Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What you all going to do with your tax rebate?

Ha! What tax refund? I think I'm the only 24 year old who didn't get a refund. Partially, it's because I claimed single and 2 dependants like a jackass but whatever! I just handed over LOTS O' $$$ the gov't this year.

2 months later, it still hurts. frown.gif

------------------

You're only young once

sa1300.jpg

i'm gonna spend $9.99 on a hammer. The rest on a flight to chicago and a nice suite at the house of blues. Then I'm gonna hunt you down and bash your brains in with the hammer I bought...

------------------

TKWIWBTDKWIWTJSWTF

Dale we should all be getting em, for this tax cut that was passed.

$300-$600

They are starting to send them out this month is the last two digits of your social is 1-20 then you get your first.

pOOh, you wouldn't do that to me... just think who would sort out yuor stash in Ibiza?

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

Originally posted by back2basics-:

Dale we should all be getting em, for this tax cut that was passed.

$300-$600

They are starting to send them out this month is the last two digits of your social is 1-20 then you get your first.

This is what happens when you stop reading the newspaper b/c it's too depressing....you miss out on all the good info!

I have no fucking clue as to what you're talking about! LOL. I should probably stop posting on CP and check out www.cnn.com a bit more often, huh?

------------------

You're only young once

sa1300.jpg

Originally posted by tastyt:

B2B, are checks only going out to people who didn't get refunds, or to everyone who filed???

Anyways I spent my refund about 4 months ago.

Yeh to everybody who pays taxes.

------------------

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

Let's see,I just mailed my 1999 tax return,had it in my draw sealed and stamped.I hav'nt filed for 2000 yet.The IRS owe me money for 1999 return,as for 2000 I'll file the freakin thing around Christmas.

IRS and I have personal hate relationship with each other.

------------------

13 wild years of Junior Vasquez!!! DROP A HOUSE ON THAT BITCH!!!

Now don't rip me, but I am an accountant and from what I have heard you are only getting a refund if you had to pay when you filed your taxes this year. Not if you got a refund alreay. So if you got a refund when you filed this year you will not be receiving a check, but if you had to pay when you filed they will be figuring on a pro rata basis how much of the $300 - 600 you will be getting back....

Originally posted by prplhz:

Now don't rip me, but I am an accountant and from what I have heard you are only getting a refund if you had to pay when you filed your taxes this year. Not if you got a refund alreay. So if you got a refund when you filed this year you will not be receiving a check, but if you had to pay when you filed they will be figuring on a pro rata basis how much of the $300 - 600 you will be getting back....

No i we all payed taxes, wether you payed too much or two little has little to do with it. It's how much you payed in total, surley?

------------------

b2b6.GIF

If you receieve a refund from the fed gov't...you will not get a tax rebate. ONLY if you paid taxes without any refund.

Sucks.

-Oo

------------------

ooana.gif

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"I heard of a man that says words so beautifuly that if he only speaks their name, women give themselves to him.

If I am dumb by your body while silence blossoms like tumors on our lips it is because I hear a man climb the stairs and clear his throat outside our door." - Leonard Cohen

spent it back in march, used it in cancun...ohhh the memories

------------------

Storm-01.gifI'm in the business of stealing DJs's thunder. I robbed D.T. and Oakie already; can you guess who's next on my list?

AOLIMER: glowsticks8

EMAIL: nickantivachis@netzero.net

Here's how you work it out, EVEN if you got a rebate you will still get it. Because it's to do with the amount you can earn before getting taxed, and has nothing tio do with if you paid too much or too little tax.

$300 for single people

$600 if your married.

$0 if you a student or non-resident alein (Boa_boy won't be getting shit wink.gif)

Wondering whether--or when--you'll get a check? Here's a guide to how the massive refund program will work.

Question: Who gets a refund?

Answer: If you paid federal income tax in 2000--or owed federal income tax before accounting for the earned income tax credit--you are due a check.

These checks are the result of a new 10% income tax bracket, which applies to the first $6,000 in income for singles, $10,000 for heads of households and $12,000 for married couples filing jointly. That rate cut is retroactive to the beginning of 2001, so the government is giving you the 5% difference between the old 15% rate and the new 10% tax rate by way of a rebate check.

Although the checks technically are an advance refund of tax overpayments that you're sure to make this year--given the higher tax rates that were in effect before the tax cut was passed last month--the checks are based on last year's tax rolls.

That means some people who retired or lost their jobs this year will get refunds they didn't earn, thanks to taxable income they reported in 2000. But former students, homemakers and others who reported little or no income in 2000 may not get checks because they didn't make enough money last year to qualify.

Q: How much will I receive?

A: The amount of your check should equal the lesser of 5% of your 2000 taxable income or $300 if you're single; $500 if you file as a head of household; or $600 if you're married and file a joint tax return.

The IRS estimates that about 95 million of the nation's roughly 125 million taxpayers will qualify.

Q: How about an example?

A: Let's say you're single and earned $12,000 last year. After subtracting the standard deduction and personal exemptions in effect at that time, you had taxable income of $4,800. You'd get 5% of that, or $240. If you earned $20,000 and had taxable income of $12,800, you'd get $300. That's because 5% of your taxable income would amount to $640, but you get the lesser of that, or $300, based on your single filing status.

Q: Who is not eligible to get a refund check?

A: Individuals who were claimed as dependents in 2000, such as students who are working but being largely supported by their parents; nonresident aliens--people who may work in the United States but aren't permanent residents; and those who paid no income tax last year, before accounting for the earned income tax credit.

Q: Is there any other reason why I might not get a refund check?

A: Yes. If you owe back taxes, are in default on a student loan or are behind in your child support payments, the federal government can subtract your past-due obligation from your check. If this happens, you should get a letter from the government, which will explain the discrepancy.

Q: What if I paid no tax solely because of the earned income tax credit? Would I get a refund?

A: Probably. Pull out a copy of your 2000 return and look at line 51--your taxable income after all nonrefundable tax credits. If the number on that line is greater than zero, you get a refund, according to the IRS. If it is zero or negative, you'll be among the roughly one-quarter of taxpayers who are left out of the government's rebate program because you paid no tax in 2000.

Q: If this is a rebate of 2001 taxes, why is it based on my 2000 tax return?

A: Congress was eager to give people some cash to spend, which will presumably boost the economy. So lawmakers had to use the most recent taxpayer information they had available, and that's 2000 tax returns.

Q: What if I did not have earned income last year, but I do this year? Is there a way to get a refund based on my 2001 income?

A: Remember that everyone who is entitled to a refund will get something, somehow. In this case, you'll get the benefit of the tax rate reduction, but not through a rebate check. You have two options when it comes to claiming your money: You can wait until you file your 2001 tax return, at which point your tax bill will be reduced. Or you can try to get the money by reducing your tax withholding.

If you decide to reduce your withholding, you'll need to fill out a form with your employer to reduce the amount of income tax that's taken out of each paycheck. Your employee benefits representative can tell you how. That will give you more spending money--in the neighborhood of $20 to $40 a paycheck--because you're paying less federal income tax.

Q: What if I had taxable income last year, but I won't this year? Will I have to pay back the refund money?

A: No. The law specifically says you won't have to give back any money--even if the government pays you more than you're entitled to.

Q: When can I expect to get a check?

A: The IRS will start sending checks in mid-July and continue through September. There are two factors that determine when you'll get your check: your Social Security number and whether or not you've filed your 2000 tax return.

If you've filed a return, your check will be sent based on the last two digits of your Social Security number, with the lowest numbers getting the first checks.

If you've filed a joint return, the refund timing will depend on the last two numbers of the Social Security number that's listed first on your tax return.

Q: What if I haven't filed a return yet?

A: Get cracking. Although individuals with extensions have until Aug. 15 to file their returns, you can always file sooner. And the sooner you file, the quicker you get your check.

Q: What do I do if I haven't received a check by October?

A: Unless you moved and failed to provide the post office with a change of address form, you should receive a check by the first week in October--at the latest. If you haven't, call the IRS at (800) TAX-1040.

------------------

b2b6.GIF

Originally posted by spragga25:

See folks, it's just the Republicans sticking it up middle America's poopers again. Only the rich will get a refund because they pay the majority of federal taxes

actually, its the total opposite. the amount of money means little to the rich folks, while the really poor already receiving gov assistance wont get a check. the whole idea of this rebate is bc the repubs are trying to schmooze middle america.

its an interesting gesture by the politcians. however, its only slightly less empty than mere rhetoric. it takes more than returning a few hundred dollars to convince me that any of the power hungry in DC are really concerned about the middle class.

------------------

i love music!

Originally posted by tastyt:

Originally posted by back2basics-:

Yeh to everybody who pays taxes.

Kewl! And the last two digits of my SSN are 18!

cwm12.gifcwm30.gifcwm12.gifcwm30.gif

me too tastyt - 300 bucks right in the middle of the summer.. what perfect timing

cwm30.gif

See folks, it's just the Republicans sticking it up middle America's poopers again. Only the rich will get a refund because they pay the majority of federal taxes

------------------

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest!"

"Doubt whom you will, but never yourself."

AIM: Spragga25