Clubplanet Nightlife Community

goodbye to my good friend Bruce Wilcox [MEMORIAL INFO FINALIZED]

Guest stryke303

Guest gspencer

i was just going through some tunes,"Edge" anthem tunes, maybe on sunday we shall do something @ the womb in rememberance to Bruce. thewomb.com 4pm-6pm sunday

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

I wasn't there for the "back in the day" days of the Edge. I got here in 1997 under the pretense of getting an education in pointing motion picture cameras at people. Later on I slowed down 24 frames per second to 3 frames per hour.

Anyhow, as I went out into the Miami clubland, I heard and heard of people like Stryke, Drew, Bruce, Mike, Oscar, etc, in the same breath as people like PvD, John Digweed, Sasha, and so forth...as in, well if you like these international DJs you're blowing $30 on, check out these guys who produce and DJ the music you're hearing. Through that I met the locals I listed above, even if they weren't actively holding residencies anymore.

Through various circumstances, I ended up living in the same apartment complex as Bruce and some other people of note in the local dance scene. Bruce and I never really chatted about clubland other than maybe commenting on a nice track that someone we knew produced, but he always had time to discuss whatever with me at the bus stop on 71st Street near Katana. Whether it be world politics, condo developers trashing our neighborhood, shitty public transit, or even "hey, here comes Patrick, he'll give you a lift to South Beach..."

Proof positive though that he was a real cool guy, and didn't differentiate between "old school" and some guy with a camera who lived in the same building.

The last few days, I've talked to a lot of you all on the local scene, and it's good to see that even though Bruce didn't DJ much anymore, he was and is still held in high regard.

Again, he will be missed.

Guest myles hie

A major loss to EDM in So Fla. Like the others that posted, Bruce was a major influence on me. When i was a jitterbug, just getting into things, Bruce was always cool and nice and would answer any question i had. I thought it was even cooler that the guy i was buying records from was also playing at the clubs i was going to. Many a night/morning at the Edge getting down to Bruce's music selection. He was one of the first DJ's that made me say "Damn, thats cool as fuck i want to do that" I hope he finds the peace that he was looking for. Bruce and the Lolipop guild was my introduction to this scene and it's culture and even though things have changed over the years i will always cherish and appreciate the experiances that i had with Bruce and the party people at 200 W Broward Blvd.

Guest cydneyalexis

I was Bruce's friend in Gainesville, and we were quite close then. There are a lot of Gainesville people who would want to know about this. Has there been a funeral? Was Bruce in contact with his family again? Please e-mail me at cydneyalexis@gmail.com with any info that you have.

Thank you,

Cydney Alexis

Guest NicoleC

I've been reading all the posts over the last few days, and it breaks my heart each time. :'( I've been lurking because up until now every time I would start to write something, words would escape me. I can't believe it's been over 10 years since I met Bruce and Drew and later, who would become one of my oldest and dearest friends, Greg at MarsBar in Kendall when they were attempting to bring a piece of the scene there on Tuesday nights. (You see what happens when you stick out your tongue Drew?) It was nice to get a taste of them without having to haul all the way up the Edge. (Although I spent my share of nights and days there too!!!) I remember nights of music and out-there conversation with both Bruce and Greg and helping Drew flier cars in the parking lot. And while I believe everyone has a right to their opinion, I don't know if I agree with a previous post that states that Bruce’s suicide was a weak and selfish act. None of us who are still here can even try to understand what he may have gone through or why he chose to leave us and this crazy world we live in. I am not here to condone or condemn Bruce's choices, but it just happened to catch my eye today that writer Albert Camus felt that suicide is a better option than simply rebelling against the absurdity of life. I truly don't know what I think about or where I stand on all of this, and I am sure, like many of us who knew and loved Bruce, I will be left with a lot of questions unanswered. What I do know is that the Bruce I knew was a good person who touched my life and many others with his words and his music. I pray he has found the peace he was so obviously looking for.

This flier has been on the wall in my old room at my parents house since 1995!

dbg.jpg

Guest Justin Johnson

Ooooooh man! This is very sad news!!! I met Bruce when I was working for Hardware Distribution (along with Wendel and Phatdak). Great guy. :'(

Guest djdon_L

His breaks was the the start of my journey into this style of muisc I love.

From Tuning in every week to 90.5 WVUM back when I was 12-13 y/o to hear his sets to sneeking out late night and hitchin rides with older friends to climb up and sneek in the secret enterance at the EDGE to hear him rockit!

You are the reason Ima Dj today!

RESPECT AND LOVE FROM THE ELITE SQUAD!

i_elitegif2.gif

Guest skywalker01

:o

didn't know bruce but he was obviously well respected by the comments posted. also a lot of people coming out of the woodwork to post- a testament to him. always sad to hear that someone got to a point in their life when they didn't feel they could go on. it sounds so ridiculously simple but i always think people that end their lives would reconsider if they only realized how much they mean to their friends and family. deepest condolences to those that knew and loved him.

Guest gspencer

By the way Greg,Drew or anyone thats involved with the Funeral let me know if i can help in any way or with any donations for the cost of the funeral are needed i can spare something.and ive just now finished putting a set together of some of the tunes Bruce always played at the Edge for tomorrows show on thewomb.com (womb tv) sunday 4pm - 6pm.Also Mark Ward has an idea you may want to talk to him about.

