Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An Introductory Lesson to Club Vinyl

It seems the amateurs of the board don't understand the impact and culture Vinyl attains and honors. I'll try and explain as much as I know to you as possible.

Vinyl is a nightclub that provides a direct link to the past. Its layout, DJ's, and parties are what top quality New York Underground should be.

The layout is very simple. A dancefloor, a non-alcoholic bar in the back, along with a VIP room (that you can get into as long as you claim it early enough), a chill out area with no music and lots of couches, coat check, and the DJ booth. It's image, though, is underground, or as some of the ignorant ones like to call it, dirty. There aren't really any decorations or anything makes the club look posh in any way. You are only there for one reason: the music.

The sound system is effective. Not amazing, but crisp, clean, and loud. You'll be able to have fun and not get annoyed at the system.

Now for the parties. Be Yourself is the Friday party, with Danny Tenaglia at the helm. His attitude towards everything is that people are people and everyone wants to have fun. That is this party's function. You don't come to rate what kind of bag some chick has, or how that musclehead's stubble annoyed you. No. He won't have any of that. People come in as casual as they can, and all types of people come here, from punk rockers to goths to models. They're all there to have fun, nothing more, nothing less.

IF YOU CAN'T HANG LIKE THAT, THEN DON'T COME!

Saturdays is Shelter. To be honest with you, I have no clue what type of party goes on here. All I know is that it's been packed every saturday night since it started.

There is no Sunday night party. There is, however, a Sunday DAY party. It's callled Body and Soul, a mixed party, and the DJ's here are the legends Krivit and Kevorkian. Anyone is invited. Same goes with Saturdays.

So if anyone would like to add, and not subtract, to what I claim here, please come forth and educate the masses. PEACE AND POWER.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i could never wright a paragraph like that!!!

perfect...$$$ again

Shelter on saturday is pretty Phat..

i went a few weeks ago Tony Ridgesford (sp) plays Deep house like souls shit..There are pleanty of Girls and the crowd is cool.

Obviously after hours attracts some odd people..And who cares..we are all there for a good time...

SUPPORT VINY!!!!

We are so Lucky to have DT play in NY!!!!!!!

Originally posted by eviljav666

Obviously after hours attracts some odd people..And who cares..we are all there for a good time...

How late do the afterhours go? Who spins then? Is the style of music the same or does it change?

Originally posted by dw

How late do the afterhours go? Who spins then? Is the style of music the same or does it change?

Tenaglia would spin afterhours...the style of the music changes because he then becomes HARD, DARK, DEEP, and just plain old RELENTLESS. He's definitely in another mindstate when he's dropping those tracks. He would end at around 10 in the morning, maybe longer if he feels like it (remember, he's the best DJ in the world, he could do whatever he wants).

Well said! Yes, though, Vinyl is a dirty little place, the way nightclubs, for the most part, were and should be! It's one of the few remaining places in Manhattan where MUSIC IS (AND ALWAYS WILL BE) THE ANSWER!

With a DJ that brought tracks such as I Feel Loved (Depeche Mode), Finally (Kings of Tomorrow), Revolution (Superchumbo), and Keep Control (Sono) to NY and made them his own... Vinyl is undoubtedly the best example of how clubstyle can still be a PLUR thing. Dannystyle! Not to take away from Junior or JP, or Johnny Vicious, or Victor Calderone, or any other "name" in NYC, Danny is still the innovator. And keep your eye out for JP, he's been known to "be himself" there from time to time ;-)

One of these days, I'll be back haunting the VIP room window!

Other things to know (I was called negative for pointing this out in another thread!)... security is tighter than a lot of clubs in the city - full pat-downs, checking the cigarette pack, etc. at the door. Smoking up WILL get you tossed, 90% of the time. There are eyes and ears all over the place, so be subtle about your services. And expect DT to really get warmed up around 7am! If he's having fun, he might go to noon or so, but usually winds things down 10-10:30. And, lastly, as you step out the yellow door, with the morning sun screaming into your dilated eyes, the answer is NO, it did not snow last night, that's white gravel at the Holland Tunnel exit! LOL, long story....

