Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Manhattan vs. Rest of NY

I'm considering moving to NY and am heavily into the scene, but need advice as to where to live. I know everything is in Manhattan, but hear that it is sometimes better to live outside. Please give the pro's and con's to living in Manhattan when compared to the other boroughs.

Bare in mind that I am a 24 yr. old male with a good job. Hope you can all help...

------------------

Guest crystalmethodny

Yo,

Without a doubt, living in Manhattan is the absolute best, if you find a good place. Currently I live in an awesome neighborhood (SoHo) and have a great time... unfortuantely, Im moving out. Why you ask? My rent is being raised nearly $400 and I just don't feel like being raped, unless its by a really fine looking woman. First hand, I can tell you... I'm going to miss it badly... Manhattan is the bomb.

Peace out.

-CM

------------------

cholo...i can't email you without the addy..lol

steve, to answer your question from yesterday, i have no concrete plans for this weekend. after spending the last 12 summers at the beach, i've decided that like new years eve, memorial day at the beach is rookies night out. every benny with swim trunks is packed into the bars/clubs/hotels/friends summer rental...you name it....so ima chill and maybe go dancing one night, barbecue during the day and lounge by the pool.....talk to you man...

ps, that rent thing is really goin down ehh?

peace

stephen

------------------

Manhattan is very expensive, Manhattan is very noisy.

Other than that when you live in Manhattan (downtown or midtown) you are closed to everywhere. If you move to NYC I guess your job will be in Manhattan, you can live right by your job and save on transportations.

You will be less than 20 mn from any clubs.

I live in Hell's Kitchen and I love the neighborhood but it's changing a lot and becoming a horrible mall. I really enjoy beging able to walk to work or walk to the night clubs. But since I've been living there, I don't know anymore what is silence.

Some neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn are nice too and depending on where you live it can be closer to the Manhattan attractions

than some places uptown. If you live in Harlem you will be far from everything anyway.

What is bad with living in Manhattan is that after a while you tend to never go out of the island and it's not very sane.

Have fun in the city.

Plur,

Joël S.

------------------

I recommend parts of jersey. I go to school in Hoboken and am extremely close to everyhting. Via path I can get downtown or midtown for a buck. Bus to port authority is extremly quick. Rent is cheaper and parking is avail.

Eh, jersey still sux

------------------

Thanks for the advice. I will be working in the Financial District at 60 Wall Street, so I was looking around Midtown and down. The highest I would want to go would be the high 50's. I live in Philly now and have a new car, but if I moved I would most likely sell it. How much should I expect to pay for a 1 bedroom in the various areas, and what should I expect to pay for basic living. I tried to use those salary calculators, but they blow things up too much (a $2 burger in Philly doesn't cost $8 in NY). Hope you guys can help me with this as well.

------------------

A fellow JPM employee. Good to see you are hard at work like me. I am Philly area transplant myself and I live in the Midtown area on the East Side. Once you get a taste of Manhatten your not gonna wanta leave my friend. Stay away from the Upper East Side... its mostly frat boys/girls running around from bar to bar.

------------------

Ok, here's the definitive word......

I've lived in Hoboken, NYC, Long Island, and other spots. If I could (which I can't) I'd have two places; however, you need to make the call.

Living in the city is convienent, energetic, and everything is at your fingertips. There is nothing like waking up and commuting to work, and it takes 10 minutes. Also, to have a home base in the city on your evenings out is key.....believe me, to be able to shower and unwind after work before you go out....can't beat it.

but

It's friggin dirty, smelly, and can be too much. Bottom line.....it's not pretty or relaxing....summer sux and it's a tiny space for top dollar. During the winter/fall = awesome!

I currently live out at the beach in NY. I have a low tolerance for staying in the city for too long.....3-4 days and I begin to tweak.

I'm an ocean fanatic, I like to have a tree and some peace and quiet every now and again. You can't beat waking up on the beach on a nice spring/summer/fall day either....but...commuting sux! Bottom line!

So, I dunno if that helped......weight your priorities.....

Working, partying and convienence = City

Open space, cleaner, and more bang for the buck = No city

Like I said.....I want em' both....when the waves start rolling in from the Hurricanes....NYC can stink all it wants to...I'll be dropping in on some phattys without a thought about the city.

And that's all I have to say about that....

------------------

Try brooklyn.

Just do the math and make sure the amount you save in rent more than covers the amount you'll spend on taking cabs home. I pay about $950 a month for an apartment in Fort Greene that would be $2000 in Manhattan, so I can splurge and take cabs everywhere and still save money.

Neighborhoods to try are:

Brooklyn Heights

Carroll Gardens

Fort Greene

Williamsburg

for a party vibe, williamsburg and carroll gardens are best though fort greene is an up-and-comer. brooklyn heights is the most like manhattan (at a discount) and is probably closer to wall street than anywhere else, including soho.

I'd rule out Jersey if you like to go out in the city. you either have to drive after partying (either from NYC or from the PATH station unless you live in Hoboken) or you have to take a cab which could suck if the tunnel traffic is bad.

-tg.

I live in Westchester. The pro is that when you need a break from the noise of the city after a long day at work you can go home to a quiet nice neighborhood with plenty of things to do just a short train away depending on where in Westchester you choose.

Its also close enough to drive right in on a Fri or Sat night to go to the clubs.

The con is that sometimes after a night of clubbing you just want to get to your shower and your bed ASAP, and you have to drive about 30 min, but thats why you make friends with people who have places down here. wink.gif

Anyway some good convenient areas in westchester are:

Rye

Mamaroneck

Harrison

Mount Vernon

You may want to check Astoria or Forest Hills Queens if you do not want to do the Manhattan tip. It is definitely worth it in my opinon.

I live in the Upper East side of Manhattan. It is not the best place to go out but it is clean, safe, and as quiet as it gets in Manhattan. I feel like I am in the suburbs of Midtown. I work near union square and it takes me about 1/2 hour to commute. If you want fun, convenience, and a little prestige do Manhattan. You can not imagine how different it is to live amongst the skycrapers unless you have done it. I think everyone should live in NYC once. It is an experience that you can never match.

------------------

Guest crystalmethodny

Yeah,

My rent just increased 400, 200 my share... so I pay 1250 for an apartment that isnt even that big... grrrrrrrrrrrr

------------------