Clubplanet Nightlife Community

goodbye to my good friend Bruce Wilcox [MEMORIAL INFO FINALIZED]

Guest stryke303

Guest stryke303

Hi all,

It is with great sadness and an extremely heavy heart that I post this. As many of you know, I posted a while back that my friend Bruce Wilcox had been missing for some time. Thanks to cooljunkie, some of Bruce's family was able to track those of us looking for Bruce down, and we were finally able to get a police report filed. I'm very sad to report that Bruce decided to end his life yesterday. Out of respect for Bruce, his family, and friends, I will not go into the details of what transpired. However, I just wanted you all to know. This is an extremely difficult and confusing time, and I wanted to start a thread that those of us who knew and loved Bruce could maybe tell some stories of our experiences with him. Bruce was more than a friend to me. He was a mentor of sorts. When he started the legendary nights at the Edge in Ft. Lauderdale with his best friend and partner Dru, Bruce really brought some amazing nights to South Florida. He took a chance on a young, up and coming producer and DJ and did what most other club managers/club music directors would not do...he booked me to play the main room. I consider this gig to be a major kick start to my career. Bruce and I worked together at Y&T Dance and Spec's on South Beach for a number of years. He is someone I always went to for advice on my career. He later moved on to become a central figure in operations at Grooveman Music. I will miss him everyday. Thank you Bruce for all you did for me. I love you and will never forget you.

I would also like to take this time to let all of the producers/DJs out there know that if you have any kind of problem, there is help...

http://www.grammy.com/musicares/ you are not alone...

Best,

Greg

UPDATED MEMORIAL INFORMATION::::

A memorial gathering honoring of our dear departed friend Bruce Wilcox will be held at Mama Mia's in Hollywood, Fl.

Saturday May 6th 2006

7 PM - til they kick us out.

There will be hourderves and a cash bar

You can check http://www.miagrill.com for information about the location.

Sorry about the short notice. We hope all of you can attend.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest musicalmissionary

Take your time grieving through this one Greg. There's definitely going to be some positive repurcussions to come from the passing of such a good person.

Guest chunsa

i'm sorry greg :(

you were a total trooper last night.

i would have fallen apart if our situations were reversed.

my thoughts are with you and his family.

<3

Guest djmikesharpe

Bruce was a true mentor, to me especially. He is the person responsible for getting me into the Edge and teaching me so much. He introduced me to record shopping Thursdays at Y&T and much more. More than that he was a great person.

He will truly be missed.

R.I.P Bruce!

Mike Sharpe

Guest the engineer

We've indeed lost a great one. I would like to express my deepest condolences on behalf of everyone at FloridaDNB and the ThirdSchool Collective. Everyone in this scene is atleast partially indebted to Bruce for what he started many years ago. Without him, there is a good chance none of us would be here doing what we're doing today--myself included. It was an honor to be able to listen and learn from him, as well as having him play our Tamiami Park parties in '97 where I started earning my stripes.

Greg, if you have any information on any services, please do communicate them to us. Taan and I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure many others would as well.

Jorge

Guest jbit

Alot of memories just flashed before my eyes, record shopping at Y&T, Specs, Grooveman, late nights at the edge in the 90's, listening to Bruce/Mike/Stryke wreck the decks. My first experiences with dance music culture were listening to these guys every week.... those years were in integral part of my life for better or worse.

Always sad to hear when anyone chooses to end their life. My condolances.

Guest Marina22

So sad to hear this, my condolences to the family and all his friends. Greg, Bruce had a great friend in you and I am sure he knew that.

Guest Diabolique

:'( very sad to hear this. my condolences.

yes Thursdays at the Y & T...the good old days. :)

^^He will always be alive in your hearts.^^ <3

Guest Spankmeister

Don't know the specifics...but I can probably guess...

I have had many, many good friends and people I really looked up to pass away far too early in my life...

It never gets any easier, but it makes you remember that our time here is strictly limited...to enjoy our stay on a daily basis...

Greg, I am sorry to hear about this, my condolences to you and his family.

Guest aj2234

Bruce will definetly be missed by many! He was a great guy who was always willing to take the time out to just talk and give his take on things. He was also a wicked dj , who is reponsible for my first experiences in dance music.

R.I.P.

Greg if you need any help with anything , let me know!

Guest pod

Definitely was a cool guy. I didn't know him "back in the day", but I knew him in his Grooveman days, and also he lived above me when I was living off of 71st Street. Always was willing to chat and give you his take on what was up in the world.

Will be missed for sure.

Guest dystopia

Bruce was a good man, I learned alot from him when I worked at Grooveman. I and many of my peers feel greatly indebted to him for being able to get anything done here in South Florida. He's surely to be missed.

Taan

Guest Rama

My deepest condolences to all of Bruce's friends and family. I haven’t seen him in sometime and I'm truly shocked at this news. Bruce was an icon for many people. RIP Bruce.

Sincerely,

Rama Barwick