Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Have any of you seen Tenaglia

Kuro

Drama.. My life is a drama.. There's a beginning, a middle, and no end :D

I heard Danny I don't even know how many times, lost track.. And from what I've seen, his style definitely grows on you, even if the first or second time you don't really feel it.. Seen it happen time and time again with many folks with a very wide range of musical tastes.. It also depends on his mood.. Personally, I've heard sets from him that were PHENOMENAL, but also heard a few that bored me to death..

The thing I (and most of his fans) like about him is the range of styles he hits.. For me, that's one of the most important things.. I get bored with 1 style VERY quickly, so the DJ gotta mix it up, take me on a lil roller coaster ride.. The wilder the better (Howells is much more obvious with these drastic change styles which I absolutely LOVE)..

A lot of times from what I've seen, people go to Vinyl, and at first when they hear him, they get a lil bored but then you see them getting into the groove and by the 3rd time they are in there, they are hooked.. His sets at Space are :eek: EVERYONE is there, it's absolute insanity..

And he's the coolest mothaf*cker ever and I can't even tell you how many times we just bumped into him on the street by Vinyl before he went in or at Sound Factory and other places, and he's the nicest most down-to-earth guy ever.. Lots of people don't like that he talks on the mic, but to me, even if it is a little disrupting, it just shows that he really does want to make the party more personal.. The be yourself thing with glowsticks (which I hate) and breakdancing (which i love watching) is a joke, but I guess I understand that.. The no booze thing SUCKS even though the bar would be closed at 4am which was usually the time we got there anyway LOL..

Ughh, now you made me miss Vinyl :(

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by raver_mania

Excuse me, but who the hell are you to judge other people's tastes in dance music! SO what, if prog fans just like prog, its their perogative, and has nothing to do with "knowing the industry". Yeah, DT is big and respected by most DJs but if we don't like him, we don't like him. I personally hate the fact that he talks, and prefer numerous other DJs over him.

The BE YOURSELF theme is also a farce...its "be yourself if you're like us and don't drink, or bring glowsticks, or stand arouund, etc, etc"! As long as I'm not bothering anybody else, and want to get fucked up, then that again is my perogative!

I hate when ppl get on their soapboxes and think they can lecture others on how "they don't know the industry"!

:mad:

Who am I, let's just say a well respected Dj and promoter in this industry for 15 years. I have no problem with people liking what they want, but if you know nothing of the music how can you comment on it like you know the person will be bored. Go ahead like the spoon fed music that is being done now, that is why, unfortunately, labels like Strictly Rhythm, that have been around for AGES, are out of business The industry has gotten so focused on" if you like this then this is crap." Danny plays some great progressive stuff and I have no problem with that. But having worked at some MAJOR clubs and with MAJOR DJs, I can tell you most of them play the same crap all the time, it never goes anywhere. But you look at guys like Danny, or Cox, or Deep Dish that are trying to break the mold of "play this kind of music," they tell a story with what they do, you can't pop in for an hour and understand it. You want to know why the Dance Community is hurting so bad? It's too much diversity, too much snobery. My biggest pet peeve is music purists. Guys that say oh that sux you should buy this. If the song is good it is good. If it's crap it is crap. Great progressive stuff out there, great trance stuff out there, any long time DJs here know that years ago you could grab a stack of records and out of 20 10-15 would be good or great, now I can go through 100 pieces of crud to find one good record. Yes I have opened for guys like PVD and he plays some great tracks, but most of them, if you fast forwarded through, have the same boring builds seen over and over. How long do you think it will take with the dance community divided over 100 genres, that it sees a collapse. How many DJs/Producers like myself have put our heart and soul into it just to see someone rip it apart that had no clue in the first place, or how many times have I seen my tracks downloaded and gotten nothing for my work. Hey if you are progressive trance fan and someone says I like Oakenfold but I've never seen PVD, then you should chime in and say yeah he is good, or no not impressive, but when you have absolutely no clue about a style and what has evolved from it and the history of it you have no place commenting on it. yes I know it is America and you can do whatever the hell you want, remember that the next time the largest independant dance label goes out of business.

