Clubplanet Nightlife Community

cops closed crobar.....

NYPD Shuts Down Two Manhattan Nightclubs

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Police closed down two nightclubs for at least five nights, saying they had histories of violence, drug sales and other problems.

Crobar and Sol, both in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, were shuttered at 10 p.m. Friday, police said. The clubs were just opening, and few patrons were on hand, Detective. Theresa Farello said.

The nightspots will be closed at least until a court hearing Wednesday, when a judge will decide whether to let them reopen, she said.

Crobar's phone was not answered early Saturday, and messages left at Sol were not immediately returned.

A city nuisance law lets authorities close businesses that have been the scenes of drug sales, alcohol violations and some other offenses.

Police pointed to the shooting of two Crobar patrons in July. They also said in a release that investigators had made multiple undercover drug buys at the Crobar, at 530 W. 28th St., and the club had been cited with three alcohol violations.

Sol has seen "multiple acts of violence which required police response," the police release said. The club, at 609 W. 29th St., also has been ticketed twice on charges of having a disorderly premises and failing to control the crowd, and police have evidence of drug use, drug sales and numerous thefts there, the release said.

funny thing, when reading older post about other clubs being closed down that play different types of music such as Hip-Hop, all the prejudice people come out the woodwork. Now that a Techno club got closed down for a couple of days for mostly the exact same reasons, i havent heard 1 single prejudice remark about the music or the people who go there and how the contributed to its closing.... just an observation....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you never got that fucked up in ur life?

I don't think that was his point... You should be held accountable for your actions.. I'm pretty sure you grew up here in NYC and you know when and where you should be late at night in this city.. She was underage, wasted and walking along 12th ave late night.. Which is not the safest thing in the world to do..Now did she deseve this no, but just like 10-15 years ago if you heard someone was killed for doing the same thing, peoples first reaction would be what in the world was she doing in that neighborhood by herself..

If this girl was say at a friends house getting f' up and the same shit happend people would not be blaming the club they would blame her..

The politicans do not want any bad press of crime in the papers, and anyway they can divert it to blame it on something else they will.. This is an example of it..

funny thing, when reading older post about other clubs being closed down that play different types of music such as Hip-Hop, all the prejudice people come out the woodwork. Now that a Techno club got closed down for a couple of days for mostly the exact same reasons, i havent heard 1 single prejudice remark about the music or the people who go there and how the contributed to its closing.... just an observation....

b/c when a techo club closes its due to underage drinking or finding drug use.. When something goes wrong at a hip hop club it usually involves gun fire.. If a club is attracting that type of person it should be closed down

techno music???? hahaha.........thats like me calling a black guy a shine

your swaying away from what the general idea was and that is that everyones mouth is suddenly closed when it happens to one of those clubs and no one has anything to say about the people that go to those clubs

Who said anything about that? Those clubs are prob the most publicized when they get shut down. Remeber Tunnel, Limelight and Sound Factory? They were all over the news. How can you say that no one says anything when those clubs are closed? EVERYONE has something to say.

Yea "we" blame the crack heads that don't know how to act, the idiot drug dealers, and the underage guys and girls who go and fuck it up for everyone else.

So what I want to know is, what world do you live in saying that everyone has something to say about hip hop clubs being shut down but no one has anything to say when MAJOR NYC VENUES are being shut down??

In the spirit of shutting down clubs, Clubplanet recommends 5 additional steps for victory:

1) Ban liquor from being served after 10 pm. This will keep our streets sober and safe.

2) Send additional cops--as many as 20,000 more--directly into the clubs. These cops will assist the bouncers; they will work as advisors. We'll call this the new "surge" strategy.

3) Interrogate suspects. If, on a Friday night by the velvet rope, the NYPD spots someone that might have been drinking alcohol, or someone that looks like they might enjoy alcohol, the police should be given permission to search, interrogate, and imprison.

4) To streamline the judicial process, the NYPD should create "special prisons" for these nightlife detainees, prisons that fall outside the purview of the Constitution.

