Clubplanet Nightlife Community

WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT WMC?

Guest WMC

Guest coach

Yeah, I'm down with the pizzazz and cutting edge. MORE exhibitors. MORE interactive demos. MORE really bleeding edge technology.

Can you post a list of last year's seminars here so we have a reference?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest myles hie

Yeah, I'm down with the pizzazz and cutting edge. MORE exhibitors. MORE interactive demos. MORE really bleeding edge technology.

Can you post a list of last year's seminars here so we have a reference?

List of last year's panels...click here.

http://www.wmcon.com/schedule.htm

Don't get me wrong, the panels in the last few years have stepped up as far as adding some panels on topics that have just arisen in the last few years and over the years have always coved the main bases of the industry but imo, things have gotten stagnant . I totally love the WMC and its staff and will continue to support, but i hope seeing the need to make changes isn't a case of too little too late. Those other minicons have been making some noise and stealing some of your thunder. Dance is already in a weird position and something like the remergence of the convention is a key piece of the puzzle to the success or to the demise of Dance.

Guest maru37

Personally I don't see a bunch of "Billy Bob's" or peeps from Peoria when I visit Miami regardless if it's WMC. Seems like the majority of people I run across are from the Northeast.

Not necessarily location based, but more of a mindset. I guess I should rephrase it as that I don't like the fact that white Middle America comes down for conference.

It is a mindset. Most of the spring breakers have no idea whats going on during WMC. These are the kids asking you "who is this?" while you're seeing Digweed, Deep Dish, Fanciulli, etc. It doesn't bug me because I know those kids are just trying to get drunk and laid and not trying to hear some sick white label track that Zabiela is playing.

I can't imagine WMC happening anywhere else. Vegas is the only other place where it could be somewhat pulled off - still not the same though.

The Guide - make it easier to search. Maybe a "by artist" search?

I like that for a week I can forget about my day job and the stresses if the northeast and go out with my friends, hear great music, and pretend that I'm not a psuedo-adult. Regardless of all the image and over commercialized garbage that seeps into the WMC the heart and soul of the week is still within all of us who love EDM and nothing can really ruin that.

Guest frankthetank

1. boat parties

2. poolside day parties

3. more of 1 and 2

I think I am going to try to make at least one dayside pool party this year

1. Definitely hit Nikki Beach once - not sure what party

2. Maybe Shelborne party - not sure which party. Maybe DT and VC. Didn't they do one last year?

3. Maybe hit new Crobar - not sure which party

4. Space for the S Man.

Guest frankthetank

Roger's party rules.

I am going to be so pissed if Roger's party is not on the Wed 21, Thurs 22, or Fri 23 when I am there.

Guest ludik

I only got the WMC pass the first year I whent.. It was pretty informative and usefull in a general sense but the following years I didnt see the overall cost benefit for someone like myself even though i do dj out.

I have to say, the suggestion to maybe spice it up sounds pretty decent. Just a thought, but it might be helpful if you offered different "tracks" say for the dj, the producer etc. And each track consists of certain seminars. That would give people a better idea.. I know if there was something along the lines of a "beginning producing" track with some intro seminars and fundamentals classes..that I would definitely consider signing up. When I go to Technology conferences its all about learning the details, if WMC offered something like that It would definitely step it up in my minid. I know with djs/producers in general, we are always looking to learn new things.. Just an idea

Guest WMC

I only got the WMC pass the first year I whent.. It was pretty informative and usefull in a general sense but the following years I didnt see the overall cost benefit for someone like myself even though i do dj out.

I have to say, the suggestion to maybe spice it up sounds pretty decent. Just a thought, but it might be helpful if you offered different "tracks" say for the dj, the producer etc. And each track consists of certain seminars. That would give people a better idea.. I know if there was something along the lines of a "beginning producing" track with some intro seminars and fundamentals classes..that I would definitely consider signing up. When I go to Technology conferences its all about learning the details, if WMC offered something like that It would definitely step it up in my minid. I know with djs/producers in general, we are always looking to learn new things.. Just an idea

Hey ldk,

check here http://www.wmcon.com/remixwkshp.htm

and here http://wmcon.com/pinfo.htm

once inside that link check last year's panels.

Guest WMC

WMC BADGE INCLUDES:

*Over 30 Seminars & Panels

*Poolside DJ Sets & Industry Networking

*International Marketplace & Exhibits

*Free Admission to Ultra Music Festival

*Sessions by Top International Artists and DJs

*6 Nights of Non-stop Club Events

*Remixing & Editing Workshops

*International Dance Music Awards

*Technology Demonstrations

*Demo Listening Workshops

*DJ Spin-Off

As well as access to room nights that start at $199/night. Just Ultra and the savings on the hotel accomodations will pay for the badge and all that comes with the badge...so I'm not sure why more people wouldn't take advantage instead of worrying about how much hotel rooms are going to be.

Send this link to any of your friends who might be considering the event this year....they don't have to be in the industry to take advantage of the discounts.

