Clubplanet Nightlife Community

goodbye to my good friend Bruce Wilcox [MEMORIAL INFO FINALIZED]

Guest stryke303

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest james_sheridan

wow. i'm so saddened to hear this news. although i didn't know bruce very well, i did know him back in the days. he did so much in this industry and will forever be remembered down here by everyone who was involved with dance music in all of florida. even though a great many of you probably dont know who bruce was, everyone should be thankful for his tireless contributions to all of us. our love of this music and the scene either directly or indirectly are indebted a great deal to him . bruce you will be missed!

Guest Rose2880

I have never been so sad....

Bruce was also my mentor. It is because of him that I even attempted to begin Djing, being that I was female and 15 years old, he was the only one who didn't look at me as a drugged up candy raver. He took me seriuosly, and he encouraged me to continue and not worry about what others thought. When I worked with him at Spec's, he made me prove myself to him by making me listen to hundreds of records each week, and read all the music reviews in all the magazines, in order to gain his approval to work in the vinyl department. Man, it was such a great honor to work with him.

I remember how proud I was when he would take me along to his gigs. I always walked in carrying his records with my head held high.

He was a walking encyclopedia of music, he knew it all. And if he didn't, he found out about it and read up on it. His mind and talent/ear for music was a gift to us all. He was, and will always be, a legend to me, and south Florida.

<<Bruce, I owe some of the best times of my life to you. If it wasn't for you I would have never dared to do the things I did. I never would have bought a record, or started spinning and I would have never met all the people I met thru you, Bruce. You gave me the self-confidence to put everyone's stereotypes aside and do what I wanted to do. I will miss you dearly and you will always be in my heart.>>

:'(

Guest speedway

This is indeed sad news.

I knew Bruce from the inaugural years (early 90s) of Simon's in Gainesville. Bruce was a big part of making the Florida dance music scene happen and really had a kind heart.

Bruce also could dj much better than I think alot of people realized and like someone mentioned he had a very keen ear for music. Somewhere I still have a cassette tape titled "Bruce Wilcox #29" which was a live mix of a set of his from Simon's that I listened to a few hundred times one summer on a backpacking trip to Europe.

Ironically, I lost touch with Bruce after he moved to Miami.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

Guest Jasp182

This is really a tragedy. It seems like there was a whole generation of us that would say the same thing about Bruce...we all looked up to him, we all listened to every word he said, and we ALL could really attribute him to a lot of the better things we did with our lives. He touched a lot of people through the music industry and he'll be remembered by a whole lot of people for that reason, but I'm pretty sure anyone who was around him enough will mostly remember him for being the guy who was always there to help you see the bigger picture and never even blinked at an opportunity to help you out or give you advice. That, and the fact that he could answer just about ANY question you could even dream up on the subject of music or sports.

I worked with him for about 6 years in the record stores, and I will be the first to say that everything I did with my life during those 6 years had more of a chance for success because I was hanging around him. His advice will last me a lifetime. Bruce Wilcox is the man...always will be.

Guest obby

They just called me to give me that bad news. It breaks my heart. Bruce always treated me (and everyone else) with great respect and he deserves that same in return. Bruce along with Cliff Tangredi were big inspirations to me the start of my prog years and like others have already mentioned he was always willing to take the time out to talk and give his take on things. He was simply a great great person with a great great heart.

My condolences to his family as I know they must be going through a lot now. if there is anything that I/we can do to help comfort them just ask.

RIP Bruce. We shall see each other again sometime my friend.

:(

Guest Miss_Digital

:'( very sad to hear this. my condolences.

yes Thursdays at the Y & T...the good old days. :)

^^He will always be alive in your hearts.^^ <3

i remember that store :(

RIP Bruce :'(

Guest miamitrancedj

Greg, I was very upset to hear the news. I am very sorry for your loss. I never met Bruce, but it seems to me that he influenced and affected so many peoples lives. I am sorry. My prayers are with you and his family.

Mark.

Guest lightgirl

Oh Greg... I can't believe it... You were such a good friend to him. This is such a sad day...

Please e-mail me on my gmail and tell me what happened...

I've been friends with Bruce since 1993. It was the Edge, and my first real club experience. As my friends and I became more club kids and less party animals, we met more and more Edge regulars and were absorbed into the family. Bruce and Dru were the best duo to learn from. Bruce was a master of music, and Dru - a magician on the lights. I don't even know how many nights became mornings, and then turned into after-parties at their "rave house!" Such good times. I remember Bruce had a cat in those days who liked her lower back to be slapped, not petted. Only Bruce would have a masochistic cat!