And finally, this last point is key:

5) At all times, insist that we are winning the war on nightlife violence. Even if senior police officers disagree, even if the public doesn't support it, and even if the nominal enemy--nightclubs--were only tangentially, obliquely, and in some cases not at all involved in the initial violence.

does that really say no liquor served after 10pm??? if so then i guess clubplanet doesnt want clubs to be in NYC anymore...

NY use to be the city that never sleeps. It is starting to seem like the politicians are feeding the City a strong dose of tylenol Pms.

As for whats going on in the city. If the club is knowingly doing wrong they should be punished. However, as much as a club might know it could be difficult to prove. If a patron has a fake Id that appears real is it the clubs obligation to hire experts to detect if its real or not. If someone is able to sneak drugs in a club with 3000 people and is selling them is it the owners fault. The bouncers are obseving everything they can in a club. Trouble is going to happen they just have to try to contain it. While the police are looking for specific things.

As for the girl who was on the west side highway and got killed. What gets me about that whole thing is....

Is it the clubs responsibility to see everyone exits the club safely and takes the safest route home. Maybe they should pass the " call when you get home law" requiring every club owner to call all the patrons from the night and make sure they got home ok. Also the one thing i find AMAZINg about that whole situation. Funny how the city never blames the cops. Its 4 am on the west side highway. You blame the night clubs but WHERE THE HELL WERE THE POLICE OFFERING PROTECTION.

when someone leaves a club its generally not the clubs obligation to make sure they get home safely. I also remember someone saying a girl got abducted in front of chelsea park. Maybe the police should stop worrying so much what goes on inside the club and watcht he people of the city outside the club so they dont get murdered.

NYC is just getting so pathetic you cant even have a good tiem anymore.

People People People!!!!... The 1010 win report on the closing is FALSE... I was out there and watched the cops play with their stickers they closed Crobar, Pink Elephant and Sol they don't have their info straight or the Cops lied to them... The clubs were closed because they Stayed open afterhours on new Years.. they were supposed to get a lisense from the city to open after hours that night.. and the City refused to give them permits... so the owners said.. FUCK IT.. Party on Kids!.. NYPD got MAD cuz they got Punked.. so the only thing they could do is to close the place... and they waited friday night at 10 pm and moved in. All the stuff about Drug use drug sales fights shootings are all excuses not the Real reason..That's why they closed the clubs down. My sources are reliable... Two are bouncers from each club and one is NYPD. Think about it if it was really about drugs and violence, they would not wait until friday night at 10pm...they would have moved in last week if they really wanted to send a message.

It doesnt matter the reason. NYC is still looking to shut down any and every lounge or night club. Working at many of them I have gotten to speak to a lot of owners. THey all say the same thing. THey are scared to do anything because the police come down on everything adn look for any reson to shut them down. NYC would be happy if they could be the first state in the country to reinstitute prohibition.

People People People!!!!... The 1010 win report on the closing is FALSE... I was out there and watched the cops play with their stickers they closed Crobar, Pink Elephant and Sol they don't have their info straight or the Cops lied to them... The clubs were closed because they Stayed open afterhours on new Years.. they were supposed to get a lisense from the city to open after hours that night.. and the City refused to give them permits... so the owners said.. FUCK IT.. Party on Kids!.. NYPD got MAD cuz they got Punked.. so the only thing they could do is to close the place... and they waited friday night at 10 pm and moved in. All the stuff about Drug use drug sales fights shootings are all excuses not the Real reason..That's why they closed the clubs down. My sources are reliable... Two are bouncers from each club and one is NYPD. Think about it if it was really about drugs and violence, they would not wait until friday night at 10pm...they would have moved in last week if they really wanted to send a message.

Do you have a link for this?

hearsay is not credible evidence unless supported by tapings, interviews, reliable links/people. anyone can say what you said if thought out properly. if you want to prove a point, please provide further evidence to your statement. otherwise we will keep questioning for the truth, and your point will not be made.

my two cents