Clubplanet Nightlife Community

goodbye to my good friend Bruce Wilcox [MEMORIAL INFO FINALIZED]

Guest stryke303

Guest lightgirl

It's been a really emotional weekend, but this thread has really helped a lot of people fill a bit of the hole in their hearts.

Much love to all those who have come together and support each other in this way.

It's what the scene was all about that Bruce and so many others worked so hard to build.

Thanks, you guys... The community and the love lives on...

x - - Allegra the Lightgirl

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JoeBudious

Bruce, Its me Joe Budious. We've had a few talks at the shop and you were always, always cool. I never knew about your past, just from the record shop. Props bro!! Your life has impacted so many people in a positive way.

I hope you found your peace.

My condolences to the Wilcox Family and friends.

Guest Jim Pony

I was really upset whan I heard this sad news. Bruce was probably one of the first people who got me interested in DJing and house music. I used to hear him back in 1990 playing industrial at The Rev in Gainesville and regularly during his residency at Simon's. He was always extremely cordial and genuine. We were never close friends, but everytime I'd run into him, whether it had been a few months or a few years, he always remembered me and remembered my name. A truly great guy who will be dearly missed. Thank you for your kindness and support my man!

-Jim Ramer

Guest the engineer

This weekend has certainly been a tough one. Being out in Ft. Lauderdale by The Edge on Friday was difficult. The building caught my eye in the distance, and I just froze--everything was eclipsed for a moment. I've been choked up all weekend just at the thoughts, and furthermore by reading everything on here. I held a moment of silence for him on my radio show on Friday afternoon.

I still can see Bruce holding a stack of papers, pencil in his ear, checking in records on Wednesdays at Grooveman--or even at Spec's and Y&T, pre-Grooveman. I can still hear him talking to me about breakbeat hardcore, 2 Bad Mice, Acen, and Manix. I can still hear him telling me about the progression that led to the eventual development of jungle music. Every conversation I had with him definitely shaped what I do and how I do it today. He always had a great insight on everything, and I was always willing to listen.

Everyone I've spoken to this weekend, from those who worked with him, to those who just merely recognized the name from history, are shocked and stunned by the whole thing. It's a difficult one to swallow and will be for a while.

I'm working on trying to do a benefit event somehow, or start a donation fund at the next event we play/have. Bruce touched a lot of people, djs and clubgoers alike. I was blessed to be able to interact with him when I was figuring everything out.

Certainly missed, never forgotten.

RIP Bruce.

Jorge, the Engineer.

Guest Clubhopper11

Although I never went to the Edge during its heyday, my cousins did and, in turn, got me into the whole scene. I was so influenced by it that I even began to write articles and do interviews through various media: Groove Magazine, D'Vox, Clubhoppers.net, etc.

I knew him in passing like saying a quick hello and although I didn't really know him personally, I am saddened by this tragic loss. I have to give him props for he, indirectly, and in many ways, influenced my life as far as music and my writings were concerned.

From my cousins and I, we hope he has finally found peace in the Kingdom of Heaven.

RIP Bruce

Guest SeanQ6

i was deeply saddened to hear the news of Bruce's passing. i met him many years ago in Gainesville at a place called MFP and knew him since then from the general Florida / South Florida scene. i would always stop in to see if he was working whenever I would come to Miami, at any of the record stores he worked at.

He was always a very pleasant person to chat with and he had a very positive influence on many people that i am close with today. I will remember him fondly.

If the power of positive thinking helps in any way, even after death, then Bruce is the recipient of all of mine.

-Sean Cusick

Guest Diabolique

i was deeply saddened to hear the news of Bruce's passing. i met him many years ago in Gainesville at a place called MFP and knew him since then from the general Florida / South Florida scene. i would always stop in to see if he was working whenever I would come to Miami, at any of the record stores he worked at.

He was always a very pleasant person to chat with and he had a very positive influence on many people that i am close with today. I will remember him fondly.

