Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone ever go to http://sfl.8up.com?

blowflyii

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh, it's really only useful if you're into what passes for a rave scene around here. The mailing list is just a bunch of candy rave bullshit and pissed off jungle girls.

Whatever, if you want info on quality entertainment, stick right here.

Originally posted by pod

Ehh, it's really only useful if you're into what passes for a rave scene around here. The mailing list is just a bunch of candy rave bullshit and pissed off jungle girls.

I second that Dan...

Originally posted by pod

Who made you the authority on quality entertainment? Just because you can't get into music from other genre's doesn't mean that someone else can't. Trance DJ's aren't the only sound of electronic dance music. Everyone knows that the rave scene is South Florida has spawned what the club scene is down here now, otherwise we'd still be listening to all that sappy ass South Beach and NYC deep house.

SFL.8up.com is for the hardcore ravers. So what makes you and this messageboard so much better than them????

Originally posted by pod

I made several enemies on that list. All these little jungle kids have me marked for death....shit once they turn 21 I better keep my eyes open.

I don't think you have much to worry about for at least 5 more years....

Originally posted by festivalcre8or

SFL.8up.com is for the hardcore ravers. So what makes you and this messageboard so much better than them????

we have GeorgeAcasta2!!!

and besides that... maturity. And what exactly is a hardcore raver? From what I've seen it means UFO's and blowing up. For them the last set was as good as their last roll. Not that there is anything wrong with that...... but please!

-Happy to be (un)Hardcore :(

lets all keep in mind that the younger kids need something to believe in too. the so-called candy ravers add a lot of fun and color to the scene and i like to see them around. the important thing is not to take everything so god damn seriously and just have a good time.

we have GeorgeAcasta2!!!

and besides that... maturity. And what exactly is a hardcore raver? From what I've seen it means UFO's and blowing up. For them the last set was as good as their last roll. Not that there is anything wrong with that...... but please!

-Happy to be (un)Hardcore :(

You guys kill me. You think that going to Space, Crobar, Opium and all of these other nightclubs is the only part of the electronic music scene down here? Plllllease!!! First off, these clubs only play one style of music except for Space. At least Space has more variety than the rest of the clubs down here. But what really kills me is so many 21 and overs have they're nose so stuck in the air that they don't know anything more than PVD, Teneglia, and the rest of the high priced DJ's that have no variety. I bet most of the people on this messageboard don't know anything about the beginnings of the electronic music scene in south florida. Do you?? There's nothing wrong with the kids in the rave scene here. If you don't like that vibe, then don't go to their parties. Plain and simple. But don't make it like you're so much better than them, because you're not.

So far all I see is a bunch of whining preps who don't get their asses kissed when they go to Space. BOO-HOO-HOO, you had to stand in line and the guy at the front door didn't let you in for free. Welcome to the nightclub world.

Rayaw! Hiss! <random cat noises>

I told ya people hated me on that board!

Anywho, it's not that I'm any sort of authority. Maybe I came across a little blunt.

But the majority of that list traffic is utter bullshit. It starts with a random post about an event and devolves from there into a whos-got-the-bigger-dick match. I respect the variety of sounds that are represented there, but that is about it. Then you get on the whole if you're over 21 you automatically suck BS. One person on that board constantly said "I don't go to clubs because there's too many 30 year olds there...they should grow up and act their age!"

And as for quality entertainment, most of the events there are very poorly put together...exceptions being any clubnights represented, and anything large like Ultra or what-have-you. I'm not just saying that to get you off my back, either. I respect the quality entertainment that FET puts on for South Florida, you guys are one of the few who give a good shit about quality sound and lighting.

Originally posted by pod

Rayaw! Hiss! <random cat noises>

I told ya people hated me on that board!

Anywho, it's not that I'm any sort of authority. Maybe I came across a little blunt.

But the majority of that list traffic is utter bullshit. It starts with a random post about an event and devolves from there into a whos-got-the-bigger-dick match. I respect the variety of sounds that are represented there, but that is about it. Then you get on the whole if you're over 21 you automatically suck BS. One person on that board constantly said "I don't go to clubs because there's too many 30 year olds there...they should grow up and act their age!"

And as for quality entertainment, most of the events there are very poorly put together...exceptions being any clubnights represented, and anything large like Ultra or what-have-you. I'm not just saying that to get you off my back, either. I respect the quality entertainment that FET puts on for South Florida, you guys are one of the few who give a good shit about quality sound and lighting.

They are kids bro, what do you expect. But they are still a very big part of the scene down here. The reason why they're tough on 21 and over is because of the way they get treated by the 21 and over crowd.

I wouldn't say the quality of entertainment is bad either. In fact, in some cases it's a hell of alot better than some clubs down here. DJ's in the rave scene are alot more daring than the DJ's who play in nightclubs down here. Perfect example is when I heard sets played by George Acosta and Tiesto during Texas ZenFest, those sets had alot more energy than the sets they play in the clubs. Reason being is that the sets at Texas ZenFest ranged from Melodic Trance - hard Trance - Tech House - Breaks. So much more versitile than the club sets.

