not.

I went..i thought he was great! He played very hard and dark. A lot of regulars said the music was strange for a junior set. I live for jr when he plays this way...it was almost like he was angry about something and it showed through his music selection. There were some evil tracks played and this was supposed to be a classic nite....not that i would like him to play this way all the time but it was a nice change and definitely a surprise. I think the sound needs some work...yes it is loud and powerful but kind on your ear drums it is not.

Junior was pissed off that night about something,but don't know what it is,his camp knows but are keeping a tight lip on it.

Great space, awful set. His music ahd no flow: he went from throwing a twilo classic (his mix Angel Moares "The cure") to cutting into some obscure electroish filler tracks. I kept hoping he would find his groove, but it never happened.

Junior is so inconsistent, it is very frustrating...

jnr at stereo was average/uninspired to worse. odd cos his bank set 4 days earlier was brilliant, phenomenal. i went to both & here are my thoughts:

junior at stereo thanksgiving eve

got to club like 1110/15. no line, just a few guys ahead of me. recognized doorstaff from spirit & prob other clubs in recent years too. professional, pretty efficient. search was through, incl the between the legs. not as invasive as pacha has been once or twice but still, possibly a tad over the line, given that many clubs dont do the body search at all. upstairs to box office. $20 seems fair for a junior thanksgiving weekend event. to ther main floor. there are actually about 25-40 people here at 1115 and it staedily picks up every 10 mins or so. I think opening dj is on but junior is there sorting records & within 15 mins jnr is spinning. I chill with mixed drink $10 is about average price for nyc clubs in 2006. 11th hour music doesnt do much for me. circuit house with vocals. like 1130 din daa daa comes on its ok but others like this track much more than I do.

walk upstairs. mens room on 2nd floor ladies on 1. only 2 bathrooms for this club? at peak capacity that cld mean delays. i like the layout. lots of room to welk around balcony, a 2nd bar, check out junior in the booth. hes wearinmg a white tank top with keith harings bassline art screened on it.

by 1145 junior pulls out 2 hot psych tribal type deep house tracks- like hes echoing the beats back against the drums? really cool & people start shouting on the floor. floor is already starting to fill altho upstairs still nice and empty to chill & watch.

after 12 he plays angel's 'the cure.' again shouts and lots of motion in crowd, this is actually working out pretty well for an 12-1230 party already.

by 1 floor is nicely packed & nice crowd is present- I found this to be a more mature & mixed and also junior savvy crowd, i think most people here came for jnr but also some to chk out stereo. by 1-1`30 he plays what ends up being the hottest track that i hear - its an electro/eutro/electroclash/synth type number with a female vocal & very german sounding chords. Ive heard lawler play it & it kills its astomper a stormer & I just love the melody & modern euro sound- its a cousin to rippin kitten or even peaches but the production is more edgy & forward. best track all night. by 2 i start feeling jnrs programing is more up & down. he plays a cool mix of JT 'sexy back' like a hard dub & even a backwards section. its hot & cld have gone on more. it goes right into Bango & can you party which are nice but things seem a bit random to me.

by 230-3 somehow the cd is having one second drop-outs & jnr even wrecks 2 or 3 times in 1 or 2 songs. it really brings the vibe down. Im enjoying the room to move on balcony- downstarirs is really crowded & maybe not even as fun cos of it - but the cd dropouts & trainwrecks really bring the mood down.

by 3 Im hearing basically repetitious circuit vocal house with a retro feel....

I loved the music at 1 am or so but by 3 , 330 Im ready to go.

the crowd is attractive for a junior event/thanksgiving hol;iday weds. and mixed, and fun, but the music is not speaking to me.

i leave into rain at 330-345 . i had a much better time at bank on saturday & i thought juniors set last sat at bank was substantially better than this mixed bag.

i rated thanksgiving classics *** of 5 stars from 11-330 am.

maybe others have good trackspots for last night from 330-7, 8 am

I like stereo as a venue & I'll go back when jnr does a regular 2006 dj set night

also foolish mind games early the hot 2006 mix . In The Dark We Live(Thee Light) - Aphrohead (Junior's Factory Mix)

So Get Up - Underground Sound Of Lisbon (Junior's Factory Mix)

X-Pact - Excess(new remix)

Jaydee - Plastic Dreams(new remix)

Ceevox - Music Is My Life (Junior Remix)

Justin Timberlake - My Love(some sick, twisted mix, dub version)

TRL(Tim Letter) "U Gotta Luv" (not sure which mix that was, but not the origianl one) C & C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) a new remix

C + C Music Factory - Keep It Comin' (Dance Till You Can't Dance No More!) accepalla

Copyright - He Is (?) Plastic Dreams

The Cure

JT - Sexy Back (some remix that I didn't recognize)

Architect - Speed OJ (not sure if it was the actual track or just something sampling the vocal -- "the end of the earth is upon us... pretty soon it will all turn to dust...")

