Clubplanet Nightlife Community

goodbye to my good friend Bruce Wilcox [MEMORIAL INFO FINALIZED]

Guest stryke303

Guest gspencer

Jason,Ken Coleman and i were looking at a couple of places tonight for the memorial.hopefully it should be posted tomorrow.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest skywalker01

Rachel finished her work on Earth and left the stage in a manner that leaves those of us left behind with a cry of agony in our hearts, as the fragile thread of our faith is dealt with so violently. Is anyone strong enough to stay conscious through such teaching as you are receiving? Probably very few. And even they would only have a whisper of equanimity and peace amidst the screaming trumpets of their rage, grief, horror, and desolation.

I can’t assuage your pain with any words, nor should I, for your pain is Rachel’s legacy to you. Not that she or I would inflict such pain by choice, but there it is. And it must burn its purifying way to completion. For something in you dies when you bear the unbearable, and it is only in that dark night of the soul that you are prepared to see as God sees, and to love as God loves.

Now is the time to let your grief find expression – no false strength. Now is the time to sit quietly and speak to Rachel, thank her for being with you these few years, and encourage her to go on with whatever her work is, knowing that you will grow in compassion and wisdom from this experience. In my heart, I know that you and she will meet again and again, and recognize the many ways in which you have known each other. And when you meet you will know, in a flash, what now it is not given to you to know: why this had to be the way it was.

Our rational minds can never understand what has happened, but our hearts – if we keep them open to God – will find their own intuitive way. Rachel came through you to do her work on Earth, which includes her manner of death. Now her soul is free, and the love that you can share with her is invulnerable to the winds of changing time and space. In that deep love, include me.

some beautiful reading. thanks noel, for the excerpt

Guest seandrake

this is truly sad. What a great guy Bruce was.

I really don't think anyone could have a bad thing to say about him as he had no bad bones. He will be truly missed.

RIP

Sean

Guest stryke303

hi all,

just wanted to let you know that a fund has been setup to help with Bruce's memorial arrangements through paypal: www.paypal.com. the email address to enter if you'd like to donate something is thebrucefund@yahoo.com. this is not mandatory or anything.l we've been getting tons of wonderful emails and phonecalls from a lot of you asking if we need help financially to cover these expenses.

thanks,

greg

Guest pod

For convenience and to make this a repository for all the info and good things we've been saying about Bruce, I've merged everything into here.

Guest DayDREAMn

*****MEMORIAL INFO*****

Hey guys and gals! It looks like we have found a space for a memorial gathering in Bruce's name. Mama Mai's in Hollywood has been gracious enough to offer us their private room and lounge for this event. We are still trying to co-ordinate a date around May 6th. You can check http://www.miagrill.com for information about the location.

Drew and many others will be attending from out of town so we are trying to make this close to the Sea Committal of Bruce's ashes. We will have a solid date and time within a few days.

The funeral and memorial are getting expensive. Anyone that wishes to make donates to help with expenses can send money via Paypal to the following email address;

thebrucefund@yahoo.com

The more money we get in donations the better we can make Bruce’s ceremony. This is a commercial Paypal account and does accept credit cards. If donations exceed the cost of the arrangements then we will either send the remainder to charity or use it for the "Edge Reunion Party" to pay for necessities.

“The Edge Reunion Partyâ€

It seems that a lot of people would like to see a real “The Edge Reunion Party†as a benefit in Bruce’s name. Once the memorial and funeral services have been address we will be working on such an event.

So far, Drew, Stryke and I agree that it should be held at the old “EDGE†space with only original “EDGE†Dj’s and that the proceeds should probably go to “Music Cares†the Grammy organization that offered unconditionally to pay for 100% of Bruce’s health and other needs if he were found. They are a great organization. You can check them out at http://www.grammy.com/musicares/ . You can also make donations in Bruce’s name through their website.

Thank you ALL for your Help, Support, and kind words. There are so many GREAT memories here. Please pass this info along. Look forward to seeing you all again.