Graham

Guest Willie Morales

We have definitely lost a great friend... Bruce you have impacted, inspired and helped so many over the years you will be missed... rest in peace brother...

Guest drewbongiorno

does anyone know of any services for Bruce

i have people asking me that knew Bruce.

Thanks

Graham

I am planning services for Bruce. Once they are finalized I will publicly post them here.

~Drew

Guest three slurridge

this is the most heartbreaking news i've heard in a long time.

bruce left a large legacy behind at Simons club in the early years. his efforts in south florida along with jason and drew as The Lollipop Guild" brought to life the golden era of that space that was the south florida Edge Club. R Fresh really touched on it for me in his post. i remember my first party there....one of the first ....during WMC 93 and 200 people being there......and it just grew and grew to a couple thousand every week. bruce's vision and belief was so strong that there was never a question when i would come and completely do my own thing musically down there month after month. i've posted about that residency at length on our Hallucination board before and how much it meant to me....i owed it all to bruce and his crew.......those are easily some of the most memorable days of my life. the risks they were willing to take with the parties we planned --- richie, laurent etc etc --- opened a lot of doors to what other clubs in florida were trying to do. i could go on forever about it. bruce always made his home our home on those visits and that made it all the more special.

after the Edge days passed and he began to work in the retail and management end of the record industry down on the beach. we spoke less and less over the years. someone mentioned in passing during wmc that bruce had 'disappeared' and for a brief moment i thought the worst, but because i tend to think i worry too much. bruce was a moody guy, but i never thought to an end....bruce was colorful and thoughtful. i thought maybe he just did something like run off to hawaii. to see this here today is very sad. i have a lot of mixed emotions.

i wont pretend to know what plagued him, but perchance there is another place ---- i hope hes found peace.

all the best to you jason, dru, stryke .......and all of you .......

three

Guest three slurridge

this from Peter Wohelski who in the Edge years was head of A&R at astrelwerks and helped organize and play at mornings on the patio with mixmaster morris and spacetime continuum with the boys from the Guild

"Bruce should be remembered as a pioneer, pushing the envelope in South Florida at a time where all the clubs down there were not open-minded to new, forward-thinking dance music.

Like Three, I too, remember the late-night parties at The Edge in Ft. Lauderdale with great fondness. Bruce and the Lollipop Guild were one of the first promoters (if not the first) to really spotlight what we were on to in Tampa and giving us a platform to do our thing with no compromise. Giving credit where credit is due, in retrospect, what those guys were doing not only set the pace for the scene down there, but set a standard for the rest of the Florida scene that (dare I say) had a significant influence on the development of the genre and the culture in America.

So much so that after I left Tampa for New York to run Astralwerks in 1995, there was no question in my mind where we would do the label's WMC Showcase that year. Not down in Miami on the beach, but out on the terrace, late night in Ft. Lauderdale with Bruce and the crew.

By the end of that year, 'electronica' was poised to be the 'next big thing' and the Florida scene's role in that was undeniable.

Later, after The Edge closed and Bruce moved more permanently into the retail side of the business and the demands of my position required my focus elsewhere, we didn't talk quite as often, but I always tried to stop into the store during Winter Music Conference to say hello and pay my respects.

I don't know what twists and turns Bruce's life had taken in recent years or what demons he had hanging over his head. Sadly, whatever they were, they obviously got the best of him.

To paraphrase what R-Fresh said, grab who's close to you tonight, give them a hug, tell them you love them, appreciate every day you have with them, and say a prayer for our brother Bruce.

Thanks for everything, man. The real pioneers are never given the credit, respect or recognition that they're due. Vaya con dios. "

Guest SusanNYC

Wow. This is heartbreaking to hear. I too was surprised to hear the rumors during WMC and since then hoped for the best.

My memories of Bruce Wilcox go back to the early 90's when I was going to Simons in Gainesville and on holiday breaks would head back down to S. Florida where my parents lived. During my interactions with him in his Edge days and onwards to his career at Specs, Bruce was always a kind and gentle soul and every time we saw each other his warmth and compassion and genuine interest in what was going on in my life always touched me. He was a pioneer in Florida's scene who at all times kept his feet firmly grounded and had the heart of a giant.

RIP Bruce Wilcox. You will be dearly missed.

-- Susan C.

Edited by SusanNYC

Guest DayDREAMn

There has not been a more memorable time in my life than the years I spent in the house on 18th in downtown Fort Lauderdale with Bruce and Drew. The Edge late night was our pain and passion. There are obviously a lot of you here that were along for the ride. Some of which were part of a great family then. I miss those days and hope that the memories of those good times will live on forever in Bruce's name. I pray that Bruce finds rest in a better place. This thread has me all choked up.

DayDREAMn

Guest davidalexander

BW had an amazing impact on so many djs and clubbers...may he rest in peace.

Always looked forward to my 40min drive to the Edge...usually get there around 2 or so, just in time for bruce to get on and switch the music from alt to "techno"....couple of times i remember him starting off with a 2unlimted track, as an inside joke i believe....i would hang out by the dj booth, to watch his work his majic on the crowd below..it was such an inspiration for me to be a better dj...sooo many tracks I would hear first at the edge,...never forget the first time I heard avh's witch doctor, the music seemed so fresh and new back them.....he will be missed.