What You dislike most about WMC

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

too many djs

not enough live music/acts

Point taken.....any suggestions? We know of all the obvious....how about the less obvious?

Jamie Lidell , Joris Voorn , Technasia , Henrik Schwarz , Donnacha Costello , Mathew Jonson , Ark

Guest frankthetank

too many djs

Point taken.....any suggestions? We know of all the obvious....how about the less obvious?

Jamie Lidell , Joris Voorn , Technasia , Henrik Schwarz , Donnacha Costello , Mathew Jonson , Ark

I have no idea who these peeps are? ??? Maybe some day I will.

Guest ludik

Paranoid? Nope. Just realistic. It's cake for law enforcement to get what they need.

You might think "oh they'll never come for me", but ya never know.

get what they need because someone said beans on a message board.. yaow get real man.. anyway, i digress

Henrik Schwarz has had some great stuff out lately check it out

Guest ramon

too many djs

I have no idea who these peeps are? ??? Maybe some day I will.

www.jamielidell.com - jamie lidel l

www.jorisvoorn.com - joris voorn

www.technasia.com - technasia

http://www.myspace.com/henrikschwarz - henrik schwarz

www.minimise.com - donnacha costello

www.wagonrepair.ca - mathew jonson

http://www.djouls.com/ark/ - ark

anything else? :)

Guest Philip

ellen allien & apparat would be nice

modeselektor

sleeparchive

sense club

senor coconut

the mfa

extrawelt

i think any kind of crowd would appreciate Ellen Allien & Apparat live.

Sleeparchive would be :o for me

Guest ramon

ellen allien & apparat would be nice

modeselektor

sleeparchive

sense club

senor coconut

the mfa

extrawelt

i think any kind of crowd would appreciate Ellen Allien & Apparat live.

Sleeparchive would be :o for me

Sleeparchive were available last year I had no venue or funding to do it though :(

Guest myles hie

I dislike the fact that the badges don't mean as much as they used to. When i first started attending WMC the badges got you discounts or freebies at stores, clubs and resturants all over the beach. In the early 2000's things changed. The badges barely got you anything, maybe a 5 dollars off between 11:00 and 11:15 at a certain club. I have seen an effort in the last few years for WMC to make the badge more valuable but it seems that the WMC has created this monster that ended up eating itself.

I also dislike the fact the WMC has almost taken a back seat in priorities to people coming to Miami in March. You guys created all this stuff, you should take control of the wheel and take back your position on the top of the EDM heap

Guest frankthetank

I dislike the fact that the badges don't mean as much as they used to. When i first started attending WMC the badges got you discounts or freebies at stores, clubs and resturants all over the beach. In the early 2000's things changed. The badges barely got you anything, maybe a 5 dollars off between 11:00 and 11:15 at a certain club. I have seen an effort in the last few years for WMC to make the badge more valuable but it seems that the WMC has created this monster that ended up eating itself.

I also dislike the fact the WMC has almost taken a back seat in priorities to people coming to Miami in March. You guys created all this stuff, you should take control of the wheel and take back your position on the top of the EDM heap

It's all about making a buck anymore which is why the WMC isn't worth shit. Economics baby! Why not capitalize on the event's popularity? All of Sobe has including condo owner's, restaurants, clubs, etc. Hell...even the bumbs and crackheads get exited to make an extra buck.

Guest WMC

It's all about making a buck anymore which is why the WMC isn't worth shit. Economics baby! Why not capitalize on the event's popularity? All of Sobe has including condo owner's, restaurants, clubs, etc. Hell...even the bumbs and crackheads get exited to make an extra buck.

We would like to make something extremely clear...

WMC was created in 1985 to offer a platform where artists, labels, and dj's from the industry could come to discuss concerns pertaining to the business. The conference outgrew Fort Lauderdale at the time.

If any discounts or "freebies" were given over the past years it was certainly done out of the goodness of the specific merchants heart in order to attract YOUR business. As the participation grew over the years....the local merchants no longer needed to interact with us because OUR efforts were providing them with thousands of warm bodies.

This business in general changed in 2000....'DJ' peaked in 2000 but the local merchants did not change...instead the prices continued to climb but the people continued to pay. We do not have control over how much Club XYZ or Hotel ABC charges for their events or accomodations...they do not consult with us concerning talent or anything else....

Yes it's a concern and YES we are working on building relationships.

Guest ludik

The price of hotels has really gotten crazy. I have gone the past 6 years but dont know if I will be able to go after 2007 judging by the way things are going.

To be honest, I really wouldnt mind for the rumor of the WMC moving to Vegas to be true. I would like to try something different. just something to think about

Guest pod

There's no dance music scene in Vegas to support it.

I'm looking out my suite window right now, and I see nightclubs being advertised, but the best they can muster is "80s Night", "Hip-hop Xtravaganza" "Ladies Free All Night" "Cold Beer and Dirty Girls" "$15 All You Can Eat..."

The venues are beautiful, but there is zero for dance music in LV except for a few parties.

Plus, putting in Vegas makes it twice as difficult for the European crowd to fly out. Miami's an easy hop from Europe. LV isn't.

Guest WMC

There's no dance music scene in Vegas to support it.

I'm looking out my suite window right now, and I see nightclubs being advertised, but the best they can muster is "80s Night", "Hip-hop Xtravaganza" "Ladies Free All Night" "Cold Beer and Dirty Girls" "$15 All You Can Eat..."

The venues are beautiful, but there is zero for dance music in LV except for a few parties.

Plus, putting in Vegas makes it twice as difficult for the European crowd to fly out. Miami's an easy hop from Europe. LV isn't.

Vegas is FULL of beautiful venues...and besides the scene is where you make it. :)

Guest myles hie

WMC was created in 1985 to offer a platform where artists, labels, and dj's from the industry could come to discuss concerns pertaining to the business. The conference outgrew Fort Lauderdale at the time.

