ME report on Twilo death

crommy

This is from Monday's NY Times:

MANHATTAN: CLUB DEATH RULED OVERDOSE -- The death of a student who collapsed

at a Chelsea nightclub in July resulted from an overdose of the drug Ecstasy,

the city's medical examiner has ruled. The student, James Wiest, 21, who was

visiting New York from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, had been at the

club Twilo when he lost consciousness and died a few hours later. Mr. Wiest was

the second young person in recent years whose death has been linked to the club,

a former warehouse at 530 West 27th Street that the city has been trying to shut

down. Eun Lee Koh (NYT)

Originally posted by misskittie:

BULLSHIT! This is sooo ludicrous and not possible!

heat exhaustion causing one to faint, become unconscious is very possible though, a result of taking e. think about it, e raises your body temp anyway, then you go out dancing all night in a hot club, the e could have fatigued him to the point where he went unconscious...i do not think e kills anybody directly, but by raising the temperature of your body, you can definitely risk heat exhaustion, which can kill you if you don't take care of yourself

I dotn remember where exactly I read it but it was one of the ecstacy websites. You cant die from an overdose of e...so it says. Unless it was like 70 pure pills of mdma. I can be wrong but it was either on dancesafe.org or another site which I cant remember. Like erowid.com?

But why did it take soo long for them to release this autopsy anyway???

------------------

Disco-02.gif

There's an old Irish saying -- 'there are no strangers, just friends who haven't met' -- so, until we meet, may peace and plenty rain down upon your head.

I dotn remember where exactly I read it but it was one of the ecstacy websites. You cant die from an overdose of e...so it says. Unless it was like 70 pure pills of mdma. I can be wrong but it was either on dancesafe.org or another site which I cant remember. Like erowid.com?

ignorance is bliss!! ...you should learn a little more about the substances you put in your body before you end up the same way.

------------------

signature.gif

check out your source, misskittie, an ecstacy website? though they are going to be as factual as possible, they may not dive into all the facts, ignore some, or downplay others. i agree with you, i do not think e kills anybody directly, more the effects like dehydration, heat exhaustion, etc. just cuz and e site says it doenst happen, doesnt necessarily mean they are correct. just like watching the news, you cant believe everything you hear. do you believe every doctor, newsman that says e can kill you...no, why?

i don't want to sound cold ... but you can die from it ... you don't know what is in that pill you swallow ... it's just very rare to see this.

and they don't have to release any autopsy - it's a private examination in any death where the cause is not known.

It's really an issue for the family of the deceased.

------------------

Rally

there is an after-life

Originally posted by nycedee:

check out your source, misskittie, an ecstacy website? though they are going to be as factual as possible, they may not dive into all the facts, ignore some, or downplay others. i agree with you, i do not think e kills anybody directly, more the effects like dehydration, heat exhaustion, etc. just cuz and e site says it doenst happen, doesnt necessarily mean they are correct. just like watching the news, you cant believe everything you hear. do you believe every doctor, newsman that says e can kill you...no, why?

sorry - i hate to get technical on your ass ... but the immediate cause of death is due to the pill my friend ... without the pill the other factors never come to be.

yes - a hot sweaty club will further the heat exhaustion/dehydration, but the pill is the initial cause of this chain reaction ...

------------------

Rally

there is an after-life

Maybe it is possible. I dont know everything about the pill but you rarely hear about a death from e. Thats basically all. Mixing, that can cause you to die I bet.

As for knowing about the drugs I put in my body, I dont roll very often at all. Definately not every weekend like many people. And if I do take a pill, I take half...if that sometimes. Just to get me moving and I make sure to rest and drink water.

------------------

Disco-02.gif

There's an old Irish saying -- 'there are no strangers, just friends who haven't met' -- so, until we meet, may peace and plenty rain down upon your head.