If the power of positive thinking helps in any way, even after death, then Bruce is the recipient of all of mine.

-Sean Cusick

:o I had no idea just how many ppl he knew...

Guest pod

Bruce was very well-connected. If he chose to get back in the industry as a DJ when he was alive, he could have had no problem getting off the ground.

Guest medway

Sad news indeed. I knew Bruce from when I worked at the Edge around 93-94. As everyone has already said he seemed like a great guy, no attitude just a positive spirit. My condolensces to his family and friends...

Guest arefresh

It's nice to see so many people jumping on this thread to pay respects, old friends & new. Its a shame it takes a tragedy like this to bring us all back togehter : (

I know that funeral services arent cheap so I was thinking that maybe someone could help organize a memorial event towards Bruce. All DJs that worked the scene during that era , playinig music from that time. All proceeds would go towards the cause & it would be a great way to show more recognition towards his accomplishments & awareness for those in need of help.

Maybe somoene could do a short documentery on it as well with interviews (like Technobabble, sort of) or even write a short bio about the scene back then with old photo's / flyer scans we could round up. I know I'd love to have something like this to look back on & since were all still here, we have all the right resources & knowledge to build it.

Either way, count me in, I'd love to spin the event or anything else I could do to contribute,

R

Guest DayDREAMn

I spoke to Greg and Drew about such an event this evening. We will be organizing such an event at a later date in the proper fashion and will include Djs that actually played at the edge. At the moment we are trying to organize a memorial in Fort Lauderdale. Somewhere for those interested in paying respects to gather in person and chat, eat and drink. We will try to keep everyone posted as we work out the details. The benefit event will come later. Our thoughts and efforts right now are focuses on the memorial. Thank you EVERYONE for your respects and support.

Guest joec

wow. i am truly at a loss for words. so many nice memories posted on here, so hard to digest that this has happened. i dont even know where to begin.

???

bruce was one of the main reasons why i am what i am today. bruce taught me the ins and outs of the dance music business from the day i met him in 1990. many many hours were spent with the two of us discussing music when i lived in gainesville. needless to say i was honored to be made a resident dj along side of him at simons. we had so many fun nights there together, he always knew how to properly rock a dancefloor.

i remember... i used to round up a carload of people and drive bruce to a bunch of his out of town gigs in the early 90's - we would all pile into my car, and i would blast the music cruising down i-75 and i remember bruce always asking me to turn it down to "save his ears" for his set later that night.

i cant even begin to explain how hard this is for me, i really looked up to bruce - he taught me a lot as a dj and i had the utmost respect for the guy. suicide is very confusing - while to some it may seem like the easy way out, it only opens a million other doors that will never be able to be closed. i can only hope that if there is anyone out there even remotely considering this option.... PLEASE DONT!!!!!!!!

bruce, wherever you are, we miss you. thank you for the memories that will stay with me til the end of time.

:(

RIP.

Guest Dj Chuckie

very sad to hear the bad news. From myself Charles Ibanez (chuckie) and Danny Bled, condolensces to his family and friends...

He was one that showed me how it shold be done. Taking time out to explain and answer questions back in the Marsbar days...

I was lucky to be able to call Bruce my friend and play with hime in many more clubs..

A toast for a man who is in a much better place, looking down from the decks in heaven

Guest arefresh

2 thoughts that make me laugh to this day when I think of Bruce.

1) On our MANY "trips" to Disney after an Edge party, 1 time I believe we had about "14" people go, several got lost but all caught back up at the end. Bruce was always humorous when at a relaxed state, humble like a little kid too : ) Remember that time he lost his walet @ the hotel? & I was like "was it red?" (cause he said it was) & he said "yeah, did you find it?" & after getting him going for a minute with his hopes up said "haven't seen it". L.O.L.

2) I'll never forget pulling up to the Lauderdale house & seeing lizard carcuses littered all over the yard from the cats catching them, they were good hunters : )

Guest mattchilders

....I did not know Bruce personally,but from my experiences @ Simon`s and Friends that knew him he was an unbelievable person. I remember my friend Larry Banks telling me how Bruce was really helping him jumpstart his djing with hooking him up with the latest hot track or promo. My good friend from jax that moved down to south florida for a couple of years when Bruce was @ Y & T. echoed the same nice things.... :( Bruce was a true pioneer and will be missed greatly!....my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. I have been on the other side of this with my family and friend. :'( R.I.P. Bruce Wilcox

Guest phrankadelic

wow...just came across this right now. seems like everyone has a story or memory of bruce to share. many a good time was had with him.

my deepest condolences to both his family and friends.

Guest Rose2880

...I remember how he used to play Tosca's Fuck Dub Remixes CD at Spec's when we worked together just because it was the only CD we could both agree on that had a good balance of D 'n B, trip hop and techno (God forbid I listen to anything but D 'n B back then!)...I've been listening to that CD since I heard about this tragedy...

...I also remember, when I was leaving to New York, Bruce told me, "...Remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side..."

<<Well, wherever you are, Bruce, I hope the grass is indeed greener...>>

Guest JustDade

Bruce's influence wasn't limited to the local Djs. When Shadow Lounge was bringing in import talent every weekend there was a constant stream of the world's biggest DJs heading to Grooveman to hear what Bruce had to offer. Usually I would pick them up at the airport and they would say, "Can we stop at Grooveman before we head to the hotel? I called Bruce and he pulled some vinyl for me." And it never was a waste of time.....no matter who they were, Bruce always knew better than they did what they were looking for.

Guest lightgirl

::)

Even in the presence of the best the scene had to offer, Bruce was a master...

Always knowing what people'd like before they knew it. I smile to myself thinking about it...

Guest SFP Records

I spent many afternoon with bruce at Y&T and many nights when he was at Specs. It took me a while to convince him to let me buy the couple of hot promos he was always hidding behind the desk but I finally got his confidence and his musical friendship. He was then one of the DJs supporting our labels, even if often it wasn't up to his taste. I haven't seen him the past 3-4 years and seing him gone is hard to believe...

Keep some of these promos upstairs, we'll be coming one these days.

Marc

Guest vaughan

Bruce was an amazing presence and touched so many lives in EVERY way. I too met him back during the Ole Edge days, during which time I got to truly know the man behind the man! Him and Dru treated me like a brother and took me under their wing. And as Rich said, the sad part is that it took this unfortunate event for me to recognize that.

His sarcasm inspired me and his big smile was infectious!

May he have safe passage onto his next life.

You will be missed Mr. Wilcox... but NEVER forgotten!

flower-735790.JPG

Guest stryke303

Hi guys,

We are in the process of getting all the arrangements for Bruce's memorial and services in order. We have been gotten so many emails and calls, that it's a bit overwheliming. I'd like to get a better idea of how many people we can expect at his memorial. Please do me a favour and just respond to this thread if you plan to attend, and with how many. I know we haven't announced a date yet, but we will soon. We will be answering all the emails, PMs, and phone calls we've been getting as soon as we can.

Thank you,

Greg

Guest mtarsia

I had the fortune of meeting Bruce and the crew through Jaysen Moore. Jaysen introduced me to Bruce while I was doing graphics with Jaysen... When I heard what happened to Bruce my mind did like a 360. It was like everything from the early 90’s came to surface all over again. I was grateful to have spent some fun times with Bruce. His respect for people, music and way of life back then was so “eye openingâ€

I shaded away from everyone and choose to party a little to much while partying I had a near death experience that made me change my whole way of life. It is too bad that Bruce could not have seen how many people out here care about him before he passed, we all could have helped solve his issue together!

Since all the clubs are not the same these days. Why don't we through a Park Party---Synder Park is still around :)

We can all connect-reflect and chat on our new found lives...