If any discounts or "freebies" were given over the past years it was certainly done out of the goodness of the specific merchants heart in order to attract YOUR business. As the participation grew over the years....the local merchants no longer needed to interact with us because OUR efforts were providing them with thousands of warm bodies.

This business in general changed in 2000....'DJ' peaked in 2000 but the local merchants did not change...instead the prices continued to climb but the people continued to pay. We do not have control over how much Club XYZ or Hotel ABC charges for their events or accomodations...they do not consult with us concerning talent or anything else....

If you let things get out of control with area merchants then they will. I know you don't have the time or ability to police area merchants, being involved with them may help keep things reasonable. Cutting deals to make merchants "official" WMC outlets to send business there way in exchange for deals for delegates is the way to go.

Nothing you guys read in these forums will be new ideas to you. You have been doing it way to long to not have been over almost every concept to improve but for your own reasons not implemented ideas. By running business as usual i hope you havent backed yourself into a corner. I know how much effort and time it takes to put on the event and everyone needs t respect and appreciate that, but with anything in the entertainment and technology fields you constantly need to be thinking 2 steps ahead to maintain credibility and dominance.

Guest WMC

If you let things get out of control with area merchants then they will. I know you don't have the time or ability to police area merchants, being involved with them may help keep things reasonable. Cutting deals to make merchants "official" WMC outlets to send business there way in exchange for deals for delegates is the way to go.

Nothing you guys read in these forums will be new ideas to you. You have been doing it way to long to not have been over almost every concept to improve but for your own reasons not implemented ideas. By running business as usual i hope you havent backed yourself into a corner. I know how much effort and time it takes to put on the event and everyone needs t respect and appreciate that, but with anything in the entertainment and technology fields you constantly need to be thinking 2 steps ahead to maintain credibility and dominance.

Merchants today don't need to engage in agreements since the people will already be here. We would love to have a relationship with local merchants that would benefit our delegates...but what is the incentive for them if the masses are already here?

we're working on something... ;)

By running business as usual i hope you havent backed yourself into a corner. I know how much effort and time it takes to put on the event and everyone needs t respect and appreciate that, but with anything in the entertainment and technology fields you constantly need to be thinking 2 steps ahead to maintain credibility and dominance.

Credibility is something that is earned...and if we haven't earned that yet then the last 22 years have been a joke that ended up as Miami's most succesful event to date.

Guest myles hie

Absolutely and you have earned credibility without a doubt, but that credibility needs to translate into things like $ and keeping the level of credibility where you are looked to to set trends and be a front runner in the industry or you get stuck treading water and not progressing. People respect what you have done but resting on your laurels will not guarentee future success.

You guys know where you are at and what you need to do and i hope things continue to grow and flourish with WMC leading the way once again. ;D

Guest frankthetank

Absolutely and you have earned credibility without a doubt, but that credibility needs to translate into things like $ and keeping the level of credibility where you are looked to to set trends and be a front runner in the industry or you get stuck treading water and not progressing. People respect what you have done but resting on your laurels will not guarentee future success.

You guys know where you are at and what you need to do and i hope things continue to grow and flourish with WMC leading the way once again. ;D

on a positive note...I can't wait to WMC this year since I missed last year. ;D

Guest myles hie

on a positive note...I can't wait to WMC this year since I missed last year. ;D

It wasn't meant to be a negative note. ???

I hope i'm not being taken as anti WMC, we are just conversing

Guest coach

The problem is, you guys continually say stuff like this:

WMC BADGE INCLUDES:

*Over 30 Seminars & Panels

*Poolside DJ Sets & Industry Networking

*International Marketplace & Exhibits

*Free Admission to Ultra Music Festival

*Sessions by Top International Artists and DJs

*6 Nights of Non-stop Club Events

*Remixing & Editing Workshops

*International Dance Music Awards

*Technology Demonstrations

*Demo Listening Workshops

*DJ Spin-Off

As well as access to room nights that start at $199/night. Just Ultra and the savings on the hotel accomodations will pay for the badge and all that comes with the badge...so I'm not sure why more people wouldn't take advantage instead of worrying about how much hotel rooms are going to be.

Send this link to any of your friends who might be considering the event this year....they don't have to be in the industry to take advantage of the discounts.

Again, it may be a problem of perception. It may just be that you need to make clearer exactly what discounts are offered. And you know you need to police your partners better. I'm sure you have heard the multitudinous complaints of people with badges showing up at "official" events and not getting in or not getting the discount they were promised.

Guest WMC

We cannot be everywhere at the same time so it is hard to police all of the parties/promoters. More often than not...the badge holder "entrance issue" is directly related to fire/security/capacity concerns.

Guest coach

We cannot be everywhere at the same time so it is hard to police all of the parties/promoters. More often than not...the badge holder "entrance issue" is directly related to fire/security/capacity concerns.

But that's irrelevant. You want to know why people are not buying your badges in droves, we are telling you. Honestly, customers generally do not care why the issues occur. Nor is it their responsibility to. They expect what is promised when they pay. If you cannot manage so many events, I would suggest either cutting back on the number or increasing staff. Or finding some other solution.

Note that this is totally *separate* from the issue of all the non-aligned parties that pop up to mooch off your efforts. I am speaking specifically of the events that are tied to the WMC badge.

• 3 weeks later...

i dislike not enough bare naked ladies(not the band)

i also dislike not enough girls w/ tan lines i think its sexy

i also dislike not enough girls going up to guys topless(speaking of myself here)

the music is fun

oh n i also dislike the crunk white t crowd that gets crunker n crunker each year that goes by

ps...more girls in bikini, we just dont have enough in miami