Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Where were you 09/11/01?

um i know this is a sensitve subject ... (and i am biting the lead off another board)... but

Where were you when the planes struck? and when the buildings fell?

**i woke up late that mrning, and was running around my apt when the first plane hit. They announced it on the radio and i turned on the tv. This is when eveyrone initially thought it was an accident, so i hurried to get on the subway to work (cuz i figured the trains would probably stop and didnt want to be even more late)

When the second plane hit, i was on the train and was stuck for about 40 minutes. When they finally let us off, i remeber climbing out and hearing the god awful rumble and watched the first bldg fall. I continued to walk to work (another 40 blocks) bc i was hoping that the phones were up and running so i could call my family and friends to tell them i was ok. Cell phones were down and the payphones were 15 deep. Then i remember hearing the second rumble. I finally got to work, made the calls and grabbed my friend who had nowhere to go (she lived in ct). we walked 100 blocks back to my apt. i was glued to my tv for the rest of the evening. the day was over in a heartbeat**

later on that night, i found out that i girl i grew up with was on one of the planes *RIP lynn goodchild*

I cant believe its been almost a year. its freaky how much i remember from this day -- i cant even remember what i wore last week, but i remember almost step for step what happened that day.

a 09/11 tribute page

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by nycchic24

um i know this is a sensitve subject ... (and i am biting the lead off another board)... but

I was over in Okinawa JA, just about to go to bed when I heard some people talking out side my room. I asked them whats up and they said to turn on the tv and check out the news. Turned it on and there it was..... Dont think i slept too much after being glue to the TV and trying to call my pops all night.

I was home. I had off of school that day (tuesday) or i had class later that night (not sure) but I woke up ealry to babysit and i fell asleep on the couch in my living room. My mom came home and turned on the TV.Whn I woke up all i saw what the building with smoke and i had no dea what was going on. I trie forever to call my friend jessie b/c her father is in the NYFD. Thankfully he was on another call and didnt make it to the towers till later. But his whole department was one of the dept's that was totally wiped out that day :(.

To be a little more detailed, I was actually in class when a school official came into our class room and told us that the towers had been struck. Two or three students rushed out of the room because they had family either in the towers or in the vicinity of the strike.

Class was obviously dismissed, and a large screen in our amphitheater was turned on so the student body could watch what was going on. At least a quarter of the students were hysterical because they knew someone in the towers.

The towers fell while we were watching the broadcast and the most firghtful chorus of shrieks and yells I have ever heard were let out by the hundreds of people watching.

Train service was out and virtually no one could get home. I walked home taking the west side highway, walking about 8-10 miles to the Bronx with several thousand other people.

I over slept for school when I got a call from my dad telling me that I aint go anywhere.....He told me what happened and I turned on the TV and my jaw just dropped.....My uncle was staying with me so we were watching the TV for alittle bit before we went on the roof to see all of this.....While we were up there we saw the first tower go down......We went back inside and saw the second one fall down....At that moment I realized that my cousin went to hs just a few blocks from the trade center....HS of Economics and Finance....I called my cousin's house to see if anyone had heard from him....Luckily they let them out about 5 minutes before the first tower fell.....But instead of getting out of there my cousin decided to watch this for alittle bit....Then the tower fell....He started running and didnt stop to look back until he was on the Brooklyn Bridge.....He got home alittle before 11 and was pretty shaken up for the next few days.......

I was in COBOL class, this kid Greg came in late and was all out of breath. He started rambling about how a plane struck Tower 1.

No one really beleived him; a short while after he went to go get a stapler from the professors office, apparently the radio was on and he came running back exclaiming that tower 2 was struck.

What a sad day :(

i was on my roof watching the whole thing...i had lost my job the day before and had the news on. i live right over the river in brooklyn at the time. saw the 2nd plane, the buildings fall, etc. etc. saw people jumping.

the next day i was down at the recovery site helping the firemen and stuff.

lost one person on the plane and 10 in the buildings...but over 30 people i know made it out ok...i still won't look at the list of names.

honestly...I don't want to remember that day...Reading everyone's response rekindeled that chilling fear I felt all day...and for the rest of that week after 9/11/01.

What I would like to remember is the unity we all felt in the coming days, weeks, and months after the fact. I would like to remember any brave soul who lost their lives to this unworldly tragedy. I would like to remember how we ALL came together to contribute whatever we could...money, blood, food...etc. I would like to remember how as a nation, we all comforted each other...by sticking together.

On a personal note... I would like to remember getting together with family and friends that night...and just talking and spending quality time...amongst all the horrible, horrible news.

...it's really a shame only such a tragedy bears the power to unite us all...but...I guess by that our unity was proven...if not always evident.

~God Bless All~

I was in school..going to my 1st class..talking to my best friend..he was telling me that there was an accident and some plain flew into one of the towers...five minutes later..he started yelling that it wasnt an accident but it was a terrorist attack and another plain hit the second tower..I was so scared because my cousin works a block away from the WTC. I walked into my class, shaking, and my professor asked me if I was ok...but I couldn't say anything because I was so shocked..I just started crying.

The class was later canceled..

While walking on campus...I heard car radios on with the latest news..and people running around and crying...

One of the saddest days EVER :(

I remember i'd just gone to Vinyl that friday before... and it was the BEST night i'd ever had in my life.

Danny was waving an american flag and this awesome house track chanting "america" was playing. We were feeling so incredibly wonderful and a group of my friends were with me that night. i'd managed to drag them down from albany on an impulse. That's a rare thing.

