Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone ever go to http://sfl.8up.com?

blowflyii

Originally posted by patrickl

I disagree with this......I get the feeling that if d 'n b was ever going to become huge, it would have happened already. That said, I would like to hear some other styles of music in the clubs besides house and trance all the time.......but I guess that is what the marketplace demands.

What is there to disagree with?? DnB is in it's infant stages in the U.S. DnB has evolved several times in the past 7-8 years in the U.K. and it's still making changes. The problem with the U.S. market is that it's slow to catch on, as usual. By the time DnB reaches it's full potential here you will see alot of old skool DnB acts performing even though they were big several years ago in the underground scene.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by patrickl

I agree - I always get kind of annoyed with musical elitism.......I think a lot of jungle AND "house" purists are guilty of this. Trying to speak with a junglist about music is often like speaking to a cold, rude brick wall, because, after all, everything is utter cheesy shit except for his/her precious jungle. Some of the people frequenting the GU board aren't really any better.

I had this same conversation with rave kids about making labels. What is a "junglist"? Please tell me. You say talking to them about music is like talking to a brick wall. Well what kind of music are you talking to them about?? Alot of the kids that listen to DnB are very loyal to the sound because you can truly feel the music. I'm not talking emotionally either. I'm talking physically. But you probably wouldn't understand what I'm talking about because you go to those "preppy-VIP" clubs that have bogus sound systems.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't just look at the Miami rave scene to judge how big DnB is in the states. Atlanta, DC, Texas, California, The Carolinas are just a few who have thriving Drum and Bass parties. I've been to several great events in different places of the country and have noticed the differences between what they like and what Florida likes. One thing that the kids want in every scene is more deep BASS. If you can't feel the music, then why bother!!!

Originally posted by festivalcre8or

What is there to disagree with?? DnB is in it's infant stages in the U.S. DnB has evolved several times in the past 7-8 years in the U.K. and it's still making changes. The problem with the U.S. market is that it's slow to catch on, as usual. By the time DnB reaches it's full potential here you will see alot of old skool DnB acts performing even though they were big several years ago in the underground scene.

Forget it! DnB is dead.......let it go. Hard german trance rules the land. Trance is what's taking off! Every club has trance cause it's the best kind of music in SFL. If I were you cre8or I would start making some slammin german trance parties instead of wasting your time with DnB and live PA's!

Some of your post is accurate but I can see that you never went to any of the good parties from 1994-1998 because you would have mentioned them. Just about every city went through some tough times back then because the whole "rave" thing was new. Sure there were alot of kids doing drugs but there's even more doing them in those glitzy clubs that you're going to now.

You say there is no scene here which is totally false. If you think that going to Space to hear PVD is the best thing since sliced bread then you obviously no nothing about what's going on down here. Yeah the rave kids brought Break Dancing back and added some new twists to it, which is great. The creative dress and the same old vibe is still there but there's one thing missing. The new generation of ravers aren't being clued in by people like you who "supposedly" were in the scene back in the 90's. People like you should be educating the new kids instead of bashing them. What exactly are you doing to inform the new kids of what the scene is all about?? Nothing, because you're sitting here writing bullsh*t about them.

The crowds in today's rave scene in south florida may be smaller but the intentions are still there. The vibe is still there and the music is definitely better than in the 90's. One thing is for sure. Drum and Bass is becoming enormous. In another year or 2, Drum and Bass will be alot bigger than that "la-dee-da" Trance shit that we hear constantly in the "preppy-VIP" clubs of today.

obviously you have no fucking clue who i am and what i've done in my life. so try not to sound like you do. your words hold no weight with me buddy. i can name a million fucking parties i've been to - in the mist. zen 1 and 2. elevation 1-3. mars. cosmos. rapture. endo mekka. endless parties @ firestone and simons. this list goes on and on. not to mention the conference all of these years. so take a step back and recognize.

don't think for one minute you know who i am and where i like going. i don't like pvd. i don't dig space. i don't dig vip areas. i can write whatever the fuck i want cuz it's my opinion. but i don't assume i know someone that i don't. i always run into idiots like you that just luv attacking someone's opinion. and i can give a rats ass what they think about it.

so stay running around with the kiddies and sucking on your lollipops. better yet, why don't you just start your own messageboard and invite them all over. i'll even spare a minute or two of my "precious time" to educate you all.