Sincerely,

Jaysen Moore

DayDREAMn

PS. If anyone has pictures of Bruce please mail me. I would like to put together a slide show for use at Bruce's memorial gathering. jaysen@designmajik.com

Thank you!

Guest lloydalvarez

I just heard the news this morning and spent most of it reading these posts and remembering the old days..

I met Bruce back in Gainesville when he was the manager at Vamp, the clothing/record store that Simon owned before opening Simon's. Bruce noticed what kind of records i was buying and invited me to be an original member of this private club he was going to be opening callled "Simon's" Needless to say that little event shaped the direction of my life in many ways.. I then became good friends with Bruce as my life coincidentally moved from Gainesville to Ft. Lauderdale and then to South Beach..

As many have already said.. he was almost like a big brother to me and influenced me musically and otherwise in ways i am only now beginning to understand..

Since moving away from South Beach, I too would make a point to stop in to whatever record store he was working in every time i came back to Miami to say hi and catch up.. I'm happy to say that the last time i saw him at Grooveman we actually spoke for longer than usual as it had been sometime since we'd seen each other and it was a great conversation, as they always were, but this one was more in depth than usual and i am very greatful for this now..

Rest in Peace Bruce!

-Lloyd Alvarez

Guest mcmike

Music is the most important thing in my life, thus Bruce played a major role in my life and his impression on me will last a lifetime. Bruce was the 1st person to spin me a house tune (1st time I stepped into Simon's in '91 - he played "Rhythm Is A Mystery" by K-Klass). He's also the 1st guy to offer to teach me how to DJ & he's the one that gave me my 1st Simon's membership card. Bruce stayed at my house every weekend when he left Simon's to start The Edge in Jacksonville.

Please see the post right after this one about the date change of the memorial in NYC (5/28 instead of 5/29)

I'm throwing the Simon's reunion party (NYC - 5/28) and will be trying to put together another memorial for Monday 5/29 at dusk in Central Park seeing a lot of us can't make it to Florida.

Here's a couple of things to remember Bruce by. This is a tape of his from '91 titled "Grandma's House" (I named it that because Bruce did have a tendency to be a bit grumpy sometimes...) - This was during the period Bruce was staying with me every weekend in Jax...

http://www.cjmikey.com/mp300/bruce1.mp3

http://www.cjmikey.com/mp300/bruce2.mp3

If you want to contact me about the possible memorial to be held in NYC on 5/29 please contact me through myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/cjmikey

Guest mcmike

If you want to contact me about the possible memorial to be held in NYC on 5/29 please contact me through myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/cjmikey

Hey it's just been suggested to me that instead of the day after we should hold the NYC memorial on Sunday 5/28 (the day of the reunion party). I'll be posting current info on my Myspace page so check it out to get the most updated info &, if you could, let me know if you'll be attending so I'll know what type of gathering we should have.

Guest Rose2880

Here's a couple of things to remember Bruce by. This is a tape of his from '91 titled "Grandma's House" (I named it that because Bruce did have a tendency to be a bit grumpy sometimes...) - This was during the period Bruce was staying with me every weekend in Jax...

http://www.cjmikey.com/mp300/bruce1.mp3

http://www.cjmikey.com/mp300/bruce2.mp3

Whoa!! Talk about old school! I just got the chills listening to these tunes....

Thanks so much for putting these up! I'm sure everyone appreciates it. I know I sure do. I lost virtually everything (long story) including all my old school tapes, so thanks for bringing back that old school flava!

Guest RzO

well i dont really know bruce but i must say i read this whole thread and it is such a sad thing to see someone who was this influential in the scene perish...i wasnt gonna post but after listening to those links i felt obligated...now in 1991 i was 10 yrs old, and i just listened to both of those links, and that was absolute quality, amazing sound...so my regards go out to bruce and all of the people who were effected in his passing...music is powerful and its always sad to see soemone involved in it go for unfortunate reasons

Guest Watts

Shocked and saddened about the news, Greg. Bruce was indeed a force, a great customer and an incredible sounding board for us here at Watts. I have had a family member end their own life. It is very difficult and leaves us all with many questions that will never be ansered and a helplessness that will be with us for the rest of our lives...

Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you close to Bruce and to his family.

Wendy @ Watts

Guest davetrance

hey all,

word has just filtered up to me about bruce.

i consider myself a very lucky person to have known bruce, both on a professional level through the music distribution business and most importantly on a personal level. i fondly remember our b.s. sessions on the telephone yakking endlessly about music that we liked, music that we loved. he was always a good friend to me even though we'd maybe run into each other in person just once or twice a year- you'd be hard pressed to find a more genuine person in this scene or in this life. i will miss him.

greg,

keep your head up. you've been an amazing friend to bruce and you and everyone here has my undying respect and condolences.

dave trance

Guest jbit

now in 1991 i was 10 yrs old, and i just listened to both of those links, and that was absolute quality, amazing sound.

RzO brings up a good point. Anyone that was too young to be privy to this era or simply wasn't into the EDM scene back then should check these mixes out.

Guest djjoncowan

well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? bruce was one of the first people I met in this scene around 1990 when he was still a bouncer at Simons. he really got me into this scene and I can recall many road trips with bruce up too the edge orlando, ahhzz, simons, marz, ect - and of course bruce's legendary sets at the edge here in ft lauderdale. Bruce always supported me in everything I tried to accomplish and vice versa. I only wish I could have done more for such a special person in his time of need. bruce was a true friend, a true gentleman, and just an all around amazing human being. If there is anything that I can assist with please do not hesitate to ask. you may email me directly at jonathancowan@mac.com - my respects to a wonderful human being.. RIP my friend!

all my love and respect

Jon Cowan

Guest kineticscott

fuckin' a, bruce! you want to get the old gang back together and you choose to do it this way? geez, you coulda just sent an email...

aaaahhh, yes... bruce...

i remember your first night in the house on 18th court. it was all dru and i could do trying not to wake you up while we hung out in the living room. (remember that one, dru?) your reputation preceded you down to lauderdale from gainesville. "great dj, maybe a little tempestuous." you took the helm at the edge from cliff tangredi and dj mott before him. the first night you played at the edge and yelled at security to "quit fucking sweeping the floor" and we knew that you meant business. what business remained to be seen.

you turned that club out. you turned fort lauderdale on. you rocked it like i've never heard anyone do again (and i've heard a lot of other fuckers play!) i spent so many nights up in that dj booth- watching, listening, learning.

so many memories from my perch up there in the booth...

the time you stood up up after taking a hit of weed and almost fell over, dru turns to me and asks "is he supposed to do that?". nice one.

the time you turned to me with a record in each hand and told me "one day... i'm going to teach you everything i know". i almost peed my pants watching you try to find the sleeves for those records (you may have been a little banged up- ha ha!)

your contagious excitement when havanna took to the decks. you were giddy!

the first "lollipop guild" party - the emerald forest? and the time we had josh wink, paul van dyk and lieven degueynt stay at the house. you were beside yourself, even if josh did have to wrap his hair in a towel because of your cats...

always starting the electronic part of the edge evening with 2unlimited's "you all ready for this?". when i heard that track i knew it was gonna get crazy.

the way you'd always expect me to drop and go hang out on the couches in the back room until i could see straight (sorta, anyway). i never disappointed and you'd always welcome me into the booth and keep a watchful eye on me. thanks!

the best memory of all?

your impeccable skill behind a set of decks. you didn't just play records. you were records. you ate, drank, slept, etc. records. your grasp of dance music was inspiring. so inspiring, in fact that i (and others, too) took up dj'ing. it was all i could do to try to play like you. i remember when you played at the party in stuart and told me your opinion of the tape that i'd done. i couldn't believe that the godfather of dance in south florida thought so highly of something that i'd done. i was so happy, and i'll never forget it.

