Clubplanet Nightlife Community

WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT WMC?

Guest WMC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tres-b

WMC is dissolving into spring break, whether people admit it or not, so for WMC I suggest you ditch the EDM focus and open it up to all genres except hip hop...

WMC is on it's last leg, time to change it up..

P.S. why would "hip hop" or "RnB" not be a good genre to participate with?

You are kidding right?

no. we're looking for an educated answer or reasoning and not an "anti thug" campaign answer.

I am not a fan of Hip Hop but this genre jumped the shark a VERY long time ago. The rap "artists" of today are nothing more than bling bling marketing projects w little or no talent(see Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins, etc etc etc...)

Eminem is a talented guy who actually cares about what he puts out. Ditto for Jay-Z although I have yet to hear the new album. Nelly can get it done. Where is Dre?

No comment on Diddy, P Diddy, Puffy, or whatever he is going by these days. I just cant support someone who acts the way he does...

And you cant ignore the "thug" element. Thats like saying ignore the sand when you are at the beach.

We have seen a re-surgence of "indie" talent the likes of "Lauryn Hill" "India Arie" and even "John Legend" as well as some innocent bumping 128BPM good RnB. These types of artists are probably still pidgeon-holed into the "hip hop" genre for no other reason than convenience.

These are the types of artists that need to be heard along with all of the other types of music available to us today other than traditional EDM.

Crunk has been done and probably was done after the second "crunk" hit was released. But like everything else...no one expected it to get this far.

I would not consider Lauryn Hill or John Legend hip hop.

I agree w/ you 100% on the fact that artists need to be heard but they have so much opportunity for commecial sucess on the radio and through cd sales.

Miami, during WMC, was the one place during year that was all about EDM. That is what made WMC unique.

When you try to be everything to everybody, you end up not being very good at anything.

WMC is dissolving into spring break, whether people admit it or not, so for WMC I suggest you ditch the EDM focus and open it up to all genres except hip hop...

You are kidding right?

no. we're looking for an educated answer or reasoning and not an "anti thug" campaign answer.

I am not a fan of Hip Hop but this genre jumped the shark a VERY long time ago. The rap "artists" of today are nothing more than bling bling marketing projects w little or no talent(see Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins, etc etc etc...)

Eminem is a talented guy who actually cares about what he puts out. Ditto for Jay-Z although I have yet to hear the new album. Nelly can get it done. Where is Dre?

No comment on Diddy, P Diddy, Puffy, or whatever he is going by these days. I just cant support someone who acts the way he does...

And you cant ignore the "thug" element. Thats like saying ignore the sand when you are at the beach.

We have seen a re-surgence of "indie" talent the likes of "Lauryn Hill" "India Arie" and even "John Legend" as well as some innocent bumping 128BPM good RnB. These types of artists are probably still pidgeon-holed into the "hip hop" genre for no other reason than convenience.

These are the types of artists that need to be heard along with all of the other types of music available to us today other than traditional EDM.

Crunk has been done and probably was done after the second "crunk" hit was released. But like everything else...no one expected it to get this far.

I agree w/ you 100% on the fact that artists need to be heard but they have so much opportunity for commecial sucess on the radio and through cd sales.

Miami, during WMC, was the one place during year that was all about EDM. That is what made WMC unique.

When you try to be everything to everybody, you end up not being very good at anything.

WMC=excuse for those who live in cold areas to come to Miami, they are not coming for edm music, they could care less what draws them here, edm is making no money for radio, djs, producers, labels, record shops, equipment makers etc. The industry is done.

Guest Devilicious

A downtown/sobe shuttle... I think the day of ultra this would be particularly useful, but I would love to be able to catch a bus at maybe the 17th street parking lot and be dropped off in front of Space every night at 5am 8)

... I never use the published WMC guide, i do my research exclusively on the net

Any reason why the published WMC guide doesn't do it for you?

No, it's nothing about the publication in particular. Like most people I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and in the weeks leading up to WMC it's just easier to check things out online. Also, I like to have an idea of what I'm going to be doing in advance. Maybe I just haven't come across them, but I haven't seen any hard copies widely distributed prior to the week of. I know that's tough because of events changing and whatnot.

Also, I despise the publications that are biased in the information they print. ie: m3 printing a document claiming to be a guide to WMC when only m3 events are listed. I want clear, concise, thorough info.

Dan, very funny but you know damn well people aren't going to start taking the regular bus. Something specifically for WMC and marketed to attendees [and running at times designated for clubgoers' convenience] could make money and reduce traffic, parking, DUIs, and would be cheaper and easier for us.

Guest WMC

You are kidding right?

see...there are many people out there like yourself who do not consider those artists as 'hip-hop' artists but unfortunately there are many more who do. What that does is cast a negative connotation upon the whole urban movement who (believe it or not) have influenced the EDM market tremendously.

These might be some of the people that could be showcased during conference?

Guest pod

Even better, a water taxi. No, seriously. That'd be a cool idea. Drops you off right near Plaza Venetia.

"You must be able to stand this tall to ride the water taxi". Keep the obvious drunks off, otherwise it could get messy. Water taxi company assumes no liability if you decide to be a jackass and fall into the bay.

Oh, and it'd have to go fast too, not cruise at 5 MPH like those stupid party boats that the kids from Peoria go on.

Guest WMC

A downtown/sobe shuttle... I think the day of ultra this would be particularly useful, but I would love to be able to catch a bus at maybe the 17th street parking lot and be dropped off in front of Space every night at 5am 8)

... I never use the published WMC guide, i do my research exclusively on the net

Any reason why the published WMC guide doesn't do it for you?

