Clubplanet Nightlife Community

5-HTP pills....

Im just curious if anyone else takes these pills? I just started taking them yesterday b/c I felt kind of down on myself after rolling the last 2 weekends. Does anyoen kow if they really work and if you are taking them, have you noticed any change in yourself due to taking them?

------------------

~*~* Women beat their men~*~*~The men beat on their drums~*~*

I take them an hour before I go out, and when I'm coming down. They help with the hangover. They're an anti-depresant, so they should make you feel better if you're taking them on a reg. basis. I only take them though on the night of and morning after, as to not make taking them a habit.

They help me, but others say it has no effect. It all depends on your body.

------------------

Live life every day as if it were your last!

Corporate

djcorporate@hotmail.com

Does taking them an hour before you go out, or drop your pill, make you roll better or longer?

You also said you take them when youre coming down, does that help pull your roll back up?

------------------

I'll have to agree with Pershoot, try not to take too much . . . however, it's good to take one (I believe) for two nights before you go out and then take two when you get back home from partying. But DEFINATELY try taking anti-oxidants after you party. It really does help!

BlueAngel

------------------

"Rehab is for quitters!"

Originally posted by misskittie:

Does taking them an hour before you go out, or drop your pill, make you roll better or longer?

You also said you take them when youre coming down, does that help pull your roll back up?

i find taking them before makes you really dopey, but the roll is definately stronger cuz your seratonin is at its peak level...

------------------

deez nuts

Well Im gonna roll on Saturday. I took one pill yesterday and one today. Would it just be best for me to wait to take another after partying on Saturday? Im really not too familiar with these pills at all but I dont want any bad side effects eiother. Any help would be great.

If anything, does anyone know I site I could check out with more info?

Thanks guys!!

------------------

If you're going to party on Saturday then take one tonight and then when you get back from partying on Sunday morning and getting ready for bed take two and some anti-oxidants. That should do the trick.

BlueAngel

------------------

"Rehab is for quitters!"

Ok thanks for the info! Hopefully after taking these I will notice a difference! Like I said before I only started taking them yesterday but already my mood feels to be up. That may be all in my mind but whatever works is good to me!

------------------

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that is the intermediate step between tryptophan and the important brain chemical serotonin. There is a massive amount of evidence that suggests that low serotonin levels are a common consequence of modern living. The lifestyle and dietary practices of many people living in this stress-filled era results in lowered levels of serotonin within the brain. As a result, many people are overweight, crave sugar and other carbohydrates, experience bouts of depression, get frequent headaches, and have vague muscle aches and pain. All of these maladies are correctable by raising brain serotonin levels. The primary therapeutic applications for 5-HTP are low serotonin states as listed in Table 1.

Table 1. Conditions associated with low serotonin levels helped by 5-HTP

Depression

Obesity

Carbohydrate craving

Bulimia

Insomnia

Narcolepsy

Sleep apnea

Migraine headaches

Tension headaches

Chronic daily headaches

Premenstrual syndrome

Fibromyalgia

Although 5-HTP may be relatively new to the United States health food industry, it has been available through pharmacies for several years and has been intensely researched for the past three decades. It has been available in several European countries as a medicine since the 1970s.

2. What advantages does 5-HTP have over L-tryptophan?

There are many advantages of 5-HTP over L-tryptophan. First of all, because it is one step closer to serotonin, 5-HTP is more effective than L-tryptophan. 5-HTP is also inherently safer. Although L-tryptophan is safe if properly prepared and free of the contaminants linked to severe allergic reaction known as eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS), L-tryptophan is still produced with the help of bacterial fermentation (a situation that lends itself to contamination). In contrast, 5-HTP is isolated from a natural source - a seed from an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Also it takes about 5 hrs or so for the body to convert 5-htp for use.

------------------

~*P*L*U*R*~

Four Simple Words To Live By....

[This message has been edited by e-tarded (edited 08-18-2000).]

Hey-

I take them the night before I know I will party (100mg), the afternoon I come home, and two days after, the two days after I take 50mg a day, at nite, 'cause it turns partly to melotonin in your system, which makes ya sleepy and have funky dreams.

I definitely noticed a difference... Even if it is only psychosomatic, hey, I feel better.

Also, take those multi's every day, drink milk, eat your veggies!

Mom was always right!

PeAcE

d

Misskittie,

5HTP definitely works for me. The strategy for me is usually 100mg the day before, 100mg day of plus 500mg of Vitamin C, 100mg/day for two days following. It REALLY helps smooth out the low parts. I hope this is helpful for you.

Be safe and have a good time.

~PEACE~

i preload with 5-htp, selenium and l-tyrosine about an hour beforehand. i never feel down or hungover (btw, hangovers may be due to dehydration - remember to drink oceans of water).

the only thing i feel the day after is tired, but i think that might have something to due with the fact that i dance non-stop (well except for when i'm in the bathroom) =)

------------------

icon9.giflove.gificon7.gif

Well, 5HTP is a precursor of serotonin...thus taking it boosts your serotonin levels...I usually take 100-150mg an hour before rolling and about the same after I come down. If I roll 2 weekends in a row, i take about 100 mg a day for that whole week inbetween rolls.

When 5HTP is broken down, one of the by products is melatonin. Melatonin is what your body uses to make u feel sleepy...thus the dopey effect when you take 5HTP. There's tons of info at www.dancesafe.org and www.hyperreal.org.

Peace

Ok so let me get this staright, the melatonin makes you sleep, being the dopeness which you feel. So why would it be suggestable to take it right before you roll? I dont want my hit to make me dopey and blah. I like to fly ya know. But why would you take it prior to rolling?

------------------

Since i'm plannin on rolling tomorrow, i was gonna take 5-htp today and tomorrow, just to try it out cause i've never taken it b4.

So I'd really like to know also if it makes your roll more dopey or not, cause if it does than I'm not gonna take it, since I prefer speedy

romy20

------------------

DANCE LIKE NOBODY'S WATCHING.......

clubchick20@hotmail.com

I decided to take it because my mood was down. I noticed while sitting around I seemed to have this puss on my face and thats sooo not me. I hadnt reolled in months and then I started up again about 3 weekes ago. My mood has been nothing like my normal chipper-self. People had been telling me that taking these pills helps to regulate the serotonin back to normal levels quicker than just waiting for it to naturally happen by giving it time, getting sleep and eating a lot of proteins. Im not really planning on taking them tomorrow since I have aken 50mg yesterday and toady and I feel better. Most of my concern was the depresion mood and I had just started getting this pans in my head....maybe its just me worrying but I dont know. I guess I will just have to wait and see the results but Im not planning on taking anymore until I come home b/c Im not sure of the effects of these pills. Some people may react differently to them and Id just rather play it safe for my own health and well being.

------------------