Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Eddie Baez-anyone left that is still a fan?

OK,

I was a big Eddie diciple not too long ago, and I have met him many times and he is a modest, and really approachable guy....BUT---he has been off of his game of late, and no one in NY seems to give a shit about him anymore. I remember that when JV "re-opened" the Tunnel, they brought back Eddie for another round of Evolution Fridays..... but literally no-one went. WHy? I remember Tunnel fridays being the best party in the city. I go to school in DC, and he comes down every couple of months and just does not sound the same.. I have no explanation as to why. THEN, I pick up his CD, which is not bad, but is all vocals, and will not help his flailing reputation. Is he going down because he is kind of pigeonholed into that brassy old school house sound? FINALLY, I know that he started up Roxy but is not there anymore, but that he is supposed to start a residency at fucking Webster Hall????!!!! Can anyone offer their views on Eddie, and if they are interested in him anymore please? I am a big fan of his, and I am just curious to hear how he went from being one of the top 5 in NYC to wherever the hell he is now...gracias-de el Cubano

1) Eddie Baez was the original Sound Factory resident til JP came in.

It was Eddie on Saturday nites then JP on Friday nites. Then he lost that -ever since then he's been drifting -

How does a former SF resident go to places like Hunka Bunka ? Yuck !

Who knows - maybe he's not happy in NYC clubs ..

Tell your very reliable source that he hasnt touched it in a few months and is producing more stuff right now that will be released in 01 then any other nyc area producer right now

Rumours are so retarted already on this board dude

Maybe he has not touched it in months, but it may be to little to late. It's a shame to because for a while, he had NY in the palm of his hand.

------------------

JUST `CAUSE YOU POUR SYRUP ON SHIT,

THAT DON'T MAKE IT PANCAKES!

hey,

These are great comments. I think that he did do a lot of K, I saw him all fucked up at a club in DC, to the point that he could barely mix the records. I also heard that he stopped, and he told me that he is learning how to play the piano,.. so I guess that he is getting into production.

Insofar as his reputation in NY, it sounds to me like he has basically been replaced by Tony Draper to quench the thirst for that genre of music. Everone that went to Tunnel now goes to Exit, and the music is practically the same. I don't know where he can go to pick up again, b/c Tunnel is deader than shit, he already did Exit, obviously Twilo and SF won't take him,.. although I think that he could probably blow up SF fridays... where can he go? If he goes to Webster Hall like I hear that he might do, then you can pretty much declare his reputation among the citizens of clubland to be permanently compromised, if it isn't already.

my .02

Good CAll on the SF friday thing...Eddie would draw a good crowd & prolly (help) turn SF fridays around....

------------------

Jewel Promotions invites you to CHECK OUT NYC's Newest PROGRESSIVE party SATURDAYS at WEBSTER HALL....

FOR GUESTLIST/REDUCED ADMISSION/INFO e-mail:

jewelz917@yahoo.com or mention the "Jewel" list at the door.

"NOT THE WEBSTER HALL GRANDMA USED TO GO TO"

it's not a rumor. Eddie used to get K from the same person I did, and believe me he had a special thing for it. yes, he did went to rehab, about 2 months ago...but like somebody said it. "it may be too late"

L

ps. if you are a Khead, you become a Khead for life---from my own experience.

[This message has been edited by shustudent (edited 01-01-2001).]

aww...you guys, enough already. it's <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/newyearseve/">new years</a> ...if you don't like his music anymore-fine; but it so unecessary to conversate his personal business on a public board. and not for nothing, but if any of you truely call yourself "a fan" you shouldn't be doing him like this now--have more loyalty than that.

I went to Hunka Bunka last week mainly to hear him, and I left pretty disappointed. It wasnt that he was bad, but it just seemed boring. Too much tribal stuff. The thing is, I dont know if it was him or the the club's vibe in general that I didnt like. Its hard to tell if their sound system is bad or if Eddie was just pumpin it too hard, but the highs were ear-piercing. Overall, not such a great experience.

BG

------------------

ruhardhouse@yahoo.com

IBclubbin@aol.com

email for gig info

Originally posted by bassboy:

OK,

Can anyone offer their views on Eddie, and if they are interested in him anymore please? I am a big fan of his, and I am just curious to hear how he went from being one of the top 5 in NYC to wherever the hell he is now...gracias-de el Cubano

Coming from the perspective of a DJ. I will sum up for you probably how Eddie feels. When you go from being on top of the NYC club scene, you are basically on top of the world. When you are "next to nothing", after being above the clouds as a DJ, you feel like shit. You don't give a rats ass about your music, etc etc so on and so forth.

