Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What happened to SASHA and DIGWEED?

Guest blckraven

Guest blckraven

It was a time when someone could step into a world of dreams. It was a time when 10 hours felt like 5 minutes. I was a time when you would look at the sky in disbelief. It was a time when your soul would be lifted above the miseries of this world. A time when Melodic trance would carry me into a different world. Those were the days at Twilo. I'm considered to be one the regulars there, having to only miss 1 sasha party in the last 2.5 years , I of all people love sasha to death. He is amazing, that is he was amazing.... To my surprise I went to Twilo, the club slowly filled up with a different crowd than I'm used to. 1) hardly anyone dances these days...Most come there to get trashed ( yuk ) that is to be expected all clubs are like that including clubs in the U.K. My main gripe is not with the crowd... It is with the material that Sasha has been spinning lately. Whatever happened to Trance ???? has Sasha forgotten that ? To be excact Progressive trance !!! Don't get me wrong. I love the progressive house that he spins ( sometimes, maybe for 1 hour ) then he would switch to melodic trance. Not the past 4 times I saw him. Instead all I hear is Tech house !! At one point I thought he sounded like Carl Cox ( who is brilliant ) I'm just a bit sick of all this dark experimental crap that they are dishing out lately. normally I dance till all my body cramps up ..then I dance some more.. Not last night. I could not take that style of music anymore... my friends started 1 by 1 to leave around 4am.. I left around 5am wishing PVD was here instead. I went outside..to my surprise some kid is acting retarted and got his ass kicked by the bouncers ( attacking a bunch of 300 lbs dudes is retarted ) prob because they would not let him in. I had never seen a fight in Twilo . It is not because I'm Jaded that I know longer like the material they are spinning, I'm just a Progressive Trance freak who adores PVD, Tiesto, Ferry corsten who are all gods in their own ways ! I just miss the old sasha who used to spin " mercury and Solace, space manoeuvres, Twilo thunder, and most of the Quivver tracks ! Please come back sasha !! frown.gif(

I hope his new album is a hit! he deserves it.I still love him no matter what!! Sasha is a top class DJ. I just wish he remembered how that party got so popular. Trance !! Trance !

------------------

[This message has been edited by blckraven (edited 05-27-2000).]

Well I guess Sasha and Digweed couldn't take it anymore either b/c around 6/6:30 they left!!! I had just gotten into the VIP room and they cleared everyone out so we went downstairs only to find that S&D had both left the booth. The guy who spun for the rest of the night (people said it was JImmy Van M but it def. didn't look like him) was pretty good-he at least threw on some prog. trance records.

All in all i was totally disappointed by S&D. First Digweed played like half of the records that he played on Weds night to the same fucking crowd. Sasha was totally off-i was totally bored by the music-i tried to dance but just kept finding myself stopping and standing in place. And then to just take off so early, i mean c'mon. Fortunately I really enjoyed the company of the people who I went with and still had a good time.

Hey you know what i heard...i think one of sasha's people got into an argument w/ twilo mgmt (apparently his girlfriend got harassed by some of the twilo goons) and he's not spinning at Twilo anymore. He's gonna be spinning at the Roxy every 6 weeks. Sound familiar smile.gif

------------------

Originally posted by glide:

Well I guess Sasha and Digweed couldn't take it anymore either b/c around 6/6:30 they left!!! I had just gotten into the VIP room and they cleared everyone out so we went downstairs only to find that S&D had both left the booth. The guy who spun for the rest of the night (people said it was JImmy Van M but it def. didn't look like him) was pretty good-he at least threw on some prog. trance records.

All in all i was totally disappointed by S&D. First Digweed played like half of the records that he played on Weds night to the same fucking crowd. Sasha was totally off-i was totally bored by the music-i tried to dance but just kept finding myself stopping and standing in place. And then to just take off so early, i mean c'mon. Fortunately I really enjoyed the company of the people who I went with and still had a good time.

