Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Danny Tenaglia Speaks out about NYC Nightlife!

Well here is DT's take on the situation!

(I took this from another board and thought it would be cool for everyone to read it)

Danny Tenaglia on DTOURISIM

DEAR FRIENDS OF THE NIGHTLIFE,

I AM WRITING THIS POST HERE ON THIS SUNDAY AFTERNOON TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT STATEMENT ABOUT TWO SEPARATE ISSSUES. FORGIVE ME FOR WRITING IN ALL CAPS, BUT (A) IT'S JUST EASIER AND (B), IT'S WRITTEN IN BOLD FOR A REASON.

ISSUE # 1.

WHETHER YOU BELIEVE ME OR NOT, I PERSONALLY WAS VERY SADDENED TO HEAR ABOUT THE SHUT DOWNS OF THE SF & EXIT. I TRULY DO HOPE THIS SITUATION ONLY LAST THIS ONE WEEKEND AND THEY WILL WORK IT OUT WITH THEIR LAWYERS AS THEY USUALLY DO, AND BOTH WILL BE RE-OPENED NEXT WEEK. I DON'T KNOW ALL THE FACTS EXCEPT FOR WHAT I RECEIVED IN ONE E-MAIL THAT SOMEONE FORWARDED TO ME FROM THE NEWS.

ANYHOW, I FEEL AND MADE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT AT MY PARTY THIS PAST FRIDAY AT VINYL. I SAID SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF: "IT'S SAD ENOUGH WHAT WE ARE LIVING THROUGH WITH THE CRISIS THAT OUR PLANET IS IN WITH TERRORISM AND THE THREAT OF WAR, AND THAT THIS WEEK OUR COUNTRY WAS WARNED TO BE ON "HIGH ALERT." I MADE IT VERY CLEAR THAT I WAS NOT HAPPY TO HEAR THE NEWS ABOUT SF & EXIT AND WARNED THE PEOPLE IN ATTENDANCE THAT OUR NYC NIGHTLIFE APPEARS TO BE IN SEVERE "HIGH" ALERT!

I BEGGED EVERYONE TO PLEASE STOP MISBEHAVING AND POSSIBLY RUINING SUCH A GREAT THING WE HAVE IN THIS CITY BY SADLY ABUSING DRUGS WHETHER AT HOME OR ESPECIALLY IN PUBLIC AND PUTTING ALL OF US AT RISK OF LOSING WHAT WE LOVE THE MOST, THE MUSIC & DANCING, AND TO US CLUB EMPLOYEES, "OUR LIVELIHOODS!"

NYC NEEDS THESE CLUBS TO BE RE-OPENED BECAUSE OF OVER POPULATION. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE SF ALREADY DOES GREAT IN THEIR ATTENDANCE, ESPECIALLY ON SATURDAY'S AND EVEN AS BIG AS EXIT IS, I HEAR THEY ALSO DO VERY WELL EVERY WEEK CONSIDERING HOW MASSIVE THE VENUE IS. IT'S SAD ENOUGH THAT THERE IS NO MORE TWILO OR TUNNEL, AND I HEAR EVEN LIMELIGHT AND CENTRO FLY HAVE BEEN AFFECTED IN NUMBERS OF ATTENDANCE LATELY. PS: SO HAVE WE...

AFTER THE HOLIDAY'S, IT APPEARS THAT ALL CLUBS AND BUSINESS'S TAKE A DIP AND PRAY THAT THINGS WILL QUICKLY INCREASE AGAIN. (WHICH THEY APPEAR TO BE, THANK GOD.)