I doubt that most people even know where the terms house and garage came from. Anyone care to try without actually tryign to look it up?

And if you want to get fucked up on drugs, then YOU ARE the problem of the industry, you are why clubs get shut down, you are killing a great thing and I think you are pieces of SH*T. Some great places have been ruined because you can't get control of your damn life. Don't even start the argument, if you do drugs you have a problem and you are only hurting every Dj and club and rave you ever attend.

Why can't you bring in glow sticks at ARC? because so many candy ass kid ravers that are there to get fu**ed up think it is cool, and that is how it got it's stigmata, because majority are whacked out of their minds. Again the few that aren't suffer for it.

BE YOURSELF is what it means. Sure I have no problem with alcohol when you are not sloppy, that was a business decision by ARC, nothing can be done. Take your candy ass raver self elsewhere if you want to do drugs, keep a face mask on with Vicks, some of us love music, and don't need anything else. When the dance epidemic hit years ago, people with no respect have quickly ruined a community that was built on good intentions for years before most of them were even born. If you need drugs and want to sit in corners all night, yes go elsewhere, please. Don't ruin it for the people that really care.

Hate it all you want, you are the type of person that is ruining a great thing.

Getting of my Soap Box now

soapbox.gif

well said mysteriousss

maybe being a friend of Danny's makes me more protective, but he has done more for the dance scene then most people know.

Another pop quiz, who is the most respected DJ that ever lived, no he is not alive anymore, and every major DJ will tell you he pioneered SO much.

Well I went to Be Yourself this Friday night/Saturday. Danny was incredible as usual. As for a referance to the style he spins is a mix of everything put together. The result a great time with incredible tracks heard nowhere else in a way no other DJ can put them together. Danny is a great DJ and a great person go see him. It is well worth it. He spins really hard around 8am. Oh yeah he talks but not to long. I don't know about you but I love to see a DJ that cares and interacts with the crowd.Truly a DJ that loves what he does.by the way Be Yourself party is having its 4 year anniversary January 31 at ARC in nyc. If you really want to hear Danny go then it will be a great night or go any other Friday night!!!

Foodidoo AKA Alwaysmyself on Dtourism

Guest jroo
Originally posted by abstractls

Oh and if you are going to Miami for WMC and have a problem with what I said let me know, we'll hook up after one of my panels so I can show the record execs the kind of people that are killing this industry.

dude, chill out. the people on this board arent candy ravers, not popping pills all time, not 8 a night or nothing, hardly ever even. we dont even tote around glow sticks. we dont wear visors, or JNCO's. no reflective straps hanging off our jogging pants, fuck we dont even wear jogging pants. most of the people on here dont even get fucked up. now i will say there are a lot of drunks on here. i believe every damn last one of us. none of us are sloppy. none of us fuck up the vibe. we start the vibe. ive never heard danny t. and i really dont give a shit on whether people like him or not. but what you have on this board , are devoted fans of the music. you totally flipped out because some people said danny talks to much when he spins. so what if he talks. some people will lilke it and some wont. you are no one special to judge people and classify people as druggies and bad for the scene if they came out to dance and not get a lecture. your predijuice is what fucks up the scene. just chill out and enjoy yourself. if you step on someones foot say your sorry and move on. the people on this board are the most devoted music fans i have ever known. and i know for a fact that even with all of your experience in the biz that YOU could even learn a few things yourself. now, chill out and respect people, and they'll respect you.

hope to see you out, when you're all calmed down some.

Jroo: :aright:

abstractls: a ton of the boarders are going to WMC (not sure if I'll be or not). I really do suggest you try to meet up with some of them, they are all awesome, friendly, talented and crazy (in a good, vibe-friendly way)! Browse the posts for a while, you'll see what I mean.

'stina :D

jroo,

it wasn't directed at you if you read raver_mania's post he talks about glowsticks and if you wants to get F'd up then that is up to him. That is what set me off, people that hurt this scene with teh drugs and stigma's that are shutting things down left and right.