Hey you know what i heard...i think one of sasha's people got into an argument w/ twilo mgmt (apparently his girlfriend got harassed by some of the twilo goons) and he's not spinning at Twilo anymore. He's gonna be spinning at the Roxy every 6 weeks. Sound familiar smile.gif

Yea that does sound familiar to what someone was saying about PvD on this board. Maybe they just confused the acts.

-Rob

------------------

Let's put an end to all this different rumours why Sasha & Diggers left. They left early to catch a flight back to England to play at the massive festival called 'Homelands'.

Another thing. I think Digger's was brilliant. Nice, dark and deep stuff. For those that want to hear Mercury & Sollace and all those last year anthems... It ain't going to happen. You should know these guys by now. They change their set everytime they come to Twilo. New tracks, different style, and always keeping it underground. If you want to hear anthems and candy trance, you'll have to go when PvD is in town. He plays the same set everytime! Same 'ol 'Avenue, For an angel, Another Way, and Binary Finary' Come on people, those were last years tunes.

I have to disagree with everyone here, I thought it was a brilliant set last night. I liked it better than last month's 3 year Ann. set.

Tracks of the night -Close my eyes- Kismet

Totally blew us away!

easy

------------------

i thought their set last nite was brilliant. totally agree with that if you want to hear anthems s&d is not the nite. they went totally dark last nite, and set a brilliant mood/vibe with the dark beats. i agree that the trance is getting slim during their sets, but good music is good music, and they certainly dropped some good shit last nite.

------------------

Agreed pOOh. I really liked the stuff Sahsa was spinning, espciall the more techy-sounding hard house. At times though, it did get too dark and boring, but that wasn't the case all night. Lets face it, Trance is dying, well, not hear but over in Europe. All those producers are now jumping on the deep and dark bandwagon. Fortunately, we have the real suff here in NYC anyway by way of Mr. Danny Tenaglia. If you guys want to hear the real thing, go to Vinyl on Fridays. It seems Danny's set a the WMC influenced a great many number of people.

Nestor cool.gif

------------------

Sasha at Roxy? That's definitely not true because he will be spinning at Club Abyss for now on every last Friday of the month and be at DJ's in Belmar for happy hour on Saturday's. Thought I would clarify that to you! Oh and by the way PVD is no longer spinning at TWILO!

------------------

i was joking around about sasha playing at the roxy. and if pvd is not coming back to twilo why did their most recent email from like 2 days ago say he's gonna be there in July?

------------------

bro i think you need to roll, or get laid or something so you wouldnt be so fuckin uptight. grow the fuck up its people voicing opinions. and you can take that and 'i'm more knowledgible than you and i can dance better than you' attitude and stick it up your ass.

------------------

[This message has been edited by p00h (edited 05-28-2000).]

I believe Diggers has been playing "flash" as well now too. Diggers and DT have been trading styles now which is cool. Trance is on the way out people, its gone commercial, and lost that underground feel. I never was on the trance wagon but why would you want to hear that same melodic synth thing all night? Thats what commercial places play now. Tech house is coming! (been here actually!) I think the whole scene is moving more into dark house and techy stuff. People dont want the cheese anymore. If S & D arent there, go check out Danny Tenaglia and vinyl and see where house is right now, amazingly refreshing compared to all the europop trance everyone is playing at the other clubs. Whats the point of going to a bunch of different clubs with different dj's playing the same stuff? Thats not a DJ, its a jukebox. Respect to S & D for keeping the music fresh, appreciate it people!

-Adam F

------------------

blkraven,

I suggest moving to Miami. They love that sort of trance thing. That's all they hear down there. George Acosta (puke) is the messiah.

Sorry to say mate, Ferry Corsten, Matt Darey and Tiesto are producing some grade A cheese material lately. They may have been the bomb a year or 2 ago, but that sound has moved on into different realms.

Nowadays, when I go clubbing. I don't want to hear the same tracks over and over. I want to hear some shit that I've never heard of. Sasha & Diggers are a prime example.