MY MAIN POINT HERE IS THAT WE NEED THESE CLUBS OPENED OR ELSE EVERYONE WILL TRY TO JAM INTO ANY NIGHTCLUB THAT IS OPENED AND THEN THAT VENUE WILL OBVIOUSLY BE THE NEXT TARGET, AND THE MORE PEOPLE IN ATTENDANCE, THE MORE LIKELY THERE ARE TO BE THOSE FEW ASSHOLES WHO WILL RUIN IT FOR 1000'S OF US. SO, I "DANNY TENAGLIA" WHO AM NOT SHY AND HAVE NO PROBLEM GETTING ON THE MICROPHONE AND TELLING THE PEOPLE EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! I WILL SAY IT AT MY PARTIES, I WILL WRITE IT ON MESSAGE BOARDS LIKE THIS ONE HERE, ETC. ALTHOUGH I KNOW ALL CLUBS DO SEARCHES, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO CHECK PEOPLES PRIVATE AREA'S WHERE THEY HIDE THE NONSENSE. SO, I, AM EVERYONE HERE JUST LIKE I DID AT MY PARTY TO PLEASE HELP US SAVE THE PARTIES BY IMMEDIATELY AND ANONYMOUSLY GET THE ATTENTION OF A SECURITY GUARD OR CLUB MANAGER AND POINT OUT THE PERSON YOU JUST WITNESSED SELLING OR BLATANTLY DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL LIKE POPPING A PILL OR SNORTING POWDERS, OR DOING THE WORST OF ALL "GHB." YOU ARE NOT BEING A RAT BY DOING THIS, YOU ARE SAVING OUR PARTIES AND OUR JOBS!

I KNOW THAT SOME OF YOU READING THIS MIGHT EVEN BE SOME PEOPLE WHO ENJOY RECREATIONAL PARTYING EVERY NOW & THEN, SO I GUESS I AM BEGGING YOU MORE THAN ANYONE TO PLEASE REALIZE THE THREAT WE ARE IN RIGHT NOW IN 2003 HERE IN NYC CLUBLAND! PLEASE HELP SAVE OUR NIGHTLIFE.

JUST THINK HOW MISERABLE WE WOULD ALL BE IF THIS CITY WAS LIKE BOSTON AND PHILLY WHERE ALL THE NIGHTCLUBS HAD TO BE CLOSED BY 2AM!!!?? HOW HORRIFIC WOULD THIS BE? NO ONE WOULD EVEN BOTHER GOING OUT AT ALL. SO ONCE AGAIN, I BEG YOU ALL TO TAKE PART IN BEING A PART OF THE SOLUTION AND CONTINUE TO POST SUGGESTIONS THAT MIGHT HELP US CLUB EMPLOYEES AND MANAGEMENT KEEP THOSE UNDESIRABLE AND EVIL PEOPLE WHO JUST MIGHT RUIN IT FOR "ALL OF US" OUT OF "OUR" PARTIES. "P L E A S E"!

--------------------------------->

I HOPE YOU ALL APPRECIATE MY POST, SORRY FOR IT BEING SO LONG, AND I WISH EVERYONE NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR ALL OF US INVOLVED.

SINCERELY,

danny tenaglia

amen. and AMEN on the loft space.

it's so true when i think about Boston and Philly. I've partied in both places and it downright FRIGHTENS me to think NYC would go that way. You have no idea how MISERABLE it is for 1:30 to arrive and you're just getting fired up, and the DJ is dropping their last few tracks... or how annoying and sad it is to get off from work and go straight to the club, knowing that even if you get there as early as 6 (AS IF they're open that early!), you still won't get the full effect of really enjoying a good party all through the night.

and klohe... "Tell your friends not to come here" ;)

so so true. :( i just wish people listened.

Much respect for the guy....

I totally see where the guy is coming from.

But, he referred to people who do drugs as 'evil.'

These are nightclubs we're talking about. I think he needs to put things in better perspective. If anyone else on this board labeled someone who has done drugs as evil, people would rip the kid a new asshole...

Originally posted by mattm2o

I think he meant the Evil people who may FUCK it up 4 the rest of us, the man is adamit about drugs he dosent want anything to do with them, but hey thats his opinion and hes just saying what he wants!

I guess so, and I'm just saying what I want.

No ifs ands or buts about it, the guy commands a lot of respect, and he has mine. But, thats just a stupid thing to say. Evil is a really strong word, and a kid who pops a pill when he's out at a club, is not an evil person.

Originally posted by zeeker

I guess so, and I'm just saying what I want.