Guest ludik

Hey ldk,

yeah i see that, i look at it every year.. but there is no focussed track for me to follow.. having that, with the addition of some more focused workshops would be ideal

Guest coach

Hey ldk,

Hey WMC,

Not to be mean, but what's the point of this? If you are just going to take everyone's suggestions and say effectively, "Oh, we already do that," then why bother?

Obviously, you either do *not* already do it, or people do not *realize* that you do it. (And by "it", I am not referring to anything particular, but that has been your response to a number of different suggestions in a variety of areas.) So, pointing people to your past events is pointless.

So, if you think people are suggesting things that you already think you do, there are 2 things you need to do.

1) Go back and reassess whether you *really* do them. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but maybe what you think you are offering is not really what is happening on the ground. A lot can happen between planning and execution.

2) If you really discover that you *are* offering what is being suggested, then it is a matter of perception. You need to reassess how you create the perception of what is happening at WMC.

In either case, saying, "Oh, we already do that" is pointless. It can insult your potential audience and ignores the fact that there is an issue, be it of substance or of perception. Obviously, if you already did "it" successfully, there would not be these suggestions.

I know that you know this, and I know that it is often hard to see what is wrong from the inside. (And, of course, I realize that some suggestions are just made by clueless people who are impossible to please.)

Guest WMC

Hey ldk,

Hey WMC,

Not to be mean, but what's the point of this? If you are just going to take everyone's suggestions and say effectively, "Oh, we already do that," then why bother?

Obviously, you either do *not* already do it, or people do not *realize* that you do it. (And by "it", I am not referring to anything particular, but that has been your response to a number of different suggestions in a variety of areas.) So, pointing people to your past events is pointless.

So, if you think people are suggesting things that you already think you do, there are 2 things you need to do.

1) Go back and reassess whether you *really* do them. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but maybe what you think you are offering is not really what is happening on the ground. A lot can happen between planning and execution.

2) If you really discover that you *are* offering what is being suggested, then it is a matter of perception. You need to reassess how you create the perception of what is happening at WMC.

In either case, saying, "Oh, we already do that" is pointless. It can insult your potential audience and ignores the fact that there is an issue, be it of substance or of perception. Obviously, if you already did "it" successfully, there would not be these suggestions.

I know that you know this, and I know that it is often hard to see what is wrong from the inside. (And, of course, I realize that some suggestions are just made by clueless people who are impossible to please.)

We don't consider anyone's opinions as 'mean'. The reason that we ventured into posting is so that we could effectively research what is working and what needs to be improved.

We are not taking the stance of "Oh we already do that" but instead letting people know that some of their suggestions are already in place and have been in the past.

It is hard to please everyone and we understand this...but we hope that buy giving people the chance to voice their opinion, they might feel a little more involved with this event.

Guest coach
We are not taking the stance of "Oh we already do that" but instead letting people know that some of their suggestions are already in place and have been in the past.

Well, (A) you just contradicted yourself. (B), if that is true, that begs my other point, that people do not know it. Telling one person at a time on a forum isn't the solution to that.

• 2 months later...
Guest WMC

Well, (A) you just contradicted yourself. (B), if that is true, that begs my other point, that people do not know it. Telling one person at a time on a forum isn't the solution to that.

So...has everyone signed up for our e-mail updates at www.wintermusicconference.com so that they can keep up to date with all that's going to be going on this year for WMC?

Guest clubchicky

I love everything about the WMC!!! I just bought my tkt for the day day pass..which is awesome...I am glad it was broken down into two nights so that i won't miss out on my fave dj's...when i went to Bang fes. I wound up missing so many because all my fave dj's were playing at the same time...i didn't know who to see first!! i was like a kid in a candy store hehe

Guest coach

So...has everyone signed up for our e-mail updates at www.wintermusicconference.com so that they can keep up to date with all that's going to be going on this year for WMC?

Is that new? I am pretty sure I signed up on the WMC email list years ago. Do I need to do it again, or am I misremembering? Or am I good to go?

Guest WMC

Is that new? I am pretty sure I signed up on the WMC email list years ago. Do I need to do it again, or am I misremembering? Or am I good to go?

If you are still recieving our e-blasts (last one about 7 days ago) then you are in the data base. If you are not recieving the newsletters and weekly updates (e-blasts) then you will want to register.

Guest junkieal

I've been to 6 UMFs and probably one of the worst that they have pulled was the one last year! PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE DO IT AT BAYFRONT PARK! THE 2 DAY THING WILL BE INTERESTING BUT STILL WAITING FOR THE CARRY ON! Stages should deffinately be closer by. I didn't stop running last year going form one tent to the other!

Guest dj moyn

Stages should deffinately be closer by. I didn't stop running last year going form one tent to the other!

you can't place them closer! there was enough bleeding of tunes as it was. if anything they needed to be farther so you could hear ONLY the music at the stage you were at. bring your running shoes this year.

• 3 weeks later...