As the years went on, and the Edge became no more, the family split its separate ways. Bruce was still to be found at Y & T for a while, and then we lost touch until Grooveman started. It was so great to see him just across the street from where I was working at the time - Shadow Lounge - I spent many moments running across the street to hang out. I'd give him a big bear hug every time, and immediately break out in an allergic attack because of his damn cats. But it was worth it!

I've lost touch with many friends from the FL scene because I moved to NYC 4 years ago. But the locals and Bruce's friends have kept me in the loop as to the happenings in FL; good and bad.

My heart goes out to Bruce's family. My love goes out to his friends who loved him so much. Many of my happiest memories from 1993 - 2001 involve Bruce, and I will never let him go far from my heart.

Love to all,

Allegra

Guest arefresh

I'd first heard that his disappearance was back in November but figured he just wanted to be "gone" for a while or maybe had tax problems but didn't think he actually did the deed.

Suicide is a very weak & selfish way out. There are so many thoughts & emotions that go through one's head after hearing of someone ending their life due to not being able to handle the daily pressures. At first shocked , sad but then ANGRY!!!!! that someone was so selfish to not think of others that loved them or had a place for them in their hearts by playing God on their own lives. You have no right to take your own life ! : /

(remember this if you are even contemplating)

The world might not mean much to you at times but there is always someone you mean the world to.

I had great respect for what Bruce created & his idea's for what should or should'nt be done in the direction of music. When I first starting getting into the underground scene "93" I used to go to "The Edge" as a club kid & wait for the alternative music to end @ 2 so I could listen to this "techno music" he was spinning. Bruce had just moved down to Ft. Lauderdale from Gainesville where he was a resident at Simon's. There weren't many at the club at the time of the night but those who were were TRULY there for the music & enjoyed it.

Slowly but surely his "techno music" fan club grew to the 100's & for the big parties "1000's" which was unheard of for that style of music at that time where "alternate / grunge" was the majority. I have a lot of great memories form that time in my life, Bruce was very smart & determined to educate the masses on the different sounds which was ALL called "House" music at the time. There were no Breaks, Trance , House or Drum & Bass nights, music was all one & everyone was open minded to all. What the "Lollipop Guild" (Bruce , Dru & Jason) created was like no other. Always a "chill out" area to ease your mind down with some Ambient or Downtempo music.

As I frequented The Edge more often I built a relationship with Bruce, I also lived on South Beach & would ride my bike to Y&T daily to try & find more of this "new music" or rack his brain on what he's been spinning that past weekend.

As the nights grew those that were religiously going to the club 2,3 even "4" times a week (remember "Deep" Tuesday's?) all became friends like a family. There were no tensions or ego's interfering, everyone was happy to be there & always looked forward to the next night.

My first club residancy was at "The Edge". I used to play my mixes out in the parking lot from my car soundsystem & got a little following so Bruce & Dru decided to sign me up. I brought my mobile DJ equiptment from my house & started spinning on the patio, too me at the time it was a dream come true & cherish that opportinity still to this day.

It is sad that in a lot of cases people aren't recognized for their accomplishments until AFTER they are gone (perfect example), why not celebrate & appreciate them more NOW not after they are gone & let this be another reminder of how short life can really be (there is no gaurantee we will see a tomorrow).

Take these thoughts to reconcile with friends or family members you haven't spoken to in a while or old friends that come into your thoughts from time to time that have made a difference in your life. Their are ALWAYS other alternatives & there is ALWAYS a light at the end of every tunnel. Life is a gift we are fortunate to have & it is ALL what you make it, up to you (really).

"All Things Pass Into The Night" - Q Lazzarus

http://www.recycled-vinyl.com/freshsfolder/QLaz.mp3

There were some things I would have liked to say to Bruce before he left us but I'm sure one way or another he knows my thoughts. I plan on doing a tribute mix towards Bruce. All the tunes he used to spin that made a difference in my life.

Thanks for all the great memories, thoughts & influences that have made me the person I am today,

R

"I Love you as you are,

as you seek to find your own special way

to relate to the world,

or the way you feel that is right for you.

It is important that you are the person

you want to be

and not someone that I or others

think you should be."

- Unknown

Guest obby

There were some things I would have liked to say to Bruce before he left us but I'm sure one way or another he knows my thoughts. I plan on doing a tribute mix towards Bruce. All the tunes he used to spin that made a difference in my life.

Thanks for all the great memories, thoughts & influences that have made me the person I am today,

R

"I Love you as you are,

as you seek to find your own special way

to relate to the world,

or the way you feel that is right for you.

