Clubplanet Nightlife Community

And The Plot Thickens!!!!

Posted May 6th, 2002 6:00 PM

Fly Life

by Tricia Romano

Let's Get This Party Started Right

In order to open up a nightclub in New York City, you'd better be an angel or a saint. At least, that's the impression I got watching the two-hour song and dance given by Crobar representatives to Community Board 4 last Wednesday night. Club owners Callin Fortis and Ken Barilich did everything to prove that they are model citizens, not like those other club owners (Sleazy, Shady, and Skanky). Fortis and Barilich brought in an army of people to testify before the board—including former Miami Beach mayor Neisen Kasdin, ex-special narcotics prosecutor for New York City Robert Silbering, and, believe it or not, a Tibetan monk, the Venerable Nicholas Vreeland, a liaison for the Tibet Center on 32nd Street, who gamely offered, "I guess I'm here to represent the spiritual side of Crobar." The only people not present to vouch for Cal and Ken: their mothers.

It worked. The board approved 38-8 to open a club on 530 West 28th Street, across the way from the ill-fated Twilo and Tunnel. The space—at 40,000 square feet—is gargantuan, and has been eyed over the years by many club owners, including Peter Gatien, whose name was invoked repeatedly at the meeting, since a Page Six item had linked him to the Crobar peeps. Of course, Fortis and Barilich did everything to distance themselves from the fallen club king. At one point, a community board member read parts from a letter written by Space owner Luis Puig—a competitor of Crobar in South Beach—implying Crobar was in cahoots with Gatien. Apparently, Puig had also set his sights on the West 28th Street spot, but after turning down an offer from Gatien, claimed that Gatien told him he'd "never have that building." Puig suggested Crobar and Gatien had set up a similar partnership deal.

Fortis denied an association, stating that the charges were "put out there intentionally to hurt us," and told the board, "Luis Puig and Peter Gatien would have made terrific partners." Ouch.

If Fortis and Barilich are in a deal with Gatien, they are doing a fine job of pissing on his already tarnished image. Next step for the dapper, tall-and-tanned Adonis Crobar boys—a week's vaca, and hopefully approval from state and city agencies for a real superclub.

Vinyl is getting a phazon and a complete facelift

Crobar will hopefully open in 6 months. It's time to take it to the next once again!

Crobar really is the best managed (and owned) club on the beach. Kenny and Manager Dave Silver could teach the rest of the beach a lesson in how to treat a customer/clubber. They either really care about the patrons (all of them, not just the VIP) or realize that the money will come when the patrons are happy, which really amounts to the same thing.

Aight!!!!! Crobar in Nyc. This is some shit

Let's just wish this club some good luck. The area doesn't have a good track record with the shut down of the 2 argueably best clubs the city has ever had w/ Twilo, Tunnel. We'll just have to wait and see.

I could have sworn I read that Victor was waiting for the right place to open in NYC and hinted that one was coming soon...Mayhaps Crobar NYC?

Feeling the pain of would-be clubs, a Victor residency at a true successor to Twilo...

Sounds Deeeeelicious!!!!

Play Safe,

R

Completely agreed. It's been very "young" lately thoughout NYC, too many kids starting trouble...I come for the music. With Crobar's reputation, I think to the best nights of Twilo (and Danny's Vinyl 1.5 years ago, after hours...) in their new space.

Fingers Crossed,

R