Just to let you know, Quivver, Dave Seaman, aren't playing trance anymore. You'll see on June 9th. Straight up progressive house on the quality tip.

------------------

chill you all. Yes, Sasha and Digweed left early to play at Homelands in the UK. I spoke with Mike Binera(Twilo Manager) and he told me that. Also, they are now charging $35 for S&D parties as well as PVD. Mike said "we are going to charge $35 for the big parties b/c we want to give people who are willing to pay that amount a better, higher quality party". There is some truth to that but I also think that Twilo mgmt forsees people paying whatever is necessary to see these dj's. I hope that it does deter some of the crowd so us peeps who have been going for years can DANCE DANCE DANCE

------------------

Guest blckraven

Considering that most people who go to Twilo are rolling their faces off. They would not be able to tell the difference between good music and crap. Remember it is a matter of taste and preference. I love the music that PVD spins. He may spin Avenue or For An Angel who cares! These are and will always be brilliant tunes!!

Now as far as Trance is dying - that is complete shit! Trance is not dying. There are so many new progressive tracks out there. I should know. I have dozens upon dozens of live set from Pvd, Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Matt Hardwick, Scott Bond, Guy Ornadel, Seb Fontaine . . . need I go on? The way I see it, New Yorkers love House music and Progressive House is closest thing to it. Much easier to dance to.

I've heard a lot of people complain that PVD spins too fast, or that trance itself is too fast. Is it my fault that most of you can't dance?! I have been to a lot of parties and clubs and let's face it . . . a lot of you just can't dance. Sorry, but the truth does hurt.

Besides if most of you are rolling so hard that it could be Funk Master Flex up there and most would not give a shit !!!!

Trance is alive and well and I hope it goes back to being the underground music where true trance-heads will appreciate the beauty of it.

Most of you are not evolved enough to understand it! When was the last time that most of you danced 8 - 10 hours completely clean? I thought so!

Have you ever got chills running down your spine just by listening to melodic trance and wanted to dance around in public - day or night?

Don't get me wrong, I still love Sasha . . . after all it was he who made me fall in love with trance, but I just can't bring myself to appreciate the music that he is creating now. I am after all a VERY true trance-head.

As far as PVD not spinning at Twilo, I doubt that. And I will continue to doubt that until he changes the info on his site. And if he does stop spinning at Twilo, then I'll just follow him to the next venue, wherever that may be.

Needless to say this was my last Sasha! After 26 straight S&D parties, I'm hanging up my dancing shoes (New Balance of course) . . . I will seek trance elsewhere ie: Dave Seaman , PVD, Quivver etc. -- all at Twilo!

As long as there is Gatecrasher, Cream, or Ibiza. There will always be TRANCE somewhere in the world and I shall be there!

I have seen no other style of music that has magaged to make people cry, laugh, scream, jump and express themselves in the way that Trance has.

Trance is the most beautiful music -- peaceful and exciting all at the same time. It's the only music that can bring you to the highest level of rolling that I have seen. And I know there are a lot of you who will agree with me. You know who you are!

BlckRaven (Just telling it like it is.)

------------------

I think Twilo is charging $35 because all of it's parties featuring big names will soon see low attendance numbers. Friday night I saw many people that looked bored and probably won't be back. This is the first time I've been at Twilo in about 6 months so I don't know how there other nights are doing. But when a club begins to charge ridiculously high prices, it's because the end is near. Same thing happened to Limelight and Carbon. I could be wrong, though.

Nestor cool.gif

Originally posted by timdog:

chill you all. Yes, Sasha and Digweed left early to play at Homelands in the UK. I spoke with Mike Binera(Twilo Manager) and he told me that. Also, they are now charging $35 for S&D parties as well as PVD. Mike said "we are going to charge $35 for the big parties b/c we want to give people who are willing to pay that amount a better, higher quality party". There is some truth to that but I also think that Twilo mgmt forsees people paying whatever is necessary to see these dj's. I hope that it does deter some of the crowd so us peeps who have been going for years can DANCE DANCE DANCE

------------------

I agree with a lot of what everyone is saying except that trance is dying ... sorry but it's very ALIVE!

