Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Reactions to MTV Preparty - Sasha & Moby

lol...so it was a conspiracy?

i don't recall the power going out for anyone else...and they put on some CD's while they were repairing sasha's stuff, so it wasn't really the "power" that went out. more like some connections between sasha's equipment and the sound system.

Yes, it was annoying that people had to take time out of their days to pick up advance tickets that weren't required.

Yes, it was annoying that there were sound problems during Sasha's set.

No, MTV did not cut off the power at the end of Sasha's set. Sasha turned the record off because his set time was over.

I think that people should look at the bright side of things. I think that it's amazing that MTV booked Sasha when they could have booked any number of teen-pop-cheese acts or other K-Rock staples. People should look at this as a hopeful beginning for better things to come. Plus, it was a great opportunity to see Sasha at a NYC venue other than a nightclub. The sound system was great, too. On top of that, it didn't cost you anything.

All in all, I thought it was a great time. I understand that many of you are upset that electronic music does not get more attention, but let's face it: it's still a niche market in America. Be happy that MTV gave it any attention at all.

As for booing Our Lady Peace off the stage, that's not cool. They were out there pouring out a ton of energy and they played a great set. If you want others to accept electronic music, you need to accept other forms of music, also. Dissing other performers is not constructive. By having bands like Our Lady Peace perform on the same bill as DJs, it allows for fans of rock music to become exposed to dance music. That can only help, right?

Moby's stage show was excellent, I thought. Although I'm not a huge fan of all of his music, his incredible level of energy was impressive. I really like the turntablist--it was a good use of the turntable as a musical instrument.

Stay positive, people!

Peace,

David Christopher

www.headrushmusic.com

Originally posted by headrushmusic

All in all, I thought it was a great time. I understand that many of you are upset that electronic music does not get more attention, but let's face it: it's still a niche market in America. Be happy that MTV gave it any attention at all.

see, i don't mind that electronic music doesn't get a lot of attention because if it did, we'd have to deal with massive crowds every time a big dj came to town (oh wait, we already have to deal with that)

but if mtv is going to go to the effort to book a great dj, then they should do it right. i'm sure they had enough resources to realize that sasha was going to draw the majority of the crowd and that he deserves to have longer than an hour set.

I agree, and let's keep in mind what would actually happen to the music if it did get more attention.

I picture MTV embrassing electronic and I can't help but feel that we'd have this whole Brittney Spears culture for electronic with kids running around with sasha head shots on their tee shirts. Scary thought.

Originally posted by hotcheme

see, i don't mind that electronic music doesn't get a lot of attention because if it did, we'd have to deal with massive crowds every time a big dj came to town (oh wait, we already have to deal with that)

but if mtv is going to go to the effort to book a great dj, then they should do it right. i'm sure they had enough resources to realize that sasha was going to draw the majority of the crowd and that he deserves to have longer than an hour set.

Originally posted by tottallyoff

Yeah. Right after sasha walked off. Almost everyone arund me just turned and started walking towards the exit. Moby started doing the whole shtick about pee and transvestites and titanic.... WTF? SHUT UP! Just because you sold a million or 2 of records doesnt mean you can be an idiot. Yeah, but you get what you pay for.

LMAO, ... thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ....

You know, when I was young, and lived in Connecticut, played a guitar at the age 8, started .... STFU ....

I arrived toward the end of the "our lady peace" preformance, which sounded pretty nasty

Sasha's set was great for the very short time that he was there -but the the interruptions and sound going dead were terrible (I thought maybe technical problems, but then Moby didn't have any interrruptions)

- I like Moby's old stuff, so I was happy that he came out with that piano thing and then Go -but the rest of his tracks/ songs were horrible/nasty stuff

-I think he's really giving electronic music a bad reputation

I couldn't see that well from where I was, but it looked like he was running around and singing

-I think he was singing along with the loops in "Next is the E" -which is retarded

-I haven't really liked anything that he's produced since Everything is Wrong

-any respect that I had for moby because of his old stuff has been extinguished

Originally posted by djqwest

I agree, and let's keep in mind what would actually happen to the music if it did get more attention.

I picture MTV embrassing electronic and I can't help but feel that we'd have this whole Brittney Spears culture for electronic with kids running around with sasha head shots on their tee shirts. Scary thought.

yeah but i'm not too worried cause i can't see MTV embracing music that doesn't have a lot of words.

Man I feel sorry for all those people who busted their ass to get tickets......I looked high and low making phone calls and sending emails (thanks David :aright: ) and didn’t get any in the end...we decided to head down anyway and we got in without a problem from what I could see they weren’t even looking at tickets that people had.....it's a really sly way of keeping too many people from going :rolleyes: .

As for the gig itself....I didn’t think it was too bad...(How much fun do u expect to have before 10pm)...

Our Lady Peace probably played a good set if your were into that kind of thing but I just spent the time waiting for them to say "this is our last song for the night " I thought it would never come....

It sucked that the power went out for Sasha...I'm not sure it was sabotage though...the rest of his set was really brilliant but not half long enough.....

I thought Moby was good but I wish he would keep his mouth shut and not prove to us what a Muppet he is...(.what was that shit about the rats eating his stomach!!!!)

All in all Free and pre 10pm.........it wasn’t bad

:deal:

Oh goodness I had a laugh. This girl next to me kept saying,.....

“Who is this “Sasha”, I’ve never heard of her.”

Then she said, “I think someone’s hair is burning!”

Girl-that was not hair burning.

The band in the beginning was so annoying. I don't know why they would book a band with that demenor at a show like that.

I don’t know were any of you were but the crowds around me kept screaming, “Sasha!!” Then when they played their last song, I felt terrible for them, everyone was cheering. Yet, I don’t think that we were cheering because it was good.

