Clubplanet Nightlife Community

has picotto surpassed cox??

who is the most popular techno dj today?? has mauro picotto surpassed cox in world wide popularity?? i'm not talking skill here, cause that can be debated forever with guys names like hawtin, dave clarke, hell, carola, bailey etc etc thrown into the mix. i'm talking in means of popularity, it seems like every joe schmo knows who picotto is right now. similar to how it was 3-4+ years ago with cox. just curious as to what u people think

Originally posted by FlipsSOE

who is the most popular techno dj today?? has mauro picotto surpassed cox in world wide popularity?? i'm not talking skill here, cause that can be debated forever with guys names like hawtin, dave clarke, hell, carola, bailey etc etc thrown into the mix. i'm talking in means of popularity, it seems like every joe schmo knows who picotto is right now. similar to how it was 3-4+ years ago with cox. just curious as to what u people think

I personally LOVE Mauro Picotto....IMO the reason Carl Cox hasn't been so "popular" here is because he rarely comes here, so no one really has anything to say about him:)

mauro isnt technically a good dj he sucks at mixing, very simple mixing 5-6 secs but he knows how to work a crowd. Mauro is popular just because he made komodo, arabian pleasure, pulsar, baguatte, taub?, proximus, lizard and all those other tracks. After making "cheese" trance he jumped on the techno bandwagon...so everyone thinks he is a techno dj, but hes not.

Better djs than him are:

Adam Beyer

Dj rush = GOd of schranz!!!

Chris liebing

Monkia kruse

Gayle san

Jeff mills

Sven vath

all of them use 3 tables just like cox.....if you want to check out adamn beyer come out to lunatarium this saturday march 29!!! he is good techno/schranz

www.tronictreatment.com

I think Carl cox is still a lot more widely known and popular. He's just been around longer. Just look at the albums the two guys have released so far. Not arguing who's are better. But Carl Cox's albums are so much more widely known.

Originally posted by Taub

After making "cheese" trance he jumped on the techno bandwagon...so everyone thinks he is a techno dj, but hes not.

I wouldn't go that far....

Yes he did make some cheese trance, yes he still does, but one of his strengths is his diversity. He didnt jump on a bandwagon, he did both at the same time, and still does.

He was pumping hard italian techno in 97 man, i wouldnt exactly call that jumpin on a bandwagon, its possible to say he jumped on the trance bandwagon, but not the techno one.

I personally am a big fan of his techno productions, so i dont care if he jumped on the bandwagon or not, but i havent seen either of them live, so im no judge.

But Picotto is in the same class as Tiesto, they both hit the A-list about the same time, which is much harder to without production skills in todays scene, rather than just DJ skills as many of the older big names had done (and came out with productions after they were already huge... oaky, sasha, etc)

Originally posted by solbeam

I love Picotto but Cox is the man!!! Cox is just different, imo. I can't wait for him to return to NY...

Same here ;)

I personally LOVE Mauro Picotto....IMO the reason Carl Cox hasn't been so "popular" here is because he rarely comes here, so no one really has anything to say about him:)

That's because he's too busy playing all over the world to just be in NY. He's one of the hardest working dj's around, and travels Soooooo much, it's hard to have any type of residency.

picotto didnt jump on any techno bandwagon.. most of his productions have such a unique sound you can almost tell immediately that he produced them. the BXR sound was pioneered by picotto.. and almost no one else plays the same style as him (call it a matter of taste if you must)..

but i would still say cox is a better dj and is more well-known, and would still attract a huge crowd anytime he comes around.

Originally posted by somebitch

i like cox better, his music is funkier. :D from what i have heard anyway.

Absolutely. I've only heard Picotto once, and I absolutely hated it. The tekhouse he threw down was great, but the rest of his set was not at all my style.

The only reason Picotto might be more popular, in NY anyway, is because he's here more often. But then again- everyone gets all in a frenzy (myself included) whenever Cox comes around. I love the guy... he's like a great big teddy bear. :)

Originally posted by dialectics

cox has been absent these past few months... not just in nyc but all over. maybe he's spending time with his family and chilling out for a while.

Nah he's been playing loads over here,since the beggining of Febuary he has been on a 20 date University tour which finishes at the beggining of April,he has a date at Bedrock and Code in April and his 'Carl Cox Global' arena will be at Coloursfest in May and Global gathering in july.

Edit-and Picotto will never be as good as Cox.