Another note: Danny is "not so fond" of glowsticks, to put it lightly. He has been known to read people over the mic for dancing with 'em, among other things.

Long live Vinly! And party safe, help keep the "building code enforcement" team away!

BTW: one of the best spots to meet up there is by the bathrooms, bathed in the fluorescent glow, where you can make out faces and outfits.

ichi :rainbow:

Originally posted by highmay

Tenaglia would spin afterhours...the style of the music changes because he then becomes HARD, DARK, DEEP, and just plain old RELENTLESS. He's definitely in another mindstate when he's dropping those tracks. He would end at around 10 in the morning, maybe longer if he feels like it (remember, he's the best DJ in the world, he could do whatever he wants).

I know about Fridays... I was wondering about Saturdays, since it sounded like that post by eviljav was talking about that

its definitely changed. im not complaining, its still a great party...and the SF/Exit girls wearing next to nothing is definitely nice to look at. i just get the feeling that the people there arent there to hear danny, heck, i wouldnt be surprised if most of these people havent ever heard of him, let alone appreciate how incredible of a dj he really is. (one jerkoff even tried to climb into the dj booth for pete's sake!!!!)

i went to body and soul last week and THAT is what vinyl used to be like. 90% gay crowd just dancing till there was no tomorrow. definitely the best vibe ive experienced in a loooong time. the music wasnt my taste (very soulful house), but i still appreciated that EVERYONE was having a great time there. and it was definitely not packed at all.

Originally posted by petp

(one jerkoff even tried to climb into the dj booth for pete's sake!!!!)

i went to body and soul last week and THAT is what vinyl used to be like. 90% gay crowd just dancing till there was no tomorrow. definitely the best vibe ive experienced in a loooong time. the music wasnt my taste (very soulful house), but i still appreciated that EVERYONE was having a great time there. and it was definitely not packed at all.

HEY! I've climbed up there, and I'm no newcomer to the party! Of course, Danny lit me and read me for it, LOL. Ought never do dumb things when the DJ knows ya. ;-)

As for B&S, yeah, that's how Danny's party used to be. :rainbow:

ichi

Originally posted by phuturephunk

What's the glowstick phobia all about?

QUOTE]Another note: Danny is "not so fond" of glowsticks, to put it lightly. He has been known to read people over the mic for dancing with 'em, among other things.

And . .excuse the ignorance . .what does "read" refer to in the above posts . . ???[

Man, I didn't know the cops were THAT insane up here . . .

And speaking of "reading" people. DJ's should never do that, it destroys the party completely and if Danny boy does that, he's forgetting who made him huge in the first place.

Yeah Jackass, you weren't ALWAYS able to command 25K a set, DON'T FORGET IT..

Just for a thought . .

Great post highay!:D I can't wait for this weekend!!!!!:jawdrop:

And phuturephunk, the cops aren't that bad here yet...but why attract them. And "Up here"??? Where are you from....cause I'm pretty sure glowsticks are banned in some clubs in New Orleans and Miami. So.....

Hell yes, I'm all about the music and dancing my little yellow ass off .... on to a more pressing issue:

I've been dying to see the man DT himself for years and I've been seriously considering driving up from Virginia to see him this Friday! Soooo, I just wanted to make sure that he is definitely spinning his usual Friday nite this weekend before I decide anything. I checked out his website but it only had his Ibiza date for Sept.......

Is the cover still $10 all nite?

thanks in advance!

:D

much love,

YG

Originally posted by yellowgirl

Hell yes, I'm all about the music and dancing my little yellow ass off .... on to a more pressing issue:

I've been dying to see the man DT himself for years and I've been seriously considering driving up from Virginia to see him this Friday! Soooo, I just wanted to make sure that he is definitely spinning his usual Friday nite this weekend before I decide anything. I checked out his website but it only had his Ibiza date for Sept.......