Lift Up the Needle (Nick Harvey's mix)

he may have been mad cos somebody OD'd like 1 ish & there was an EMT guy clocking all the boys all nite- not fun.

______________________________________________________-

junior at bank/element II

Got there about 2. it was impossibble finding cabs on houston going east! I had to take a limo theree were many drivers out like that.

at 2 Bank was quite jammed & the energy was very up. Curious what Jnr played from 11-2.

I had a total blast even if the crowded conditions kept me basically by the bar/door entrance/booth - i was able to dance most of the time i wanted & everyone around me was super friendly, there were shirtless muscle boys & everyone was having a blast.

i think junior was pretty hot last night played his traditional club house style, and then every 15 or 20 mins the music would peak into like a frenzy, i really love those big moments 7 junior seems to be able to produce those & control them technically as well or better than most djs one hears in nyc or from europe- I am wildly impressed with juniors repertoire & general skills even if he doesnt always bring it out every set.

but he did last night, highlights incl reap 2006, who do you love, and finally the cure & the cause. i also heard some of get your hands off my man. basically lots of banging house beats, vocals for sure...he must have played other tunes that I forgot but i was having a blast even in the hot & crowded conditions, which is not always the case- at pacha when it gets hot like at howells or jammed like at DT its much harder to have fun.

buit much fun was had last night & musically it was my 2nd fave jnr set of 2006 after the amazing bassline opening night at shelter. i thought his music & technique far outstripped his element debut night, altho there was good energy at both events. excellent crowd fun energetic and very happy.

****1/2 of 5 stars

he might have played JTs my love also . also I think Movin on & maybe do it properly. John Creamer - Captivating (love this -- isn't there a full album coming out at some point?)

Midnight Society - Noises

Ellis D/Vernessa - Y'all Had Enuff (Nick Harvey's mix)

Lift up the Needle (Nick Harvey mix)

Helen Larimore - CUNT (Nick Harvey, again)

I love the Runway Part 3 (Nick... lol) -- this rocks, and the crowd went nuts for it

?? - Twilight (I can't remember who produced this, but it's someone from this board.... love that track, and it sounds even better in a club)

That mix of Who Do You Love that incorporates the melody from Brazen/Weep (I think... or maybe I've just been listening to it on Junior's World so much that it's in my head.)

I also was coming back from the bathroom and caught the end of something that sounded like -- I think -- a new mix of C+C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat. Can anyone else confirm?

lots of energy dancing 410 am ****1/2

sure both of jnrs bank sets were jammed but that crowd is very 'up for it' even if only like half are jnr devotees- the energy a week ago was massive!

at bank he closed at 410 [previous jnr bank went til 5 am]

stereo is a decent space but jnrs music bordered on the sociopathic weds. night & i can only conjecture he was angry about the EMT nurse/ OD cos it was a bizatrre selection of tunes that did not go together at all.... while bank was an ecstatic groovy club house set!

calling the stereo set 'classic' in an y way is a misnomer - it was more "Sick" and gave me the worst feeling I had to leave by 330

I felt the opposite, perhaps you want to hear the same repititous/repetitve sets at every party like many djs do in NYC clubland, thank goodness Junior doesn't do that....

Great space, awful set. His music ahd no flow: he went from throwing a twilo classic (his mix Angel Moares "The cure") to cutting into some obscure electroish filler tracks. I kept hoping he would find his groove, but it never happened.

Junior is so inconsistent, it is very frustrating...

Dark, cool space. The music was a mix of dirty, hard, electro & tribal beats and tracks; not many vocals. His music had a unfamiliar, deep house sound, with a interesting flow. He never lost his groove because I didn't loose mine.

Junior is a dj that plays many tracks from many different years of the 20th to the 21st century. He is consistent with never playing the same sets, which I appreciate. It is always good and never frustrating for me...

IMO

:type:

I felt the opposite, perhaps you want to hear the same repititous/repetitve sets at every party like many djs do in NYC clubland, thank goodness Junior doesn't do that....

Dark, cool space. The music was a mix of dirty, hard, electro & tribal beats and tracks; not many vocals. His music had a unfamiliar, deep house sound, with a interesting flow. He never lost his groove because I didn't loose mine.

Junior is a dj that plays many tracks from many different years of the 20th to the 21st century. He is consistent with never playing the same sets, which I appreciate. It is always good and never frustrating for me...

IMO

:type:

I agree...Junior's set was really good at Stereo. I wish he would play like that more often. It was a nice treat to hear jr play like that.. it was a fresh sound...not the same old. It was one of my best jr nites of the year!!!!!!!!!! Its not everyday jr plays a dark evil non vocal set like that. the beats were sick!!!

I liked his set and had a great time.. It was good to see old friends from back in the day.. place had a good vibe and the music even though dark it was good and i was dancing all night.. i have heard a lot worse from junior in the past.. Only thing man are they strict there friend got kicked out for smoking cig..