No, it's nothing about the publication in particular. Like most people I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and in the weeks leading up to WMC it's just easier to check things out online. Also, I like to have an idea of what I'm going to be doing in advance. Maybe I just haven't come across them, but I haven't seen any hard copies widely distributed prior to the week of. I know that's tough because of events changing and whatnot.

Also, I despise the publications that are biased in the information they print. ie: m3 printing a document claiming to be a guide to WMC when only m3 events are listed. I want clear, concise, thorough info.

We have an online version of "the list" that had 1,316 events listed last year...that might help you in locating your events faster this year. You can sort by artist, venue, and date.

About all of the counterfeit 'WMC' collateral that sprouts up there's really only so many resources we can invest towards that segment. We deal with the most important and the rest we can only advise buyer beware

Guest swank

Even better, a water taxi. No, seriously. That'd be a cool idea. Drops you off right near Plaza Venetia.

"You must be able to stand this tall to ride the water taxi". Keep the obvious drunks off, otherwise it could get messy. Water taxi company assumes no liability if you decide to be a jackass and fall into the bay.

Oh, and it'd have to go fast too, not cruise at 5 MPH like those stupid party boats that the kids from Peoria go on.

I can see the headlines now....

Guest myles hie

2 things WMC needs imo.

1 thing would be to bring back the "starpower" so to speak. Establish relations and re-establish relations with talent to draw people back to WMC instead of M3 or Remix. People go to those things just as much to see all the big name artists hang and perform as to see the exibits or discussion panels.

2nd thing. Although the panels have gotten somewhat better you need to give the event a makeover and make it seem more "cutting edge" like the other mini conventions during the week. Some pizazz to spice things up. The biggest complain i hear from delegates is that its the same ish year after year. People are still coming to Miami in March but they are not going to the convention. Maybe by adding some commercial elements like a free mini conference within the conference like a one or 2 day thing for free like Remix (gear and rockstars) to get some of these people who are in town to participate in something you might be laying the groundwork for future consumers of dance.

Guest frankthetank

Personally I don't see a bunch of "Billy Bob's" or peeps from Peoria when I visit Miami regardless if it's WMC. Seems like the majority of people I run across are from the Northeast.

Guest pod

Personally I don't see a bunch of "Billy Bob's" or peeps from Peoria when I visit Miami regardless if it's WMC. Seems like the majority of people I run across are from the Northeast.

Not necessarily location based, but more of a mindset. I guess I should rephrase it as that I don't like the fact that white Middle America comes down for conference.

Guest Philip

free pizza

:o

where???

any WMC sanctioned event MUST include free pizza. hand-tossed or deep-dish ONLY! none of this thin crust nonsense. if i wanted to put tomato sauce on a cracker i could do that at home.

Guest frankthetank

Not necessarily location based, but more of a mindset. I guess I should rephrase it as that I don't like the fact that white Middle America comes down for conference.

Could be worse... Half of Compton, CA could be coming for Spring Bling or they decide to have Memorial Day weekend every weekend in Miami. ;D

Guest Cosmigonon

free pizza

:o

where???

any WMC sanctioned event MUST include free pizza. hand-tossed or deep-dish ONLY! none of this thin crust nonsense. if i wanted to put tomato sauce on a cracker i could do that at home.

LMAO

Guest WMC

2 things WMC needs imo.

1 thing would be to bring back the "starpower" so to speak. Establish relations and re-establish relations with talent to draw people back to WMC instead of M3 or Remix. People go to those things just as much to see all the big name artists hang and perform as to see the exibits or discussion panels.

2nd thing. Although the panels have gotten somewhat better you need to give the event a makeover and make it seem more "cutting edge" like the other mini conventions during the week. Some pizazz to spice things up. The biggest complain i hear from delegates is that its the same ish year after year. People are still coming to Miami in March but they are not going to the convention. Maybe by adding some commercial elements like a free mini conference within the conference like a one or 2 day thing for free like Remix (gear and rockstars) to get some of these people who are in town to participate in something you might be laying the groundwork for future consumers of dance.

1st thing - do you mean to have 'named artists' at the exhibiting portion of our program? What is it about M3 or Remix that is more appealing than any other programs during that time?

2nd thing - please elaborate on "cutting edge" "pizazz" and "spice things up"

Mini Conference? Last year we opened our exhibiting to the public...although the campaign was a little late the turn out was very succesful. We will definitaley let you know about it way in advance this year....starting right now. ;)

Guest Philip

I throw tomato sauce on crackers all the time. They get pissed.

i had a cracker throw an egg at me from a car on 5th a few weeks ago. splattered all over my new guyabera. good thing i was a little tipsy. my sober 0-30 would have been much quicker than his car.

Guest myles hie

2 things WMC needs imo.

1st thing - do you mean to have 'named artists' at the exhibiting portion of our program? What is it about M3 or Remix that is more appealing than any other programs during that time?

Back in the day there were "famous" members of the dance community attending and participating in the convention whether it was on a panel or in the exibition. Now, not so much. People are drawn and want to see these "stars" which the other minicons are chock full of.

2nd thing - please elaborate on "cutting edge" "pizazz" and "spice things up"

Mini Conference? Last year we opened our exhibiting to the public...although the campaign was a little late the turn out was very succesful. We will definitaley let you know about it way in advance this year....starting right now. ;)

Opening the exibition to the public is a big step in the right direction, kudos=)

As far as any other ideas i would have to charge you a consult fee=).