Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who else is having a hard time finding work her?

Originally posted by djfabioc

Tech Support/ IT

its a really saturated field, but its one of those service sectors that is probably faring a LOT better than a lot of other sectors.

fabio, you still in school? or out in the real world already?

oh, and you still promote for World Saturdays??

Originally posted by breakbeatz2

its a really saturated field, but its one of those service sectors that is probably faring a LOT better than a lot of other sectors.

fabio, you still in school? or out in the real world already?

oh, and you still promote for World Saturdays??

I not going to school anymore , but i would love to get certified...

And about world ...I haven't done anything there for 2 weeks...I might start soon again, maybe this weekend..

It sucks to see that it is hard to get a job in the IT field without concrete experience like someone said. I am a senior IT major at albany and I can't even find any internship lisitings for any IT/networking here upstate. I am doing the A+, and Network+ certs on my own before I graduate in May, hopefully they will help. I wanted to do network administration but everyone wants hands on experience. How do I get that? I don't see many entry-level type jobs for IT. Anyone else here experiencing this? Makes you wonder, a lot of my friends maybe 2-4 years back didn't go to college to get into computer field, now making money, while I waste 4 years to not find a job?? Anyone hiring around May? I will be looking for a job in NYC area. BTW, anyone here do the MCSE 2000 cert? Is it worth it? I'm not sure I want to drop around $9000 to take it when I move back home. Thanks!

Originally posted by magilicuti

just quit my job to concentrate on school. not going clubbing after jp's bday till summer either.

ha! thats what the guy that i am dating says too! i will see it when i believe it. I keep telling him it runs in your blood, hun. and that after a while... he's gonna get the itch.

lol ;)

Listen any kind of certs are helpful...It kets the employer see that you take initiative...It is really hard to get into this field, on the flip side of getting certs it helps what you know but a said reality is it always helps WHO you know!!!!!!!I just recently got into the field for Nexteland taking it one day at a time!!!

Originally posted by dp80

It sucks to see that it is hard to get a job in the IT field without concrete experience like someone said. I am a senior IT major at albany and I can't even find any internship lisitings for any IT/networking here upstate. I am doing the A+, and Network+ certs on my own before I graduate in May, hopefully they will help. I wanted to do network administration but everyone wants hands on experience. How do I get that? I don't see many entry-level type jobs for IT. Anyone else here experiencing this? Makes you wonder, a lot of my friends maybe 2-4 years back didn't go to college to get into computer field, now making money, while I waste 4 years to not find a job?? Anyone hiring around May? I will be looking for a job in NYC area. BTW, anyone here do the MCSE 2000 cert? Is it worth it? I'm not sure I want to drop around $9000 to take it when I move back home. Thanks!

. . . Dude, this is what was inexorably going to happen . . . I didn't go to school for comps, I've been using and abusing them since I was 9 . . . In this economy experience IS necessary . . . I don't care how many classes you've taken, how much theory you've had shoved down your throat . . until you get that phone call at three AM where the night guy screams that the whole Oracle Cluster has gone down and somethings fucked with the Routing tables, you don't know SHIT . . . That's exactly what I was told when I went for my first IT interview ( for an engineer position) years ago . . If it comes down to a list of college classes and activities vs. real experience . . Real experience wins . . cause when you say to the interviewer . . "I studied that" . . I can say "I'd have it fixed before the ticket hit the first hop in the router". . . in short, I win. . .

. . My advice to you, and this is gonna be hard to take, seeing as how you've invested 4 years of your life into learning theory, is to go out and get a Help Desk job. . . Every IT professional I know, college educated or not . . . HAD to cut their teeth in the phone pits before they got he glory . . It's a simple fact of the industry . . cause as you take more and more calls, all that theory is connected, logically to the operating systems that you'll be using and pretty soon you can fix and design infrastructure with your eyes closed . . . Outsourcing firms are the greatest for this, cause many times they will have serveral accounts that focus on difffernt disciplines in the tech industry ( ex: Baseline software support, hardware troubleshooting, and connectivity ((LANS/WANS)) ) . . The pay will be shit at first, but in no time you will have the wonderful ability to trump other applicants when you go for jobs . . . Contracting is also another option worth exploring . .

. . . Keep trying . . there is an Abundance of opportunity out there. . you just gotta work it . .

Peace. . . :D