Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Strike!

anyone come down the west side hghway? anyone have room for one more?!

for ppl that commute intothe city have y'all figured out something on Monday? AFter watching the news last night and seeing the Head of the Union tell Bloomberg to "shuttup!" (:laugh: ), I am fearing the worst and preparing to walk 100 blocks (bc i know i wont be able to catch a cab)

anyone?! anyone? BUeller?! :(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess i should buy you 10 pairs of walking sneakers for x-mas

i am fortunate enough to live on the other side of the river...i can afford to wait it out...best of luck to you all...but truth be told, i dont think this will last longer than three days if indeed it even transpires...imo

fuck NYC, that's all i'm saying. THe most politically twisted touchie-feelie crowded piece of shit there is on earth.

Bloomberg has managed to take a city that was on the way to recovery after Sept. 11th and completely strangle both it and the citizen's morale

I wouldn't turn my back on him yet. While he has thrown out some ridiculous legislation, he's been in office for less than a year! I didn't vote for him, but I'm not going to throw out concrete opinions of him until I see exactly what comes out of his actions.

Originally posted by xpander

I wouldn't turn my back on him yet. While he has thrown out some ridiculous legislation, he's been in office for less than a year! I didn't vote for him, but I'm not going to throw out concrete opinions of him until I see exactly what comes out of his actions.

yeah and the other thing is, you can't put all the blame of this on bloomberg. the MTA isn't helping the situation much either.

Originally posted by hotcheme

yeah and the other thing is, you can't put all the blame of this on bloomberg. the MTA isn't helping the situation much either.

i was just about to say this....bloomberg is not part of the negotiations.....its between the mta and the union.....the whole nation is in a slump so i agree you can't blame everything on bloomberg.....i also don't smoke, but if i did....maybe that would change my mind...

Originally posted by underwater

i was just about to say this....bloomberg is not part of the negotiations.....its between the mta and the union.....the whole nation is in a slump so i agree you can't blame everything on bloomberg.....i also don't smoke, but if i did....maybe that would change my mind...

yeah the smoking issue is entirely different - he is crazy for that one.

Originally posted by hotcheme

I'm wondering why no one is putting any blame on Pataki? He's the one who can actually step in and clear some of the mess.

For all the blame that Bloomberg is getting from this transit mess, would someone like to point out to me exactly what he has done to merit everybody hating his ass? The negotiations are between the MTA and the TWU, not the Bloomberg administration. As for the passenger limits? There are 4.3 million subway riders in the system EVERYDAY. If you use even a generously conservative estimate, one quarter of them will resort to automobiles to come into the city. That's around one million cars coming into the city everyday. Passengers? Fine, cut it down to about 550,000. Keep in mind that this number DOES NOT INCLUDE metro north, LIRR, and any kind of bus service.

I'm glad he's at least trying something. The guy's enforcing fines and trying to file injunctions to stop the strike and people're giving him shit cuz they can't drive into NYC as freely as they used to. I wish I could hear people complain about how BS the passenger restrictions were if Bloomberg didn't create the restrictions and there's a million other cars ahead of them trying to get into the city.

Originally posted by xpander

I'm wondering why no one is putting any blame on Pataki? He's the one who can actually step in and clear some of the mess.

the last election showed how easily Pataki can avoid blame and shovel it on others

i'm actually in favor of the smoking ban

but bloomberg's tax plan and board of ed plans have pissed me off to no end

• 3 years later...

I wonder if the transit workers are enjoying their day off at a cost of up to $400 a day in lost wages? They can make it up upon retirement, at age 55, by starting a second career, since today's life expectancy for men is about

77, women, 80. Oh, wait, I forgot, transit workers like sitting around doing nothing, and getting paid $25, plus time & a half for overtime, an hour with free health benefits. So I guess that's all they'll be doing upon retirement, sitting on their asses, rather than being productive members of society. Anyway, their skills will be quite limited, as they are now. Their customer service skills suck, and driving a bus or train doesn't exactly translate into other job skills, like say, um, being a medical technician, electrician, plumber, doctor, nurse, secretary, receptionist, nurse, restaurant manager, entrepreneur. At age 55, they won't want to start an entry level position or gain new job skills, so we'll have a bunch of unhealthy, unhappy, unproductive old folks. And studies have shown that after retirement, unless you're a really outgoing person with a lot of hobbies, social contacts, and outlets for physical activity, that the downhill slide into illness and death is pretty fast.

So what are they fighting for? Are these jobs really all that desirable? They have to fight and whine and inconvenience an entire city for a raise and pension benefits? Don't these people understand that this is a free market society and they can get other jobs where they can learn and grow, and get raises based on MERIT and if they don't like it, they can go somewhere else? And if they can't get other jobs after leaving the MTA because of their lack of skills and recommendations, then shouldn't they just STFU and take what they get and live within their means?

Inflation affects everyone, not just union workers. It's survival of the fittest, and for the TWU, they're only as good as their weakest link, and I wouldn't want my pay raise determined by the quality of job performance, or lack thereof, of thousands of other workers who have bad attitudes and a 'gimme' mindset.

Guest gabo
I wonder if the transit workers are enjoying their day off at a cost of up to $400 a day in lost wages? They can make it up upon retirement, at age 55, by starting a second career, since today's life expectancy for men is about

77, women, 80. Oh, wait, I forgot, transit workers like sitting around doing nothing, and getting paid $25, plus time & a half for overtime, an hour with free health benefits. So I guess that's all they'll be doing upon retirement, sitting on their asses, rather than being productive members of society. Anyway, their skills will be quite limited, as they are now. Their customer service skills suck, and driving a bus or train doesn't exactly translate into other job skills, like say, um, being a medical technician, electrician, plumber, doctor, nurse, secretary, receptionist, nurse, restaurant manager, entrepreneur. At age 55, they won't want to start an entry level position or gain new job skills, so we'll have a bunch of unhealthy, unhappy, unproductive old folks. And studies have shown that after retirement, unless you're a really outgoing person with a lot of hobbies, social contacts, and outlets for physical activity, that the downhill slide into illness and death is pretty fast.

So what are they fighting for? Are these jobs really all that desirable? They have to fight and whine and inconvenience an entire city for a raise and pension benefits? Don't these people understand that this is a free market society and they can get other jobs where they can learn and grow, and get raises based on MERIT and if they don't like it, they can go somewhere else? And if they can't get other jobs after leaving the MTA because of their lack of skills and recommendations, then shouldn't they just STFU and take what they get and live within their means?

Inflation affects everyone, not just union workers. It's survival of the fittest, and for the TWU, they're only as good as their weakest link, and I wouldn't want my pay raise determined by the quality of job performance, or lack thereof, of thousands of other workers who have bad attitudes and a 'gimme' mindset.

Holy shit! I havent seen you around here in YEARS!!

The MTA are a bunch of lazy people anyway.

They do not deserve the raise they are asking for, and specially not after this strike.

Do you guys realized that an MTA worker earns more then our Police and Fire

department?

Its not the MTA,its the TWU.Let them strike,they only have 3.6 mill in there Union account,so for each day of the strike its 1 mill,hopefully that would bankrupt the Union.:)