I love Seaman and all the progressive house he spins ... he spins a lot of deep house too - also excellent! smile.gif

I'm not saying that all i want to hear is trance ... i don't think anyone was saying that. I love a mixture of tech-house, trance, progressive, and hardhouse ... vocal-house too! smile.gif

All the trance-heads come out to defend their music when people say trance is dead or dying ... that's all!

I'm with BlueAngel all the way ... Corsten, Tiesto, and Lange ... all sweet uplifting sounds! The deeper, darker sound is good too, but i just don't want to hear it all the time!!!!!! smile.gif

PEACE

Rally2000 biggrin.gif

------------------

anyone who thinks trance is dying was obviously not at PVD a couple of weeks ago or if they were, they weren't paying attention. i never saw so much energy at a club at 8:30 in the morning. it seemed as if almost no one had left. i love going to S&D but i think these days, PVD is the best thing twilo has going for it.

and if $35 keeps some of the crowd away and makes it easier for me to enjoy myself then i'm all for it.

my $0.02.

------------------

Yet again, Twilo gouged the public and changed the <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank">guest list</A> at their whim. How generous they think they are by telling you only one of the 2 people on the list is a comp (when you know for a fact they're lying) but they'll give you the reduced admission. $30 instead of $35. How sweet. Keep it Twilo.

Obviously your greed is more important than treating the people that support you properly. Self respecting clubbers should stand up, speak out and stop paying. It's not worth it.

------------------

Rally2000, ABSOLUTELY!!! I agree with you 200%. We're not saying that progressive trance is ALL we want to hear. The best DJs are the ones that know how to mix everything . . . needless to say like PVD!

Best example is Scott Bond at Gatecrasher in Sydney, Australia. The man was totally awesome!! Going from tech house to progressive trance to deep house to drum and bass to progressive trance again!! AWESOME!! Now, that's what makes a DJ!! Anybody can take the same two beat and mix it all night long.

And I also agree with Glide. PVD is the BEST thing that Twilo has these days. And he proves it everytime he's there.

BlueAngel

Originally posted by rally2000:

I agree with a lot of what everyone is saying except that trance is dying ... sorry but it's very ALIVE!

I love Seaman and all the progressive house he spins ... he spins a lot of deep house too - also excellent! smile.gif

I'm not saying that all i want to hear is trance ... i don't think anyone was saying that. I love a mixture of tech-house, trance, progressive, and hardhouse ... vocal-house too! smile.gif

All the trance-heads come out to defend their music when people say trance is dead or dying ... that's all!

I'm with BlueAngel all the way ... Corsten, Tiesto, and Lange ... all sweet uplifting sounds! The deeper, darker sound is good too, but i just don't want to hear it all the time!!!!!! smile.gif

PEACE

Rally2000 biggrin.gif

------------------

Music is the language of souls . . .

Amen Adam! You hit it right on the nose.

Nestor cool.gif

Originally posted by atf104:

I believe Diggers has been playing "flash" as well now too. Diggers and DT have been trading styles now which is cool. Trance is on the way out people, its gone commercial, and lost that underground feel. I never was on the trance wagon but why would you want to hear that same melodic synth thing all night? Thats what commercial places play now. Tech house is coming! (been here actually!) I think the whole scene is moving more into dark house and techy stuff. People dont want the cheese anymore. If S & D arent there, go check out Danny Tenaglia and vinyl and see where house is right now, amazingly refreshing compared to all the europop trance everyone is playing at the other clubs. Whats the point of going to a bunch of different clubs with different dj's playing the same stuff? Thats not a DJ, its a jukebox. Respect to S & D for keeping the music fresh, appreciate it people!

-Adam F

------------------

Amen Adam! You hit it right on the nose.

Nestor cool.gif

Originally posted by atf104:

-Adam F

------------------