I felt terrible for Sasha when the sound went down on him…twice! But he took it with grace. I left after he spun.

Overall, I had a good laugh. It’s MTV, it’s what I figured it would be.

:laugh:

Originally posted by crowina

Oh goodness I had a laugh. This girl next to me kept saying,.....

“Who is this “Sasha”, I’ve never heard of her.”

Then she said, “I think someone’s hair is burning!”

Girl-that was not hair burning.

The band in the beginning was so annoying. I don't know why they would book a band with that demenor at a show like that.

I don’t know were any of you were but the crowds around me kept screaming, “Sasha!!” Then when they played their last song, I felt terrible for them, everyone was cheering. Yet, I don’t think that we were cheering because it was good.

I felt terrible for Sasha when the sound went down on him…twice! But he took it with grace. I left after he spun.

Overall, I had a good laugh. It’s MTV, it’s what I figured it would be.

:laugh:

if you were behind the scaffold...that was probably my group...i was the dude with the bandana and windbreaker on...

First of all, I'm glad I didn't bother to get tickets! I walked right onto the Pier when I got there at 7:30, but it was claustrophobic central so I decided to leave and watch from the fence -- much better.

Anyway, yeah Our Lady Peace was embarrassing, but I felt bad for them when people started screaming for Sasha.

Sasha is my hero so obviously I enjoyed his set. It *sucked* that they had so many technical difficulties but don't buy the conspiracy theory - come on, MTV knew 90% of the crowd was there to hear him so I don't see why they'd deliberately do something that would turn the audience into an angry mob!

So, yes the sound problems sucked and yes his set was far too short, but the bottom line is WE ALL GOT TO SEE SASHA FOR FREE! How often does that happen?

I hadn't heard Xpander live since S&D's anniversary party at Twilo (RIP) over 3 years ago, so that made my week.

Thankfully, I left before Moby came on, so all in all, I had a great time.

Nobody cares! Wait, you had a bandana on? Cool :rolleyes:

only plebeians such as yourself dont care...

others who wish to establish a connection with the possibility of special individual interest, on the other hand, do...

Did you call me a plebeian? Oh... It's on now.

By the way.... Target has a sale on bandanas. 5 for a dollar. Get um while ya can. They're going fast. FOCKER!

Originally posted by highmay

only plebeians such as yourself dont care...

others who wish to establish a connection with the possibility of special individual interest, on the other hand, do...

Did you call me a plebeian? Oh... It's on now.

By the way.... Target has a sale on bandanas. 5 for a dollar. Get um while ya can. They're going fast. FOCKER!

that was as weak as your jumpshot...

in through with you...now kill yourself...

Bro, you're the one wearing bandanas, that's weak. I do however have a weak jumpshot. Not really into Basketball anymore, I spend my time on the internet, chasing rocket scientists such as yourself.

With Luv

Qwest.

Originally posted by highmay

that was as weak as your jumpshot...

in through with you...now kill yourself...

Some people are saying things like -

"Well it was free, so you can't blame them for trying..." And that

"at least MTV booked Sasha instead of some pop band..."

And to that I say - If you cannot do it well, don't do it at all. Maybe MTV should have invited Britney Spears and done their thing for 13 y/o girls. Or maybe they should have charged money and concentrated more on the quality than their stupid VMA advertisement.

The point is, American MTV is not ready for Sasha, for his music, for his crowd. So the fact that they brought thousands and thousands of people who expected a truly great event (Sasha and Digweed outside!!!), and then pretty much told the whole crowd to go F*** themselves - that's a little discomforting.

By the way, my friends think that John Digweed probably expected this out of MTV, so he called out sick.

almost went now im glad i didn t go yea ur right the american audience ain t ready for the likes of sasha an the whole scene an it sux imo cause its bout time the masses breaks out of the monotony of what they call "music" but they aren t dun even wanna try to learn or hear bout it :mad: sorry just ventin

Not sure if music with lyrics is the issue, if MTV figures a way to market the music... look out.

I really don't see this happening anytime soon. First of all, as much as people hate to admit it, MTV is very representative of the American music scene and what Americans want to see. Notice that I didn't say "hear" because it has very little to do with the music. Since MTV has become the dominant social force in the music industry (mainly over the last 5 years), the main requirement to being successful is having a marketable image. Yes, there are artists that have survived since before this began but you would be hard pressed to name many newcomers that succeeded without doing so. Obviously the pop groups and rappers fit into this mold, as do the majority of bands. I haven't heard them much, but it seems that a lot of the hype surrounding such bands as the Strokes, Hives, White Stripes, etc has as much to do with their look and anything else.

So my point is this: Unless something drastic changes in the way that American music is marketed and sold, you will not see electronic music or DJs attain the same level of commercial success that they have overseas. Americans need to have an image to go along with the music - it fits into their celebrity worship complex. Electronic (and I am talking about house, techno, dnb, all dance music as well) is too anonymous. The few artists that succeed in a popular sense are those such as Moby, who also relies on image (and a lot of marketing hype).

BTW, Digweed really was sick - he canceled a few dates in Europe because of it and Tenaglia himself mentioned it on his site.

~~im glad people realize the difference between american mtv and european mtv..............i dont watch mtv here at all but when i go to russia thats all i watch.....european mtv actually plays music about 90% of the day instead of having dumb shows that have nothing to do with music like the real world ( i like the real world but i think shows like that fuck up the essence of what mtv should be)........mtv there supports rock concerts and when i was there in august all the commercial were about the big techno 3 day concert type thing...........i saw techno videos played alongside with rock and pop videos and people request them so they are always in the top ten........america is way below europe no matter what they try to say................american mtv sux!:mad:

sorry me was venting :shades2: