Clubplanet Nightlife Community

i think 75% of clubbers/promoter do not have a clue...

why is it that the whole dance/club scene is so poor when compared to europe?

especially the NY scene. I have lived in NY all my life and I hate the fact that there is not one club/Dj who rocks trance on a weekly basis.

Miami is the closest thing i have seen to what the scene is like in sweden/england

trance is so huge worldwide. but trance is at most a guest DJ type thing in NY. whats the deal with that.

its like enough with all the dark progressive and tribal house that you hear everywhere.

other than arc, and centro the musc everywhere else is poor.

and whats the deal with KTU.. are they ever gonna get with the program and stop playing all this commercial cheese vocals.

to be honest im glad labels like Stricly are closing

in wmc this past yr people like mike mcdavid and george calle were made fools of by the people because they do not sign so much good stuff that is offered to them.

they do not broaden their horizons.

i was in the listening panel and i heard two insane trance records played and george calle one of the listeners and the guy from robbins were like, they are at best ok.

me and everyone else in the place said what the hell is wrong with these guys.

I mean obviosuly i am a big trance fan and stuff...

but what i am saying is there must be a reason labels like tsunami, blackhole, idt, captivating are doing so well and domestics like strictly and tommy boy are going under.

and i do not think its all due to poor management

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you're right about 75% of promoters being clueless...

but it also has to do with 90% of promoters, producers and record label execs being money driven. Face it - commercial shit sells.

Also, it's a really subjective thing as to what constitutes a "good track" versus a "bad track"... it's a lot of opinion and it weighs a lot on what people's tastes are.

definelty you are right about that.

but theres a clear difference between a hex hector so called trance production and a ferry corsten/armin trance vocal production

its gotta start somewhere..

trance is commercial in europe

look at the huge festivals, played all over radio

broadcasted worldwide on the net/ used in commercials

thats commercial to me/ def not underground

The lack of trance has little to do with why the scene just isn't what it used to be... Sorry, but IMO almost all trance blows donkey dick... I am a huge househead- and speaking as someone whose music is represented, I still think that the scene is majorly lacking these days...

being an old fuck that i am, and living in NYC my whole life, and for knowing the london,amsterdam scene preaty well 2,

NYC has always kinda been a house city.....

dating back to.....the 80's

garage.....shelter......flow.....2000...... jr.......hex........danny......

larry....... the majority of nyc, is a house city

Deap dirty New york house.

Trance kicked during the twilo era, and on empty floors at the tunnel, but trance was never a Ny thing and personally, i like it like that, im really sick of trance, im sick of the same tracks, the same dj's NY or Euro....its just killing me, every club in ny for like 2 years was blasting that shit....im happy to see Ny kinda forming a house Trend lately.....and seeing some ny up and coming dj's kinda make a splash......and it wouldnt happen for smaller Venues.....and vinyl.....so be proud....iv been to Europe and i dont get the fucking hype.....lol

im proud to be a Ny house head, cant take in enought of it.

"let the music play"

:laugh:

j

yo u are missing the point though

whether nyc has been a house or trance crowd is not the problem

the problem is that the music coming out of the states is obviously not of the same quality from europe.

why are we licensing all their music and bringin it on the domestic.

how much of our dance music is europe licensing.

if u go and look at all these online record stores in england, amsterdam, etc... just look and see how much music comes from the states.

its all their shit.

and there must be a reason for it.. if the dance was good theres no reason they wouldnt buy it.. ie.. look at creamer remix of rapture.. excepted worldwide.. so its not the US/Europe barrier

its the music coming out of the states

producers like hex hector and all the cheesy ass shit that they play on KTU.

LETS KEEP MAKING THIS SHIT SO WE STAY LOCKED UP IN THE LITTLE BUBBLE WE CALL NYC

And dont tell me NY is not a trance town because when tiesto comes to town or tall paul, or PVD-- the club has more people than any other Club that night..

lets see all these house DJ's bring these crowds

then tell me NY is not a trance crowd to some extent.

Originally posted by buredf

And dont tell me NY is not a trance town because when tiesto comes to town or tall paul, or PVD-- the club has more people than any other Club that night..

lets see all these house DJ's bring these crowds

then tell me NY is not a trance crowd to some extent.

The only reason Tiesto, PVD etc. bring in a crowd is because they are world-class DJs that don't have a residency in New York. So of course when they come to town, people want to hear them whenever they get the chance. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 "house" DJs(as you call them) that pack their party each and every Friday & Saturday. They have their followers, just like your fave trance DJs. But a wise man once said, "You can't judge a DJ by the quantity of people, the quality of the people listening is what matters.

I have to agree w/both Big Poppa and Jay... Sadly, even the quality of music has little to nothing to do with the quality of the crowd... How do you improve the quality of the crowd, improve the vibe??? :confused: Even lesser-known djs will, eventually, become big-names, and then everyone and their grandmother is packing in to see them spin... that's just the way it goes.

NYC has always been and will always continue to be a House town. Yes, when tiesto and company come to town, we go out and check them out, becuase we don't get them that often here.

Same with Carl Cox...

the thing is... the US does put out some excellent house - I mean REALLY excellent house. It's very hard to find, and not everyone plays it, but it's out there. The big labels sometimes put out great tracks, but the second they're out, everyone grabs them and they no longer sound "special" anymore.

Trance was never really a NYC thing, so of course you might not find that sound you're looking for as easily as you would over in europe...

but for good solid house, nothing beats the states. Europe's house tends to be more progressive in nature, (yes even more proggy than the shit a lot of NYC's been producing as of late), and the sound tends to me a tad more commercialized. Listen to almost anything off a european label, such as Junior, twisted or Hooj... and it's the sound you'll hear in every big club all over the world.

Listen to some kicking stuff from Plastica Red, or Fluential, or NRK and you're hearing some good US house that moves your ass throughout the whole night. You probably won't remember it... you'll probably remember that one "made in europe" anthem track in the middle of the night that DJ whoever dropped and the crowd went wild... but there's a lot of good american house that keeps people glued to the floor and without it, you wouldn't have half as much fun.

ok but you guys are missing the point

why is the NY scene not the same as in Europe

whether its house or trance the US dance scene is not what it is in europe

and the people are not buying the music like they are in europe

thats been the main premise of this

so does it really matter what kind of music it is

trance/house

regardless of whether its trance or house, nyc clubs suck balls. there fucking garbage, too many little kids and idiots who think they are hot shit cuz they all have spikes in their hair and wear tanks with sunglasses in the club, or the young hoochies with attitude who think they are reallly more than just walking pussy. the music is shit because nyc clubbing is about image not about music, id rather go to an underground grimey warehouse rave anyday but thats not so ez.

as for the lack of trance and preeminence of house in nyc, you have to look at the origins of music. house has been largely influenced by the black gay clubs of philadelpha in the 70's, so its natural that house would spread to new york and take over. as for trance, i love it, wish there was more around.imo the clubs in new york are pretty much all the same, no variation at all. i really wish there was more diversity in the music, crowds, and venues, but it seems to be all about hype.

i think the only party i really wanna check out is centrofly, i keep hearing its great, but im not 21=(

it has to do with the labels and the people

and the way it is marketed in the US by the promoters and those are the guys who dictate the scene..

as far as labels go.

the point is that these labels arent surviving because they arent putting out music that is making them enough money to stay afloat. and all we talk about is the music being commercialized for so much money... but all of our dance labels are going under.

why is it in Europe practically every major name has his own label, IE, Tsunami Ferry, Armin, Armind, Oakie Perfecto, etc and the list can go on.

And its not just the trance guys because mauro piccotto has bxr

tiesto blackhole which is lookin more towards progressive

why is it we arent seeing this in the states?

this is another part of the problem

For example.. JP Being the prominent NY Dj that he is.

where is his label? where is all the good releases?

the problem is there are so few people like Creamer who DJ's and runs a label who branch out and release good music.

IT ALL STEMS FROM THE MUSIC MY FRIENDS

You people all say that strictly put out these sick tracks.

as far as i am concerned not good enough to keep them afloat--

pretty sad

Well, I can't say anything about the labels... I don't know enough about which track is produced by whom on which label in what country...

All I can really say, obvious as it may be, is that NY is not Europe... this is why our club scene is not like the European scene. It's a completely different environment. Even within NYC itself, clubbing today is nothing like clubbing of even only 5 years ago, much less 10, 15 yrs ago... it's all because of the change in environment within this city... things just ain't the way they used to be...

isn't jp's label deepr rekords or something liek that? Heard him once - not for me.

How is a producer running his own label a testament to the success of his music? Making music is an artform, running a business is not. Besides, any asshole can come up w/ a name and have a logo printed in the center of their records. Any of the pressing plants will do it for you.

Accessible house = acessible trance. Besides arpeggiation there is lil difference in te foundation of a "pick your least/most favorite" ny big room hard house track and eurotrance.

More syncopation please

fewer vocals please, unless you really have something to say that is differnet.

either add more soul or remove it, no middle grounds.

Im not expecting techno to dominate ny anytime soon, but mediocre music is mediocre music.

Originally posted by buredf

For example.. JP Being the prominent NY Dj that he is.

where is his label? where is all the good releases?

He has his own label, but likes to keep his crowd "on there toes" every weekend, coming back to hear him play his songs. Everyone knows his style is like no other. AS far as releases..well Lately , Everyones into LUZ . Its What the child needs . Theres more, but I've Been Thru it (6,8,12 Times) and theres no Desire to keep Goin thru it . :tongue:

Originally posted by bmw4jay

He has his own label, but likes to keep his crowd "on there toes" every weekend, coming back to hear him play his songs. Everyone knows his style is like no other. AS far as releases..well Lately , Everyones into LUZ . Its What the child needs . Theres more, but I've Been Thru it (6,8,12 Times) and theres no Desire to keep Goin thru it . :tongue:

You silly bastard....No ones gonna change you. It would take much more than The Power of One to keep you down. But one day youll understand. Youll see What You Did To Me and you will know how it feels To Be Able to Love again, and when you do, youll know for sure that My Love is Your Love

For Right Now just remember that Wherever You Go I will be there for you, no matter if you are Gay or Straight, so keep your head up, dont let the bad people Corrupt you and always Let The Sunshine In

but JP doesnt have any of his own songs ;)

BG

Originally posted by ibclubbin

You silly bastard....No ones gonna change you. It would take much more than The Power of One to keep you down. But one day youll understand. Youll see What You Did To Me and you will know how it feels To Be Able to Love again, and when you do, youll know for sure that My Love is Your Love

For Right Now just remember that Wherever You Go I will be there for you, no matter if you are Gay or Straight, so keep your head up, dont let the bad people Corrupt you and always Let The Sunshine In

but JP doesnt have any of his own songs ;)

BG

Hahahah.

you are a feg.gif

Originally posted by Randy

More syncopation please

fewer vocals please, unless you really have something to say that is differnet.

either add more soul or remove it, no middle grounds.

oh cmon those tracks have so much to say......original, deep personal thoughts, insightful commentary like ya know....i need you tonight, oh yeah. baby one more time, one more night love me again woo hoo dont you leave me tonight waa haa.

:blown: