Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What are the best clubs in philly?

I normally go to clubs in nyc, but I'm wondering about clubs in philly since its a little closer & less expensive...

So far the only ones I've been too are maui and envy (taken by friends), but I know there must be better places in philly. For those of you that know clubs in nyc, I'm looking for the big places (like exit, sound factory & tunnel before it was shut down) to check out, but more importantly places like vinyl & twilo (RIP) that had great vibe and music.

So far I've heard of shampoo, transit, egypt and a few others but have no idea what they're like - lemme know what you think! Thnx

Originally posted by nifer

oh GAWD... do NOT go to egypt. unless hanging around some greasy juiceheads and big-boobed big-haired girls is your idea of a fun night.

I SECOND THAT ...... BIG TIME!!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Really not much left in this town. It's all lounges now for the most part. You have Bash on saturdays which is decent, afterhours at tribecca a small place and thats it really. Egypt and chrome are the leftover delaware ave clubs that are still just there I would say. Many people say philly will be all lounges in a year or so, the scene is not that great here right now.

• 2 weeks later...

honestly, if you're used to going to NYC, you're going to be very dissappointed with philly. the biggest venues are probably egypt and shampoo but if you're looking for something as big as the clubs in new york you're not going to find it. as for the juiceballs, i tend to disagree. i think new york has 80 times more meatheads than philly. the music is a lot different too.

I was at Exit last Friday for Oakie and saw the funniest meathead ever. I was sitting against the wall and there was a mirror above me and my roomate and this meathead must have past us like 10 times in 5 minutes checking himself out in the mirror, flexing his muscles, sticking his ass out ... oh my God, you name it .... he did it!! My roomate and I were like cracking up in his face just about .... it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen!!!

Originally posted by mikespeese

honestly, if you're used to going to NYC, you're going to be very dissappointed with philly. the biggest venues are probably egypt and shampoo but if you're looking for something as big as the clubs in new york you're not going to find it. as for the juiceballs, i tend to disagree. i think new york has 80 times more meatheads than philly. the music is a lot different too.

...well I guess I don't really care much about the size, its more about the music & vibe. As far as meatheads I don't mind them unless they're assholes (although there is a reason behind the stereotype)... keep in mind a lotta ppl besides meatheads can be assholes in a club. I am gonna end up checkin out philly at some point, I'm working 20 mins from there during the summer and live closer to philly than ny, not to mention the ridiculous prices of clubs in ny.

You definitely aren't going to find anything like Exit or Sound Factory in Philly, but you can have fun there if you keep an open mind. I have been to Egypt, Envy, Maui and Shampoo, and Shampoo is by far the best, especially in the summer. Just realize that compared to NY, the crowd is trashy, the music is a little old school, and the clubs are smaller. Have fun and e-mail me if you check out Transit :D

• 2 weeks later...

transit was pretty dope i thought... even if there were so many people there it took me an hour to get past coat check. that little corridor where the coat check window is could be a little wider but other than that the music was good and i liked the vibe there.

envy is a little small for my tastes.. i felt like i was at someones house and not a club. i was there when q102 was in the house.. that was entertaining, LOL..

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a brief rundown of Philly clubs...

Shampoo: used to have good Thursday nights with deep house - similar to Vinyl on Fridays. Used to have good Saturday nights with Robbie Tronco spinning hard and progressive house. Now the only night that is decent is Sunday night w/ Chuck Addis, but that is a 17 and over night - so you get the kiddies up in the cut.

Egypt: complete waste of time now... going real commercial. I can see them playing Top 40 in the near future.

Chrome: the closest thing you are going to get to a NYC club in Philly. One of my favorites, and Robbie Tronco (philly's best DJ IMO) spins on Friday nights. One problem... not that many people go there.

Maui: its closed now... good - it sucked

Flow: Saturday night has Robbie Tronco spinning - so its a good time if nothing else is going on - not the best venue, but alright.

Envy: I never liked Envy... way too small

Motion: good place to go if you are into the rave scene. I'm not, so I don't go, but I can respect the talent they reel in. Paul Van Dyk has been there a couple of times.

Evolution2: go only when they bring in outside talent, otherwise it isn't really worth it except for the fact that they are open later than 2:00am.

Polyesters: 70s & 80s music... tends to attract older crowd (late 20s and 30s) - easy place to pick someone up, but it's definitely not a "hardcore" club - just go there to change it up once in awhile

The Five Spot: old city club near Envy, seems to attract a very multicultural crowd (to be politically correct) - music varies, but mainly hip-hop.

Adrenaline: if you are white don't go there... trust me - it's also been the site of several shootings

8th floor, Transit, Bash, Tribecca: never been to these places, but I've heard good and bad things about each

I've left several out, but that should give you a good idea. The philly scene is more laid back than the NYC scene... people are less educated about the music (which is a shame), but you can still have a good time if you go out with friends.

leviathanx pretty much summed it all up.

shampoo, transit, and evolution are worth checking out when they are open late. they would be my favorite. and if you need a comparison...i loved twilo when it was open and go to sound factory when i visit new york.

bash is a cool place to go to meet very attractive women, but at the same time get your dance on. it reminds me of crobar in miami a little (although nothing in philly can really compare)...the first few times i was there the crowd was good looking and the music was hard. it can be fun when it fills up...if not, the regulars seem to be trashy girls and guys that can't handle their Connie!

F! egypt...never been there, i just go by what i here from friends. i am not into partying with guys who leave their gold chains hanging outside their t-shirts!!!

F! tribecca...decent music, but damn they had way too much to prove...not friendly at all. i think all of the guys were a little intimidated by my friend and me and tried to be tough guys...i am not into that $hit at all!!!