No ifs ands or buts about it, the guy commands a lot of respect, and he has mine. But, thats just a stupid thing to say. Evil is a really strong word, and a kid who pops a pill when he's out at a club, is not an evil person.

Well

Why Dont you tell him how you feel!

DTourism2@aol.com there is his email address let him know how you feel, I gaurentee he will read it and respond to you!

Yeah, I think he means those that blatantly use it, like the countless times I've seen kids on the dance floor swigging out of a bottle of G like it was rum & coke. Or kids taking bumps off their hands and forgetting to wipe the powder off their noses. Damn, no one's saying you can't get high because we can't stop you anyway, do it in a way that respects the space you're in and others around you! Most of all, respect yourself.

Originally posted by sheendawg

Or kids taking bumps off their hands and forgetting to wipe the powder off their noses. Damn, no one's saying you can't get high because we can't stop you anyway, do it in a way that respects the space you're in and others around you!

....and this makes people evil?

Dude, I know what he's trying to say. But that is an extreme way of putting it. I don't care it some kid is walking around Arc with a needle stuff in his vein. he may be a mixed up kid who needs help, but the kid isn't an evil person.

Main Entry: [1]evil

Pronunciation: 'E-v&l, British often & US also 'E-(")vil

Function: adjective

Inflected Form(s): evil·er or evil·ler; evil·est or evil·lest

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English yfel; akin to Old High German ubil evil

Date: before 12th century

1 a : morally reprehensible : SINFUL, WICKED <an evil impulse> b : arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a man of evil reputation>

2 a : archaic : INFERIOR b : causing discomfort or repulsion : OFFENSIVE <an evil odor> c : DISAGREEABLE <woke late and in an evil temper>

3 a : causing harm : PERNICIOUS <the evil institution of slavery> b : marked by misfortune : UNLUCKY

- evil adverb, archaic

- evil·ly /-(l)E/ adverb

- evil·ness /-n&s/ noun

Pronunciation Key

© 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Merriam-Webster Privacy Policy

As someone whose bills get paid from our lovely scene I agree 100000000000000000000% with Danny.

Hey, cottoncandy! :)

Zeeker, let's go with definitions two and three. Causing discomfort, repulsion or harm. Discomfort and repulsion to those that may not use or don't want to be around those who do blatantly, and harm to the people who make a LIVING making sure we have a place to go and party, and that we're safe and entertained while there. I don't think the kids who use blatantly are evil, just selfish and stupid but the word choice does fit when we look at the definitions.

Hey, cottoncandy! :)

Zeeker, let's go with definitions two and three. Causing discomfort, repulsion or harm. Discomfort and repulsion to those that may not use or don't want to be around those who do blatantly, and harm to the people who make a LIVING making sure we have a place to go and party, and that we're safe and entertained while there. I don't think the kids who use blatantly are evil, just selfish and stupid but the word choice does fit when we look at the definitions.

ha, dude, I'm not gonna sit here and argue over definitions. I mean, 'wicked' 'archaic' are also synonyms for the word, and they are very extreme words to use...Look at the usage they use in the definition...one dealing with slavery. Doing drugs and enslaving people are on drastically different levels. But, you agree with me anyway, kids who openly use are not evil, but rather selfish. So, we're in agreement, why are you arguing?:)

Much respect for the guy....

I totally see where the guy is coming from.

But, he referred to people who do drugs as 'evil.'

These are nightclubs we're talking about. I think he needs to put things in better perspective. If anyone else on this board labeled someone who has done drugs as evil, people would rip the kid a new asshole...

I think youre taking Dt's use of the word "evil" out of context. By "evil" i doubt he means the occasional drug user, or the partier who parties responsibly, but rather the two scourges of the club world; drug dealers, and people who ABUSE drugs.

With abuse, its one thing to pop a pill, or smoke a joint, but its another to let the "partying" get out of hand. Popping massive amounts of pills, and Swigging gallons of G are not gonna help yourself, or clubs. This abuse leads to problems such as Od'ing, addiction or even death. Once a club gets a rep for sending out half conscience kids out into the streets after an event is over, sooner or later the authorities are going to get involved to see "whats up".