We'd looked up at the towers before and after we'd been in the club. I remember us all saying to each other how wonderful it felt to be in the city and dance all night and when we left, how everything looked so beautiful and majestical (the towers) and serene...

tuesday morning i was sitting in my living room ready to go to class, and turned on NBC at 8:30

shortly thereafter i watched everything happen.

I remember being paralyzed and just unable to fathom what was going on... and i remember that last scene in my head on saturday morning when we all saw those towers for the last time.

TV was gruesomely detailed. I remember thinking "those towers are going to fall. they have got to get everybody out. i wonder when they'll collapse..."

I can't see how people would think they WOULDN"T collapse, considering how many THOUSANDS of degrees jet fuel burns at.

When i saw it happen on tv, my heart turned to ice :(

I was sleeping when my Mom came in my room and started yelling for me to get up that they were crashing planes into the world trade, I was like what is going on? Then in panic shes telling me they thought it was a drunk pilot or something who hit the first but another one hit and i went downstairs to watch the TV and me and her just sat there like OMG just stunned. Then my Dad whos a cop came home and got his gun because all the cops were out out to watch the Long Island Railroad and such. I just basically sat there for hours and watched the TV, scared, confused and knowing that people were dying. I made calls to all my family who was in that day and found out they were all on their way home..:( :( :(

sitting in some bullshit urban studies class me and my boy took just for an easy A . my boy comes in all late...and tells me 2 planes hit the WTC..i say hes bullshittin and i check my nextel internet and ...sure enough it was true....

we bolt out of our classroom..run to the quad @ school..and from our library u can c the manhattan skyline. so we're sittin there with 20 ppl watchin this shit..and boom! one building falls...we run and get our books from the class (although fuckin queens college didnt cancel classes til like 12pm that day)...by the time we get back..the other building collapses.

it was sick ..people were cryin..some kids kept gettin calls on their cellphones talkin about a bomb in front of the state dept. , 9 hijacked planes..all types of shit

after the 2nd building falls..our boy calls us ..he worked in the WTC and begins to tell us all types of horror stories ...strangely the kid wasnt shaken up..

i get home..theres like 50 messages on the machine..everyone i know from europe called..my sister is buggin out cause our parents arent home...and my mom works 10 mins from the WTC...so we wait..and she finally calls and says shes ok..

my dad who works @ jfk as an avionics engineer calls me up and fucking asks me y JFK is closed because he was in the hangar all day ...i tell him and being that he's around planes 10 hrs a day it hits him hard.....he just stays quiet on the phone and tells me he'll b home soon..

sick sick sick day man

I was on my way to work, walking through Times Square when I notice a group of people looking up at the large TV screen over the ABC studios. I looked up and saw the flames coming out of Tower 1, and as I watched I saw the second plane fly into tower 2. Since there was no sound on the TV, there was much speculation. I decided to walk the rest of the way to work. When I arrived the entire office was at a standstill, there are TV's throughout so everybody was glued to them. My Co. was the largest tenant in the towers so there were numerous calls placed, with no responses (12 died) We all watched the towers fall and immediately after the second fell my friend and myself thought it would be a good time to get out of there. We walked the 50 blocks to his apt. and watched the events unfold on TV. Later on I was able to get into contact with my parents who were both in the city, I then walked 55 blocks to meet them, passing the procession of people walking uptown. We then all took the train home together, got home and then continued the TV vigil. I think about 9/11 every single day, w/o fail.

How often is it on everybody else's mind?

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

after the 2nd building falls..our boy calls us ..he worked in the WTC and begins to tell us all types of horror stories ...strangely the kid wasnt shaken up..

i know someone too who was down at ground zero when the bldgs fell and worked at ground zero for the next month. (he works in tv production) it still hasn't phased him either. he's walked through the morque, gone out to staten island to the trash site nad done all the numerous tours for all the "dignitaries" -- nothing.

i dont wana get graphic here..but he called us and said "SON I JUST SAW SOME WOMAN GET SPLIT IN HALF BY A LIGHT POLE"....i was like WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA...he replies " YEH..FUCKED UP SHIT HERE"....

people react differently in these types of situations...but it also helps that he's 6'3 250lbs of muscle and was raised in the projects...

Originally posted by donstyles

I was over in Okinawa JA, just about to go to bed when I heard some people talking out side my room. I asked them whats up and they said to turn on the tv and check out the news. Turned it on and there it was..... Dont think i slept too much after being glue to the TV and trying to call my pops all night.

~~are u in the marines by any chance i know its :otopic:

i know someone too who was down at ground zero when the bldgs fell and worked at ground zero for the next month. (he works in tv production) it still hasn't phased him either. he's walked through the morque, gone out to staten island to the trash site nad done all the numerous tours for all the "dignitaries" -- nothing.

~~strangely the ppl who were the closest to wtc site are the least affected...i was 3 blocks from there at school....im not shaken up at all i thank fully noone who i know there died!....low flying planes freak me out tho...but honestly to me it all seems like a bad movie.........my friend a psychiatrist says that the fact that im pretty much unaffected is a defense mechanism to trauma...i just know how to deal with it internally and it doesn t mean im insensitive....R.I.P WTC!!!

Originally posted by sexxyh

~~strangely the ppl who were the closest to wtc site are the least affected...i was 3 blocks from there at school....im not shaken up at all i thank fully noone who i know there died!....low flying planes freak me out tho...but honestly to me it all seems like a bad movie.........my friend a psychiatrist says that the fact that im pretty much unaffected is a defense mechanism to trauma...i just know how to deal with it internally and it doesn t mean im insensitive....R.I.P WTC!!!

yea... wut she said