I don't doubt at all that most people on here are here for the music, but it's not everyone and it was directed towards those that aren't. And my peeve isn't becasue he didn't liek Danny but somene asked how he is, and he went into he'll go once and never want to go again type thing. I don't tell people how Oeakenfold or PVD is because I'm not a fan of that style for teh most part I'd rather leave that to someon who knows what they are talking about.

And for the record if you knew me like others do I am one of teh friendliest peopel you'll ever meet, but in the past year I have had too many friends have there lives and jobs truned upside down because of druggies at clubs, or being druggies themselves, so I am known to go off then moment someone says they want to do them.

jroo,

it wasn't directed at you if you read raver_mania's post he talks about glowsticks and if you wants to get F'd up then that is up to him. That is what set me off, people that hurt this scene with teh drugs and stigma's that are shutting things down left and right.

I don't doubt at all that most people on here are here for the music, but it's not everyone and it was directed towards those that aren't. And my peeve isn't becasue he didn't liek Danny but somene asked how he is, and he went into he'll go once and never want to go again type thing. I don't tell people how Oeakenfold or PVD is because I'm not a fan of that style for teh most part I'd rather leave that to someon who knows what they are talking about.

And for the record if you knew me like others do I am one of teh friendliest peopel you'll ever meet, but in the past year I have had too many friends have there lives and jobs truned upside down because of druggies at clubs, or being druggies themselves, so I am known to go off then moment someone says they want to do them.

Alright dude, you're really starting to piss me off (and I don't easily get pissed off, just as I'm sure you're the "friendliest person around")! I was going to let this go, but you've taken it too far! First of all, where the HELL did I mention that I've only seen DT once??? People like you always love to misread posts and automatically label people as "candy ravers" or "gay" or "druggies"! I've seen DT 5 or 6 times, once with J. Digweed, once with Danny Howells, and the rest by himself. His sets are good, but LIKE I MENTIONED BEFORE I tend to prefer numerous other DJs over him! THAT IS MY PEROGATIVE! And whilst listening to these DJs if I like to have a few drinks, or get drunk and dance, without bothering anybody else, then that again IS MY PEROGATIVE. I'm writing in caps since it seems you didn't get it the first time!

Also, where in my post(s) did I mention ANYTHING about drugs? Do you think everybody who gets "fucked up" are on drugs??? And what makes you assume I'm out to "ruin the vibe" when you DON"T EVEN KNOW ME! Jesus Christ, its people like you who're destroying the scene by labelling, categorizing, and judging! What happened to the old school days of anybody and everybody being accepted for their love of music???

I might have overdone it with this post, but what you resorted to was a personal attack, when you had absolutely no basis for it! I don't care if you're John Digweed (and he's my fav DJ), but if you start judging me and saying I "ruin the scene" just because I don't like YOUR favorite DJ, then I say fuck you!

Peace!

BTW, Arc Fridays (ie, DT's nights) are filled with Sound FActory meatheads who are so high on coke and K that they wouldn't be able to tell if it was Brittney Spears spinning or Tenaglia!

I guess thats the kind of crowd you want to cater to?

:rolleyes:

PS: Sorry Mysteriousss...had to say that...does not mean all he ppl who to go SF are meatheads. ;)

Oh, and another thing. This is the music industry, which means its a business. As in any business, things evolve according to the customers' needs and wants....and guess what if the customer does not like a certain kind of music, and a record label goes of business, then that label could not evolve properly.

If you wanted to make music just for music's sake (or your sake), then make it in your studio or bedroom or garden shed but don't blame everybody if they don't like it!

The largest and longest running Dance label was Strictly Rhythm which also owned Groovilicious, they went under because of pracy nothing else. They had 2000 Djs charting a sng yet only 1000 copies were sold. No if a track sucks it sucks, god knows I've done a few bad ones in my day as well.

Alright dude, you're really starting to piss me off (and I don't easily get pissed off, just as I'm sure you're the "friendliest person around")! I was going to let this go, but you've taken it too far! First of all, where the HELL did I mention that I've only seen DT once??? People like you always love to misread posts and automatically label people as "candy ravers" or "gay" or "druggies"! I've seen DT 5 or 6 times, once with J. Digweed, once with Danny Howells, and the rest by himself. His sets are good, but LIKE I MENTIONED BEFORE I tend to prefer numerous other DJs over him! THAT IS MY PEROGATIVE! And whilst listening to these DJs if I like to have a few drinks, or get drunk and dance, without bothering anybody else, then that again IS MY PEROGATIVE. I'm writing in caps since it seems you didn't get it the first time!