Eddie Baez is a great DJ. He just needs to find a place that will welcome him. He left SF because of the bullshit politics that plauge the NYC Club Scene. He even said it in an interview that I read once. EXIT fucked him...everybody knows that. And the Tunnel...well there's more corrupt club politics there too. I think it's just his bad luck. It was a shame that things didn't work out for ROXY Fridays. That party had so much potential. Thank the promoters again for that one. Maybe he could do well for SF Fridays, or maybe another possibilty for him to excel at is my favorite NYC Club...Cheetah??

------------------

Upcoming Gigs...

Fri Dec 29th - Sequoia (South Street Seaport)

Sun Dec 31st - The Tribeca Rooftop

(www.tribec.com)

Email-DJSuhel@aol.com

AIM - DJSuhel

Ok,

I agree with your point that he got fucked by the club politics, b/c anyone that knows him, knows that he is not the least bit of a ruthless guy. SF crowned him, Tunnel kept him at the razor's edge of the scence, and exit is the 2nd most commercial club in the city next to Webster Hall. Eddie's luck does suck, because were Tunnel not shut down 11/2 years ago as much as it was, the best party in the city would still be at Tunnel fridays.

Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe the reason Eddie hasn't been spinning as much is because he had been working on a full length album, which is not a two day task. Eddie is still and always will be a great DJ, and a really nice guy.

Stop bashing him... if you must bash there are many others who deserve it more...

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

Fridays - Cream, NYC

12/6 - Arena, ALbany NY

1/13 - Slopes, Hunter Mountain

1/19 - NAMM, Los Angeles

Sat Jan. 20th - 92.7 & 98.5 FM 3-5am

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

Originally posted by tomphilly:

Eddie came to visit us Philly Kids last Thurs, he did a pretty darn good job, big turnout also (Shampoo Nightclub). He is a cool guy, I thought his cd was good. And what's wrong with K? geesh

OOOOOOOOOH shampoo huh? listen, im sorry to inform you but shampoo isnt the most credible spot. It's very commercial, and their taste in music is second rate. I mean, FUCKING CHUCK ADDIS IS STILL THERE!! That guy IS NOT a dj, and they should have realized that a looooooooong time ago. He wouldnt know good music if you shoved it in his face.

But anyway, not to take anything away from everyone else's opinions, but yes, you can be busy working on another album, but that doesn't mean you change your style and lose your followers.

Plain and simple, Mr. Baez style has changed. He plays more vocals, and he went away from the deep, dark, bloodthirsty house that he was legendary for in the mid to late 90's. Now, we definitly can't bash him for that, because people's tastes change all the time, and so his taste must have changed.

Remember DJ Basil? He used to do Red Zone, the old SF, Nell's, and a bunch of other spots in the early 90's. Now he was a great house DJ back in the days, but recently he has been interested in getting into salsa and more latin beats. That doesn't mean he sucks, it just means that his interests have changed. That might dissapoint and piss off some people, but you can't lose respect for him. Same goes with Baez.

------------------

blast.gif MEGA HIGHMZ x4armor.art

AOL: Highmay9

Napster: Jayme

Russ..who is bashing him?

I agree that you can't lose respect for someone just because they change their style. I don't think that anyone here is bashing him directly anyway. Secondly, out of all of the replies in this thread, how many people here have pointed out how great his personality is. I have done this most of all. Unfortunately that is not the issue, and by becoming a public figure(which you are trying to do as well Russ), you are automatically subjecting yourself to the public criticism that comes with such postion. John Digweed's attorney doesn't come out in his defense when people think that one of his albums suck. Thirdly, Yes, he was busy as hell putting his LOgic CD together, but that is by no means an excuse for his tragic fall from fame. By engaging himself in such a demanding project, he should have weighed the effect that his absence from the scene would have had on his popularity. And Finally, I am a tremendous fan of his, and did not start this thread by any means to bash Eddie. I am merely disappointed in what he has been up to lately to a great degree, and I think that by being someone who paid 25$ a week to hear him play that I have earned that right. How can you disagree with that?

Russ..who is bashing him?

I agree that you can't lose respect for someone just because they change their style. I don't think that anyone here is bashing him directly anyway. Secondly, out of all of the replies in this thread, how many people here have pointed out how great his personality is. I have done this most of all. Unfortunately that is not the issue, and by becoming a public figure(which you are trying to do as well Russ), you are automatically subjecting yourself to the public criticism that comes with such postion. John Digweed's attorney doesn't come out in his defense when people think that one of his albums suck. Thirdly, Yes, he was busy as hell putting his LOgic CD together, but that is by no means an excuse for his tragic fall from fame. By engaging himself in such a demanding project, he should have weighed the effect that his absence from the scene would have had on his popularity. And Finally, I am a tremendous fan of his, and did not start this thread by any means to bash Eddie. I am merely disappointed in what he has been up to lately to a great degree, and I think that by being someone who paid 25$ a week to hear him play that I have earned that right. How can you disagree with that?