Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DOES NEW YORK JUST NOT GET BREAKS!!?? (The rest of the world gets it!)

MIAMI HAS IT..LONDON HAS IT! Why dosen't NY get it? Bedrock (John Digweed's party was jammed pack when breaks hit last november in London.) And yet NY does not have a proper house that gives this world renown sound a home! Why is that? Has a City that was founded on HOUSE and later caught the whiff of techno, trance, and D&B not understand it's place in the scene?! It's PULL?

I was @ Pseudo this Thursday and Mike Robinson spun right up against Pseudo local DJ. MORGAN and the room went from Funky-tech house to a straight up Breaks flavor.. The crowd looked shelled shocked! Like they didn't know what hit them. Then Mike dropped "WHITE LINES" and I think everyone got it. Breaks are a kind of playfull tongue in cheek tease into FUNKY ELECTRO BEATS, and a kind of attitude that reclaims a sound that has been forgotten in N.Y.

By the end of Mike's set Pseudolites where dancing, breaking and twirling. (Hell even NJguy was chillin in the room with a grin looking in the mirror at himself.) I asked goa411 "So do you like this shit"? and she replied; "I use to live in Miami. You can turn on the radio and hear Breaks all the time!" SO WHY IS NY SO LATE ON THIS SOUND?

Perhaps they haven't been exposed to it yet. Perhaps it's the next generation..and an end to NY STUBBORN MENTALITY! DROP IT AND WATCH IT GROW GUYS!

THE REST OF THE WORLD GETS IT!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you took meee way back to my breaking day's with that track of course I was only 12 then hehehehe.....

Yup... it was weird moving back to NY from Miami (96) and realizing that no one seemed interested in spinning sum breaks here and there. All I would hear wuz (is) house, trance and that boring two step garage...but at least the jungle & d&b scene wuzzz (is) still around which at the time made up for the BREAKS I wuzz not listening too in this "BIG TRENDY APPLE"...

Originally posted by go411

Wow you took meee way back to my breaking day's with that track of course I was only 12 then hehehehe.....

Yup... it was weird moving back to NY from Miami (96) and realizing that no one seemed interested in spinning sum breaks here and there. All I would hear wuz (is) house, trance and that boring two step garage...but at least the jungle & d&b scene wuzzz (is) still around which at the time made up for the BREAKS I wuzz not listening too in this "BIG TRENDY APPLE"...

All that's about to change!

(One word: SHELTER!)

I lived in Florida for almost two years, and when I moved back up here the change was overwhelming. Down in FL the residents at popular clubs were djs like Icey, Baby Anne, Three, Debbie D, etc. There would be radio shows every day that were all breaks, it is such a big part of main stream music as well. It was such a huge change being totally surrounded by breaks, to coming here and just hearing hard progressive house/trance non stop.

I have to make it down to Psuedo one of these days if people are spinning breaks. Maybe Ill bring some records down with me, Florida breakssssss all the way. Oh yeah, for whoever dropped White Lines, fuckin classic.

Yea B! It'll happen yo! give it time Mugz. NY is gonna catch the electro/breaks wave soon. I've never seen so many breaks parties in so many places in all one time and shit! You've been preaching this sound for a long time yo~

Have faith in what you preach. IF YOU BREAK IT THEY WILL COME!

Originally posted by mysterynyc

i like breaks, but mixed in with deep house and tech...like Ashtrax or Slacker. Not just simply breaks with no melody.

i agree..

breaks are ill and they certainly havent' seemed to catch on yet here(not sure whether thats a good thing or a bad thing, though leaning more toward good..) but i wouldnt' compare florida breaks w/ stuff like ashtraxx, or tyrant.. too me icey and all the shit is mad cheesy.. just MO though..

I was askin about breaks on this board about a year and a half ago and got SLAMMED for it. Mainly because I'm from Florida and NYers seem to have a thing for Fla breakbeats. I can tell you that I gave up going out around here because the energy in a club is no where near as slamming as that in a room with beats going off. Clubs here play tunes with the same shit playing over and over again. I'd rather stay home and listen to my bath tub drain!!

I would be ecstatic to go to a venue that was full on break beats and garage. Oh and for everyone that has jumped on the cheese bandwagon about Icey has never heard the dude live, and scratching!! I guarantee in a room with him playing live you will not be able to stand still, unless ofcourse you cant dance!!

i think alot of people...NOT ALL...in NYC are on the cheese bandwagon PERIOD. not only with breaks and/or certain DJ's.

This country is VERY behind in dance music. Tiesto for example is FINALLY popular here. It's plain sad.

He been tearing it up in Europe since 96 or 97. Same goes for Oakenfold, since 97. He was voted #1 by DJ mag in 1999. No one knew him then STILL.

Now they're both....at least Oakenfold...is history.

Oakenfold isn't the best DJ....he might be the HIGHEST PAID...but not the best. Not even close.

He went a bit backwards with the stuff he spins.

Originally posted by kimmr

I was askin about breaks on this board about a year and a half ago and got SLAMMED for it. Mainly because I'm from Florida and NYers seem to have a thing for Fla breakbeats. I can tell you that I gave up going out around here because the energy in a club is no where near as slamming as that in a room with beats going off. Clubs here play tunes with the same shit playing over and over again. I'd rather stay home and listen to my bath tub drain!!

I would be ecstatic to go to a venue that was full on break beats and garage. Oh and for everyone that has jumped on the cheese bandwagon about Icey has never heard the dude live, and scratching!! I guarantee in a room with him playing live you will not be able to stand still, unless ofcourse you cant dance!!

. . . Having spent a decade down there, I can concur with that last statement . . . I saw a similar effect, with nu-skool happen with Danny Howells on New Years Eve . . .

. . BUT I will also say that Icey is NOT the end all Be all of Florida Breaks . . there is an entire spectrum down there . . From the standard issue Funkies to Intelligent and Nu-skool . . .you just gotta dig deeper . . . .

Originally posted by qtkt508

I agree that Icey is not the only breaks dj to speak about although he does seem to get the most hate from NYC.

I personally am loving Rick West's latest and Rob E's trip hop. You guys should check em out too!!

. . . I have issues with Rob-E, but Rick West is the bomb diggity . . I love his sets . . .

ALL I GOTS TO SAY IS THAT I AM IN

LOVE WITH DJ HYPER'S

"BEDROCK BREAKS"..

Any one that thinks nonstop Breaks are "flat"

and not good unles; "Mixed into something else"

should give this gem a spin.

OPENING TRACK BY IIs Pretty much covers it:

"WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL!"

yo..

and you all have to check out WOOL

at his new home with MISS BLISS on wednesdays

in the East Villiage..

saw him rip through a two hour set

last night in Williamsburg that

made me ruin another pair of pants!

DMC TURNTABLIST CHAMPION/BREAKS

MAD MAN....

Im sorry, Icey's tracks suck. I have seen him spin more than any other dj and I do have to admit, he is awesome live. No band wagon jumping, I lived in Florida and I still dont like him that much. Rob-E is dope, Rick West's Flavored beats cds are dope too. If you guys like breaks like that, check out Dj Merlyn, IMO the best breaks dj in Florida. Man no one has even mentioned djs like Johnny Dangerously, Storm, R-Fresh, Infiniti, Sandy, Huda Hudia, etc....