In regards to drug dealing, I feel this is the real "evil" of clubs in NYC. Drug dealing benefits no one and harms everyone. Clubs that turn a blind eye to it, will only hurt themselves in the long run. Mgmt, security, and owners support this. Their continued support of such an evil trade will only, again, get the attention of the city which will have no choice but to shut down a party thats getting out of hand.

I hope more people will heed the words of DT. The man's right on all points, and I respect him for taking a stand on such a senstive issue.

icon14.gif DT

Yeah, I think he means those that blatantly use it, like the countless times I've seen kids on the dance floor swigging out of a bottle of G like it was rum & coke. Or kids taking bumps off their hands and forgetting to wipe the powder off their noses. Damn, no one's saying you can't get high because we can't stop you anyway, do it in a way that respects the space you're in and others around you! Most of all, respect yourself.

I agree... i dont think he's trying to say anyone who does drugs is evil, he's just trying to express that their actions (when blatently obvious) cause "evil" effects like the closing of clubs. He's just trying to take a stand against stupidity that ends up hurting the entire nightlife scene. There's nothing wrong with doing a line or popping a pill, just dont make it so blatently obvious or people (like cops) will come to believe that drugs are indeed the sole basis of clubs.

I would expect he's also directing the term "evil" at the drug dealers who openly exploit the club scene to make a profit, and by doing so endanger the legitimacy of the entire scene.

I think the saying "You dont know what you have until its gone" fits this situation. Eventhough most of us here dont like Exit (just generalizing), it keeps everything in even proportions. It lets that crowd stay there. With these two clubs closing, sure, other places are gonna be packed, making more money, but that crowd that is coming in might not be what they are used to.

I hope, for the sake of everyone who goes out, this is an awakening. Be responsible. Sure, everyone like to feel good. But look at yourself. Be in control. No need for that certain excess that can ruin your life.

I know its only a club but im praying for SF's re-opening. To lose another Legendary spot in the NYC club scene would be horrible.

ha, dude, I'm not gonna sit here and argue over definitions. I mean, 'wicked' 'archaic' are also synonyms for the word, and they are very extreme words to use...Look at the usage they use in the definition...one dealing with slavery. Doing drugs and enslaving people are on drastically different levels. But, you agree with me anyway, kids who openly use are not evil, but rather selfish. So, we're in agreement, why are you arguing?:)

Maaaaaayun, ain't nobody arguing with you! I was pointing out the variety of context. Now let's go do some bumps at Cheetah. :laugh:

*sike*

I don't care it some kid is walking around Arc with a needle stuff in his vein. he may be a mixed up kid who needs help, but the kid isn't an evil person.

If that kid draws the attention of an undercover cop who ends up shutting the party down because of an incident like that, then yes he IS an evil person. I could care less if he breast fed baby kittens. Actions speak louder than words, and if he fucks up a good thing for everyone just so he can get his fix, and puts people's jobs at risk [remember a club is a business], because he's too stupid/lazy/ignorant/focused on getting high, then yeah he's evil. Evil enough for me to want to throttle the fucking shit out of him and dump his mutilated useless corpse in the east river because it is him and people like him who are primarily responsible for why we lose great clubs.

Originally posted by DT

SO, I, AM EVERYONE HERE JUST LIKE I DID AT MY PARTY TO PLEASE HELP US SAVE THE PARTIES BY IMMEDIATELY AND ANONYMOUSLY GET THE ATTENTION OF A SECURITY GUARD OR CLUB MANAGER AND POINT OUT THE PERSON YOU JUST WITNESSED SELLING OR BLATANTLY DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL LIKE POPPING A PILL OR SNORTING POWDERS, OR DOING THE WORST OF ALL "GHB." YOU ARE NOT BEING A RAT BY DOING THIS, YOU ARE SAVING OUR PARTIES AND OUR JOBS!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

drug sells and club like exit and sf get lotta money from that.lotta people come to clubs to do drugs or find some or sell it.

if there r like no drugs at all in the clubs then i think that percantage of population in the club will decrease and maybe the club shuts down too.

thats jus my 2 cent