OFFICIAL STRYKE @ NOCTURNAL REVIEW

djoscarg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spankmeister

Wow...

What a interesting thread, especially for a new SoFla resident...

I can say that I was impressed with Stryke from when I heard him open for Josh Wink and what I heard on Saturday.

I don't DJ, so I really can't speak as to if someone has a 9-5er is bad or not...OG brings up some good points....

My view on this is, if you love what you do, then you do it all the time. Your skills become better, you put time and effort into a actual marketing gameplan and you succeed. Knowing about how a lot of things work in Detroit, I know that DJ's up there HAVE to have a job to pay the rent. Locals don't get paid squat...if they get paid at all...

But, I do know that arguing about it is not going to get anything accomplished....Sounds like you guys need to get organized and set up some standards....

As a club listener/goer/enthusiast I want to go and listen to good beats, hang out with good people and have a good time...if the DJ has a second job or does it as a career is no matter to me....If getting some guidelines/standards in order will produce better DJ's, I am all for it!!!...

One last thing though....When someone is able to survive very comfortably doing something, then quite a few people like that rest on their laurels a bit...not to say that goes for ANYONE that has posted in this thread...it doesn't....But first and foremost a DJ must LOVE the music, LOVE the vibe and really LOVE what they do....I have seen too many DJ's that just do what they do for just the money (usually happens when they become a "Top 25" DJ), or at least that is what it seems like to a lowly clubgoer like myself....When you see OG at Space or Stryke at Nocturnal, you see guys that haven't lost that...

BUT, back to the topic....Stryke rocks, he should have a residency at one of the major clubs in Miami...Period.

Guest biznation00

I see a bigger problem more along the topic of too many clubs, rather than too many djs. Nowhere near enough people to fill em all! But then again I'm a promoter, so i see things that way & djs see it thru Oscar's point of view.

We're in the crafty marketing era. Dog eat dog & it's only gonna get worse before it gets better! Lots of peepz out there wanting to be in this business for the wrong reason. Newsflash, it aint peaches & cream kids. You're in for a lot of heart ache & head ache even when its all paying off!

Biz Martinez

catinthehat.gif

Guest sross

It's all very well complaining that you are being undercut by other DJs, but if you are a DJ who is new to the scene, you can't ask for lots of money to play gigs; you play for free, for a few beers and perhaps for a few bucks. That is how most DJs start out. If promoters were forced to pay DJs they would pay the established DJs who add value to their line ups, not some no name DJ. That would create a closed shop of a handful of already-established DJs who get all the gigs while geniune talent is wasted playing to empty bedrooms.

Guest biznation00

Much respect for Stryke. The man has paid his dues time and time again.

and i don't think anyone can argue with that...

seuss-cat-hat.gif

Guest slamminshaun

It's all very well complaining that you are being undercut by other DJs, but if you are a DJ who is new to the scene, you can't ask for lots of money to play gigs; you play for free, for a few beers and perhaps for a few bucks. That is how most DJs start out. If promoters were forced to pay DJs they would pay the established DJs who add value to their line ups, not some no name DJ. That would create a closed shop of a handful of already-established DJs who get all the gigs while geniune talent is wasted playing to empty bedrooms.

That is a good point as well. Undercutting happens in ALL industries, not just the music business. I have to put up with people charging lower commissions because they want to take my clients from me. My people still do business with me because they know they get what they pay for. I guess ultimately, the burden is on the DJ to give the club owners a reason to pay the big bucks....market forces at work if you will.

I agree with your post...the question is what does established mean then? and how do you get there?

I played the gigs you are talking about for many years...paying dues

I never expected to be a headliner in a major club though...

I always understood that the "established" DJs were the ones who played in the big clubs...(in my day it was Danny Tenaglia @ Cheers, David Padilla @ Warsaw, Abel @ 1235, Scott Blackwell @ Backstreets, Ciro Llerena at Casanovas)

I looked up to these guys and learned from them and hoped someday I would be the resident at a big club...but I knew that would take time and effort and dedication...and I knew I would have to do plenty of gigs for nothing before I got there...as well as weddings and school dances and whatever other gig I could get...

The thing is, it seems as if today people want that instantly, they want the big gig right out of the gate. Unfortunately, it seems its happening at times around here. That is my concern.

I am the first one to support new and up and coming talent. I think I have shown that and made it clear that I support my Miami peers.

by the way...

the reason I started this thread was to say that:

STRYKE IS A BAD-ASS DJ THAT DESERVES A RESIDENCY IN THIS TOWN!!

but I am glad we also got an interesting (and intelligent) discussion out of it..

Guest teabag

If you are the best at whatever you do, you are getting paid and if you are not getting paid then you are not the best is simple as that and is irrefutable. Is not a Dj thing is a business thing, a life fact..... the cream of the crop of any career get paid.... from the guy that makes the best tomatoe sauce hands down to the guy that works at JP Morgan and the guy that smuggles a ton of cocaine without getting caught, If you are a "great one" and have not cashed in yet in this economy of ours.... there are things you are doing that are detrimental to yourself some how... bad management, bad exposure, poor marketing, bad or wrong attitude... something is lacking..... the great ones are the ones that are wanted by popular demand and can ask for whatever fee without much complaint. "Great ones" are wanted by businesses in order to make more money and be ahead from the other guys... you know.. you are in a league of your own when offers pour in to you without much effort anymore......... I am not talking on anybody in particular as being a "great one" is a part opinion... what is not opinion; but rather a fact is that a star in any job shines with a light different from others and their financial rewards are easily understood...... my uncle scouted baseball rookies and I can tell you that a star doesnt have a lot of dues to pay......... life is different all around despite what we do , but somethings are parallel no matter what you do.... just my .02 cents.

Guest klubveteran

Well well well look what two lurkers have decided to come out and post! (OG and EV)

Its nice for you guys to chip in and give these guys your insight and views on things. talking to the two of you as often as i do i know what your about and what great knowledge you have acquired and are the leaders of the next crop of djs out there. This site can use your input more often.

But i guess the little free time you get you dont wanna sit here and talk about it. I mean OG when not djing is most likely at an airport terminal toilet somewhere taking a dump and EV has never seen a poker hand he didnt like. so obviously your consumed with other things.

Oscar brings avalid point where people see him as Oscar G the Space resident/ world tour dj and dont even know all the steps along the way he had to endure and wait for that opportunity to come around. When it did come available he was ready and grabbed it by the horns. But people dont see the struggles he encountered. and the long tenure it took.

Same goes for Edgar. PVD didnt just waltz into his living room looking for a partner to open up for him. he earned it by playing many many nights to small and large crowds at good venues and bad venues. too long to list but i feel that going through that has made them "ready" and they value each opportunity they get NOW. and thats the reason why they are not "big headed assholes" to be quite frank they CAN be and are not.

but i see "OK" djs that get a half decent gig along the way and the lifestyle hits them. they get all cocky quick almost too comical even.

The Tiesto syndrome hits every dj nowadays. They wanna sell out clubs and get $20k gigs every weekend.

Theres an oversaturated market of OK djs (because everyone and thier mothers wants to be a superstar dj now) and in turn are hurting the talented ones.

when being a club owner if you have like 10 djs that are pretty much close clones of one another it drops the pay fee down. waaaay down.

club owners just play reverse auction on your ass and go with the lowest bidder DJ. there is always a guy that will take the gig for a lower price because he is chasing that dream or wants to be the next "it" guy. and in turn is just hurting the entire dj career path of thiers and others. soon enough all djs are going to have to get a 9-5 just to make ends meet. Unless of course your Ralph Falcon whose lifestyle rivals that of only Donald Trump or Bill Gates.

OG and EV keep the posting coming and others that are persuing to be where you are at now can only benefit from the knowledge.

Shit i i dont even know how to turn on a system. but if id be persuing that type of career path like many on here, id be a complete under study of you two.

Guest davidorth

this weekend was one of the best times i've had in miami in a while... stryke, as most of us already knew, is the shit... looking forward to next time...

OG sounds like my father, "back in my day" bla bla bla..

Welcome to 2005, enjoy the stay...

OG did you walk 10 miles in hurricanes with no shoes on back and forth to school as well????

As for klubvet, who the fuck waits for an opportunity? Thats pretty dumb to think one should wait for one... I create my opportunities, I don't wait for shit..

Guest Bahst

LMAO someone is taking things personally ::)

What I am refering to is a viscious circle...DJs in this town are doing gigs for less than the average DJ used to make in this town 10 years ago. Problem is, the clubs revenue HAS increased from 10 years ago.

Yea that is interesting how the clubs are making more and more money, but every dj I speak with always tells me that djs use to make a lot more than they do now...

I guess, the selection is much greater these days .. more supply of talent sort of speak, supply goes up, price tends to fall down

Nevertheless, I think that true talent can be placed above all and if a certain dj is in demand that will give them an opportunity to ask for a higher price...

However, artists are concernd with making art not money, in most cases. I think that's why the term 'starving artist' was coined at one time or another..

I guess that's why they have talent agents :)

someone once said

"A true genious knows how do everything, but how to make money"

Guest djtroko

By far the most interesting topic I have read in Cooljunkie. I am really glad that all these veterans who I've looked up to for the past couple of years are stating their opinions. All of em have their point and I can truly understand their opinions and nowadays with the oversaturation of anyone becoming a dj, including myself, how hard it must be to survive only on that. Now I will state my opinion and let it be clear that I most truly respect all you that do this as a living. Belive me, the greatest reward is how you've changed lives or made them better if only for a single night for many many clubbers.