It is important that you are the person

you want to be

and not someone that I or others

think you should be."

- Unknown

I was thinking the same Rich. Def a great idea. There are so many vinyl's which specifically remind me of him considering he was the one to land them for me.

Keep me posted when done.

Guest swank

Greg...my condolances to all friends and family on this shocking news. I did not know Bruce but knew of him. He has seemed to have left an impression on alot of people.

Guest Wendel

THIS IS INDEED A VERY SAD DAY IN THE MUSIC WORLD. BRUCED HELPED SHAPE WHAT ALOT OF US NOW KNOW AS "THE SCENE" WITHOUT HIM NONE OF THE GREAT MUSIC WE NOW HEAR BEING IN THE CLUBS, WOULD PROBLEBLY NOT BE PLAYED. HE IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I BECAME A DJ...

YOU WILL BE INDEED SADLEY MISSED

R.I.P

WENDEL

Guest djRoland

Greg this is not the news i wanted to hear. Im very sorry for you and for those close to Bruce. I am definitely gonna miss him. Bruce was a good friend to me for 15yrs and I wish I could have spoken to him once more.

Roland

Guest austinleeds

very sad to hear the news :( .. Bruce was always a great guy .. i will always cherish the memory of driving to specs and buying great new tunes from him... he had a deep love for music and that was/is an inspiration to us all .... ...

Austin

Guest gspencer

I met Bruce on his first night at the Edge,i said hows it going and he said just trying to have some fun.From then on there was a Edge community,The Lollypop Guild.Bruce,Dru and Jason,they were responsible for presenting Union Jack,Paul Van Dyk,Havanna and tons more to south Fl.Rather than talk about myself and my "djing and producing career" its about Bruce and what he did for south Florida.as soon as that tune would echo "preasure" by Sunscreem you just new it was the start of another afterhours session where you would be educated by Bruce,well thats what it said on the flyer,and hand on heart-he played some shit music sometimes but on the flip side he would play some magical sets.a select few would be there from 4am till 12 midday,

Just after talking to someone that used to Dj with him talking about Bruce could have made so much more of his djing skills after the Edge,its puzzling how he didnt.there are lots of things that happend at the Edge which still bring a smile to my face.And Bruce used to make fun of me all the time and look at me as if i was a nutter.My sister and i have a party and invited Bruce Dru and Jason-i spiked the fruit punch with a shit-load of LSD we sat and watch Bruce Talk to himself,was a laugh and a half. There the times i remember,the good times where we were all laughing and joking,seems the older we get the less we laugh and joke and i think Bruce knew that more than any of us.someone so dedicated to dance music playing from 10pm thru till 12 midday,He took Fort Lauderdale somewhere miami beach could never catch up to. Even to this day i hevent experienced feelings like the ones in them 4 walls of the Edge,Thanks to Brucie,R.I.P

When the time comes,could someone let me know about the funeral,thanks,Graham Spencer

Guest stryke303

thank you all for the kind words. keep the memories and good stories coming. it's been a very surreal couple of days. i've been reading the thread, and some of the stories really bring a smile to my face. thank you guys much. thank you for the emails, PMs, phone calls, etc... i'll be doing my best to get back to all of you. this news has been devestating, in addition to some of the other things that have happened in my life these past few months. so, thank you. and again, please keep the stories and memories coming. i'm coming home on sunday and we'll be finalizing service arrangements in the next few days. i'll be sure to post the details.

best,

greg

Guest gspencer

very sad to hear the news :( .. Bruce was always a great guy .. i will always cherish the memory of driving to specs and buying great new tunes from him... he had a deep love for music and that was/is an inspiration to us all .... ...

Austin

just got off the phone with you friend TJ,hes right now waiting for a bus to MIA to fly to Philly

Guest Justin George

Bruce was a good friend of mine. I looked up to Bruce back in the day. He will be missed. I no longer live in Miami, when I heard the news I was crushed. Bruce you will be missed.

Greg thank you for the post and my prayers go out to you and all of his close friends.

Guest drewbongiorno

I'm really not ready to speak about this openly... but I am so blown away by the love, warmth, and fond memories I am reading in this thread.

I thank you all for the kind words and hope that the memories keep coming. They are the fruit of good feeling and as tragic as this all has been; reading the stories you all have posted have really helped "pull me out" from a very dark place.

I love you Bruce! You will always be my best friend, my brother, my number #1 no matter where you choose to “live".

~Drew Bongiorno