As I stated before, the Miami nightclub scene would be nothing without the rave scene because alot of the 21 and overs out here right now used to be hardcore ravers back in the day.

Oh yeah, F.E.T. does alot more than lighting and sound. That little party named ULTRA3 was one example.

Lots of the people on the club scene now who were hardcore ravers were that since there was a scene to be had back then, wouldn't you agree? The rave scene now down here is effectively dead, due to on part the kids fucking it up, and the intolerance of local law enforcement.

But again, they're kids, like you say. Hell, I was a fuckup when I was 16 too.

DJs at festivals do get more daring. My only bitch is the short sets, but the quality of the sets is sometimes way better than a club set. And, to bring up your old thread, the festivals are the only place to see the live artists themselves.

Originally posted by pod

Lots of the people on the club scene now who were hardcore ravers were that since there was a scene to be had back then, wouldn't you agree? The rave scene now down here is effectively dead, due to on part the kids fucking it up, and the intolerance of local law enforcement.

But again, they're kids, like you say. Hell, I was a fuckup when I was 16 too.

DJs at festivals do get more daring. My only bitch is the short sets, but the quality of the sets is sometimes way better than a club set. And, to bring up your old thread, the festivals are the only place to see the live artists themselves.

Well there are several reasons why the rave scene has stalled down here and I think the most important reason is quality venues to throw parties are scarce. The city of Miami has been quite leniant with throwing these events as long as everything is done by the book.

Now about the live artists. If the Blue Room at Space was the size of Crobar's main room and they had a stage then I bet they would have more live PA's. Chemical Brothers or even Hybrid at Space would be killer shows. What about Transa?? So many DJ's out here play they're tracks and some of them are anthems yet nobody books Transa. The track is what's making the crowd go nuts. Once the DJ mixes that track in, what significance does he have???

I missed out on rave when it was really going strong. Believe it or not I'd kinda like to go and see what it's all about......LOL do raves still exist in South Florida or is this a nonexistent "scene?" I thought the cops really suppressed that stuff big-time back in the mid 90s. My god, I think I would actually love to hear some jungle/d 'n b in a club!! And whatever happened to the concept of an "ambient" room, too? I NEEDED a chillout room Saturday at Crobar to save me from the relentless nonmelodic 4/4 kick drum pounding of Parks & Wilson.....I never got to hear any of this other stuff in clubs! Give me some Music For Airports and Tangerine Dream, and LTJ Bukem spinning in the main room :cool:

ok...i was going to stay away from this post cuz it was just plain stupid, but i have to give my 2 cents.

i've been in the "scene" (for lack of a better word) since early 93. granted that's not that long, but i was in it when it wasn't the thing to do. i went for the music. to meet new people. to avoid the stress of long lines, no dress codes and no security to hassle you. people in high school would make fun of the way i dressed. they would think i'm crazy by listening to that music. they thought i HAD to be on drugs. i remember when after hours would be free. there WAS re-entry. water was free. people were in it for the music. gainesville, orlando and florida were the shit. i got to meet and hang out with some of the best djs from around the globe. simons in gainesville. edge and firestone in orlando. the edge in ft.laud. diamante and groove jet in miami. shit even paragon. all of these clubs were pumpin the best shit. but...it got commercial.

promoters came out of high school and realized that this was the market to jump on. they began promoting it in their high schools. those who were laughing at me years before were now rolling their faces off @ these clubs. other friends were asking ME...what are you doing here? i would just laugh at them. you see...THAT'S where the scene went wrong. it became too commercial. people were in it for the money. preps started going. ghetto people started going. dealers knew there was a market, so they pushed it on the youngins. kids that were freshmen in high school were going to parties. things got sloppy. people died. so the authorities didn't want to deal with this shit. cops were on guard at every party. people searched for drugs. undercovers. shit...i remember one morning at the edge, they brought in dogs and cops. how bout that? wouldn't that be a killer to the owner of a club? well it was. the owner of the edge eventually sold it. as did the one in orlando. a curfew came out in orlando basically ending after hours there. no alcohol sold after 2. diamante went to shit down here. if they couldn't get their money, well they just weren't going to throw parties. the kids just wanted to do their drugs and these parties were the best place to do it at. new jacks...they fucked it all up.

so there is no scene here. there hasn't been one in over 5 years. ask anyone who was around back when i mentioned and they'll tell you the same. that's why you won't see us going to the parties mentioned on 8up. it's mostly kids that are on drugs, forming circles, acting all ghetto and battling each other. i mean...c'mon now. give me a break already. that shit is old! just give me some fucking room so that i can dance.

Originally posted by phrankadelic

ok...i was going to stay away from this post cuz it was just plain stupid, but i have to give my 2 cents.

i've been in the "scene" (for lack of a better word) since early 93. granted that's not that long, but i was in it when it wasn't the thing to do. i went for the music. to meet new people. to avoid the stress of long lines, no dress codes and no security to hassle you. people in high school would make fun of the way i dressed. they would think i'm crazy by listening to that music. they thought i HAD to be on drugs. i remember when after hours would be free. there WAS re-entry. water was free. people were in it for the music. gainesville, orlando and florida were the shit. i got to meet and hang out with some of the best djs from around the globe. simons in gainesville. edge and firestone in orlando. the edge in ft.laud. diamante and groove jet in miami. shit even paragon. all of these clubs were pumpin the best shit. but...it got commercial.

promoters came out of high school and realized that this was the market to jump on. they began promoting it in their high schools. those who were laughing at me years before were now rolling their faces off @ these clubs. other friends were asking ME...what are you doing here? i would just laugh at them. you see...THAT'S where the scene went wrong. it became too commercial. people were in it for the money. preps started going. ghetto people started going. dealers knew there was a market, so they pushed it on the youngins. kids that were freshmen in high school were going to parties. things got sloppy. people died. so the authorities didn't want to deal with this shit. cops were on guard at every party. people searched for drugs. undercovers. shit...i remember one morning at the edge, they brought in dogs and cops. how bout that? wouldn't that be a killer to the owner of a club? well it was. the owner of the edge eventually sold it. as did the one in orlando. a curfew came out in orlando basically ending after hours there. no alcohol sold after 2. diamante went to shit down here. if they couldn't get their money, well they just weren't going to throw parties. the kids just wanted to do their drugs and these parties were the best place to do it at. new jacks...they fucked it all up.

so there is no scene here. there hasn't been one in over 5 years. ask anyone who was around back when i mentioned and they'll tell you the same. that's why you won't see us going to the parties mentioned on 8up. it's mostly kids that are on drugs, forming circles, acting all ghetto and battling each other. i mean...c'mon now. give me a break already. that shit is old! just give me some fucking room so that i can dance.

Some of your post is accurate but I can see that you never went to any of the good parties from 1994-1998 because you would have mentioned them. Just about every city went through some tough times back then because the whole "rave" thing was new. Sure there were alot of kids doing drugs but there's even more doing them in those glitzy clubs that you're going to now.

You say there is no scene here which is totally false. If you think that going to Space to hear PVD is the best thing since sliced bread then you obviously no nothing about what's going on down here. Yeah the rave kids brought Break Dancing back and added some new twists to it, which is great. The creative dress and the same old vibe is still there but there's one thing missing. The new generation of ravers aren't being clued in by people like you who "supposedly" were in the scene back in the 90's. People like you should be educating the new kids instead of bashing them. What exactly are you doing to inform the new kids of what the scene is all about?? Nothing, because you're sitting here writing bullsh*t about them.

The crowds in today's rave scene in south florida may be smaller but the intentions are still there. The vibe is still there and the music is definitely better than in the 90's. One thing is for sure. Drum and Bass is becoming enormous. In another year or 2, Drum and Bass will be alot bigger than that "la-dee-da" Trance shit that we hear constantly in the "preppy-VIP" clubs of today.

I like to go to both clubs and raves with no particular preference for anyone. Shit if the show and the music is good I'll be there.

The rave scene @ sfl.8up has a lot of interesting acts from time to time and yes they're bringing the DnB and breaks scene back to general public.

For example this thursday the Beatcamp crew is bringing the DnB nights back to South Beach. It used to be 18+ at The Mission, from now on it will be held at Tanja @ 643 washington ave.

so for all of you Dn B haters!!!!!!! HAHAHA here we come again, stronger than ever.

By the way I am a fan of all kinds of music, hell I went to PVD an waited 1 hr to see him spin, then I went out to the patio to listen to oscarg and his house, so I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other one, everyone with their shit.

stop talking shit about something just beacause you don't dig it.

Originally posted by malandrisimo

By the way I am a fan of all kinds of music, hell I went to PVD an waited 1 hr to see him spin, then I went out to the patio to listen to oscarg and his house, so I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other one, everyone with their shit.

stop talking shit about something just beacause you don't dig it.

I agree - I always get kind of annoyed with musical elitism.......I think a lot of jungle AND "house" purists are guilty of this. Trying to speak with a junglist about music is often like speaking to a cold, rude brick wall, because, after all, everything is utter cheesy shit except for his/her precious jungle. Some of the people frequenting the GU board aren't really any better.

Originally posted by festivalcre8or

The crowds in today's rave scene in south florida may be smaller but the intentions are still there. The vibe is still there and the music is definitely better than in the 90's. One thing is for sure. Drum and Bass is becoming enormous. In another year or 2, Drum and Bass will be alot bigger than that "la-dee-da" Trance shit that we hear constantly in the "preppy-VIP" clubs of today.

I disagree with this......I get the feeling that if d 'n b was ever going to become huge, it would have happened already. That said, I would like to hear some other styles of music in the clubs besides house and trance all the time.......but I guess that is what the marketplace demands.