I studied architecture and that is what I do daily M-F from 8 am-7pm sometime longer. I studied my ass off for this career and I love it. I was introduced to electronic music during my years doing my bachelor's in UF via Simons in G'ville. I can truly say that I supported many artists because I spent all my money buying EDM albums in college but thats not important. Yet in was on a party in the year 2000 that I went to see Sasha & Diggers along with RITM that my life completely took a turnpoint. Something that night and I know it was not drugs, said to me that I wanted to be the guy up there making people dance their ass off. It was in that instant that I depicted an "evil" puppet master kinda controlling all his dummies and I say evil because the music was dark and proggy that night. Nowhere in my head did I depict an image of money or a single dollar or that I wanted to be a rich rockstar. After that event I was a more loyal follower to the scene and also saved some earnings because I wanted to buy an equipment. I finished college and moved back home to Puerto Rico and bought a cheap mixer and 2 cd players cause it was the only thing I could afford. Its was a bit hard at the beginning to beatmatch but I managed to learn a bit. I also saved a bit more from my architecture internship because I wanted to get decks cause I loved the feel of vinyl. There was this small bar/lounge in San Juan that did open deck nights and I knew one of the guys so I talked to them and ask them if I could spin one night. They let me but this was my first ever club gig and I was trembling my ass off. I put the first record and I let it run without noticing the pitch was on 45 and it was a 33 record so when the kick came in it sounded like a thumping machine gun... What an embarrasement but I managed to start the record again and the people took it well because not many people were like today were all theyre doing is watching when the djs fuck up and criticize... Only djs have always done that. There was a time when people went out just and only just to have a good time. It still exists but to a less extent. Going back to my story I played a couple of trance records and cds and my beatmatching was kinda really bad but I changed the songs a little fast so that it wasnt so noticeable. I finished the set with Asension - Someone Like you and this really really cute girl came to me to tell me how much she liked my set and she gave me "THE NOD" (Groove the movie if anyone remembers). I almost felt like marrying her because of the feeling that meant to me that night. I will not recall anymore gigs because I do not wanna say the story of my dj life in a forum. After that I got better and better but still so very far from guys like many of you like Stryke who've Ive met and truly respect, Oscar who is one of my top 10 and Edgar V who truly made a wonderful night for me and my girlfriend in Puerto Rico in 2001. He rocked the hell out of Asylum, a now extinct nightclub in PR.

I am a designer and it is my dream to design A nightclub or as many as possible. I love hospitality design and hope to specialize in it. That is what pays my mortgage. But I love djing even more. Every single friday I get on the booth at Redbar, a small lounge in Brickell, and those six hours from 9-3 am are the best hours of my week. I do not do it for the money and I dont intend on taking anyones place as king resident in the best nightclubs anywhere in the world. I simply do not have the time, talent and courage to take that attitude. But I will not give up dj'ing because I cannot think of anything else to do during my extra time.

My point to Oscar, Edgar and any other true dj who we the "not-24" hour djs might have or are hurting in any way is that I see no harm in doing something for the pure sake of "amor al arte". I will continue to support you all because you were the ones who got us into this and in a way we are the ones who pay your mortgage or dues or rent or whatever. Keep the best coming out. Truly you guys have a gift and talent that many of us dream of having.

Oscar... good luck in PR for the Cell Halloween party

Stryke... the best of luck in your tour and remember that I want some tutoring with the studio/production thing.

Edgar...don't really know when you spin next but you're more needed in miami.

To all the others... Support your local djs and rock da house

And to Saleen who seems to always be da pimp of cooljunkie, I gotta meet you and am down for tsettos next time he's in town. wann hear what this guy does on the decks.

Guest mp3some

I agree with your post...the question is what does established mean then? and how do you get there?

I always understood that the "established" DJs were the ones who played in the big clubs...(in my day it was Danny Tenaglia @ Cheers, David Padilla @ Warsaw, Abel @ 1235, Scott Blackwell @ Backstreets, Ciro Llerena at Casanovas)

I looked up to these guys and learned from them and hoped someday I would be the resident at a big club...but I knew that would take time and effort and dedication...and I knew I would have to do plenty of gigs for nothing before I got there...as well as weddings and school dances and whatever other gig I could get...

The thing is, it seems as if today people want that instantly, they want the big gig right out of the gate. Unfortunately, it seems its happening at times around here. That is my concern.

I am the first one to support new and up and coming talent. I think I have shown that and made it clear that I support my Miami peers.

by the way...

but I am glad we also got an interesting (and intelligent) discussion out of it..

Agreed. ^ -finally some substance on the board-

I’d say Dues are Paid in every single occupation you can think of, If you’re in for the long haul…

And my guess is an ‘established’ dj, is one who has been around long enough for his Name to pull the crowds that fill the big clubs.