Also, where in my post(s) did I mention ANYTHING about drugs? Do you think everybody who gets "fucked up" are on drugs??? And what makes you assume I'm out to "ruin the vibe" when you DON"T EVEN KNOW ME! Jesus Christ, its people like you who're destroying the scene by labelling, categorizing, and judging! What happened to the old school days of anybody and everybody being accepted for their love of music???

I might have overdone it with this post, but what you resorted to was a personal attack, when you had absolutely no basis for it! I don't care if you're John Digweed (and he's my fav DJ), but if you start judging me and saying I "ruin the scene" just because I don't like YOUR favorite DJ, then I say fuck you!

Peace!

I didn't say you went once, I said you told the otehr guy that he would probably only want to go once and not after that. 99% of the time when someoen says fucked up they mean drugs, if you meant alcohol well then control your damn drinking, you wanna get fucked up stay at home, you want to go out have some drinks and get a buzz on then that is cool. Doesn't matter what people do, there wouldn't be problems if people controlled what they intake, whethere it is drugs or alcohol, so it is easy to jump to a conclusion. Online boards often have spats liek these because one person or more takes something the wrong way, something both you and I have probably done here. But it isn't just about how someone takes it, make sure when you convey something that it comes out the right way.

And ARC is not full of coke and k heads anymore than any other club around, but that doesn't change the fact. ARC's security is among one of the best and stricktest places around in NY, and Danny is probably the biggest opponent of drugs in clubs in the industry.

And once AGAIN I didn't say you have to like my favorite DJ and anyone else, but comment on the music you know not stuff you don't know. And YES you can do whatever you want, and so do most people, again it is why the dance scene is SO divided that it is falling apart.

I'm so sick of just tech house fans, or just prog trance fans, this is why labels go out of business. Dance music is dance music, the lines are being erased.

Learn your history before you speak

and then you say...

The largest and longest running Dance label was Strictly Rhythm which also owned Groovilicious, they went under because of pracy nothing else. They had 2000 Djs charting a sng yet only 1000 copies were sold. No if a track sucks it sucks, god knows I've done a few bad ones in my day as well.

So, I'm confused, labels go out of business because prog house fans like only prog house, and trance fans like only trance, or is it because of piracy??? Please convey this the right way!

I didn't say you went once, I said you told the otehr guy that he would probably only want to go once and not after that.

Again, I ask you to please read posts carefullly? Where did I say this??? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, Arc IS full of k and coke heads! For Gods sake, I've seen people do bumps right in the open at Arc/Vinyl.

If anything, security's gotten more lax recently...the last time I was there (around NYE) they barely patted me down, and didn't even check my wallet!

I'm sorry, Arc IS full of k and coke heads! For Gods sake, I've seen people do bumps right in the open at Arc/Vinyl.

If anything, security's gotten more lax recently...the last time I was there (around NYE) they barely patted me down, and didn't even check my wallet!

i saw people with lots of goodies in there on new years and i got there at 6, and other times i've gone there, they are very inconsistent even when arriving as soon as it opens.

anyways, i dont know if a dj feel VERY strongly and is against drugs wtf does he spin where there are problems like these. you can practically get a fucking kilo of coke at space in miami if you wanted, yet DT seems to be cool with having a residency there.

DT pansies more about people tweeking his sound system than he does about drugs.

Since the tone of this thread has changed from that of informing kuro of whether or not you liked DT if and when you've seen him to something a little more - which can happen when you are talking about someone with a for lack of a better word "cult like" following - I'll chime my 2 cents in. My rambling are from experience drawn from a Saturday night at ARC - still have yet to see DT - but planning on it.