:)

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

Forget it! DnB is dead.......let it go. Hard german trance rules the land. Trance is what's taking off! Every club has trance cause it's the best kind of music in SFL. If I were you cre8or I would start making some slammin german trance parties instead of wasting your time with DnB and live PA's!

See this is what I mean. Clubs are the only source of what's going on. Oh yeah also, Hard German Trance can't touch some of the Hard House that's coming out today

Originally posted by phrankadelic

obviously you have no fucking clue who i am and what i've done in my life. so try not to sound like you do. your words hold no weight with me buddy:)

Well I guess that's why that section called "Signature" is put on here correct?? Once again, the nightclub crowd isn't any better than the rave crowd

signatures? :laugh: i can care less what you do.

like i said before, everyone has opionions. and not everybody has to agree. but i've seen some of your posts and you pretty much you attack ones opinion. something i don't agree with.

if you don''t like it, then say you don't agree, or that you don't like it. but try not to tell them that they don't know shit. there are MANY educated people on this board who just vary in opinions. but that's what makes us individuals. both scenes have their perks. shit i like some of the dj's that usually play at the "raves". i just don't like the element that some of them bring. i also don't like the fact that i have to dress up, bring women and pay outrageous cover charges to get into most clubs, or deal with fake people either. but you take the good with the bad. and i just don't feel like taking the bad part of raves anymore. plain and simple.

and GA's post about Hard German trance...dude...it's a joke. don't take it so literally.

about dnb - it does have its scene here. and there is a following. albeit not that big. the beat camp had its run for a while on the beach till they made the beach strictly 21 and over. another night tried to start in town and country, but that wasn't the right spot. so now they're trying again on the beach cuz everyone's gotten a little older or least gotten some fake ids. reload - same people i think who did beat camp. they're some great talent here, mr.mendez and marco to name a few. and everytime there's a big name in town - aphrodite, doc scott, fabio or whoever, there's always representation.

Well guys the two sides will never fully agree. The raver side is built upon freedom of expression and the energy of youth.. You have a bunch of kids (most of them are under 21) dancing their cares away. Because of there youth and inexperience they are more likely to exceed there limits when it comes to drugs. Its not all about the nice clothes and picking up the chicks with them. They wear t-shirts and tennis shoes. There DJ's are willing to take more chances because the crowd is less critical. Since they cant drink and the 21 and up in club laws, most clubs wont waist there time throwing quality events for them because they don't stand to make as much money as with the over 21 crowd.

Now for the Club crowd. With age comes experience and money. With the experience comes the knowledge of your limits and with that the lack of e-puddles at most places. And money brings in other problems. VIP is the flavor of the club scene here. Most clubs will not let you in unless your dressed to impress. How many nights have you wanted to go dance at a club but didn't feel like dressing up. Wanted to put on tennis shoes to dance your ass off instead of dress shoes. In the club scene its not just about the music or having fun, Its also about image. You could have the best DJ's coming to your club every week but if it doesn't have a good image its going to die here. Also with age comes knowing what you like. Music isn't all new to you. You find that one genre you like and generally stick to it. Learning more and more about it as time goes on.

Basically it comes down to the club crowd understanding the youth and inexperience of the raver crowd. And that its out of them that the new era of music will come. And for the raver crowd to understand that as they become more experienced and there tastes more refined that they will eventually turn 21 and join the club crowd. Bashing each other doesn't do each group any good and you will find that the those fighting loudest are those at the extreme of each age group.

This is just a generalization and my beliefs so don't take offence I have grouped you into one of these crowds that you feel you don't belong.

You guys kill me. You think that going to Space, Crobar, Opium and all of these other nightclubs is the only part of the electronic music scene down here? Plllllease!!! First off, these clubs only play one style of music except for Space. At least Space has more variety than the rest of the clubs down here. But what really kills me is so many 21 and overs have they're nose so stuck in the air that they don't know anything more than PVD, Teneglia, and the rest of the high priced DJ's that have no variety. I bet most of the people on this messageboard don't know anything about the beginnings of the electronic music scene in south florida. Do you?? There's nothing wrong with the kids in the rave scene here. If you don't like that vibe, then don't go to their parties. Plain and simple. But don't make it like you're so much better than them, because you're not.

So far all I see is a bunch of whining preps who don't get their asses kissed when they go to Space. BOO-HOO-HOO, you had to stand in line and the guy at the front door didn't let you in for free. Welcome to the nightclub world.

A lil fiesty are we?

Originally posted by phrankadelic

obviously you have no fucking clue who i am and what i've done in my life. so try not to sound like you do. your words hold no weight with me buddy. i can name a million fucking parties i've been to - in the mist. zen 1 and 2. elevation 1-3. mars. cosmos. rapture. endo mekka. endless parties @ firestone and simons. this list goes on and on. not to mention the conference all of these years. so take a step back and recognize.

don't think for one minute you know who i am and where i like going. i don't like pvd. i don't dig space. i don't dig vip areas. i can write whatever the fuck i want cuz it's my opinion. but i don't assume i know someone that i don't. i always run into idiots like you that just luv attacking someone's opinion. and i can give a rats ass what they think about it.

so stay running around with the kiddies and sucking on your lollipops. better yet, why don't you just start your own messageboard and invite them all over. i'll even spare a minute or two of my "precious time" to educate you all.

:)

Well Fucking said Frank...... :laugh:

Originally posted by pod

I'll agree on the hard house point. I'd like to see more hard house DJs and acts for sure.

I like hard house cause of the speed of the music, plus the fact the scene in general tends to discourage sitting still :)

Yeah I've got a friend named Ben Richards that really smokes with Hard House. He played a set at ZetaFest 2000 that really rocked. He got the crowd going with some bangin Hard House, then hit 'em with a few Breaks tracks, then back to Hard House. Talk about raising the energy level of the whole gig?? The crowd went nuts. Those are the kind of sets that I'd like to hear in a club

Originally posted by a-ron

Well guys the two sides will never fully agree. The raver side is built upon freedom of expression and the energy of youth.. You have a bunch of kids (most of them are under 21) dancing their cares away. Because of there youth and inexperience they are more likely to exceed there limits when it comes to drugs. Its not all about the nice clothes and picking up the chicks with them. They wear t-shirts and tennis shoes. There DJ's are willing to take more chances because the crowd is less critical. Since they cant drink and the 21 and up in club laws, most clubs wont waist there time throwing quality events for them because they don't stand to make as much money as with the over 21 crowd.

Now for the Club crowd. With age comes experience and money. With the experience comes the knowledge of your limits and with that the lack of e-puddles at most places. And money brings in other problems. VIP is the flavor of the club scene here. Most clubs will not let you in unless your dressed to impress. How many nights have you wanted to go dance at a club but didn't feel like dressing up. Wanted to put on tennis shoes to dance your ass off instead of dress shoes. In the club scene its not just about the music or having fun, Its also about image. You could have the best DJ's coming to your club every week but if it doesn't have a good image its going to die here. Also with age comes knowing what you like. Music isn't all new to you. You find that one genre you like and generally stick to it. Learning more and more about it as time goes on.

Basically it comes down to the club crowd understanding the youth and inexperience of the raver crowd. And that its out of them that the new era of music will come. And for the raver crowd to understand that as they become more experienced and there tastes more refined that they will eventually turn 21 and join the club crowd. Bashing each other doesn't do each group any good and you will find that the those fighting loudest are those at the extreme of each age group.

This is just a generalization and my beliefs so don't take offence I have grouped you into one of these crowds that you feel you don't belong.

defeinitely well put a-ron.

Frank I agree with everything you've said on this thread. Your opinion is one of the most that I respect. REPRAZENT!

Terry, R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Drum n bass in its infant stages? Come on man! Even an artist as mainstream as Everything But The Girl made a drum n bass album in 1996! I am NOT knocking drum n bass, so don't jump down my damned throat......hell I like it, but I don't see it catching fire, especially here in Miami.

Originally posted by blowflyii

By the way the florida scene was started way before 93 it started in the 80's. I am not saying I was ever a part of it. Please do not sound that way. You had to have gotten into it from someone else. Peace.

i hope this wasn't meant towards me. i KNOW that the scene started before 93. but hello..i'm only 26. i was 18 when i got into the scene. and i really don't think that there WAS a scene back in the 80's. i mean there were djs here...i.e. DT, but there wasn't an actual scene. at least i don't think. correct me if i'm wrong. i think the kitchen had more of a scene.

the first party i remember going to was divine playground. anyone else go to that?

I wasnt singleing you out. Its just the tone some people ahve is like they were in the scene when it started. I mean derek steplight and many others were out there in the late eighties and early 90's. ALso the scene in america stared underground in college neighborhoods. The peak of the scene was 91 and became commerical after that. I mean I even heard of it in early 1990's and I was still into seatle influenced music.

B