Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Okay... I have Career Questions For Y'all...

Lets get serious for a moment... What do you want to do with your life career wise? What do you hope to do? What will you do? Now heres the important part... Why do you want to do it? & finally whats makes you so sure you'll be successful at it???

lets hear it...

Originally posted by dgmodel

Lets get serious for a moment... What do you want to do with your life career wise? What do you hope to do? What will you do? Now heres the important part... Why do you want to do it? & finally whats makes you so sure you'll be successful at it???

lets hear it...

Hopefully, get my MBA from Wharton/Harvard or something good and go into investment banking. Start off as an associate and...if I'm able to make it through, fight my way up to some nice position, like a senior VP...by the time im 30-35.

hmm....why do i want to do it? do you have ANY idea how much a senior banker at, say...Goldman Sachs makes? it's pretty ridiculous.

i'm not sure that i'll be successful at it but...im willing to give it a chance...right now it seems like an interesting job, to me at least. however, i've just finished reading "Monkey Business" and it really disillusioned me about a lot of things. only time will tell....

lets hear it...

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever.

:blown: :blown: :blown:

dolik, read a book called Monkey Business by John Rolfe. its about the inside life of an investment banker. not so sure you ll want to be in this career after you read it.

personally, i want to do biotech research, with CAD and other software. i want to work for a company like Merck, on the cutting edge of technology. im also currently working to get my pilot's license, so in case uncle sam needs a pilot to drop a daisy cutter, ill be available.

oh shit dolik, didnt read that last comment. hehe, ok see what im talkin about? youll be pissing in beer bottles at christmas parties, and your gfriend will dump you, cause youll never have the time to see her, let alone make love to her. that book is right on the money. ive worked at GS, bankers are miserable sobs.

what is monkey business about???

Just what Tribal described. A hilarious book about investment bankers at DLJ, how they got into investment banking, and why they left.

It's hysterical ala Liar's Poker, if you've ever read that book. It's a fairly accurate portrayal from what my I-Banker friends tell me. :)

after i finish my 5 year MBA program and CPA exam, i have to do 2 years in the Big 5

after that, i'm thinking of going into venture capital

however when i get my BA i may scout around at whats available

i may be able to get into VC without a CPA

we shall see

and why?

i always wanted to take something, an idea and watch it grow... dunno thats just all i can explain right now

ok ok i'll play along:

hm get my bs in international business and marketing from stern and ... do international business and marketing. maybe start my own business (but then again everyone wants to do that) or be a market researching for some international company.

why? because that's what i'm studying now, it's kind of interesting and it'll make me a lot of money.

what makes me think i'll be good at that? i never said i would be but i'm praying that i will be.

what else i would RATHER do: maybe be a teacher/professor after i study psychology, sociology or anthropology. start my own chinese dance school and teach little kids to dance and tour around doing major shows. become a professional flautist and play with the philadelphia philharmonic or something. why? because i actually really like doing all these things. what makes me think i'll be good at it? i'm already good at it :D

Originally posted by dolik

Hopefully, get my MBA from Wharton/Harvard or something good and go into investment banking. Start off as an associate and...if I'm able to make it through, fight my way up to some nice position, like a senior VP...by the time im 30-35.

hmm....why do i want to do it? do you have ANY idea how much a senior banker at, say...Goldman Sachs makes? it's pretty ridiculous.

i'm not sure that i'll be successful at it but...im willing to give it a chance...right now it seems like an interesting job, to me at least. however, i've just finished reading "Monkey Business" and it really disillusioned me about a lot of things. only time will tell....

well lets just say this my sister will be starting with JP Morgan Chase (in June) and she was just saying to me this week that she expects to be there for no more than three and out! She had interned with them before and she liked it but she's become very disenchanted and disillusioned with the job and the ppl. (she worked for a month in the summer time before accepting their deferrment pkg. she got $25,000 to go home) note, she also thinks the attitude in that company has changed since the merger.

Originally posted by nycchic24

well lets just say this my sister will be starting with JP Morgan Chase (in June) and she was just saying to me this week that she expects to be there for no more than three and out! She had interned with them before and she liked it but she's become very disenchanted and disillusioned with the job and the ppl. (she worked for a month in the summer time before accepting their deferrment pkg. she got $25,000 to go home) note, she also thinks the attitude in that company has changed since the merger.

Well, my friend got a permanent deferment from her investment bank (top three bank) before she even started. :(