In the 4 months since I've moved from DC I've come to the conclusion that I don't mind ARC not being able to serve liquor. For people that are not inundated with the amount and quality of music that one can find on any given night here in NYC this might seem foreign and hard to grasp until you yourself experience it. ARC is my sanctuary. I can go there and listen to music - good music, played on an excellent system. Yes there may be people indulging in illegal activities and there may be people that show up all boozed up - but the amount of such people that would detract from an otherwise excellent night are so little that it doesn't even matter - you have a problem with one person - move somewhere else in the room. The fact that there is no liquor there and that there IS such a good security check (well nothing beat Buzz - but for NYC standards - this is the best I've encountered) means that there will be people there listening to the music - which is why I beleive ARC has adopted its policies.

I do head out to other venues and those nights are equally as satisfying as a night at ARC, because I'm in the mood for drinking or doing whatever and listening to music - having fun with friends or just hanging out. But there comes a time when it gets old and you need your sanctuary - you need that upclose/personal attention with the music that ARC allows you. Granted there are times when I would really like to see some of the ARC DJ's at other venues simply because I would like a drink and or a different experience, but you take what you get.

Now in reading these posts and knowing a couple of the people here I can say this... kuro - reval and raver and numerous other people have put their 2 cents in - you know them - you take their opinions as you will. As far as the whole ruining of the scene and everything - it is hard when you're passionate about something to tacke a middle approach and I don't think either raver OR abstractls did that... and rightfully so - they are both passionate about the music and that's where I'm leaving it - otherwise I'll get drawn into this whole mess.

Originally posted by sauvee88

Now in reading these posts and knowing a couple of the people here I can say this... kuro - reval and raver and numerous other people have put their 2 cents in - you know them - you take their opinions as you will. As far as the whole ruining of the scene and everything - it is hard when you're passionate about something to tacke a middle approach and I don't think either raver OR abstractls did that... and rightfully so - they are both passionate about the music and that's where I'm leaving it - otherwise I'll get drawn into this whole mess.

I'm not sure if we are both passionate about music or if I'm passionate about the music industry and he is passionate about "being himself"(not an insult just a play on DTs party), maybe you are right though. It happens more often then not that people should just agree to disagree. I'm seeing that raver_mania is more of a club goer than he is part of the business and I think that is where my anger comes from. Many of us at WMC last year sat there baffled because friends of ours were fired literally the day before the conference, one of which was the guy responsible for Signing Lenny Kravitz and Janet. So I think a stance many of us have taken is no tolerance. If I took what you said out of context raver I apologize but the VP of A&R of Virgin saw this too, and concensus is most people would have said what I said that are in this business. If I took what you said the wrong way then we'll agree to disagree, either you should have said it a different way or I should have taken it a different way, and there probably is no middle ground. But in the context that I percieved it as I do not apologize to anyone else. You say that wasn't what you meant and I'll have to take your word for it, then what I said doesn't pertain to you. But if what you said wasn't taken the wrong way then it still stands. I believe that drug wars should start at the top and not at the user, btu I have also watched a dance community that started to do really well get ripped apart by people that have no respect or care for the music they just come for the drugs. Piracy is another issue unto itself, and music snobery could be a 5 pages post, so it's hard to get into what I mean. If you don't like a style of music, do this industry a favor, and bite your tongue. I have no place commenting on how good of a DJ AK1200, or Icee is, because I neither understand or want to know the appeal. However I do know they are some of the most respected people in there genre, and go way back, so you'll never hear me say anything negative.

Middle road is to agree to just disagree

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Sweeeeeeet. I'm looking forward to that. :D

Yeah Coke in Miami that is a surprise, I seem to remember an 80s TV show that pretty much revolved around that. Has nothing to do with Space has to do with the city, and I can tell you first hand that I've watched people get popped at Space that are VERY slick. Those guys are on the ball.

I have also watched a dance community that started to do really well get ripped apart by people that have no respect or care for the music they just come for the drugs.
forgive me - I still can't get the damn thing to say who the quote was originally from....

But anyways - with regard to this quote - This is my main gripe and why there are places that serve as a sanctuary - albeit not allways impervious to outside influences and people of this sort invading your sanctuary - but non the less there are certain places that can serve to let the people that want to - listen to the music.