Is the cover still $10 all nite?

thanks in advance!

much love,

YG

DT is NOT around this weekend...he's in Ibiza. Loius Diaz is spinning Vinyl Fri. It is still a great weekend at Vinyl though, with Anthony Pappa on Thurs and Danny Howells on Sun.

I'm a big DT fan so lets get past that.

Vinyl in terms of a space...sucks

even DT says the sound system sucks.

monitors don't have limiters so if the DJ is laying down an effect or fading you can get your ears blown out.

Vinyl is a fu*king health hazard. I had a girl throw up on me 2 weeks ago and collapse right on the dance floor. She was ok but the scary part is that security didn't even assist. Too worried about people smoking up or selling or something. I heard they upgraded A/C again this week (I'll find out Thursday), that would be great. BTW, Shelter is def closing after 10 years as of the 15th.

edit- a friend of mine who was there on friday just informed me that DT said they made some adjustments to the sound system and that the A/C was indeed upgraded. nice.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

Man, I didn't know the cops were THAT insane up here . . .

And speaking of "reading" people. DJ's should never do that, it destroys the party completely and if Danny boy does that, he's forgetting who made him huge in the first place.

Yeah Jackass, you weren't ALWAYS able to command 25K a set, DON'T FORGET IT..

Just for a thought . .

Ummm, one of Danny's trademarks is his willingness to get on the mic and say what's on his mind. If you're the target of it (and I have made myself such) it sucks... but it also keeps people mindful of their fellow clubgoer. It's not like he's just picking on people o pick on them, ya gotta be earning a read to get it. He has been doing that since day 1, it's not somehting new or uncommon for him, and it has nothing to do with how much he's earning. He's not perfect in any way, but he is still the best true NYC house DJ to be found.

ichi :rainbow:

I actually love Vinyl and have a lot of fun there, it is a chill enviorment and nobody really bothers you. You can wear whatever you want which is hard to do at any NYC club. The whole reason i go is not only to see my friends from NY but the music definetly is the answer at Vinyl, I think DT is one of the best dj's around, I totally feel his music, i'll get there at 5am and just dance for hours and hours and it never gets boring!~ the word i would use to describe VInLy is Chill. Its not dirty its comfortable, and people complain about the gays in there but they are in any NYC you go to. I would def recommend Friday nights at Vinyl it is off the hook and DT is a GOD! Its worth the $20 and just be careful of all the cops and security walking around.....my advice if your gonna buy drugs buy them from friends!

Ichi...your grace under how much things have changed at Vinyl is wonderful and quite admerable.

I'm glad so many others have discovered Danny's talent and appreciate his music. But I very much miss how the Be Yourself party once was and I wish you guys got to see it.

I will say this though...I'd like to smack whoever decided to sell those I Love Danny Tshirts and Be Yourself underware. Okay yeah, I'm not quite over that one yet ;)

For a small taste of how Be Yourself once was...stay from 7/8 till closing. Everyone dancing, room to dance and an overall 'I'm here for the music not to get fucked up' vibe is how it use to feel. It was unusual to see people talking about drugs when it came to this party..at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing drug use, I'm simply saying, that's not what this party was about and it was a very very nice change of pace for those who just loved the music and they wanted to get just get high on that.

I can say this honestly, despite not having a liquor licence, once upon a time it was honestly rare to see people cracked out there. Now, it seems to be standard. It was a delight. Very very special.

And just for kicks and memories (Shhhh...don't tell anyone about Vinyl ;) )

Your continuing intelligent commentary and insight are a boon to us all in this age of darkness.

-MJR

Originally posted by guccigrlnyc

... and people complain about the gays in there but they are in any NYC you go to... just be careful of all the cops and security walking around.....my advice if your gonna buy drugs buy them from friends!