Originally posted by rally2000:

sorry - i hate to get technical on your ass ... but the immediate cause of death is due to the pill my friend ... without the pill the other factors never come to be.

yes - a hot sweaty club will further the heat exhaustion/dehydration, but the pill is the initial cause of this chain reaction ...

i disagree with it being the pill as the immediate cause...

you're right, to use your words, the pill is the initial cause, which leads to the other problems like dehydration, heat exhaustion. BUT, to use other drugs for an example: if you take too much coke, crack, heroin, you can die from an OD right away. if you take too many pills, you may puke, but you won't die immediately. This guy who died, didnt die immediately, but after some time in the club, after hours of dancing.

i agree - it's very rare - that's what i wrote earlier ... but if you don't know what you're putting inside of you then ...

mixing is a huge problem and a big cause also ... but you never know how your body will react to any type of pill ...

be safe - be careful

------------------

Rally

there is an after-life

Originally posted by nycedee:

i disagree with it being the pill as the immediate cause...

you're right, to use your words, the pill is the initial cause, which leads to the other problems like dehydration, heat exhaustion. BUT, to use other drugs for an example: if you take too much coke, crack, heroin, you can die from an OD right away. if you take too many pills, you may puke, but you won't die immediately. This guy who died, didnt die immediately, but after some time in the club, after hours of dancing.

i understand what you mean ... but if the ME (an expert in forensic pathology) says the cause is from the pill (that's based on a series of examinations including a Toxicology report) then that's what the cause is ...

yes there are factors which increase the likelihood of death - heat, lack of air in a tight club, etc.

------------------

Rally

there is an after-life

Rally: You go Mr. Attorney biggrin.gif

I agree, the heat exhastion, dancing all night, etc can lead to death when rolling. Yes people mix all kinds of shit and can be stupid, but like it was said, you don't know what your putting in your body when you pop that pill!

And if that's what the autopsy said, then that's what it is!

Did anyone take into consideration that "E" is an amphetamine-like substance? Who knows, maybe the deceased had heart problems that he was unaware of. If that's the case, it wouldn't take much.

Unfortunately, I'm not a proponent of "E" since my roommate lost her brother to the drug back in 92.

-Jenny

I hate to be cynical but sometimes they blame it on something (like drugs) when they don't have any other clues as to why this person died. I mean, drugs are bad so if this person died, it must have been the drugs. Easy conclusion but I'm not sure if it's always accurate. I guess it depends on how thorough and honest the ME's are.

"Mr. Wiest was

the second young person in recent years whose death has been linked to the club"

--they've got to be kidding. only 2 deaths in 2+ years and this is considered a problem?! people will always exhibit poor judgement, no matter what the environment. if he died in a McDonalds, the city wouldn't be trying to shut all fast food chains down. for the love of god! this is just too stupid for me to tolerate!

the first thing to come to mind:

"it ain't eazy bein greazy in a world full of cleanliness and good"

oh, toss it all.

FG

------------------

"I have only one burning desire...let me stand next to your Fire..."

LOL. pOOH, I was just about to say the same exact thing!!

People, you can't always believe what you hear, see, or read from the media.

BlueAngel

------------------

"· Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."

- Henry David Thoreau

angel.gif

i never heard of a death from an E overdose either. . . but I guess anything is possible. I dont know how many pills could do it,but i have friends who have taken up to 20 in a night, and are still alive and well. Maybe his pill wasnt pure MDMA. cwm34.gifcwm36.gif

------------------

~The poor long for Riches,

The rich long for Heaven,

But the wise desire Tranquility.~

Originally posted by p00h:

to believe that just cause the medical examiner said it was e, it has to be true, is highly naive. anyone hear of a word called 'PROPAGANDA'?

first - i didn't say that it HAS to be true ... but to question a medical examiner's report re: COD - just because you are a paranoid boy with propaganda-phobia is unfair.

no - you're right - the ME's office is in a conspiracy to help the mayor close Twilo ... and they have fabricated a cause of death - damaged the poor family of the deceased ... ruined the reputation of the victim ... all to close Twilo!

which is still open!!! if there was a conspiracy this wouldn't be it bro - sorry - wake the fuck up - smell the coffee and get over yourself!

"they" could make up anything about twilo - make up that drugs are stored there - something that would really shut the place down - not a fabricated cause of death!

forget the fact that the report corroborates witness accounts ... the victim was using drugs. I could go into more detail but out of respect for the family i think i should stop.

peace to you poohboy

------------------

Rally

there is an after-life