The scene in Miami these days offers many opportunities in clubs, lounges, rooms and spaces with all kinds of systems; where some have their starring appearances and many pay their dues on the road to the top…. But there are also Many clubs and very Few owners with the least sense of ‘music drive’…..

Only time will tell, really… and the scene will only get bigger and –hopefuly- better.

Said it before and again, Stryke is Truly one of the town’s finest and most talented jocks. Period. A Residence is long overdue!

Respect.

mp3.- 8)

Guest skywalker01

But I love djing even more. Every single friday I get on the booth at Redbar, a small lounge in Brickell, and those six hours from 9-3 am are the best hours of my week. I do not do it for the money and I dont intend on taking anyones place as king resident in the best nightclubs anywhere in the world. I simply do not have the time, talent and courage to take that attitude. But I will not give up dj'ing because I cannot think of anything else to do during my extra time.

how can you argue with that? lots of good points/ counter- points made in this thread. to oscar g: i understand your point as well, but like someone else stated "undercutting" happens throughout the business world. just a sad reality.

But I love djing even more. Every single friday I get on the booth at Redbar, a small lounge in Brickell, and those six hours from 9-3 am are the best hours of my week. I do not do it for the money and I dont intend on taking anyones place as king resident in the best nightclubs anywhere in the world. I simply do not have the time, talent and courage to take that attitude. But I will not give up dj'ing because I cannot think of anything else to do during my extra time.

how can you argue with that? lots of good points/ counter- points made in this thread. to oscar g: i understand your point as well, but like someone else stated "undercutting" happens throughout the business world. just a sad reality.

sad reality or the basis of capitalism??

If i came over to your house and offered you cheaper electricity would you take it, even though you assert it's a "sad reality"???

Next time you put gas in your car, think about how the illegal cartel doesn't allow undercutting or when you get married and Debeers controls all the prices of diamonds, then come back and tell me it's a "sad reality"...

Not picking on you, but lots of dumb posts in this thread, really dumb actualy. People are trying to toss the rules the invisible hand out the window, yet our lives are good based soley on that invisible hand.. Makes no sense...

Edgar is way off base with his remarks about taking other peoples jobs thats called socialism! This isn't France. OG has some good points and some bad, but over all he's trying to point out that a pro should have the spot not some guy willing to spin for a bag of donuts, points well taken, except, the guy with the bag of donuts could be the next OG... ya never know......

Guest rollyp66

Musch Respect to STRYKE! I'm sad to say I missed his set again, but I heard it was incredible.

OG your comments are on point, I couldn't agree with you more.

Biz you are correct also this business takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears! They just don't know..

Stryke deserves a residency, he paid his dues a long time ago.

Guest sross

by the way...

So on the one hand you are saying that DJs playing for free or for just a small fee is a bad thing, but on the other hand you are saying that that is how you started out?

I agree that many DJs want fame and fortune, and many want it instantly. I suppose it is symptomatic of the 'cult of the DJ' that has arisen over the past 10-15 years, where DJs are seen as more important than the music that they play, get paid large amounts of money for (in reality) not doing much, and lead lifestyles that many people consider to be desirable.

Guest noelsanger

ahem... one more log on the "stryke is my hero" fire.

to say he has paid dues is such an understatement- greg is an example of one who has given way more to dance music than he has taken. i love that.

if not at noc, i hope some club in miami has the effing vision to see what they are sitting on.

i'll go back to lurk mode now, shit i'm mot even in florida anymore...

peace and love

noel

Guest Ralph Falcon

hats off to stryke, dude tore it up sat night. finally brought that tomb back from the dead! and they don't have him there weekly cuz?? also saw they abandoned that pigeon perch booth up there for something more practical. maybe noc will turn it around after all. heard there might be a new oportunity for you dude, so good luck with that. as far as the scabs, yeah they should ship em all to an island and let them undercut themselves to oblivion. no discipline whatsoever, most of them lack respect and aren't worth the couple of free beers they get to play for. nice to punch out the clock and go wreck someone elses gig for free. im with the guys that say the market will regulate itself. i really believe this. but its the blatant disregard for the consequences. i wouldnt walk into your supercuts and offer to work for free without thinking, "dam im taking some jerkoffs job." oh yeah i forgot, "for the love." my ass.. thing is no one in their right mind would do that beacuse there is no glory in supercuts lol but "everyone wants to be a dj." not saying everyone does it for the same reason, but vanity drives alot of folks ambition around here. you just discovered at the age of 28 you love djing?? nigga please.. but the dude thats been doing it since 14 lost his gig to an accountant / dj wanna be?? i know, i know its the nature of the beast, ive been around the best undercutters in the indusrty. seen them come and go. eventually they will evaporate to make room for the next litter, but just needed to remind them we've been on to them. good topic by the way.