i've taken a leave of absence from playing since i fucked up and bought all those records at y&t. man, what a mistake that was. i'm in san francisco now and if for no other reason than to hopefully channel your spirit and skill, i'm gonna rock this town!

well, you're gone now. physically, anyway. but bruce, your spirit remains. in every beat that's dropped in south florida. in every kid that takes up dj'ing after a night out. in every sunrise on a rooftop or courtyard of a club. in every smile that graces the faces of the crowd when a dj's rocking it.

you know how people say "it's not goodbye, more like "see you later""? that's how i feel. i'm gonna run into you in another place. my name will be on the guestlist. you'll welcome me into the booth, one last time, and i'll sit there while you make the record collection in the sky sing. (imagine the records you'll have- every release on every label known. you'll have learned them by the time we meet up again, in true bruce style)dru will be rocking the lights and taking money for requests that'll never get played (remember that shit?). jaysen will be making flyers and handing them out, exalting your prowess. stryke will play live. oda and the dawns (both cheeser and mine)will be there, too, looking good as hell as they dance. and best of all? you'll play on forever and we'll never have to leave or want to.

the beat goes on and on and on and on...

adios, my brother... friend... teacher... mentor... inspiration

Guest SOMMER

What a loss! He has inscripted so many great memories into my brain. Once upon a time, he was the resident DJ at the Edge....some of the best days of my life!!! He used to rock the house. The line just to get in was a mile long...no one has been able to achieve that since they closed that place down. I made many friends back then, some of them I hold close to my heart....just like I do Bruce. In fact,Bruce was the first name I typed in when I joined My Space (I knew I would find many old friends through him). Well, I did, one being Drew who told me the shocking news that Bruce was missing. I could hear the frustration in his voice...how sad. Now, the news that he is no longer missing, but he is gone forever...how devistating!!! But remember you hold the most important thing Bruce could've given you....many great memories! No one can ever take that from you. Dear Bruce..You will be missed dearly my friend. You were such a great guy with a big heart. I'll never forget your rosy cheeks and your smile. I love ya man, one day we will meet again! May your soul rest in peace. With Love and much Respect---Sommer

Guest dawnschmees

I will be there! My dear friend, you were special to all of us and I pray that your soul find peace in the everlasting. You will always be a part of the best years of my life!

Guest arefresh

(Words from DJ Icey)

"Bruce will be well missed.

He had a incredible ear for music and was instrumental in nurturing the South Florida ELectronic Music scene from the mid 90s on. Booking people like Laurent Garnier and Paul Van Dyk when they were extremely underground. His late nights at The Edge were legendary in South Florida.

As a DJ, Bruce was a perfectionist and was know for his precision mixing abilities. As a man he was the type of guy that would do anything for his friends.

A great loss of a great man."

- DJ Icey

Guest pod

The location is set, apparently it is Mia Grill off of Young Circle. The date is still fluid since I think Greg and Drew are waiting to see when the out-of-town folks can make it.

Guest djjoncowan

The location is set, apparently it is Mia Grill off of Young Circle. The date is still fluid since I think Greg and Drew are waiting to see when the out-of-town folks can make it.

ok...mamma mia's in hollywood right on the circle... please keep me updated or just ring me greg with the date. if i can assist in anyway please ask ;)

Guest michael^heaven

---So sad to hear the news! I think we've all had thoughts about ending things from time to time. We each have our own way of getting through this thing called life. For me, it has been my religious background, Mum, my friends, surfing, & my love for the music. Hopefully, Bruce is in a better place now & is at peace with himself. This thread has certainly brought back memories. I actually never knew of Bruce's ties to Simons. Very interesting. I was only acquainted with his relentless nights/mornings at the Edge/Lauderdale. Incredible to say the least. Did anyone ever close that place out?? I never had the stamina....even in my heightened state of mind. Bruce certainly never let up. Sorry for this loss & thoughts & prayers to his family & close friends.

~M