Clubplanet Nightlife Community

a question for the ladies

jprutig

about birth control pills...(kinda dull, sorry - but i could really use some info)

do they come in different strengths? or would there be a reason to be on a pill that wasn't as strong as a *normal* pill?

are there other reasons why one would be on the pill other than the obvious birth control reason?

i really appreciate any help. thanks.

i've had the normal* birth control pill and the tri-cyclyn birth control pill. for all i know, both work the same. but they start you off on the normal* b/c they want to see how your body reacts to it.

if you're fine, like no allergic reactions, then they give you the tri-cyclin. well, thats what they told me.

ANNNDDD, yeah, besides from not getting pregnant, birth control pills can also regulate your period. THANK GOD! My flow used to be heavy for 3 days and stop. Now, its like 4/5 medium flows.

hmm, i think thats it.

and just a little tidbit....my boobs got bigger (yesssss) and then they shrank down to their normal size. :(

Basically the way it works, a pill with a higher dose of hormones has more side effects. However, if you take a pill with a lower dose, you have to be *super* careful about taking them at the same time everyday. I'm on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, I don't know what level of hormones it contains, prob. somewhere in between.

Other reasons someone might want to take the pill. Well one thing about Ortho-Tri-Cyclen is that it's good if you have moderate acne. Looking at old pix my skin was pretty bad, it's mostly clear now. The main thing though would be to regulate your period. It's very regular when you're on the pill. If you start taking the pill on a Sunday, normally you will get your period on Tuesday of week 4. Also it's much lighter, with much less cramping.

thanks guys, i appreciate you shedding some light on it.

i have another question then - as far as you know, are all these types of pills equally effective?

i ask because i slept with a girl who was rather cautious about whether or not i pulled out. now that she's nervous, it's got me a bit nervous. but my thinking is that 'why would you be on the pill if it *might* work/not work some of the time/be less effective kind of thing? all pills are equally effective at preventing, no?

thanks again

Originally posted by tastyt

As long as she takes them everyday, at roughly the same time everyday they're all equally effective.

If she's that worried she should talk to her doctor.

tastyt::: can i be nosey and ask how old u r? cuz u always seem to be very knowledgable about everything on these boards and i always love reading what u have to say :D

Originally posted by linabina

tastyt::: can i be nosey and ask how old u r? cuz u always seem to be very knowledgable about everything on these boards and i always love reading what u have to say :D

I'm 26.

And- MUAH! Thanks doll. :heart::love:

Oral contraceptives can also be taken to decrease pain from endometriosis. There are pills that contain progesterone only for those extremely sensitive to estrogen. The failure rate for those pills is a bit higher but still less than condoms,diaphragms,spermacides, etc.

Different pills contain variations on the "brand name" of the estrogen and progesterone they contain. A midwife recently told me the only reason the drug manufacturers make new pills every few years is to keep prices high. (as new pills are under patent and no generic can be made)

another thing to consider is that the effectiveness of the birth control pills can be affected by other medications...for example, antibiotics can make your birth control pills less effective, so it's important to have a back-up plan in case you're in the mood for romancing...plus it's important to know what to do if you accidentally skip a day...

:heart: