Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Venting..

Codica3

Aight.. soo.. I get in debates with people sometimes about DJs..

I will say a certain DJ sucks because he trainwrecks just about every song, he can't match a beat, and he doesn't add anything to the music except for playing a the damn song (which most likely isn't even a good song to begin with).

And the other person will say: he's a good DJ because his track selection is dooooope (despite the fact that every track is poorly programmed into the next song)

I'm like: yoo.. being a DJ is more than just picking out good songs.. if it were just about playing good songs, couldn't technically ANYONE be a "good DJ" then?? I mean wouldn't all they have to do is go to the friggin' record store or CD store or get good MP3s and just play them??

I always thought being a good DJ included not just the track selection but the rather fine elements that actually MAKE a DJ talented like.. umm.. let's say MATCHING BEATS for one thing.. dropping acapellas over beats.. mixing.. transition.. ETC.. but then again I could be wrong. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe I should go be a fucking DJ with "good track selection" and maybe I'll be lucky enough to land a spot on the main floor at some shithole.. it's about knowing people right?? Well I know some big time promoters too. :blown: Maybe they can land me a spot. :rolleyes:

It's too fucking easy to get a big ego nowadays and it pisses me off. But I guess that's cause you got people like the people I'm arguing with who think some DJ is like God cause they drop songs that they like despite the poor programming.. ETC.. for goodness sakes.. people think they're some music masters cause they make songs on their corny little computer programs in fifteen minutes. "Wow.. that's great guys.. how bout you send me that program so I can be an all-star too" :rolleyes:

ah cody u know i could go on for days...and im sure someone with more musical knowledge than I will debate this, but here goes.....

Im all about its HOW you play it, but thats b/c im a dj and im educated on the music and yadda yadda yadda.....to a first time clubber in exit 2 summers ago, tony was god b/c it didnt matter if he wrecked or didnt do any acapella blends....it was WHAT he played....

so i guess it depends on your musical knowledge.....b/c when i saw the LES for the first time on July 3rd...I didnt know ONE song they played, but I was feelin them not only b/c i liked what i heard, but b/c of their FLAWLESS mixing and their technique.

Lets take for example Joe Fredico. He was the guy who at abyss a few weeks back got on and played In Your Eyes, Like a Prayer and Disco Balls (before it leaked) and then was done. Now people might have thought he was sick b/c of what he played. But in Joe's case he is a great dj regardless b/c i have heard him before and he blends, drops acapellas and works it in there. So he might fit on either side of this debate.

So IMO, when u spin, you are a performer. People go to see DJ's like hippies go to see Phish. When PVD played exit, that was like a concert. And to me, playing songs and simply mixing them without doing anything else is not performing.

So to me, its HOW you play it. But this is all premised on how much you know about music....b/c to someone who just started clubbin, all that matters is that they hear some phat shit. Or to the white girl who loves nelly and just goes to the local bar to hear Heaven and Someone b/c those are the only 2 dance songs she likes. All the DJ has to do is play one of those 2 songs and it doesnt matter how he plays em. Shes happy. and hes good in her eyes.

I've had this debate with 100's of people in the 12 years i been spinning and i almost always find different opinions that somewhat agree and somewhat dont. Feel free to post urs.

Mike Bugout

Originally posted by djmikebugout

ah cody u know i could go on for days...and im sure someone with more musical knowledge than I will debate this, but here goes.....

Im all about its HOW you play it, but thats b/c im a dj and im educated on the music and yadda yadda yadda.....to a first time clubber in exit 2 summers ago, tony was god b/c it didnt matter if he wrecked or didnt do any acapella blends....it was WHAT he played....

so i guess it depends on your musical knowledge.....b/c when i saw the LES for the first time on July 3rd...I didnt know ONE song they played, but I was feelin them not only b/c i liked what i heard, but b/c of their FLAWLESS mixing and their technique.

Lets take for example Joe Fredico. He was the guy who at abyss a few weeks back got on and played In Your Eyes, Like a Prayer and Disco Balls (before it leaked) and then was done. Now people might have thought he was sick b/c of what he played. But in Joe's case he is a great dj regardless b/c i have heard him before and he blends, drops acapellas and works it in there. So he might fit on either side of this debate.

So IMO, when u spin, you are a performer. People go to see DJ's like hippies go to see Phish. When PVD played exit, that was like a concert. And to me, playing songs and simply mixing them without doing anything else is not performing.

So to me, its HOW you play it. But this is all premised on how much you know about music....b/c to someone who just started clubbin, all that matters is that they hear some phat shit. Or to the white girl who loves nelly and just goes to the local bar to hear Heaven and Someone b/c those are the only 2 dance songs she likes. All the DJ has to do is play one of those 2 songs and it doesnt matter how he plays em. Shes happy. and hes good in her eyes.

I've had this debate with 100's of people in the 12 years i been spinning and i almost always find different opinions that somewhat agree and somewhat dont. Feel free to post urs.

Mike Bugout

Couldn't agree with you more.....but that is what comes with the territory.

I listen to the DJ for what he is doing and how he is doing it.

Case in point: Who is/are better musician(s), Beck or Nelson. Nelson sells more albums and packs out venues, but are they really considered musicians?

Same thing goes for a DJ like say Draper or DeVito. I don't respect either of them but they still sell albums and/or pack houses. Now lets throw out a name like Donald Glaude....do you think anyone that tunes in to KTU regularly actually ever heard of this guy? Yet I think he is good.

It just comes from a different point of view.

Mike Bugout

very well put but for every 1 of us that believe this there is a few hundred in the club that can give 2 shits how its done/mixed/dropped/efx'd/looped/blended. as long as they hear tracks they like their happy. thats why i crack up listening to posts about certain nights out and people rave about so and sos set/sets after a weekend

I think the points presented above are all well taken, however there is also one more element, the audience. It was hinted in some of the discussion above, but i think being a good dj also requires you to feel the crowd.

For example, if you're djing at a bar near an undergraduate college, playing hard trance and deep house will not give you a good name. In which case playing KTU music (Devito) may be the best thing to do. But don't get me wrong, this still does not excuse poor mixing. However, as was said before, a dj who mixes ktu would be thought of as a better dj regardless of how unskilled he/she is compared to the guy who's really into his set.

So in the bar scenario, the best dj would be someone who skillfully mixed the pop stuff.

Or to the white girl who loves nelly and just goes to the local bar to hear Heaven and Someone b/c those are the only 2 dance songs she likes. All the DJ has to do is play one of those 2 songs and it doesnt matter how he plays em. Shes happy. and hes good in her eyes.

:clap:

I cant even say "In My Opinion" on this topic because even i have multiple opinions. For example:

Ive heard certain dj's that played cheese, didnt mix, etc but had the crowd rockin all night because they played what the crowd knew they wanted to hear. Result: He was a good dj because he made people dance.

Ive heard DJ's rip tracks apart flawlessly, incorporate acapellas, and samples while running two tracks at once and STAY ON BEAT. Result - He was a good DJ because he worked multiple decks.

Ive heard DJ's play GOOD music (not cheese) for crowds and keep mixing simple, keep efx to a minimum, but knew how to work the energy to hype the crowd up and down. Result - He was a good DJ because he moved the crowd and pumped the energy.

Ive also heard DJ's try to be one of these guys in a place where one of the others would have fit better. In other words, there is no need for someone to be playing dark, progressive house at a local pub. Sound Factory afterhours music doesnt work on a wednesday night.

The point is, different venues call for different DJ's. I guess, to sum everything up, a really good DJ is one who can show up at any of these venues and alter his style to rock the crowd. In other words, one who brings to each gig a wide variety of music, and knows how to incorporate diferent styles into one set as to satisfy everyone's needs and get people dancing:D

BG

Originally posted by ibclubbin

I cant even say "In My Opinion" on this topic because even i have multiple opinions. For example:

Ive heard certain dj's that played cheese, didnt mix, etc but had the crowd rockin all night because they played what the crowd knew they wanted to hear. Result: He was a good dj because he made people dance.

Ive heard DJ's rip tracks apart flawlessly, incorporate acapellas, and samples while running two tracks at once and STAY ON BEAT. Result - He was a good DJ because he worked multiple decks.

Ive heard DJ's play GOOD music (not cheese) for crowds and keep mixing simple, keep efx to a minimum, but knew how to work the energy to hype the crowd up and down. Result - He was a good DJ because he moved the crowd and pumped the energy.

Ive also heard DJ's try to be one of these guys in a place where one of the others would have fit better. In other words, there is no need for someone to be playing dark, progressive house at a local pub. Sound Factory afterhours music doesnt work on a wednesday night.

The point is, different venues call for different DJ's. I guess, to sum everything up, a really good DJ is one who can show up at any of these venues and alter his style to rock the crowd. In other words, one who brings to each gig a wide variety of music, and knows how to incorporate diferent styles into one set as to satisfy everyone's needs and get people dancing:D

BG

you learned all that in 6 months of clubbing :tongue:

Originally posted by ibclubbin

BG

Couldn't agree more, it all depends on the location and the audience. ;)